Start by marking “Do You Have a Dog?” as Want to Read:
Do You Have a Dog?

Do You Have a Dog?

3.36 of 5 stars 3.36  ·  rating details  ·  44 ratings  ·  15 reviews
This follow-up to Do You Have a Cat? introduces readers to a whole new collection of historical figures Admiral Richard Byrd, Jackson Pollack, Annie Oakley. Eileen Spinelli's whimsical, rhyming text and the colorful and energetic paintings of Geraldo Val rio help bring these dog owners to life.
Published October 15th 2011 by Eerdmans Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Do You Have a Dog?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Do You Have a Dog?

Barbara
In rhyming verses, Eileen Spinelli pays homage to the canine friends of famous folks throughout history. She aims verses at eight different historical figures and describes the relationship each of them had with one special dog. For instance, she describes the adventures of Merriwether Lewis and Seaman, Admiral Richard Byrd and Igloo, Billie Holiday and Mister, and then mentions the fact that Helen Keller, Sir Isaac Newton, and Orville Wright all had dogs. The end papers provide additional infor ...more
Michelle  Simpson
This was not really what I expected. It is a book of fun rhymes about dogs, and it shares various people from history who had dogs. I am thinking that many of the young children who would choose this book will be unfamiliar with some of the people in the book, although it might provide a simple way to introduce some of them.
Ashley Bell
The book, Do you have a dog?, written by Eileen Spinelli and Illustrated by Geraldo Valerio, is a very fun children's picture book. It asks, "do you have a dog" then procedes to tell you a bunch of different people who have dogs and what their dogs do and what the dogs helped the owner with. Then in the end it describes all different types of dogs and asks you the same question from the beginning..."do you have a dog?"

I gave this book three our of five stars because it has beautiful full page i
Kelsey Yates
Cute. Each page shares a rhyme about a famous person and his/her dog.
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
This book, the latest combined effort of Spinelli and Valerio, takes a look at famous dogs in history, a topic that has been little studied or written about for children. The author shares cool facts about the dogs of famous people throughout history in that new way that authors are combining fiction and nonfiction to make something new and fresh. The rhymes about each dog are sly and spry, and the illustrations make the animals seem like they are ready to jump up and sit in our laps.
Becky
This a simple group biography of famous dogs. This would be good for younger students when talking about people, or it could be used in a unit to show that lots of pets do good works. The coverpages also need to be read withthis boom to learn more about the dogs owners and their famous people.
Melissa
This book was very cute and a great read aloud for a classroom. The inside cover pages offer factual information about a famous individual and their dog. The storybook pages are written in verse. The illustrations are eye catching and wonderfully done.
Carol
I found it fun and informative, but it meant nothing to my 5-year-old as he had no idea who any of the historical figures were. This might be the same for a lot of the picture-book-crowd.
Sandy Brehl
Using short lively rhyming verses describe historic figures and their pet dogs. Further details about the people featured are proivided on the end papers.
Marcie
Oct 22, 2011 Marcie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Marcie by: Woodbury New Books
I didn't love this as I do most of Eileen Spinelli's books, but I can see that for the right kids this would just be fun.
Donalyn
Rhyming phrases ask readers about their dogs and highlight the dogs of notable people like Meriwether Lewis and Helen Keller.
Karen Arendt
Rhyming text tells about joys of having a dog with plenty of examples of famous people who have had dogs.
Marilyn
This is about famous people and their dogs.
Ghislaine
True facts about the dogs of historical people.
John
The follow-up to Do You Have a Cat?
Edmund
Edmund is currently reading it
Apr 04, 2015
Jenny
Jenny added it
Jun 24, 2014
Ben Worth
Ben Worth marked it as to-read
May 27, 2014
Alisha
Alisha added it
Apr 15, 2014
Deb Reddy
Deb Reddy marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2014
Becky
Becky marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2014
Gary
Gary marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Eileen Spinelli, wife of famed children's author Jerry Spinelli, is an award winning children's book author from southeastern Pennsylvania.
More about Eileen Spinelli...
Somebody Loves You, Mr. Hatch Where I Live The Dancing Pancake Sophie's Masterpiece: A Spider's Tale Silly Tilly