Start by marking “The Magic School Bus Inside a Beehive (The Magic School Bus, #8)” as Want to Read:
The Magic School Bus Inside a Beehive (The Magic School Bus, #8)

The Magic School Bus Inside a Beehive (The Magic School Bus #8)

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  694 ratings  ·  43 reviews
To celebrate its 20th anniversary, Scholastic is re-releasing the ten original Magic School Bus titles in paperback. With updated scientific information, the bestselling science series ever is back!

When the Magic School Bus turns into a beehive, Ms. Frizzle's class learns firsthand about how workers, drones, and the queen bees live together. Readers will be abuzz with know
Published January 1st 1998 by Scholastic Press (first published January 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Magic School Bus Inside a Beehive, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Magic School Bus Inside a Beehive

The Big Field by Anne MorddelIs a Blue Whale the Biggest Thing There Is? by Robert E. WellsThe Magic School Bus and the Electric Field Trip by Joanna ColeThe Magic School Bus on the Ocean Floor by Joanna ColeThe Magic School Bus Inside a Hurricane by Joanna Cole
Science for Kids
15th out of 168 books — 39 voters
My Keyboard Was Hi Jacked! by Mammy OakleeAre You A Bee? by Judy AllenThe Big Field by Anne MorddelThe Magic School Bus Inside a Beehive by Joanna ColeThe Best Book of Bugs by Claire Llewellyn
Insects for Kids
3rd out of 19 books — 15 voters

More lists with this book...

Jen
I don't even care that I'm older, the Magic School Bus series is AWESOME. These are great for kids and just as cool for adults. I spent the greater part of a dinner with my boyfriend discussing how newborn queen bees kill each other until only one is left thanks to this book.

Seriously.
Samantha
This book is a mix between fiction and nonfiction. The students and teacher shrink down and turn into bees (fiction.) They then explore different aspects of bees from pollination to swarming (nonfiction.) The book does end with a disclaimer, that everything that occured in the book happns much slower in the real world. I'm a little bit sad that the class didn't have a chance to talk to the beekeeper as well. I used to love the television series, but the books aren't my favorite. I don't think th ...more
Megan Bernhard
The Magic School bus series is an exciting way to learn about topics they may not always be the easiest to learn about. These books bring light to topics and allow the reading to interact with the information. Throughout this story Ms Frizzle's class is transformed into bee size and get an inside look of bee life and beehives. The text is very good for presenting a lot of information in a way that doesn't lose the readers attention. Each page is filled with speech bubbles about what the students ...more
Samantha
It was a beautiful Spring day, and Ms. Frizzle's class was studying insects. On this particular afternoon, they were taking a close look at honey bees. While waiting for the beekeeper to come present some useful information, Ms. Frizzle's elbow accidently knocks into a "strange little lever". In the blink of an eye the school bus turns into a beehive, and all the children are bees themselves! The children learn how to obtain nectar, pack pollen, and use their antennaes to feel and smell. Did you ...more
Stephanie Koerner
Grade/interest level: PreK-3rd
Reading level: 520L
Genre: Information text, nonfiction, adventure, humor

Main Characters: Ms. Frizzle
Setting: The classroom, the bus, a beehive
POV: dialogue and narrator

Summary:
The book starts with Ms. Frizzle’s class looking at insects in the classroom. Ms. Frizzle decides it is time for the students to see firsthand what it is like to live as a bee. They all climb aboard the Magic School Bus and are turned in to bees. On each page there is a paper written by a stud
Jo
I love, love, love The Magic School Bus, both the television show and the books. They're a fun, educational way to get children interested in and learning about science and the world around them. They definitely teach me a thing or two along the way as well. ;)

In this edition Ms. Fizzle takes the class on a field trip to a beehive so they can observe honeybees. They also discuss other insects and there are great illustrations of bugs and the different varieties of bees. There are 20,000 differen
Hannah Duncan
All of the magic school bus books are very informational and fun to read! I actually learned something on at least every other page just from this one book. Although I am not a fan of bees I did enjoy learning all about them in this fun yet informational book!
Dolly
Feb 19, 2009 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a mix between fiction and non-fiction. It's an educational book about bees that we found in the non-fiction section. But, of course, the parts of the story where the class shrinks down and becomes bees to explore the hive is fiction.

It's a difficult book to read aloud because it's more like a graphic novel, with all of the dialogue balloons, text, and scattered info tidbits across each page. But our girls really enjoyed it and I think they'll enjoy reading more of these, especially as t
Heather
My generic review of the Magic School Bus books -

This is the older style book which has lots of dialouge asides on each page. It makes it a little more awkward to read aloud, but my kids like the interaction between the characters and the silly puns.

These books clearly explain a certain topic. There are often additional activities at the end of the book for further learning.

We read these for 'fun' during picture book time and we read them when learning about a certain subject.

Most of the books
Gloria Green
Good non fiction info meant for kids, but anyone can benefit from.
Becky
I ended up reading this book simply because the little Ladybug who visits me daily at my bookstore (visits? more like, LIVES with me... *smiles*) chose it for the book of the day for me to read aloud to her. And I actually learned things about bees that I had not previously known before! It was fun to share that learning experience with Ladybug. While the plot in the Magic School bus books is always the same, they are still the most enjoyable, and memorable way, I think, for young ones to learn ...more
Anja Manning
I had my problems at first with the blending of fact and fiction, but the book includes well-done pages at the back of the book that clarify this issue in a humorous way.

The factual information included in this book is accurate and well-presented. Some readers may struggle with having to guide their own reading, since this book is not written in uninterrupted narrative. The reading experience is similar to a graphic novel.

Any reader will go away with some new knowledge on bees.
Hillary
The Magic School bus series portrays a variety of informational topics for kids, in a picture book format. Unfortunately, the text and illustrations are crowded and scattered. The information about bees in the text was helpful, but all the extra information on the sides was distracting. This could be fun for browsing and re-reading, but not the best as a main source for information.
Little Miss and the Legomeister
"I'm not the kind of person who has a favorite insect." -Arnold

I love the Magic School Bus books. They combine a fun plot with information about science. These original books are the best; they’re more detailed and have more facts, definitions and explanations in the sidebars. These were Legomeister’s favorites a few years ago, and Little Miss loves them now too.

Shelby
I love these books, they have so much information to learn! This one was really cool to learn about what bees do!
Ryan Dreier
Mar 31, 2013 Ryan Dreier rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Children who love to learn about the world around them
Recommended to Ryan by: UWM SOIS
I never read a lot of MSB books in my adolescence, and did I ever miss out. I like the mix of fantasy and fact here, and Cole does clarify was can actually happen and what can't. Very informative books, great illustrations and I love the design. I would love to read more and explore this series more when time allows.
Hillary
A mix of fiction and nonfiction, Mrs. Frizzle takes her class to a bee hive and ends up getting an 'inside' look at what it really takes to maintain a colony of bees. Very informational. Does include side reports from students that provide more facts on the topic being discussed.
Eugene Magee
This is an excellent book. It is very descriptive on how honey bees produce honey, and it gives detailed illustrations about the honey bees and their beehives. It would be very helpful when teaching children about honey bees and beehives.
Nancy Vu
This is a cute book about how bees live. Ms. Frizzle took the kids to a beehive so they can study about the bee. They studied the anatomy of bees and learn about the different kinds of bees. Great book for grades K-2.
Amanda Stacy
This is a awesome book about how bees live in their bee hives. Ms. Frizzle took the kids to a beehive so they can study about the bees. The class learns about different bees and how they live. I would suggest for grades K-2.
Michael D.
This is a really good book for exposing young minds to the important function that bees play in pollination of plants. The book also covers the different types of bees in a hive and their specified function in the colony.
Jenny
These books are always so fun and jammed full of facts. This one was no exception. Out of all of the bee books we have read lately, this one was the boys favorite. 4.5 stars would be more accurate in the rating.
Deana Pittman
Abbi loved this book because it is science! Her favorite part is when the two queen bees fight. There is so much great information on bees amd their life cycle!
Bree
Notes:
very informative, kids learn tons
these MSB books are not read for their narrative quality
non-fiction done in an intriguing way
Dylan & Belle at LearnPlayFun
I really liked this book. I learned about how bees made the waxed cells. It's called beeswax.

Rated and reviewed by Dylan, age 8.
Morgan
Reading this with another guided reading group! They love it because it is informative and funny. Gotta love Miss Frizzle!
Lisa
Picture Book 29
This is a great interactive book learning about beehives. The pictures are really fun to look at as well.
Ashley Kohls
Ms. Frizzle takes her class inside a beehive to learn many new things about the bees and how they live.
melanie (lit*chick)
I love almost all of these. We used these for homeschooling, and the kids still read them. Lots to see.
billbo baggins
i think its cool and funny and i think the bus is cool and i think ms frizzle is cool and funny
  • The Magic School Bus Meets The Rot Squad: A Book About Decomposition
  • The Magic School Bus Hops Home: A Book About Animal Habitats
  • Wild Whale Watch (The Magic School Chapter Book, #3)
  • Insect Invaders (The Magic School Bus Chapter Book, #11)
  • Dinosaur Detectives (The Magic School Bus Chapter Book, #9)
  • Amazing Magnetism (The Magic School Bus Chapter Book, #12)
  • The Great Shark Escape (The Magic School Bus Chapter Book, #7)
  • Twister Trouble (The Magic School Bus Chapter Book, #5)
  • Germs Make Me Sick! (Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science, Stage 2) (Reading Rainbow Book)
  • A Remainder of One
  • Pumpkin Pumpkin
  • If You Hopped Like A Frog
  • Why Do Leaves Change Color?
  • Shiver Me Letters: A Pirate ABC
  • The Magic School Bus Spins A Web: A Book About Spiders (Magic School Bus)
  • Millie Waits for the Mail
Joanna Cole who also writes under the pseudonym B. J. Barnet is an author of children’s books who teaches science.

She is most famous as the author of The Magic School Bus series of children's books. Joanna Cole has written over 250 books ranging from her first book Cockroach to her famous series Magic School Bus.

Cole was born in Newark, New Jersey, and grew up in nearby East Orange. She loved scie
More about Joanna Cole...

The Magic School Bus (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Magic School Bus at the Waterworks (Magic School Bus, #1)
  • The Magic School Bus Inside the Earth (The Magic School Bus, #2)
  • The Magic School Bus Inside the Human Body (The Magic School Bus, #3)
  • The Magic School Bus Lost in the Solar System (The Magic School Bus, #4)
  • The Magic School Bus on the Ocean Floor (The Magic School Bus, #5)
  • The Magic School Bus in the Time of the Dinosaurs (The Magic School Bus, #6)
  • The Magic School Bus Inside a Hurricane (The Magic School Bus, #7)
  • The Magic School Bus and the Electric Field Trip (The Magic School Bus, #9)
  • The Magic School Bus Explores the Senses (The Magic School Bus, #10)
  • The Magic School Bus and the Science Fair Expedition (The Magic School Bus, #11)
The Magic School Bus Inside the Human Body (The Magic School Bus, #3) The Magic School Bus Lost in the Solar System (The Magic School Bus, #4) The Magic School Bus on the Ocean Floor (The Magic School Bus, #5) The Magic School Bus Inside Ralphie: A Book About Germs The Magic School Bus Sees Stars: A Book About Stars