Start by marking “Ups And Downs: A Book About Floating And Sinking (The Magic School Bus)” as Want to Read:
Ups And Downs: A Book About Floating And Sinking (The Magic School Bus)

Ups And Downs: A Book About Floating And Sinking (Magic School Bus TV Tie-Ins)

4.41 of 5 stars 4.41  ·  rating details  ·  1,459 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Is there a monster living in Walker Lake? That's what Ms.Fizzle's class is trying to find out. The kids try to dive down under the water, but the bus won't go! The class has to figure out how to turn their floater into a sinker so they can solve the mystery of the underwater monster. Take a dive with the Magic School Bus, and learn why things float and sink!
Published February 1st 1997 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Ups And Downs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ups And Downs

Eva Leger
Julia loves the Magic School Bus shows and books. As soon as she stumbles upon a new one at the library I know what we'll be reading - over and over - for a few days. This was only read once and the reason for that is because Julia found another Magic School Bus book about dinosaurs at the same time. Since dinosaurs are just about her favorite thing in the whole wide world (besides her mommy of course...) The Magic School Bus: In the Time of the Dinosaurs was the one we read over and over and ov ...more
Keely Shannon
This book doesn't have as much teaching potential as some of the other books in the series, but it's still a great read with a solid theme.
Kayla
Miss Frizzle and her class had my rapt attention as a child. I loved science (still do) and these books gave me the both of best worlds when it came to imagination and science. Next to Bill Nigh, The Magic School bus was my favorite teacher. This particular book was the first book I read in the series. Along with the show itself, these books have inspired my childhood sense of exploration.
Dolly
Feb 09, 2010 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This was a good book in the Magic School Bus series, but I think it was better as a television episode. It was easier to visualize the concepts and how it worked. But in any case, our girls love these books and we read every one that we can get our hands on. It's always the first book they want to read.
Amy Olson
The Magic School Bus book series are great double duty books that work in literacy and in science! The Magic School Bus Ups and Downs explores the scientific theory of sinking and floating in kid friendly writing. Common reading strategies like predicting, doing a picture walk, inferring etc. can all be incorporated in this book.
Little Miss and the Legomeister
I love the Magic School Bus books. I've read quite a few over the years. Legomeister loved them a couple of years ago. He still checks them out sometimes, but he doesn't ask me to read them to him anymore. Now it's Little Miss who requests them.

The Magic School Bus Characters learn the principles of buoyancy and uncover a fraud.
Bethany
I would love to read this book to students and then do a hands-on activity so they could see what does float and sink. They also could use a log sheet to make predicitons of what will float or sink based on their prior knowledge.

Topic: floating and sinking
Grades: 1-5
Mary Dolce
May 13, 2007 Mary Dolce rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Kids as young as 4 and up
Shelves: picturebooks
A regular pick off our shelf by my 6 and 4 year old for me to read to them and educational too ! I get into doing the voices of the characters and its one of those books that I don't mind reading a number of times (I guess if I did, It would be hidden somewhere..)
Adrienne
My son liked the story but got confused between what was real and what wasn't. He understood the explanations about floating and sinking but then thought that the bus could actually crumple. He had a hard time deciding what was true and what was not.
Kirei
There is a monster at the bottom of the pond...or is there? Ms. Frisby and the kids find out for sure. The science was a little confusing.
Thimali Purnima
Thimali Purnima marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Veronica Diaz
Veronica Diaz marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
  • Twister Trouble (The Magic School Bus Chapter Book, #5)
  • Voyage to the Volcano (Magic School Bus Science Chapter Books, #15)
  • The Giant Germ (The Magic School Bus Chapter Book, #6)
  • The Search For The Missing Bones (The Magic School Bus Chapter Book, #2)
  • The Great Shark Escape (The Magic School Bus Chapter Book, #7)
  • Expedition Down Under (The Magic School Bus Chapter Book, #10)
  • The Magic School Bus Hops Home: A Book About Animal Habitats
  • The Magic School Bus Spins A Web: A Book About Spiders (Magic School Bus)
  • The Berenstain Bears Visit the Dentist
  • Mr. Noisy
  • Franklin Has a Sleepover
Joanna Cole who also writes under the pseudonym B. J. Barnet is an author of children’s books who teaches science.

She is most famous as the author of The Magic School Bus series of children's books. Joanna Cole has written over 250 books ranging from her first book Cockroach to her famous series Magic School Bus.

Cole was born in Newark, New Jersey, and grew up in nearby East Orange. She loved scie
More about Joanna Cole...
The Magic School Bus Inside the Human Body (The Magic School Bus, #3) The Magic School Bus Lost in the Solar System (The Magic School Bus, #4) The Magic School Bus on the Ocean Floor (The Magic School Bus, #5) The Magic School Bus Sees Stars: A Book About Stars The Magic School Bus Inside Ralphie: A Book About Germs