Start by marking “Ups And Downs: A Book About Floating And Sinking (The Magic School Bus)” as Want to Read:
Ups And Downs: A Book About Floating And Sinking (The Magic School Bus)

Ups And Downs: A Book About Floating And Sinking (Magic School Bus TV Tie-Ins)

4.42  ·  Rating Details ·  1,705 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Is there a monster living in Walker Lake? That's what Ms.Fizzle's class is trying to find out. The kids try to dive down under the water, but the bus won't go! The class has to figure out how to turn their floater into a sinker so they can solve the mystery of the underwater monster. Take a dive with the Magic School Bus, and learn why things float and sink!
Published February 1st 1997 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Ups And Downs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ups And Downs

Eva Leger
Jan 27, 2011 Eva Leger rated it really liked it
Shelves: julias-books
Julia loves the Magic School Bus shows and books. As soon as she stumbles upon a new one at the library I know what we'll be reading - over and over - for a few days. This was only read once and the reason for that is because Julia found another Magic School Bus book about dinosaurs at the same time. Since dinosaurs are just about her favorite thing in the whole wide world (besides her mommy of course...) The Magic School Bus: In the Time of the Dinosaurs was the one we read over and over and ov ...more
EDUC535
Jun 22, 2016 EDUC535 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Danielle M

The Magic School Bus Ups and Downs: A Book About Floating and Sinking
Have you ever wanted to go on a field trip with Ms. Frizzle? Now is your chance! Take a "dive" into learning about sinking and floating with the Frizz.

This book is a great way to teach opposites to students with real life connections.
Dolly
Feb 09, 2010 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This was a good book in the Magic School Bus series, but I think it was better as a television episode. It was easier to visualize the concepts and how it worked. But in any case, our girls love these books and we read every one that we can get our hands on. It's always the first book they want to read.
Amy Olson
Apr 04, 2011 Amy Olson rated it really liked it
The Magic School Bus book series are great double duty books that work in literacy and in science! The Magic School Bus Ups and Downs explores the scientific theory of sinking and floating in kid friendly writing. Common reading strategies like predicting, doing a picture walk, inferring etc. can all be incorporated in this book.
Little Miss and the Legomeister
I love the Magic School Bus books. I've read quite a few over the years. Legomeister loved them a couple of years ago. He still checks them out sometimes, but he doesn't ask me to read them to him anymore. Now it's Little Miss who requests them.

The Magic School Bus Characters learn the principles of buoyancy and uncover a fraud.
Adrienne
My son liked the story but got confused between what was real and what wasn't. He understood the explanations about floating and sinking but then thought that the bus could actually crumple. He had a hard time deciding what was true and what was not.
Bethany
Jan 17, 2013 Bethany rated it really liked it
I would love to read this book to students and then do a hands-on activity so they could see what does float and sink. They also could use a log sheet to make predicitons of what will float or sink based on their prior knowledge.

Topic: floating and sinking
Grades: 1-5
Mary Dolce
May 13, 2007 Mary Dolce rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Kids as young as 4 and up
Shelves: picturebooks
A regular pick off our shelf by my 6 and 4 year old for me to read to them and educational too ! I get into doing the voices of the characters and its one of those books that I don't mind reading a number of times (I guess if I did, It would be hidden somewhere..)
ABC
Aug 06, 2011 ABC rated it liked it
There is a monster at the bottom of the pond...or is there? Ms. Frisby and the kids find out for sure. The science was a little confusing.
Keely Shannon
Jun 28, 2014 Keely Shannon rated it really liked it
This book doesn't have as much teaching potential as some of the other books in the series, but it's still a great read with a solid theme.
Theresa
Jul 26, 2011 Theresa rated it liked it
Ups And Downs: A Book About Floating And Sinking
Cole, Joanna
this is a book about science and exploration. looking at float or sinking
Jess
Jess rated it it was amazing
Mar 04, 2012
Katie Bodden
Katie Bodden rated it it was amazing
Jun 03, 2014
Heather Koc
Heather Koc rated it it was amazing
Jun 12, 2012
Jassi
Jassi rated it it was amazing
Apr 24, 2012
Jenn
Jenn rated it it was amazing
Jul 26, 2016
Kirstin Warren
Kirstin Warren rated it really liked it
Jul 24, 2014
Hasmig
Hasmig rated it it was amazing
Dec 29, 2011
Katherine Marschel
Katherine Marschel rated it it was amazing
Feb 02, 2013
Tracey Smith
Tracey Smith rated it it was amazing
Mar 04, 2014
Elicia
Elicia rated it it was amazing
Sep 26, 2011
Samantha Davis
Samantha Davis rated it it was amazing
Apr 08, 2012
Monika
Monika rated it really liked it
Dec 09, 2013
Leah
Leah rated it it was ok
Jul 27, 2012
Pamela
Pamela rated it it was amazing
Dec 06, 2011
Crystal
Crystal rated it liked it
Sep 20, 2013
Jen
Jen rated it it was amazing
Jan 26, 2013
Mollie
Mollie rated it it was amazing
May 08, 2014
Emma Whitehead
Emma Whitehead rated it really liked it
Apr 12, 2014
  • Twister Trouble (The Magic School Bus Chapter Book, #5)
  • The Magic School Bus Gets Programmed
  • Voyage to the Volcano (Magic School Bus Science Chapter Books, #15)
  • The Search For The Missing Bones (The Magic School Bus Chapter Book, #2)
  • The Giant Germ (The Magic School Bus Chapter Book, #6)
  • The Great Shark Escape (The Magic School Bus Chapter Book, #7)
  • Expedition Down Under (The Magic School Bus Chapter Book, #10)
  • The Magic School Bus Gets Cold Feet: A Book About Hot- and Cold-Blooded Animals
  • The Magic School Bus Meets The Rot Squad: A Book About Decomposition
  • The Magic School Bus Hops Home: A Book About Animal Habitats
  • The Magic School Bus: Butterfly and the Bog Beast: A Book about Butterfly Camouflage
  • The Magic School Bus Fights Germs
  • Franklin's School Play (Franklin Series)
  • Little Miss Neat
Joanna Cole who also writes under the pseudonym B. J. Barnet is an author of children’s books who teaches science.

She is most famous as the author of The Magic School Bus series of children's books. Joanna Cole has written over 250 books ranging from her first book Cockroach to her famous series Magic School Bus.

Cole was born in Newark, New Jersey, and grew up in nearby East Orange. She loved scie
More about Joanna Cole...

Magic School Bus TV Tie-Ins (1 - 10 of 27 books)
  • The Magic School Bus Inside Ralphie: A Book About Germs
  • The Magic School Bus Kicks Up A Storm: A Book About Weather
  • The Magic School Bus Plants Seeds: A Book About How Living Things Grow
  • The Magic School Bus In The Haunted Museum: A Book About Sound
  • The Magic School Bus Gets Baked in a Cake: A Book About Kitchen Chemistry
  • The Magic School Bus Blows Its Top: A Book About Volcanoes
  • The Magic School Bus Wet All Over: A Book About The Water Cycle
  • The Magic School Bus Gets Eaten: A Book About Food Chains: A Book About Food Chains
  • The Magic School Bus Makes a Rainbow: A Book About Color