Start by marking “The Magic School Bus in the Arctic: A Book About Heat: A Book About Heat” as Want to Read:
The Magic School Bus in the Arctic: A Book About Heat: A Book About Heat

The Magic School Bus in the Arctic: A Book About Heat: A Book About Heat (Magic School Bus TV Tie-Ins)

The Magic School Bus slides into the icy arctic to learn why people, animals, and things lose heat and how they preserve it--from house insulation to walrus blubber!
Published November 1st 1998 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published January 28th 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Magic School Bus in the Arctic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Magic School Bus in the Arctic

Heather
Jun 08, 2008 Heather rated it really liked it
My generic review of the Magic School Bus books -

We really love the series. This book doesn't have all the cartoony dialouge asides that the earlier books have. There are maybe a comment or two per page instead of full conversations. Some people hate that; I think I prefer it. The page is less busy.

These books clearly explain a certain topic. There are often additional activities at the end of the book for further learning.

We read these for 'fun' during picture book time and we read them when l
Megan Phillips
This book is an excellent resource for explaining to students more about heat. This book could be used to further students understanding of heat, if they do not know enough already. This could be combined with an exciting heat lesson in order to keep students engaged and interested in heat.

I would recommend this for 1st grade and up. I think there is enough information that 1st graders could gain a basic understanding, and the older grades would still be able to enjoy this book as a refresher as
Dolly
Jul 24, 2009 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Once again, Ms. Frizzle and the kids take a fictional field trip (at one point covered in blubber fat!) to the arctic. They saw polar bears and walruses, but mainly learned about how heat radiates and dissipates and how insulation keeps us warm. Our girls love the Magic School Bus TV tie-in series of books (and the original videos, too) and we all learn when we read these stories!
Tiffany Holt
Nov 29, 2012 Tiffany Holt rated it liked it
Shelves: informational
The magic School bus in the arctic--a book about heat is a great resource to use when trying to teach kids about heat. It is a fun book with great illustrations detailing what is said in the text and the bubble comments are funny and makes you want to know what someone is gonna say next. At the end of the book there are letters to the frizzle and her kids which are funny and the last page has an experiment that the kids can do. A GREAT BOOK FOR A LESSON!
Holly Chapman
Dec 01, 2012 Holly Chapman rated it liked it
The Magic School Bus series is a great series for teachers to own for their classroom library. In this particular book, Ms. Frizzle takes her class to the arctic to learn about heat insulation. They learn about how igloos trap heat inside and blubber on animals. The series presents science in a fun and interesting way. I would use this book in classrooms from 1st-5th grade.
Rosa Cline
Apr 30, 2014 Rosa Cline rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
This was one of the better Magic School Bus Stories. My special needs teen age son and I both really enjoyed learning about the arctic and how the children figured out how to warm the bus up after it froze and wouldn't start. We even giggled outloud at how 'gross' it was when the kids covered themselves in blubber! ewww! But it was a way to keep warm. Fun educational story wonderfully written!
Little Miss and the Legomeister
I love the Magic School Bus books. I've read quite a few over the years. Legomeister loved them a couple of years ago. He still checks them out sometimes, but he doesn't ask me to read them to him anymore. Now it's Little Miss who requests them.

This one's kind of gross; they use blubber as insulation to keep themselves warm.
Landon
We almost didn't put this one the 'true-fact' shelf seeing all magical elements...but since most of the content is true, we're going to go with it. Even though it's kind of a hybrid. AND, it's more about heat than the Arctic.
Onysha
Apr 10, 2014 Onysha rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
Very basic science. The TV series tie-in is not as informative and in-depth as the original book series.

Ms. Frizzle makes the kids wear blubber suits. Blubber as in real gloopy, sticky fat. Eww...
Andrew Perry
This was one of my all time favorite books when I was in elementary school. It can be read at any elementary grade level. I would suggest using it in a science lesson to introduce the idea of heat energy and transfer between objects.
Teri
Jun 02, 2012 Teri rated it really liked it
Shelves: polar-habitats
Good! We're usually really happy with Magic School Bus. Love the "blubber blankets" in this book. :)

Bonus--watch this on Youtube
Juliette
Aug 09, 2016 Juliette rated it really liked it
It was a very, very good book because it was about the cold arctic. Arnold was not happy about the field trip, like always. The rest of the class liked it.
Mary Morgan
Mary Morgan rated it really liked it
Jun 10, 2010
Kimmy Ann
Kimmy Ann rated it it was amazing
Sep 30, 2016
Diane Trujillo
Diane Trujillo rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2016
Crystal Rutherford
Crystal Rutherford rated it it was amazing
Nov 18, 2015
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Aug 30, 2012
Rebecca Robinson
Rebecca Robinson rated it really liked it
Dec 10, 2015
Sheila Hankins
Sheila Hankins rated it it was amazing
Jul 29, 2015
Mary Malone
Mary Malone rated it it was amazing
Jul 31, 2016
Harshini
Harshini rated it it was amazing
Jul 01, 2015
Khristy
Khristy rated it it was amazing
Dec 14, 2015
Jon Gilbert
Jon Gilbert rated it it was amazing
Jun 15, 2016
James DeWees
James DeWees rated it it was amazing
Mar 26, 2016
Kristin Hoover
Kristin Hoover rated it it was amazing
May 25, 2016
Jane
Jane rated it liked it
Aug 12, 2014
Christine
Christine rated it liked it
Mar 01, 2011
Renee Gibson
Renee Gibson rated it it was amazing
Dec 22, 2014
Kath B.
Kath B. rated it liked it
Sep 24, 2010
MJ
MJ rated it really liked it
Oct 13, 2015
  • The Magic School Bus Wet All Over: A Book About The Water Cycle
  • The Magic School Bus Gets Programmed
  • The Magic School Bus Gets Cold Feet: A Book About Hot- and Cold-Blooded Animals
  • Ups And Downs: A Book About Floating And Sinking (The Magic School Bus)
  • The Magic School Bus: Butterfly and the Bog Beast: A Book about Butterfly Camouflage
  • Penguin Puzzle (The Magic School Bus Chapter Book, #8)
  • The Magic School Bus Meets The Rot Squad: A Book About Decomposition
  • Electric Storm (Magic School Bus Chapter Books, #14)

Magic School Bus TV Tie-Ins (1 - 10 of 27 books)
  • The Magic School Bus Inside Ralphie: A Book About Germs
  • The Magic School Bus Kicks Up A Storm: A Book About Weather
  • The Magic School Bus Plants Seeds: A Book About How Living Things Grow
  • The Magic School Bus In The Haunted Museum: A Book About Sound
  • The Magic School Bus Gets Baked in a Cake: A Book About Kitchen Chemistry
  • The Magic School Bus Blows Its Top: A Book About Volcanoes
  • The Magic School Bus Wet All Over: A Book About The Water Cycle
  • The Magic School Bus Gets Eaten: A Book About Food Chains: A Book About Food Chains
  • The Magic School Bus Makes a Rainbow: A Book About Color