Company's Coming

Company's Coming

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  66 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Meet Shirley and Moe. Just a regular couple from Bellmore. Today, all they are expecting is a nice, quiet dinner with a few cousins. But what do they get? Spacemen! From outer space! They don't know it yet, but with a touch of human (and alien) kindness and a heaping bowl of spaghetti and meatballs, the galaxy is about to get a little bit smaller.

Originally published to c...more
Published August 1st 2000 by Disney-Hyperion (first published 1988)

Luann
This is just too fun! I love the cute bug-like aliens who bring a gift to dinner.

My favorite lines:

Moe, when speaking of the flying saucer: "Shirl, it's not a barbecue."

Aliens: "Greetings. We come in peace. Do you have a bathroom?"
Maribel Galvez
Grade/interest level: Primary (K-2)
Reading level: 3.1 (Lexile 410L)
Genre: Science Fiction, Picture Book

Main Characters: Moe, Shirley, Aliens
Setting: Bellmore, New York
POV: Third Person Narrator

One night, a spaceship lands in Moe and Shirley’s back yard. The two aliens that step out ask the two humans if they can use their restroom, but their timing could not be worse. Shirley’s cousins are set to arrive for a spaghetti dinner, but Moe is sent into hysterics by the presence of intergalactic tra...more
Latanya
A husband and wife have very different reactions when aliens arrive at their house. The wife treats the strangers kindly, inviting them over for dinner. She encourages her husband to be courteous, but when she asks him to make potato salad, he calls the FBI instead. Tanks and machine guns are directed at the house, and as helicopters fly overhead, a neighbor stands on the sidewalk walking her poodle while wearing a scarf and housedress. This scene underscores how the characters are overreacting...more
Gabriel Wallis
I have always loved this book. It's such a simple story. Two aliens land their flying saucer in the yard of a couple living in the city of Bellmore. The wife reacts to the aliens by inviting them for dinner later in the evening, and the husband reacts by calling the FBI, who starts the wave of calling the Pentagon, the Army, the Air Force, and the Marines. The two aliens return later in the evening for dinner with a present for the couple in tow. The house was completely surrounded by the milita...more
Shelly
What happens when a spaceship lands in a backyard in Bellmore? You invite the aliens to dinner, of course.
Ina
It was the quiet, normal suburban neighborhood where Moe and Shirley were preparing to host a quiet family spaghetti dinner when....
Aliens drop in on their way to another galaxy and ask to use the bathroom. Shirley is polite to these new guests inviting them to dinner and then calmly offering drinks and appetizers once they arrive to dine. Moe, on the other hand, calls the FBI and has the house surrounded by all sorts of big military tanks and guns. There is humor in the text as well as the wond...more
Nancy
Published: 1988, Hyperion Books for Children
Age: 5-9

Funny Sci-Fi book for young kids. Boys would especially like this. Shirley and Moe, down home suburbanites from Bellmore, invite relatives for dinner and a spaceship shows up in their back yard that looks just like a barbeque. 2 aliens come out and Shirley invites them to dinner. Moe is upset and calls the FBI. The aliens, crazy relatives, and a whole arsenal show up at dinner and the fun continues. This would not work without the hilarious ill...more
Lindsey
This is just a ridiculous read with silly jokes and fun illustrations. Cute little aliens land on earth and are invited to dinner by a couple. The wife fusses over dinner while her husband freaks out that aliens will be joining them at the table. The book is full of fun comments like the aliens asking to use the restroom, the wife thinking the flying saucer was a huge grill so she reprimands him for buying one way too big, and awkward moments in a dinner party :). It was a very cute, lite read.
Zoila Avila
This story was pretty funny on how the people react to the aliens. The husband seems more overwhelmed than the wife. After the wife had invited their relatives for dinner she has more guest coming, the aliens. They seem harmless but the husband still calles the police, the military, the government,FBI,etc. And in the end the aliens turn out to be really nice guest and evern bring a gift. All kids up to 5th, 6th grade can enjoy this story.
Heather
31 months - I had to give this a couple of reads for it to grow on me. David Small's illustrations are always a hit with us. And he always seems to include a terrier (probably a Airedale but close enough to our fox terrier for our liking) and at least one cat. I'm not sure why the aliens look like cockroaches though. This is a fun one to pull out all your funny voices... including the dorky cousin and the meep meep aliens.
Heather
31 months - This took a couple reads for me to get into and throughly enjoy. We always love David Small's illustrations and it doesn't hurt that he includes a terrier (Airedale?) and at least one cat in most of the stories he illustrates! Not sure why the aliens have to look like cockroaches other than they multiply like crazy. This is a fun book to use all your silly voices including the dorky cousin and "meep meep" aliens!
Becky Tilton
Substitution for TASK G
Plot summary: Company’s Coming is a children’s fictional picture book. Shirley and Moe invite their cousins over for dinner. Much to their surprise, a spaceship arrives that afternoon. Moe is scared of the aliens, however, Shirley is friendly towards them and even invites them to the family dinner. This book has an excellent message of friendship.
Relyn
Jun 26, 2011 Relyn rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: kids
Shelves: lawsonland
More summer school reading. This silly book was checked out constantly during summer school. It really appealed to second graders. Though I didn't love it, it did lend itself to discussions about friendship and openness and willingness to look past people's differences.
Mikailah Shackleford
I really enjoyed this book and i think children would enjoy it even more. The illustrations are really descriptive and help tell the story. It is a funny story about a husband and wife that have different reactions to aliens landing and asking to use their restroom.
Ashlee
My boys have loved space themed books lately and this one was a winner. They giggled and liked the story that was recommended for 1st graders to read before the school year begins.
Heidi
I liked this book. Thought it was simply fun. But I don't know how well I could read it in No Girls Allowed. I'll still consider it if I can't find another book.
Rebecca
My 7 year old son said chose this as his favorite out of three at bedtime tonight. Anything that has to do with alien visitors from outer space will tickle his fancy.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
Love it! Science fiction picture books are rare, although becoming less so. The pictures make this one. The sequel, Company's Going, isn't nearly as good.
nicole
Apr 06, 2009 nicole rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2009
found on our shelves looking for yorinks books for the CBF display. our cover is slightly different, so i didn't realize it was about ufos. adorable!
Arlene Allen
My sense of humor is a little skewed, but then so is Arthur Yorinks, which is why I love him.
Gina
Fun story about some unexpected "visitors".
Stephanie
Lots of fun! Great for older kids.
Sara Jones
I like the author's dry wit.
Marly
Marly added it
Jul 22, 2014
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014