Long Eyes and Other Stories

Long Eyes and Other Stories

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  65 ratings  ·  23 reviews
From the mind that brought you Plague Year and The Frozen Sky...

SIXTEEN STORIES ABOUT STRANGE WORLDS, BIOTECH, COMMANDOS, AND THE GIRL NEXT DOOR.

"Striking." --Locus Online

"Exciting." --SF Revu

"Chilling and dangerous." --HorrorAddicts.net

First published in top venues such as Asimov's Science Fiction Magazine and cult 'zines like The Vampire's Crypt, these stories have been...more
Published March 15th 2011 by JVE

William Winkle
As originally reviewed by William Van Winkle on the Sci-Guys podcast #103:

By now, you probably know that free ebooks on Amazon would be a dime a dozen...if they weren't already free. If you subscribe to sites like Pixel of Ink or my own favorite, Ereader News Today, you can be flooded with dozens of suggestions for ebooks that are free to download that day. My Kindle is stuffed with hundreds of these freebies. It's like being a kid at the all-you-can-eat pizza buffet. The food may suck, but who...more
Gale Stanley
Science fiction is plausible fantasy, in other words, weird stuff that could possibly happen. That’s what makes it so fascinating. Jeff Carlson’s new anthology, Long Eyes and Other Stories runs the gamut from futuristic technology to space travel. The sixteen short stories are radically different and each one will blow your mind with an intriguing concept and clever conclusion.

I love to escape into alternate realities but to me the best stories are character driven and Jeff’s tales of human hyb...more
David Watson
A vampire dog, a human spaceship hybrid and a half fish, half human. These are some of the things that you will read about in Jeff Carlson's short story collection called Long Eyes. This anthology according to the author is the book no one wanted him to publish except his fans. Long Eyes includes all of Jeff Carlson's short stories from when he first started writing to the present day.

I have to admit even though I enjoyed all of Jeff Carlson's stories that I've previously heard on podcasts or re...more
Alex Telander
Jeff Carlson, bestselling author of the Plague Year trilogy, returns with another cheaply priced and great collection of three original and captivating science fiction stories, showing the true breadth and ability of this great writer.

The first story, “Long Eyes,” is a great example of Carlson at his best, presenting a most unique character in Clara who is a humanoid suspended in cradle of gel and splice-wire in a symbiotic relationship with the spaceship that she controls, feeling everything it...more
4.5/5 stars

... in this review, I have touched the bare tip of a captivating ice burg. Carlson is an excellent writer with a fascinating head on his shoulders. Long Eyes is an exercise in thought. Carlson doesn’t just write these to entertain, he writes them to explore concepts and ideas and that’s half the draw of this compilation. While many (if not all) of these stories have been published in other compilations (and won awards, been on a short list for awards, been translated into numerous lan...more
Grampy
“Long Eyes and Other Stories” by Jeff Carlson is a spectacular collection of 16 superb short stories, plus a few non-fiction articles, penned by the very talented Jeff Carlson. Each story in this collection is a legitimate contender for the honor of being called “my favorite” in the book. Jeff is not content to just publish his stories; after each one he gives a brief exposition concerning how that story came about. But of all the great fiction, the non-fiction articles, and his accounts of how...more
Michelle
Long Eyes and Other Stories by Jeff Carlson was a book I read in moments. Each story is short, but very intriguing.
The first, Long Eyes, was my favorite. This one followed a single pilot as she descends to the surface of a barely habitable planet to observe and analyze it. However, she is surprised by what she finds there.

Planet of the Sealies is a look into a possible future on our very own planet, where people search garbage dumps for materials that can be recycled. However, you might just f...more
Hoozat
Nov 25, 2012 Hoozat added it
The following review is based on the ebook edition of “Long Eyes and Other Stories” from a librarything.com giveaway.

“Long Eyes and Other Stories” is the very embodiment of speculative fiction. It is an anthology of short stories– some sci-fi, some horror, and some with just the most subtle hints of the extraordinary, but every story (and even the two essays near the end) is absolutely brimming with the evocativeness that speculative fiction is so wont to contain.

The stories are creative, well...more
Sift Book Reviews
Long Eyes And Other Stories is a fairly wide-ranging collection of science fiction and horror short stories alongside a short essay. Unlike many short story collections it also includes author's notes on each of the stories, which I found interesting in themselves. However, like most short story collections I've read, while I liked many of the stories a few didn't really connect with me at all.

Ultimately there was nothing terribly original about most of the stories, but they had some interesting...more
Glenn Nevill
I'm a big fan of "The Frozen Sky" and when I heard that Jeff had a short story collection (17 stories and 2 essays) I immediately got a copy of it and started reading. Jeff does more than SF, and while I am not a fan of horror or thriller works, this collection was truly satisfying for me. I got to read some vivid and powerful stories. I subscribe to Asimov's SF magazine and was pleased to see that several stories in this collection were in issues of that publication. It's always great to have s...more
Rob
...Long Eyes and Other Stories collect three stories that will appeal to fans of hard science fiction. Post-human characters and glimpses of far future societies are combined with a lot of attention to character and motivation. There's a dark, eerie quality to Carlson's writing that helps convey how alien the environments the stories are set in really are. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this collection. In this collection, Carlson shows that a lot of the more interesting writing in science fiction...more
Mary
I really liked this compilation of short stories and I really liked Jeff Carlson’s afterword at the end of each story which usually gave a little insight into how the idea for the story came about etc. The stories were original and reminded me of the pulp magazines I used to read and love. Even though I liked all the stories, among my favorites were “Gunfight at the Sugerloaf Pet food and Taxidermy” and it’s related story “A Lovely Little Christmas Fire”, also “interrupt” and “Snack Food”.
Eero
I grabbed this collection as the price came down in the Kindle store. I have previously read the author's The Frozen Sky: The Novel and Interrupt, so I had some idea of what was in store, but these stories are rather more varied, experimenting with different genres and styles.

According to the author's notes the title story was inspired by "Surface Tension" by James Blish, which I haven't read, but it seemed also very much influenced by classic Larry Niven, down to the cyborg protagonist and clip...more
Hal Brodsky
Carlson is a Sci-Fi writer of clean, efficient prose. Each story in this collection is fast reading and intriguing. Most explore unique themes in Science Fiction. This E Book is professionally edited, which is a plus. If I were to have one criticism, it is lack of character development in the stories, but that is Carlson's style; he is a story teller reminiscent of the Pulp Days, and he has published an enjoyable book.
Dave
Excellent collection of short stories by Jeff Carlson. The stand out work being the title story 'Long Eyes' which is cleverly titled, well written and concludes in a manner which made me question my own 'Long Eyes'. At the end of each story is authors notes, which I found informative and gave a little insight into Jeff's mind. Well recommended.
David Leger
I had forgotten how fun an anthology of short stories can be. While not all of these fall into the sci-fi theme, I enjoyed each story. Super-temrites, mind-numbing solar radiation, the messiah returns - Jeff is all over the place, and you can see his craft improve from the early stories to the later.
Scott Whitney
Some truly inspiring stories which lean toward an apocalyptic theme and kept me interested and wishing the short stories continued on for a few more pages, but then they would be novellas and not short stories. I will definitely be checking out the full length work of this author.
Dale Bauer
If you like quality science fiction reads, this book will work for you. Jeff Carlson's stories are thought provoking and make for frightening fun. This series of short stories span his writing career and illustrate its twist and turns. Give it a go.
Adam Smith
An excellent collection of short stories ranging from far flung sci-fi to modern day horror. The author did well in making each entry relatable and engaging.

Definitely worth reading.
Paul Marshall
Was able to download this book for free on kindle, and am now a fan. His writing and thought process are superb. I look forward to digging into his best sellers.
Cameron
A solid collection with no strong standouts, but the author's afterword showing the genesis and ideas behind each story are worth the price of admission.
Evan B
Jeff is a horrible and torturous god to the people that live in his head. But it definitely makes for interesting reading.
Bryan Smith
Bryan Smith marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Kenneth White
Kenneth White marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Tom
Tom marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Dean
Dean marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Jeff Carlson is the international bestselling author of "Plague Year," "Interrupt" and "The Frozen Sky." To date, his work has been translated into sixteen languages worldwide. His new novel is "Frozen Sky 2: Betrayed."

Readers can find free fiction, contests, videos and more on his web site at http://www.jverse.com
More about Jeff Carlson...
Plague Year (Plague, #1) The Frozen Sky: The Novel Plague War (Plague, #2) Plague Zone (Plague, #3) Interrupt