Start by marking “Don't Call It a Comeback (Foreword by D. A. Carson): The Old Faith for a New Day” as Want to Read:

3.94  ·  Rating Details  ·  216 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews

Some of today’s most influential young evangelicals outline the relevance and theological foundations of Christian orthodoxy and evangelicalism.

Recent cultural interest in evangelicalism has led to considerable confusion about what the term actually means. Many young Christians are tempted to discard the label altogether. But evangelicalism is not merely a political move

Published January 6th 2011 by Crossway

Be the first to ask a question about Don't Call It a Comeback (Foreword by D. A. Carson)

Kara
When I saw the list of contributors to one of Crossway's most recent titles, Don't Call It a Comeback: The Old Faith for a New Day, I immediately knew I wanted to read it. With contributors like Tim Challies, Russell Moore, and Tullian Tchividjian, and a forward by D.A. Carson, there was bound to be some great stuff there. So, I was thrilled when I was offered the chance to review it!

A main aim of the book according to editor Kevin DeYoung is,

"to introduce young Christians, new Christians, and
John Gardner
Apr 02, 2013 John Gardner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This review first appeared at Honey and Locusts

I've read several multi-author books before, but this was something new: 22 authors in under 240 pages! It was a whirlwind of topics and voices, but was edited together with surprising cohesion and clarity.

There's an awful lot to like about Don't Call It a Comeback . I loved the concept of the project, which had the aim of introducing "young Christians, new Christians, and underdiscipled Christians to the most important articles of our faith and
Jeanie
This book is a must read for all Christians whether you are new to the faith or have been a Christian for many years. I like the continunity of the book that was written by a handful of leading authors and teachers. Starting from Evangelical history, Evangelical Theology, to Evangelical Practice. Each part important to a christian to know the history, the why and the how. You may say to yourself all I know is I love Jesus and I want to serve him. Those are all good intentions, however, we must b ...more
Matthew
Collin Hansen’s Young, Restless, and Reformed came out back in March of 2008, and captured within it the story of many young evangelicals my age. He told stories of the resurgence of faith and zeal among young believers discovering the doctrines of grace, and how they were looking to older generations (John Piper, John MacArthur, etc.) for guidance in their beliefs and practices.

Another movement among young Christians around that time was the Emergent Church, a more liberal, socially-conscienti
Josh Davis
I originally picked up "Don't Call it a Comeback" because in the past I have appreciated some articles by its editor, Kevin DeYoung. The book was not what I expected.....which is not to say it was bad, just not what I was hoping for (which may partly explain my low ranking of it). In a nutshell, the book is a summary of basic Christian doctrine, divided into separate chapters written by a myriad of authors. In so far as meeting its purpose as a "primer" for the faith, I suppose the book does oka ...more
Gavin Breeden
This book has a noble goal: introduce core orthodox Christian beliefs to new and/or young Christians and it hits that goal very well. I used several chapters while teaching a Theology 101 class to Christian teenagers this winter/spring and found them to be very helpful. I thought the best chapters were: Scripture, Justification, Kingdom, Social Justice, and Worship. I'd recommend this book to new and/or young Christians because it does a great job of describing the history, theology, and practic ...more
Tim Sheppard
Sep 19, 2012 Tim Sheppard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theology-bible
I liked reading this book in bits and chunks over the past few months. It works well as a resource to take off the shelves every now and then. Kevin DeYoung has a great heart for people and the gospel, and it shows here. His first essay on the secret to reaching the next generation was needed and timely for me. He writes about making sure to grab them with passion, win them with love, hold them with holiness, challenge them with truth, and amaze them with God. It is a good corrective for where m ...more
Justin Lonas
May 15, 2012 Justin Lonas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Even as we share a faith built around the ancient revelation of God through His Word and we encourage people to delve into the time--tested classics of literature and theology, Christians recognize that truth must be given fresh expression to be fully understood and valued. This is why we exegete and preach the Word in millions of local churches the world over each week—-eternal truth is given a present voice through faithful exposition by preachers.

In the same way, the Church has been blessed
Dan Curnutt
Mar 03, 2011 Dan Curnutt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
D.A. Carson and John Piper were talking and agreed that it's a great time to be sixty. Why do they think that? Because the generation below them actually wants to be mentored, wants to hear and read the expositions and theology of quite a number of sixty-year-olds.

Why is this a good way to start this book? Because it sheds light on the fact that the church is not headed down the path of destruction but the fact is there are many young Theologians /Pastors out there who want to learn from those
Dustin
This one was enjoyable to read, though - as expected - some essays were more enjoyable than others.

I want to recommend this book to someone new in the faith, though I don't know if they'd appreciate it or get as much out of it as someone who knows all the lingo. That said, this book nails it's target audience: those who've grown up or been attending church for a long while but (sadly) don't know or can't articulate what they believe. The book succeeds at achieving this mission statement.

My favou
Ben
Jul 07, 2013 Ben rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
In many ways I really enjoyed this book, however I did find that it failed in certain respects, to achieve what it set out to do.

This book is presented as being an introduction of sorts to evangelical doctrine. Part of the promotional blurb reads as follows: "This book introduces young, new, and under-discipled Christians to the most essential and basic issues of faith in general and of evangelicalism in particular." I felt however that this book was far too specific in many areas to be labeled
Richard Minor
Jan 13, 2014 Richard Minor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In a day when the term "Evangelical" can mean essentially whatever you want it to mean, it is nice to see people coming together to discuss those things that should be considered essential core beliefs that would define what it means to be "Evangelical". I thought that the chapters in the book were well written and thought out. The different topics are covered very well, yet are brief and to the point. I thought, overall, this book did exactly what the authors set out to do.
Ian Rees
May 14, 2015 Ian Rees rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theology, church-life
This book does exactly what it sets out to do and acts as an excellent discipleship summary of key Christian teachings from a Reformed perspective. Each of the articles is fresh and lively. What is helpful is that each chapter is limited to about 10 pages, which obviously cuts short discussion on the more complex subjects, But it also compels the writers to be concise and therefore prevents readers from being overwhelmed. The first section looks at evangelical history (probably too briefly to be ...more
Peter
Jun 19, 2013 Peter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theology
This is a good review and defense of evangelical belief and practice by the younger generation (with the authors all in their 20s and 30s). It focuses specifically on the support of reformed theology, with topics such as the sovereignty of God.

The writing style varies widely with so many authors, just as the topics varied widely. This made some chapters easier to read than others. Some chapters I was chuckling as I read along, and others were more serious in tone. In a rare few to be honest I s
Richard
Jul 23, 2011 Richard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theology
This was an enjoyable read, but like every book with multiple contributors, it had its strong chapters and its weak ones. Overall, I felt that the writers did a good job of addressing each theological topic within the short chapters they were allowed. This is an excellent introduction, or review, of the most vital theological positions of the Church. A definite recommendation to read. One caveat to that is that if you are well-read in theology already, there won't be anything innovative here, bu ...more
Jennifer Morrissette
I thought this book was great, good enough to keep.
Ryan Jankowski
Although there are a few nuggets of value, this book is all over the place.
Bill
Mar 28, 2016 Bill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theology, ministry
A useful book, though not well served by it's title. A good introductory survey of core doctrines and controversial with a Gospel Coalition flavour. This book does a better job of introducing TGC than the more academic tone of The Gospel as Centre. The chapters are short and accessible. Darren Patrick's chapter on social justice was particularly helpful for me in thinking through this issue from a local church point of view.
David Shane
A nice intro theology book. Hard to summarize. Probably my favorite paragraph was one that compared God's writing of the Bible via humans to someone ("Andy") who plays the same melody on several different musical instruments. All of the music is Andy-breathed, but it all goes through the "personality" of the instrument he chooses. So is all the Bible God-breathed, yet still influenced by the actual men who wrote it.
Philip
This book really does exactly what it promises: applying old evangelistic values to new controversies and issues. Each chapter is written by a different person ranging from Tim Challies to Denny Burk to Thabiti Anyabwile. It really does a great job of practically arguing biblically through issues like Gender Confusion, Homosexuality, and Missions. The first chapter written by Deyoung is worth the book itself.
Vanessa Grajales
I adapted it when mentoring teenagers
Marshall Walter
A very good book overall. A few chapters are among the best I've ever read on their subject matter. Additionally, the authors do a nice job expounding the historical tenants of the faith in light of recent attacks and movements against them. Glad to have read it and will keep several chapters handy to share with friends.
Craig Hurst
Nov 25, 2011 Craig Hurst rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a short introduction to major doctrines of the Christian faith and doctrines that any professing evangelical should believe. There are also a number of ethical and practical issues discussed.

There is nothing necessarily new in this book but the examples are fresh and the writing is inspiring.
David Varney
Concise, accessible and encouraging. Really no more than an introduction on the topics that each chapter seeks to outline and left me wanting more. The chapters by Deyoung (1), Strachan (8) and Tchividjian (17) were the best for me.
Glyn Williams
Mar 05, 2015 Glyn Williams rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent. Well worth a read. The collection of authors Kevin has selected for this book are a good choice. An excellent introduction to issues in systematic theology for anyone who is searching for "technical" questions.
Jeff Stiles
Apr 30, 2014 Jeff Stiles rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Offers good coverage of some major points and other points that maybe some haven't thought about. I read this with a group of guys from church and there were some good discussions and my thoughts were definitely provoked.
Jonathan Lilley
This is so incredibly encouraging to read. The torch has been passed on to our generation and men like Kevin are stepping up to make sure we pass on the priceless truths with which we've been entrusted.
Rusten
May 02, 2013 Rusten rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very decent intro to evangelical theology. As each essay is written by a different author there are definitely different flavors of writers represented. I especially enjoyed Russell Moore's chapter.
Eric Molicki
Nov 15, 2011 Eric Molicki rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theology
I would really like this book to get in the hands of those who are new or young believers as it covers a range of key doctrinal topics in a very solid and accessible format.

Sean
Sep 23, 2013 Sean rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fine collection of essays that says a lot of important things about what it means to know God and make Him known.
  • Reverberation: How God's Word Brings Light, Freedom, and Action to His People
  • Reclaiming Adoption: Missional Living Through the Rediscovery of Abba Father
  • Biblical Theology in the Life of the Church: A Guide for Ministry
  • Slave: The Hidden Truth about Your Identity in Christ
  • The Great Evangelical Disaster
  • No Place for Truth: or Whatever Happened to Evangelical Theology?
  • Why Johnny Can't Preach: The Media Have Shaped the Messengers
  • Eyes Wide Open: Enjoying God in Everything
Kevin DeYoung is the Senior Pastor at University Reformed Church (RCA) in East Lansing, Michigan, right across the street from Michigan State University.
More about Kevin DeYoung...

“But when we believe the gospel, and the Holy Spirit resides in us, we are free to experience the explosive current of holiness that flows from the Godhead into the soul of a believer.” 0 likes
“Fueling all of our conflict against Satan is prayer: we are to pray “at all times in the Spirit” for the promotion and success of the gospel (Eph. 6:18). We need to pray, as 1 Thessalonians 5:17 also teaches, “without ceasing.” 0 likes