Start by marking “Brokeback Mountain” as Want to Read:
Brokeback Mountain

Brokeback Mountain (Wyoming Stories)

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  16,074 ratings  ·  1,086 reviews
Annie Proulx has written some of the most original and brilliant short stories in contemporary literature, and for many readers and reviewers, "Brokeback Mountain" is her masterpiece.
Ennis del Mar and Jack Twist, two ranch hands, come together when they're working as sheepherder and camp tender one summer on a range above the tree line. At first, sharing an isolated tent
Audio, 0 pages
Published December 2nd 2005 by Simon & Schuster Audio (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Brokeback Mountain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Brokeback Mountain

Nancy
I picked this up at the library last night because it was a tiny book, perfect for today's lunch time read.

I'm ashamed to say that I attempted to watch the film, but fell asleep about 45 minutes in. Now that I've read this story, I'm going to revisit the film.

This is the first time I've read Annie Proulx. It is amazing how much story she covers in so few pages. Her spare prose, concise style and quiet intensity really worked for me.

An absolutely beautiful, heartbreaking love story! Makes me wan
TK421
Normally, I would never read something like this. No, I am not homophobic (my older brother is gay); but I do get uncomfortable when reading about two men kissing. So, needless to say, I wasn't expecting much from this very short novella.

Let me be the first to say how utterly wrong I was. This novella is not merely about two men who fall in love; it is about love itself. The love story these men share is intense, stormy, beautiful, and heart-wrenching, and I found myself thankful that I have on
Rosalinda *KRASNORADA*

Review to come.

This is the first time I like the movie more than the book...

Cheryl
This is the story of two people falling in love with all the passion the feeling for another brings. Their union is interrupted and finally torn apart by society's interference, traditional belief system and vengeance.

The short story was too important to be contained on the pages of a book, so film was the next medium to tell the tale of two men who worked as cowboys in present day America's West, found each other and tried to make their relationship acceptable.

But understanding did not come fo
Cecily
I read this as part of a collection, Close Range: Brokeback Mountain and Other stories, reviewed here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show..., along with additional quotations, and comments on the language.

I knew this exquisite story well from the film, and the two are very similar.

It is a story of unexpected and irresistible passion, longing and loss - understated and never graphic.

Jack and Ennis meet, lust and love one summer, and meet up over the years, despite starting more conventional
JaHy♕ Bitchy  Goddess ♥'s  everything CrAzY  ☿
This novel is surprisingly short . . . which makes it difficult to rate the book unbiasedly :-/ I found myself replaying the (exceptional) movie in my mind the entire time.

. . .

. . .

. . . . Now please excuse my while I imagine this scene over and over again ..

#neednewovaries

Becky
I never really had any intention of reading this book. I've never seen the movie either. (Though I might now. I'm curious how they handled it.) Stories about ranchers & cowboys don't exactly draw me in. To be honest, Annie Proulx's stories don't have much appeal to me in general. I can't really put my finger on it, but they just don't scream "Read me!" when I see one.

Anyway, I had to go to the library to stop them from billing me for a book I'd already returned, and while I was there, I hap
Jenny
I enjoyed reading the short story two weeks ago and finally had the opportunity to see the movie. I was concerned about the film staying true to the short story in terms of characterization and atmosphere. The reading was enjoyable; I didn’t want to sour the memory of it by an unfulfilling movie. I was pleasantly surprised. Director Ang Lee and screen writers Larry McMurtry and Diana Ossana did a brilliant job of interpreting and synchronizing the original text into a script. I honestly feel tha ...more
Duane
This is a short story, sixty four pages, but Annie Proulx crafted a heck of a story in sixty four pages. The characters, even the minor ones, are described so vividly that ever detail is burned into your mind. The same with the setting, the back ranges of rugged Wyoming and the small cowboy towns, place you right in the middle of Ennis and Jack's existence. The story, as most people know from the movie, is about the love these two young men find with one another. Even though they are both marri ...more
Serena Yates
This book was chosen for me in the 'pick it for me challenge' in the m/m romance group here on goodreads. It's a classic (or should be), I saw the movie years ago, and I was amazed how short the book is.

This is one of the most well written stories I have ever read. In places, it is more like a sketch than a painting. And yet it describes the main characters and their awful dilemma and, ultimately, suffering in such clear pictures that it broke my heart all over again.

This is one of the few "trag
Rachel Eliason
Mummy
This is the first audio book I've 'read'. It was much more akin to listening to a radio play than sitting reading a book. There was no effort involved and by the nuancing of the narrator the book was interpreted for me. It was fast-paced, no time to sit and ponder a paragraph, no natural break between chapters just a pause. I can't say I enjoyed it, it felt fake, it felt like cheating, it felt like the dumbed-down version - all the work done for me and no need to particularly concentrate either, ...more
Zaara
Sometimes words come together in ways that twist knives you didn't know you still had in your gut.
Proulx achieves this with a stark economy (tautology almost, but I wanted both words) that leaves you both breathless and on the verge of hyperventilation.
It's been long since I had such a visceral reaction to the written word.
I wanted it to last longer. And at the same time, I can't see how it could have.
Exquisite!
Lau
«Ojalá supiera cómo renunciar a tí.»

Me sorprendió mucho la forma tan linda de escribir de Annie Proulx. Es poético y muy específico al mismo tiempo. Todo en esta historia corta ocurre rápido, como el paso de los años. Eso sin embargo no nos va a impedir sufrir. Están avisados.

Esta es la historia de Jack Twist y Ennis del Mar, dos cowboys pastores de ovejas (¿o sheepboys?) que se conocen por accidente gracias a un trabajo en Brokeback Mountain. Entre ellos surge una atracción que los toma por
MsMelbourne
I don't even know where to start on this one. I read it almost 24 hours ago and it has played on a loop in my brain since then.
Another reviewer used the word 'bereft' when describing how this book made them feel. I think that's a pretty accurate emotional description.

Proulx's writing is sublime. I'm certain I don't have enough words in my vocabulary to describe how intensely, eerily beautiful her prose is. From the first paragraph I couldn't look away. I kept re-reading sections because her wr
Adrienne
this book was an impulse buy for me::i haven't seen the film::and must of missed all the hype surrounding the story when the film was made::aslo i haven't (on purpose) read any other reviews for this::so i went into blind so to speak::the first thing that surprised me was it is a short story::the second::the fact that it is set in the twentyith century::altho after reading it i can fully understand why::

what struck me about this story is that it isn't romantic::it isn't sexual::its about emotion
Skip
Jun 20, 2007 Skip rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Rural America
This story is probably the perfect length for laying out in the yard on a Sunday afternoon. I'm thinking of a hammock...

But anyway, I guess we're supposed to talk about the "writing."
A real economy of language. Very sparse. It's like Proulx kept carving away down to just what was essential. And yet, this beautiful landscape and beautiful (and sad) love story comes through so sharply.

You almost can't not mention the film.
And I have to say, I was pretty impressed. Lots of detalil in the film. I
Thomas
"Brokeback Mountain" is about Ennis del Mar and Jack Twist, two cowboys that come together one summer while they're completing their seperate jobs as a sheepherder and a camp mantainer. They have to share a small tent together, so of course they start to fall in love. At first it's just a lusty attraction, but then their feelings for each other deepen by the time the summer is over. However, by fall they have gone back to their seperate lives under the pretense that they never met each other. Ba ...more
Jake
This was such a heavy story. Jesus, the weight of the world slowly and carefully swallowing up two semi-urban cowboys in the 1960s. Time rolls over them, society waits in the shadows for them, and all you can do is try to hope everything will be ok when you know that it probably won't. There's no humor, no optimism. It's just brutal reality creeping into the souls of two good dudes trying make lives together and separately. The only problem I have was that how it started off was too quick and wi ...more
L.L.
fragment
Opowiadanie jest takie surowe, można by powiedzieć, że źle napisane, ale moim zdaniem ten styl (zwłaszcza w tym przypadku) ma swój urok i mi pasuje. To dobre opowiadanie. Takie inne.

"W tej jednak chwili przepełnia go radość, ponieważ Jack Twist pojawił mu się we śnie."

"Ennis obudził się o purpurowym świcie, ze spodniami wokół kolan, z solidnym kacem i z przytulonym do siebie Jackiem; chociaż nie rozmawiali na ten temat, obaj dobrze wiedzieli, jaka będzie pozostała część lata, i niech szl
Vivian
Awww….Hell.

The quiet crush of depression creeps up on you with this one. At first, I was wondering about all the fuss as the the first third of the story laid out. By the midsection, the road ahead was pretty obvious, but didn't take any of the wallop out of the end. Bloody, Motherfuckin', God-Damned Sonnabitch!

Two men with no clue how to get what they really want and wasting time until there ain't no more.
Carlotta*
L'ho letto in inglese, e lo stile mi ha davvero stupito.
La Proulx è così parca di parole, è impressionante. Quello che noi umani descriviamo in maniera roboante e sbrodolosa, lei lo narra in un rigo. Ma rivela una grande bravura, perché non c'è né una parola di troppo né una che manca, e ciascuna assume grande risonanza.
Questo le permette di raccontare una storia d'amore che dura vent'anni in 64 pagine e tirarti dentro, appassionarti.
E quando verso la fine succede quel che succede, è un pugno ne
Roberta
Despite all the fuss I didn't watch the movie, and I'm glad I read the book when all the movie-related opinions have been faded away. Because it's a good story, and sex it's the least important part of it. There's friendship, love and respect. It's somehow a delicate story deprived of its happy ending.
Arwen56
È una storia delicata, di amore e di amicizia, narrata con toni sobri, parca di parole, ma comunque intensa. Ho visto anche il film di Ang Lee, che non ne tradisce sostanzialmente il contenuto e lo arricchisce con la splendida scenografia della natura. Va detto che gli attori sono un bel po’ più belli e raffinati di quanto lo siano le loro controparti “cartacee”, ma mai veramente “stonati”.

A me, tutto sommato, sono piaciuti entrambi, libro e film, anche se avrei preferito che il titolo italiano
Bonnie
‘There was some open space between what he knew and what he tried to believe, but nothing could be done about it, and if you can’t fix it you’ve got to stand it.’

Brokeback Mountain is the well known story, written by Annie Proulx, about two Wyoming ranch hands that fall in love one summer in 1963. The two inevitably separate and continue on with their lives, both marrying and starting their own families. Their affair continues though for the next twenty years and is a constant source of both a
Vanessa (V.C.)
Brokeback Mountain is such a short read that you can read it in one sitting. Despite its length though and how quickly you can get through it, there were many flaws about this short story that hindered me from really enjoying it.

I couldn't stand the writing style. Far too many run-on sentences that I found so distracting and annoying. Scenes seem to begin and end so quickly that it is as if it didn't happen at all. Though the characters are somewhat interesting, there is no depth...the dialogue
K.D. Absolutely
May 06, 2009 K.D. Absolutely rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who liked the movie
Shelves: gay-lit
It is like either you hate it or you love it. For me, being a story about two gay men is beside the point. It could be about two women or lovers from different religious or ethnic groups or any forbidden love but I guess the impact will be the same because the way Proloux told the story is just simply brilliant. In the movie, the sex scenes could be graphic but in the short story (or so I learned) they are almost not mentioned making that form centered more on the love angle amidst the beautiful ...more
Tina
What makes Brokeback Mountain one of my favorite short stories is the fact that it is a perfect combination of simplicity and emotional charge. There's nothing fancy or exaggerated in it, but it will most definitely rip your heart out. I would recommend Brokeback Mountain to anyone who loves beautiful and affecting love stories.
Vishous
Dec 12, 2012 Vishous marked it as currently-mm-bup-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m
well i loved the movie so i think i will read it because i just know book will be better :)
Ismail Elshareef
It's astounding how much story is packed into this 55-page epic of love found, squandered, salvaged and ultimately lost forever. From the vivid scenery of the West to the intimate relations between two lovers, this very quick read (took me an hour to read with interruptions) proves to be a force of nature and an exemplary lesson on succinct writing.

I think my imagination to fill in the details has been polluted by having seen the movie first. With that, though, I still very much enjoyed reading
Relevant books to Brokeback Mountain? 4 62 Jan 29, 2015 01:49AM
Books2Movies Club: 2015/01 - Brokeback Mountain 5 18 Jan 23, 2015 07:50PM
  • The Front Runner (Harlan's Story, #1)
  • Comfort and Joy
  • The Coming Storm
  • Maurice
  • As Meat Loves Salt
  • The City and the Pillar
  • More Tales of the City (Tales of the City, #2)
1262010
Also published as E. Annie Proulx
Edna Annie Proulx is an American journalist and author. Her second novel, The Shipping News (1993), won the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction and the National Book Award for fiction in 1994. Her short story "Brokeback Mountain" was adapted as an Academy Award, BAFTA and Golden Globe Award-winning major motion picture released in 2005. Brokeback Mountain received massive c
More about Annie Proulx...

Wyoming Stories (3 books)
  • Close Range
  • Bad Dirt
  • Fine Just the Way it Is
The Shipping News Close Range Accordion Crimes Postcards That Old Ace In The Hole

“I wish I knew how to quit you.” 287 likes
“There was some open space between what he knew and what he tried to believe, but nothing could be done about it, and if you can't fix it you've got to stand it.” 88 likes