Start by marking “The Informationist” as Want to Read:
The Informationist

The Informationist (Vanessa Michael Munroe #1)

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  6,279 ratings  ·  1,185 reviews
Governments pay her.
Criminals fear her.
Nobody sees her coming.

Vanessa “Michael” Munroe deals in information. After escaping a traumatic childhood in lawless central Africa, she is now sought after by corporations, heads of state, and private clients who can afford her unique brand of expertise.
When a Texas oil billionaire hires her to find his daughter who has vanished in
Published October 18th 2011 by Broadway Books (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Informationist, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Informationist

Emily
Honestly, I'm only halfway through this but I have absolutely no idea why this book is rated so highly everywhere. Not to be "that guy" here but did anyone else READ the Girl With the Dragon Tattoo?? First of all, the main character Michael (who is actually a woman named Vanessa) is such an almost painfully blatant poor-man's version of Lisbeth Salander that it's almost ridiculous. HOW IS NO ONE CALLING THIS OUT?? And ok, not that every intelligent, super gifted, socially inept main female chara ...more
Natalie
I'm reviewing the audiobook version and although I threatened during the experience to tear my stereo from my car, I am happy to report that it is still intact within its housing.

What would push a gentle person such as myself toward such automotively destructive fantasies? a)commuting in general b)an author who uses the same descriptive phrase for every character's posture while sitting over, and over, and over again! WTF? Where's the editor ? How many times can a person sit with their forearms
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads)
The Informationist has one of the most daring and distinctive heroines I've personally read about. Vanessa Michael Monroe is practically a force of nature. Her personality is hard to pin down, even if you know her very well, which few people do. And she makes a very bad enemy. While some characters might go to Africa to run away from their past or to define a new life for themselves, Monroe is the opposite. She was born in Africa and raised there. Although she is Caucasian American descent, Afri ...more
Robert
She’s a tool. A weapon. Like Jason Bourne or James Bond. Able to blend into her surroundings. She speaks 22 languages, and she’s damn near deadly with a knife. And she’s androgynous. She’s Vanessa Michael Munroe. Or Michael for short.

Revenge might as well be her middle name, though. She reminded me of Lisbeth Salander with the way rage completely consumed her. And yet she still managed to show some heart, or at least her slightly abbreviated version of it. Emotions seemed to fill her, consume he
Lisa Sansone
May 11, 2011 Lisa Sansone rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Women who have fantasized about being a butch, callous mercenary with super-human abilities. :)
I can't say that I liked it. I thought that it was boring, over-written, and unbelievable -- to the point of being silly. To be honest, I couldn't even enjoy it on the level of "fantasy" or escapism.

It reminded me of your standard, second-rate, mildly-ridiculous gun-for-hire novel - only this time written with a tormented female lead, instead of a tormented male lead.

I'm guessing that one is supposed to like the book largely because of the gender-switch. If you enjoy silly, poorly written fanta
Tracy
aPriL eVoLvEs (ex-Groot)
This is the worst book ever. The writing is boring, the plot is brain-dead dumb, and the character Vanessa Michael Munroe is the stupidest 'genius' I've run across since the biker Eric Von Zipper in the 'Beach Blanket Bingo' movies starring Frankie Avalon and Annette Funicello. Munroe, the main character, unfortunately, is the dumbest one of all. No one is SUPPOSED to be dumb in 'The Informationist.' This is supposedly a serious thriller. Really. Really? This novel is such a stinking piece of du ...more
Cathy
I think The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo has spawned a new genre of novel -- girls with abusive pasts who grow up into emotionally crippled, gender ambiguous women. The novel is set in Africa and that makes up for a lot; the detail is good and it seems well researched. At times this book teeters on the edge of romance novel. It was a fast read, entertaining enough for a plane ride, and who knew one could purposefully dislocate a thumb to escape handcuffs. Reading really expands my horizons.
Mike (the Paladin)
Well....if you love this/these books please forgive me. I just could not get involved or even interested in it. The character(s) left me cold. This includes the protagonist.

I just didn't get into the book at all and finally laid it aside. I decided "back when" that if I "quit" a book I'd go 1 star.

Now I know many people love these. In a way I get this. I can tell it's well written. That said, I'm just not the intended audience for the book. The odd thing is the subject seems very interesting. It
Joey Comeau
I enjoyed this book at first, and the problems I had might not bother other readers at all. I found the setting and characters compelling for the first half. But it slows down 2/3 of the way through, and it was at that point when the writing finally got to me. To be honest, I don't often judge thrillers based on the writing itself. I'm not looking for flowery prose or beautiful descriptions. I just want to know what's happening and who the characters are. But there were parts of the book where t ...more
Paul Pessolano
Not until now has there been a heroine that could rival Lisbeth Salander of "The Girl with the Dragon Tatto". That girl is Vanessa Michael Munroe and she is "The Informationist".

Michael, as she is called, comes from a missionary family that was based in Africa. Her family had little to do with her and she became strongly independent and became ver familiar with the language, customs, and culture of the many African tribes.

In her teens she became involved with Francisco Beyard. Beyard made his li
Wyma
The Informationist: the title grabs me like Noah Wylie's The Librarian, promising adventures of a someone like me. Nothing could be further from the truth of Michael (Vanessa, Essa) Munroe. She's the epitome of an informationist, researching a region or country, boots on the ground, sniffing out unwritten data, a super observer and synthesizer. A young girl who went missing while a tourist in Africa lures Munroe from usual assignments to a hunt for information on a trail, four years cold.

This is
Andrew Montooth
Kismet, from the Turkish qisma, or fate. I buy too many books to keep track of where they come from or how I heard about them or even what attracted me to them. This book was sitting there after I’d read my Christmas stack and before I made another book run. I picked it up and was surprised to learn that she was an apocalyptic cult survivor. Hey, me too! Kinda. My childhood cult was a bunch of wacky architects who worship Frank Lloyd Wright. Better deal? Maybe. Anyway, I figured, OK definitely g ...more
Ronald Roseborough
Every reader who craves action and adventure will love this book. It is nonstop from cover to cover. The heroine, Vanessa, who goes by as many names as she has personae, is a kick-ass force of nature. She can be as fierce and deadly as a black mamba snake or as elegant and smooth as a high paid call girl on the make. She is multilingual, highly intelligent and lethal. Her preferred job is collecting highly sensitive, often obscure, yet very valuable information, which she sells to high paying cl ...more
David
Okay, it was a real page-turner, and it kept me entertained in fine style from Santa Rosa to Denver. And, it depicted darkest Africa in an intense way that leads me to have no desire to set foot in the more dangerous countries. But other than that, not that great.

The complaint I have is the protagonist is too much super-hero. I'm getting a little tired of this already - Joe Pike (Robert Crais), Jack Reacher (Lee Child), John Rain (Barry Eisler), do they think everybody's got to be unrealistical
Joan
I haven't finished this yet, but it is one of those books that once you start reading, it's nearly impossible to put down. I am listening to to audio as well, and it is very well done.

Vanessa Michael Munroe was raised in Africa by indifferent, missionary parents, left to her own devices, and as a young, rebellious teen, fell into bad and brutal company due to her unusual gifts of observation, liguistics, and analysis. When she escaped from Africa, she put those same skills to profitable use. As
Jeff
This is the first time I’ve taken the time to write a review for a book. I’m generally a word-of-mouth “reviewer”. But I believe this book is worth sharing an opinion. I’m not a voracious reader (like I was in my early youth) but I do read a lot - just an ordinary guy who likes to read thrillers, espionage, adventure, and variations thereof. I also dabble in early American history and American military history.

I came across this book via my local indie bookstore weekly email. The dust cover des
Read It Forward
Jason Bourne + Lisbeth Salander = Vanessa Michael Monroe. Can't remember the last time I met such a kick-ass heroine! What makes Taylor Stevens' debut so remarkable is that it's a page-turning thriller filled with plot twists you never see coming and characters so compelling they'll haunt you long after you read the last page. So good, so so good. If you're a big fan of Stieg Larsson, look no further. Put THE INFORMATIONIST at the top of your list.
Erica
It can be hard to know where to turn after the final pages of the Stieg Larsson trilogy. I say leave chilly Scandinavia behind and embrace the oppressive African heat presented in The Informationist. Stevens’ protagonist, Vanessa Munroe, incorporates the physical acuity of Jason Bourne with the analytical mind and deceptively petite frame of Lisbeth Salander. Who could ask for more in a heart pounding thriller?

Luanne Ollivier
When Taylor Stevens' debut novel The Infomationist came out last year, I was aware of the buzz, but never got around to picking it up. Well, this New York Times bestseller is newly released in trade paperback, so I picked it up - and had a hard time putting it down. Wow - what a non stop thriller!

Vanessa Michael Munroe grew up in Africa, rebelling against the upbringing her missionary parents envisioned for her. Instead she made her own way, creating her own niche as an 'informationist'. Her 'un
This book is a puzzler: I really liked it at some points, and it was very uneven at others. The book tells the story of Vanessa Michael Munroe, a young woman with no fear she can't conquer. She's a loner with a serious crazy streak. She makes her living by traveling the world in search of information that will make companies more savvy and also her very rich. Her mission in this book is to find the daughter of a tycoon - a young woman supposedly killed in Africa. What makes it uneven is that Mic ...more
Carol
Jul 10, 2011 Carol rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Carol by: review sources
Shelves: fiction
I picked this one up for several reasons. First, I love the title and the picture it evokes. An Informationist, someone who deals in information. In this case this person is one Vanessa "Michael" Munroe,. That's the second reason I picked up the book. Reviews depicted Vanessa/Michael as one strong female,a character trait I like in my reading. Third reason; reviews called it a gripping, fast paced, high octane thriller. And lastly, I picked it up as it is debut fiction, always a treat for me.

So
Rachel
Very disappointing, I have no idea why this book is ranked so high. Reviewers compare the protagonist to Lisbeth Salander, but the similarities are quite superficial- a gender-ambiguous female with emotional trauma in her past who is super gifted and talented and tough. This character, Vanessa who goes by Micheal, is completely unbelievable, however, unlike Lisbeth. She is seemingly invincible, getting herself easily out of all situations, in a totally unbelievable fashion. The book is a standar ...more
Hamed Manoochehri
What a great thriller! One of the best heroin I’ve ever read.
Taylor Stevens has created a paranoid atmosphere mostly surrounding African country, Equatorial Guinea which hunts you as well as spells you to read it more and more.
Beautifully addictive.

کتاب اینفورمیشنیست، یکی از کتاب های پرفروش سال 2011 و یکی از تمجیدشده ترن!! کتاب های سال، اولین داستان تیلور استیوتزه. مادر دو دوختر که با توجه به زندگیش در کشور آفریقایی گینه، طی سالهایی که تبلیغات مذهبی می کرده، این داستان رو نوشته.
نکته جالب این نو
Carol Waller
I surprised myself by liking this book. I didn't expect to. Didn't really want to. But I found I had to finish it. It is gripping, and more than a little chilling. Not my normal kind of book at all. But it definitely made an impression.
Roxane
Absolutely absorbing thriller. At times, Michael's character is just ludicrous in her abilities but that's okay. This was still one of the most enjoyable books I've read this year. Dark, violent, kind of sexy. That's what's up.
Hallie
Readers will recognize Vanessa (aka Michael) Munroe, the eponymous protagonist in Taylor Wait's debut novel "The Informationist." She's one of those elusive, brilliant, preternatural creatures in the tradition of Carol O'Connell's "baby sociopath" Mallory, or Stieg Larsson's lethal Lisbeth Salander. These women are damaged goods, brilliant and manipulative, ruthless and utterly fascinating.

Munroe is paid huge sums of money to find information others miss. Hyperaware and constantly calculating,
Krita
I gave this book 4 stars because I am quite intrigued by Vanessa/Michael's character. She is seriously screwed up but somehow manages to live with herself...some of the time.
There have been comparisons made to Lisbeth Salander but having read all of Lisbeth's books and only the first book about Michael, I would venture the following early assessment:
I do believe that these two characters are very different. Their similarities are their childhoods were somewhat messed up. However, I find Lisbeth
Anthony
Move over Lisbeth Salander. Here is Vanessa "Michael" Munroe, a female protagonist, also known as The Informationist, who is as intelligent, sexy and ruthless as the Girl With the Dragon Tatoo.

As an Informationist, "Essa" Munroe is hired by individuals and organizations to acquire information that is needed. She demands a high fee as her reputation for getting the information her clients want is unheralded. Nobody knows how she gets it, and no one dares ask how she gets it.

In this thrilling, in
Bry
This book started out so great! The characters were intense, mysterious, and kicked ass. They traveled to places not many people in this world get to see and experience and the settings were amazing. Only someone who had traveled there and lived it could have written these places so well and so beautifully. The plot started out cryptic, intriguing, and totally sucked me in.

About halfway through the book though everything just seemed to slow to a crawl. Don't get me wrong - the bad guys were sti
Munroe or Lisbeth Salander? 10 87 May 10, 2014 09:23PM
  • Running from the Devil (Emma Caldridge, #1)
  • Once a Spy
  • The Bricklayer (Steve Vail, #1)
  • Stolen Lives (Jade de Jong, #2)
  • Adrenaline (Sam Capra, #1)
  • Talking to the Dead (Fiona Griffiths, #1)
  • The Informant (Butcher's Boy, #3)
  • Killer Instinct (Charlie Fox Thriller, #1)
  • Faces of the Gone (Carter Ross Mystery #1)
  • Wife of the Gods
  • Spiral
  • All Cry Chaos (Henri Poincaré Mystery, #1)
  • A Nail Through the Heart (Poke Rafferty Mystery, #1)
  • Damage Control
  • The Summer of Dead Toys
  • Hell or High Water
  • The Inquisitor
  • The Shadow Tracer
4119134
TAYLOR STEVENS is the award-winning, New York Times bestselling author of the critically acclaimed Vanessa Michael Munroe series. Published in over twenty languages and optioned for film by James Cameron's production company, Lightstorm Entertainment, the books are international boots-on-the-ground thrillers featuring a mercenary information hunter in a non-testosterone mix of Jason Bourne and Jac ...more
More about Taylor Stevens...
The Innocent  (Vanessa Michael Munroe, #2) The Doll (Vanessa Michael Munroe, #3) The Catch (Vanessa Michael Munroe #4) The Vessel (Vanessa Michael Munroe #3.5) Soluttautuja

“The aloneness. The invisible walls. Always the outsider looking in. Different. Unusual. I despise their world and the superficiality of it all and yet still want to be a part of it. I wonder sometimes how much simpler a life of naïveté and unawareness would be. I have on occasion found people I could trust with who I really am, and when that happens, I walk away....

It’s safer that way-- for them, for me. It’s far easier to bear personal pain than the responsibility of someone else’s. I feel safe around people as tough as I am, but they don’t come along that often.”
6 likes
“She felt invisible shackles snaking around her wrists and ankles, took a deep breath and said..............” 1 likes