Start by marking “Los Masones” as Want to Read:
Los Masones

Los Masones

3.15 of 5 stars 3.15  ·  rating details  ·  287 ratings  ·  32 reviews
Los masones suelen ser vistos como una hermandad misteriosa. En este libro, Jasper Ridley se propone separar el mito de la verdad. Describe el desarrollo de la francmasonería, desde las primitivas logias de los trabajadores de la Edad Media a los 'caballeros masones' del siglo XVIII. Relata la formación de la Gran Logic de Londres en 1717 y la difusión de la bula papal de ...more
Published July 1st 2010 by Ediciones B (first published January 7th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Los Masones, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Los Masones

This was a little too much "Joe Smith was a Freemason; Joe Jones was not a Freemason..."
Not very well written!
Tyler Anderson
Three words come immediately to mind: "glib," "snide," and "unreadable."

I wasn't expecting this book to move mountains or anything. But even a casual perusal before I dug in at page 1 to read gave me the impression that this was not going to be a well researched or factual book. Some of the topics covered I a good deal about, and I found myself repeatedly saying, "That's not exactly right." Which makes me think that those topics about which I know next to nothing (or less) are addressed with the
Chris Webber
This book outlines the history of the the freemasons, from its Middle Age inception in roughly 1550 AD to current. It covers its expansion through England, its involvement in the American revolution, its presence in France, and includes notable historical Mason figures.

It is fascinating to see how freemasons have been threaded throughout history.

This book does not cover any type of details on Mason ceremony/ritual or an explanation of the inception of these events that have made the Masons such
Miles
While this book covered some interesting history, it really wasn't my cup of tea. There were numerous references to the rituals of the masons, but no real disclosure of anything about them beyond the vaguest details. Frequently the text diverged from the topic of Freemasonry throughout history, following people who weren't actually masons.
Philip Persinger
More than you could ever want or need to know about the Freemasons. Objective with no conspiracy theories, but a heck of a lot of Freemasons.
Cassandra
I wanted to like this book, but it was essentially a jumble of random facts about people who may or may not have been Freemasons. It felt very amateurish and all over the place, and I was already at a disadvantage of not having enough knowledge of British/European history. It didn't talk enough about what Freemasons actually DO, and talked too much about specific people that were... or were not. In the end I just skimmed through it.
Andra Constantin
A walk through the history and the influence the Freemason might or might not have had in the most important events that shaped our era.
Do not expect to find an explanation about how the Freemasons behave, but after reading this you will understand much better what they are and what the real purposes of the society are.
I found it as a good researched, non personal, historical book.
Rebecca
I've been looking for a book on the Freemasons for awhile, but everything else that I could find, I immediately disqualified, due to too much bold text, or excessive use of italics for emphasis, or, perhaps most telling of all, TOO MANY CAPS AND EXCLAMATION MARKS!!!!!

Multiple exclamation marks are the sign of a dangerously unhinged mind, to paraphrase Terry Pratchett.

I was browsing in the library when this title caught my eye, both because of what it said, and because of the lack of drama to th
Gary Patella
2 and 1/2 stars, rounded up. Some chapters were written very well, while others exhibited very choppy writing. The book as a whole is not so much a history of the Freemasons. Rather it is a history of most major events in the world that have occurred over the past few hundred years, with an emphasis on Freemasons.

A major historical event will be described. Major players in the event will be described. And after an entire description of the history of the event and the major players of Mr. A, Mr.
Galen Kaback
Michael
The Freemasons really started with masons in the Middle Ages. It is a fraternity of white men, no Jews or women allowed. Black men can join a black lodge if they want to be a member. They have a name for God which is "Jah" part Jehovah, "Bul" part Baal and "On" for Osiris. "Jahbulon". You must believe in a God(s) to be a member. No political talk between members inside the lodge is an ancient custom. They take an oath of secrecy and vow to kill you if you tell the secrets of the order. Supposedl ...more
Bradley Pollard
As an American Freemason, it was a good history of Freemasonry on the continent and a good lesson in French history. I did get bogged down at times, however.
Mandy
Did you know that the political terms left and right wing come from how the deputies sat in the french national assembly after the revolution of 1848? Or that John Wayne was a Freemason? While there was a lot of really interesting information crammed into this book, I am wondering if he had a page limit... The transitions were either confusing or nonexistent sometimes and he bounced back and forth between years without any real pattern or seeming plan. BUT, it is full of interesting little facto ...more
Mike Prochot
Interesting, factual history of Freemasonry that brings to light many of the myths and misunderstandings of the society. Clearly written in an academic, proper British style but entertaining as well as informative.

Unlike some "Histories" of Freemasonry that seem to get buried in minutiae, I felt that this book was pretty well self contained in that I did not find myself having to constantly google names and dates of kings and battles, etc.

Excellent reference notes and bibliography.

Javier
Parece mas un libro de Historia de la secundaria lleno de fechas y de nombres que un libro de la historia de los masones, quizas solo en su origen se concentra en ellos, el resto se dedica a refutar todos aquellos ataques antimasones segun la epoca argumentando que las personas conservadoras, revolucionarias, decentes o mafiosas, seguían siendolo independientemente de ser masones o no. La verdad creo haber obtenido muy poca información sobre los masones, no muy acorde a sus 400 páginas.
Ed Smiley
A pretty clear history of the Freemasons, without any conspiratorial paranoia, or needless detail, and with clear exposition involved in laying out the historical background in compact digressions. Freemasons have been all over, and have adopted varying ideologies, primarily of their current culture, unless that culture has been repressive. The only political constant appears to be a certain tendency to toleration of different religions.
Stefan
I was looking for something like this for many years. I'm really glad that a reputable and unbiased historian has written a book on Freemasonry free from all the misconceptions and conspiracy theories. It is excellent both stylistically and in terms of content. I highly recommend it both to people interested in Freemasonry and people interested in conspiracy, as it debunks a lot of myths related to the Freemasons.
Dusti Hargis
Technically, I didn't finish this. But, I got all the info I wanted.
David
This was a fascinating book, at least in part because it puts a lens of clarity on a rather interesting topic. The writing is clear and the Ridley spends some energy documenting his statements. The upshot, however, isn't exactly earth-shattering. His contention is actually that the Freemasons are really not anywhere near as interesting as one might have thought from more breathy sources.
Erin Fisher
Interesting history of the group, the modern stuff at the end was not as interesting since it was mostly speculation. I became interested the group after reading the Dan Brown books and wanted to learn a little more. Not super exciting but it held my interest for the most of the book.
Donovan
Somewhat dry at times - but a complete (and seemingly unbiased) history of the freemasons. Very informative and enjoyable. If you have any curiousity on the masons, this is the book, as most books are completely biased one way or the other.
Marilyn
I read this book to understand what made my Grandfather choose the Masons as his "Church" over the methodist faith. I cannot say I fully understand, however, he was given not only a veteran's funeral, but the Free Masons also were there.
Jo
This book is crammed with lots of facts in no particular order.
The author jumps from place to place and person to person indiscriminately.
The only reason I finished this book is because I am moderately interested in the subject matter.
Jill Edmondson
At times very interesting, at times it gets bogged down in detail. Do we really care that "Fred" the cousin of the brother-in-law of the King of Somewhere was rumoured to be a Freemason but this claim is unsubstantiated?
Hans
This book helps dispel some of the mysticism and conspiracy theories around Freemasonry. It recounts the evolution of the society from a simple stone mason guild into the huge fraternal brotherhood that it is today.
Tom Russell
Despite the title this is not a conspiriacy book. If you want an even handed, factual account of the origins and growth of this oldest of fraternal bodies, then I recommend this book to you.
Megan
Very fascinating....secret societies, who the actual members were and the things they did. A must for people interested in the Knights Templar and the Freemasons.
Gabriel Joseph
I guess my expectations were too high. I wanted more. This is very informative but just does not hit the mystery i wanted to read about of this secret fraternity.
Alex Hutchinson
An incredible history of the Freemasons from Solomon's temple to LBJ. It gives their secrets and tells their tales with a balanced world view.
Damián
Redaccion historica sobre la masoneria y sus cambios durante la historia del mundo.
  • The Egypt Code
  • The Book of Hiram
  • The King's Two Bodies: A Study in Mediaeval Political Theology
  • Heaven's Mirror: Quest for the Lost Civilization
  • Serpent in the Sky: The High Wisdom of Ancient Egypt
  • Solomon's Builders: Freemasons, Founding Fathers and the Secrets of Washington D.C.
  • Rumsfeld's Rules: Leadership Lessons in Business, Politics, War, and Life
  • The Early History of God: Yahweh and the Other Deities in Ancient Israel (The Biblical Resource Series)
  • The Christ Conspiracy: The Greatest Story Ever Sold
  • Crusade Against the Grail: The Struggle between the Cathars, the Templars, and the Church of Rome
  • The Intimate Lives of the Founding Fathers
  • Selections from the Carmina Burana: A New Verse Translation
  • Rule by Secrecy: The Hidden History that Connects the Trilateral Commission, the Freemasons & the Great Pyramids
  • A Failed Empire: The Soviet Union in the Cold War from Stalin to Gorbachev (The New Cold War History)
A Brief History Of The Tudor Age Bloody Mary's Martyrs Henry VIII: The Politics of Tyranny The Tudor Age Mussolini: A Biography