Start by marking “Cherry Pie (Mercury Rising, #1)” as Want to Read:
Cherry Pie (Mercury Rising, #1)

Cherry Pie (Mercury Rising #1)

Genre: LGBT Contemporary

John Ford packed up his life a year ago and moved from LA to small Mercury, North Carolina after the death of his long-term partner. He's been living in a kind of suspended animation, fixing up the old house he bought there, reclusive and alone. Until the day Connor Meecham appears.

Conn Meecham has returned home, only to find it isn't his anymore. S
ebook, 1st Edition, 143 pages
Published April 26th 2011 by Loose ID, LLC

To ask other readers questions about Cherry Pie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cherry Pie

Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
A nice, slow-burn Southern romance about an ex-con and a new-to-town rich boy. For some reason, I went into this story expecting something light. I was pretty far off base. This story is moody, with Conn and John both stumbling to find their way and both carrying heavy baggage.

Connor is back in town after a stint in prison, mostly due to consequences from addiction. He has a lot of personal demons, with his mother's recent passing and his troubled past relationships. John moved to Mercury, Nort
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
This is my first Samantha Kane read, and I found the writing strangely detached. The story has a melancholy, distant quality. I felt like I was wading through quick sand.

Both MCs carry massive baggage, and they absolutely refuse to own up to their needs and desires. I wouldn't call this miscommunication as much as an utter lack of communication. It's hard to miscommunicate if you're not talking.

I liked the sense of community in the small town, minus the vile sheriff, of course. Conn's friend T
Ami
~*~*~*~*~ REVIEW OF NEW EDITION ~*~*~*~*~

Okay, first thing, this novella has been previously published with a different publisher about three years ago. I never read the first edition, so I don’t know how expanded or re-edited this version is. I can’t do any comparison. I definitely cannot give clues to those who have read the first edition whether getting this second edition is worth it.

I can, however, write an opinion of this one :)

After reading the genre for almost 6 years, I have grown sligh
Jewel
Reread since book 2 is coming out in a few days. Not because that's really necessary, but just to refresh my memory on the characters and the town. Quick easy read. And just as lovely the second time.

---------Original Review 17 Sep 2014------------
I started out reading Samantha Kane's historical's and, for the most part, loved them. Historical's aren't much on my list these days, so I was thrilled to see a re-release of Cherry Pie. I had not happened upon Samantha Kane when it was originally pub
Jenre
May 13, 2011 Jenre rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m, contemporary, romance
I've not read a book by this author before, but have heard good things about her writing. When I saw this new release at Loose Id I took the opportunity to give her a try. I'm glad I did because this book was just delightful.

The story follows John, a guy in his thirties who, after losing his lover, decides to up-sticks from California and move to a grand old house in Mercury, North Carolina. The plan is to spend some time renovating the house and enjoying his very early retirement whilst putting
Kassa
May 20, 2011 Kassa rated it it was ok

I like Samantha Kane’s writing so when this m/m book came out I couldn’t wait to read it. One of the defining aspects of Kane’s books is how hot and sexy they are. Unfortunately Cherry Pie feels like a complete departure from any previous writing and comes across a little cold and unfeeling. There’s a noticeable lack of chemistry between the two men while money seems to solve most problems. I’m not entirely sure why these two men got together and just couldn’t really believe they were
TayaJay
Sep 23, 2014 TayaJay rated it it was amazing
I have always like this book but this time around I love this book. I don't know what was different this time around, I mean the characters or the story hasn't change. I guess I was just in a great mood to read it. The age gap work for me because they didn't harp on it. The secondary characters were interesting and alive. The story was sweet and bit tough for them. This book is the perfect beach read not really a tearjerker for me. I love that they didn't go straight "I love you's". Overall they ...more
Christi Snow
Sep 19, 2014 Christi Snow rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My Review:
LOVED this book! This book is about two lost men starting over in life in this dying little North Carolina town of Mercury.

For Conner this place represented home where everything was right in his life. Then he left, went to college, and his world flew apart...resulting in rehab and prison. Not exactly the all-American football hero who left this small town behind. After his release, he didn't know where to turn so he came back to the town and the house where he grew up. The house that
Stacey Jo
John moves from California to North Carolina after an apparent end to his relationship with Steve and a very broken heart. At first you wonder what happened to Steve but their past slowly unfolds. John bought an old "fixer-up" house and one morning Conner or Conn as we later come to know him as, shows up across the street watching the house. John finally talks to him and learns the house was Conn's mom's house and where he grew up. There are reasons he wasn't around to inherit it when his mom ...more
Barb ~rede-2-read~
Sep 22, 2012 Barb ~rede-2-read~ rated it it was amazing
This story was amazingly good. I expected to like it because I first saw it reviewed by Tom on Bear on Books blog, but I didn't expect that it would be as terrific as it was.

MC's Conn and John, both with very different, yet troubled pasts. It's a long slow climb for John who has to overcome emotional baggage and damage. Conn, though ostensibly more damaged when you first hear his circumstances, was already healing emotionally when he arrived in town and continues to grow and effect a change in
Deeze
Jul 07, 2011 Deeze rated it liked it
I found this one a little hard to get into at first, but it picked up and I enjoyed John and Conn's story. (view spoiler) I even found the first couple of sex scenes in keeping with the story, but again I found them over used, espcially the last one. I really hate having one chapter end and the next begin with an ongoing sex scene. Sorry just a personal niggle ...more
Natalija
Jan 25, 2013 Natalija rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mm
"Cherry Pie" definitely goes on my keeper shelf. I won't go into the details of the story, but I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a comfort read. There is just something about the North Carolina setting and enthralling dialogue between two somehow reserved characters that pulls you in and won't let you go until you have finished the book.
Chris
Dec 04, 2011 Chris rated it liked it
Shelves: romance, gay, done, 2011, ebook
Pretty good m/m romance about a wealthy guy who's recently moved to a small town in North Carolina from San Diego. One morning, he discovers the son of his house's former (deceased) owner sitting outside. Alas, I never got fully invested in the main characters as a couple.
Zabree
Apr 29, 2011 Zabree rated it it was ok
Recommended to Zabree by: zabreeDani@gmail.com
I wasn't feeling the chemistry. It was a bit cold. I didn't really connect to the characters either. I'm not going to read this one again.
Adriana
Aug 04, 2012 Adriana rated it really liked it
Sweet, not to angsty, HEA.
A little Cinderfella.
Lauren at Live Read and Breathe Reviews

3 Sweet Stars!!

Source: eARC for Honest Review Courtesy Samhain Publishing via NetGalley

Sweet MM book about unexpected love and second chances.

John moves to Mercury, North Carolina to start over and lick his wounds. Once he's there he sees a stranger in front of his house who is also there to lick his own wounds. But for Connor he's also there to find himself after a lot of bad choices. So what better way then coming back home. The only problem is that home is not the home he left, now that John
Phaney
Apr 17, 2013 Phaney rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m, oh-yes
2012 Review:

Yep, perfect. Just about perfect. In pretty much every regard. A really, really good book by an author who knows what she’s doing. Not smut, but not shy either.

Such a wonderful story. Both protagonists have their issues to deal with; both have their own ways of handling that; and it all comes together in a wonderful romance that does not require everything spelled out. ^_^

Man, I love good books.

It’s funny how long this book had been sitting in me to-read queue, always being pushed ba
ButtonsMom2003
Dec 18, 2015 ButtonsMom2003 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Another great book by Samantha Kane. HEA and no cliffhanger.

I really love Samantha Kane's books and have read all of her Brother's in Arms series. I wasn't sure to expect from this book since it is an M/M story rather than an M/M/F story like the BIA books.

Cherry Pie tells a story where the characters develop their feelings slowly over a period of time. Connor was the town's high school football star but suffers a career ending injury in college. He becomes addicted to painkillers and his life s
Jessica Alcazar
At first I wasn't so sure I would enjoy this story. I'd never read a M/M book before and I just didn't think it would be my thing. Well, I was wrong. But I'm pretty darn sure it was Samantha Kane's writing that made it my thing. This was such a beautiful story about coming home, community acceptance, love, acceptance of ones self and letting go of your past to accept your future. It was very poignant and heart warming. Two lost souls fated to find each other and help each other with so much of ...more
~ Lei ~ Reading Is An Adventure ~

Connor has come home to Mercury to find John in his family home that he bought after Conn's mother's death. Conn left Mercury eight years ago and hasn't had the easiest life through the life choices he'd made. John's licking his wounds after his 'partner' of ten years has died and John found out many uncomfortable secrets after his death and has left California and bought the house in Mercury wanting to make a fresh start.

This was an ok read, not too angsty even though both guys are licking thei
Paisley
Oct 22, 2012 Paisley rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm-stories
I was looking for a "comfort read" and this was recommended. It is a pretty good comfort read - but I found there to be quite a bit of tension and angst in it. The thing about this story is that it is pretty short but it is not simple.
Basically it's about two really screwed up guys (nice guys) that find each other through an unusual and somewhat unrealistic set of circumstances - and reluctantly fall in love. These two have huge baggage, I mean seriously gigantic baggage, and yet they work so we
Mandi Schreiner
Apr 27, 2011 Mandi Schreiner rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m
I liked this one and believed in the HEA at the end. It took me awhile to get there though. I didn't feel the chemistry or attraction between these two at first. I thought Connor was a different kind of hero and I liked him a lot. He moves back to his small, southern hometown and faces not necessarily prejudice because he is gay, but because of his troubled (drug use) past few years.

I had a harder time with John..or just understanding his attraction to Connor. Nice supporting characters and I li
Angie
Jan 24, 2016 Angie rated it really liked it
I received a copy to read and review for Wicked Reads Review Team.

This was a sweet love story between John and Connor. They each have things in their pasts that they need to deal with and together they do that. I loved the small town aspect and how everyone would come over, that made it seems like a true small town book. The relationship was a slow burn but worth the wait. I can't wait to read the next book and hope we still see John and Connor in later books.
Tamika♥RBF MOOD♥

I wonder if I purchased the second edition would it get a higher reading from me. I really liked it, I did feel like the editing was so disconnected. I always think I would have liked the backstory on both Johnny and Conner. We just seem to fall into a situation with them. I don't believe for one second I'm going to invite a stranger in to live because it use to his old house. That's so ridiculous. They didn't build or anything.

Blackravens Reviews
May 25, 2011 Blackravens Reviews rated it it was amazing
A Recommended Read! Cherry Pie is a beautiful book with characters to love and a story that has just enough conflict to work through to make you hope for the HEA and rejoice with them when it arrives, even if it is packaged a little differently than you may have expected. To view this review in its entirety please visit http://www.blackravensreviews.com/?p=...
Snowtulip
Oct 26, 2011 Snowtulip rated it liked it
Recommended to Snowtulip by: Sarah
Shelves: m-m, own
3.5

This was an enjoyable read that grew on me throughout the book. I loved Conn's quiet strength and was so curious about what his life back in town would turn out to be. John seemed like a perfect fit for Conn, they just worked. This was just a simple sweet read, without much drama or plot twists.
Byron
Jun 18, 2011 Byron rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m-read
Interesting story that had me alternating between liking the characters and not.. Wasn't as bad as a couple of reviews I read but didn't get 5 stars as I felt like it got a wee bit hurried in one or two places. For the most part though it was really good.. to have me flicking between warring feelings with the characters is always a good sign.
b
Kendra T
Dec 16, 2014 Kendra T rated it really liked it
This was a nice story about overcoming the past and letting go. Both MC's had baggage but neither of them let it hold them back as they discovered who they could be-together. They complemented each other well.
Jenna Underwood
Jan 08, 2016 Jenna Underwood rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
I can't say enough about Samantha Kane. This book is brilliantly written with emotions all over the place. You'll laugh, cry, sigh, and swoon. I hope this series will have many more books to follow.
Mandi
May 10, 2011 Mandi rated it liked it
Shelves: romance-mm
Good story, which kept my interest...but I just didn't feel the chemistry between the two MC's. *shrugs* I give it an even 3 stars.
  • Lab Rat's Love
  • Artist's Touch (Gallant Gentlemen’s Guild #1)
  • The Walls Have Ears (College Fun and Gays, #3)
  • Blue Skye (Woodland Village, #1)
  • Hook, Line, & Sinker (Hard Hats, #2)
  • City Slicker at the Horny Goat Ranch
  • The Strength of a Man
  • Geoff's Teddy (Synchronous Seductions, #3)
  • Nothing's Missing Now
  • Needing You
  • Busted
  • Crossed Hearts (Hearts and Scars, #1)
  • Paper Planes (Queen City #1)
  • Slow Burn
  • Dare to Love Forever (New Vampire Justice #1)
  • My Name is Luka (More Than Friends, #7)
  • If I Must
  • Belligerent Beta (Pack Partners #2)
Samantha Kane lives in North Carolina with her husband and three children, two boys and one girl. With a master’s degree in American history, she spent seven years as a high school history teacher before becoming a full-time writer and mom.

Series:
THE BIRMINGHAM REBELS
BROTHERS IN ARMS
THE SAINT'S DEVILS
THE 93RD HIGHLANDERS
MERCURY RISING
More about Samantha Kane...

Mercury Rising (3 books)
  • Cherry Bomb (Mercury Rising, #2)
  • Cherry Pop (Mercury Rising, #3)