Cherry Pie (Mercury Rising, #1)

Cherry Pie (Mercury Rising #1)

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  389 ratings  ·  45 reviews
Genre: LGBT Contemporary

John Ford packed up his life a year ago and moved from LA to small Mercury, North Carolina after the death of his long-term partner. He's been living in a kind of suspended animation, fixing up the old house he bought there, reclusive and alone. Until the day Connor Meecham appears.

Conn Meecham has returned home, only to find it isn't his anymore. S...more
ebook, 1st Edition
Published April 26th 2011 by Loose ID, LLC (first published April 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Cherry Pie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cherry Pie

Jenre
I've not read a book by this author before, but have heard good things about her writing. When I saw this new release at Loose Id I took the opportunity to give her a try. I'm glad I did because this book was just delightful.

The story follows John, a guy in his thirties who, after losing his lover, decides to up-sticks from California and move to a grand old house in Mercury, North Carolina. The plan is to spend some time renovating the house and enjoying his very early retirement whilst putting...more
Kassa

I like Samantha Kane’s writing so when this m/m book came out I couldn’t wait to read it. One of the defining aspects of Kane’s books is how hot and sexy they are. Unfortunately Cherry Pie feels like a complete departure from any previous writing and comes across a little cold and unfeeling. There’s a noticeable lack of chemistry between the two men while money seems to solve most problems. I’m not entirely sure why these two men got together and just couldn’t really believe they were...more
Ami
~*~*~*~*~ REVIEW OF NEW EDITION ~*~*~*~*~

Okay, first thing, this novella has been previously published with a different publisher about three years ago. I never read the first edition, so I don’t know how expanded or re-edited this version is. I can’t do any comparison. I definitely cannot give clues to those who have read the first edition whether getting this second edition is worth it.

I can, however, write an opinion of this one :)

After reading the genre for almost 6 years, I have grown sligh...more
Stacey Jo
John moves from California to North Carolina after an apparent end to his relationship with Steve and a very broken heart. At first you wonder what happened to Steve but their past slowly unfolds. John bought an old "fixer-up" house and one morning Conner or Conn as we later come to know him as, shows up across the street watching the house. John finally talks to him and learns the house was Conn's mom's house and where he grew up. There are reasons he wasn't around to inherit it when his mom di...more
Natālija
"Cherry Pie" definitely goes on my keeper shelf. I won't go into the details of the story, but I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a comfort read. There is just something about the North Carolina setting and enthralling dialogue between two somehow reserved characters that pulls you in and won't let you go until you have finished the book.
Zabree
Apr 29, 2011 Zabree rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Zabree by: zabreeDani@gmail.com
I wasn't feeling the chemistry. It was a bit cold. I didn't really connect to the characters either. I'm not going to read this one again.
Phaney
2012 Review:

Yep, perfect. Just about perfect. In pretty much every regard. A really, really good book by an author who knows what she’s doing. Not smut, but not shy either.

Such a wonderful story. Both protagonists have their issues to deal with; both have their own ways of handling that; and it all comes together in a wonderful romance that does not require everything spelled out. ^_^

Man, I love good books.

It’s funny how long this book had been sitting in me to-read queue, always being pushed ba...more
Barb ~rede-2-read~
This story was amazingly good. I expected to like it because I first saw it reviewed by Tom on Bear on Books blog, but I didn't expect that it would be as terrific as it was.

MC's Conn and John, both with very different, yet troubled pasts. It's a long slow climb for John who has to overcome emotional baggage and damage. Conn, though ostensibly more damaged when you first hear his circumstances, was already healing emotionally when he arrived in town and continues to grow and effect a change in...more
Deeze
I found this one a little hard to get into at first, but it picked up and I enjoyed John and Conn's story. (view spoiler) I even found the first couple of sex scenes in keeping with the story, but again I found them over used, espcially the last one. I really hate having one chapter end and the next begin with an ongoing sex scene. Sorry just a personal niggle...more
Mandi Schreiner
I liked this one and believed in the HEA at the end. It took me awhile to get there though. I didn't feel the chemistry or attraction between these two at first. I thought Connor was a different kind of hero and I liked him a lot. He moves back to his small, southern hometown and faces not necessarily prejudice because he is gay, but because of his troubled (drug use) past few years.

I had a harder time with John..or just understanding his attraction to Connor. Nice supporting characters and I li...more
Vanessa theJeepDiva
I LOVE a romance that is centered around small town life. Mercury, North Carolina is that town. In fact readers come to find out that “Mercury makes pretty good glue” and it’s not from a factory that doesn’t exist there. Mercury has its own type of cure all for those that look. It’s a true slow down compared to what John Ford left behind (ran from) in L.A. John is still going through that adjustment when a stranger shows up at his house looking for something that John is pretty sure he won’t fin...more
Shelby P
Mar 01, 2014 Shelby P rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Shelby P by: Natālija
Shelves: m-m, new-to-me-author
This is my first read by Samantha Kane and I think she's known more for her M/F books. This book came highly recommended. I was expecting a better story than the one I got. This story could have been great but it wasn't.

Connor used to be the town hero as a football player but he lost his football scholarship, became a drug addict, and spent time in prison. Story starts when he returns back home. I have a ton of questions. Was Connor always gay? Was he out in high school? It seems that Connor ha...more
Blackraven's Reviews
A Recommended Read! Cherry Pie is a beautiful book with characters to love and a story that has just enough conflict to work through to make you hope for the HEA and rejoice with them when it arrives, even if it is packaged a little differently than you may have expected. To view this review in its entirety please visit http://www.blackravensreviews.com/?p=...
Byron
Interesting story that had me alternating between liking the characters and not.. Wasn't as bad as a couple of reviews I read but didn't get 5 stars as I felt like it got a wee bit hurried in one or two places. For the most part though it was really good.. to have me flicking between warring feelings with the characters is always a good sign.
b
Kendra
This was a nice story about overcoming the past and letting go. Both MC's had baggage but neither of them let it hold them back as they discovered who they could be-together. They complemented each other well.
adrienne
well done. easy without being boring, simply but nicely written. solid characters, solid plot. hadn't read this author's work before, have 'islands' in files though & will definitely get to it.
Mandi
Good story, which kept my interest...but I just didn't feel the chemistry between the two MC's. *shrugs* I give it an even 3 stars.
Adriana
Sweet, not to angsty, HEA.
A little Cinderfella.
Judy & Marianne from Long and Short Reviews
originally posted at http://whippedcream2.blogspot.com/201...

Cherry pie is winter nights by the warm fire, summery Sunday afternoons on the front porch, late night snacks in the warmth of the family kitchen. It is home: the house you live in, the life you lead, and the people who love you. Cherry pie is comfort.

Wealthy, successful and single John Ford is a man trying to recoup from the sudden loss of his lover, a soldier killed in the war. Their ideal retirement was a home in the quiet and quai...more
Ken
I really liked this very sweet(and sexy)book a lot. The only problem I had with it was that it seemed to be missing a large portion of the back story and the characters are rather vague at times. I found myself really wishing that the author had "fleshed-out" the story and made it more substantial.

John, a gay millionaire moved to the small, eastern North Carolina town of Mercury to get over the death of his selfish lover. He soon meets Conner, a former male prostitute and ex-con that's trying to...more
Tayajay
I have always like this book but this time around I love this book. I don't know what was different this time around, I mean the characters or the story hasn't change. I guess I was just in a great mood to read it. The age gap work for me because they didn't harp on it. The secondary characters were interesting and alive. The story was sweet and bit tough for them. This book is the perfect beach read not really a tearjerker for me. I love that they didn't go straight "I love you's". Overall they...more
Paisley
I was looking for a "comfort read" and this was recommended. It is a pretty good comfort read - but I found there to be quite a bit of tension and angst in it. The thing about this story is that it is pretty short but it is not simple.
Basically it's about two really screwed up guys (nice guys) that find each other through an unusual and somewhat unrealistic set of circumstances - and reluctantly fall in love. These two have huge baggage, I mean seriously gigantic baggage, and yet they work so we...more
Arshad
Straight-forward and by the numbers gay romance of the widower-with-money-and-trust-issues/fallen-teen-seeking-redemption variety. The mutual attraction between the two leads develops suddenly and inexplicably. The rest of the book depicts a few relationship ups and downs, without significant conflicts or effective antagonists to overcome. There was no particular story complexity or subplots. There were no emotional highs or lows, and the characterization lacked punch.
Snowtulip
Oct 26, 2011 Snowtulip rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Snowtulip by: Sarah
Shelves: own, m-m
3.5

This was an enjoyable read that grew on me throughout the book. I loved Conn's quiet strength and was so curious about what his life back in town would turn out to be. John seemed like a perfect fit for Conn, they just worked. This was just a simple sweet read, without much drama or plot twists.
Kira

Being a small town girl, I have to say I appreciated that aspect of this book. I also loved the peek into the Southern way of life. :)

I found both of the MCs fun and well-written characters. The conflicts felt real and plausible.

A really good book. I would have loved to read more of these guys!
Chris
Pretty good m/m romance about a wealthy guy who's recently moved to a small town in North Carolina from San Diego. One morning, he discovers the son of his house's former (deceased) owner sitting outside. Alas, I never got fully invested in the main characters as a couple.
Debbie
I really liked this book. I did get frustrated with John and Conner a few times. But I loved the entire story. It was really sweet. I could definitely continue into a second book. I would love to read more of their story and see what would happen next.
  • Paper Planes (Queen City #1)
  • Shying Away (Shying Away #1)
  • All's Fair in Love and Advertising
  • Truthful Change
  • Sand & Water
  • Love Ahead: Expect Delays
  • Plus Ones
  • Looking for Adventure
  • House of Mirrors
  • The Charlie Factor (Beach Duo, #1)
  • Shady Ridge and the Neon Sky (Shady Ridge, #1)
  • Dreaming in Color
  • Across the East River Bridge
  • The Subtle Build of Perfection
  • Visible Friend
  • Where the Allegheny Meets the Monongahela
  • Hide Out (Private Dicks, #2)
  • Winter Knights
I write regency-set historical erotic romance for Ellora's Cave. I have a top-selling series called Brothers In Arms about a group of Napleonic War veterans.

My newest steamy Regency-set series, The Saint's Devils, is about a group of rakes who are old school friends. Their leader, Sir Hilary St. John, is a Sherlock Holmes like character who solves a mystery concerning the heroine in each book.
More about Samantha Kane...
The Courage to Love (Brothers in Arms, #1) At Love's Command (Brothers in Arms, #4) Love Under Siege (Brothers in Arms #2) Love's Strategy (Brothers in Arms #3) Retreat From Love (Brothers in Arms #5)