Start by marking “Creative Thinkering: Putting Your Imagination to Work” as Want to Read:
Creative Thinkering: Putting Your Imagination to Work

Creative Thinkering: Putting Your Imagination to Work

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  130 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Why isn’t everyone creative? Why doesn’t education foster more ingenuity? Why is expertise often the enemy of innovation? Best-selling creativity expert Michael Michalko shows that in every field of endeavor, from business and science to government, the arts, and even day-to-day life — natural creativity is limited by the prejudices of logic and the structures of accepted...more
Published September 6th 2011 by New World Library (first published August 10th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Creative Thinkering, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Creative Thinkering

Sue Smith
This has been the best book I've read in a while - for using your brain as a tool to yield the results you want. Easy to read, well written with lots of valid examples and things to try on your own plus a great resource list at the back on key words and other sources to check out. It has some really excellent visual examples too - some I've seen before but lots of others I haven't. It really is a great book to get you beyond the wall - whether it's creativity or just in your life in general.

It w...more
Tami
We’ve all heard the saying that you can’t solve a problem using the same type of thinking that got you into the problem. Doing so, is just a good way to get stuck. Perhaps that’s why many of the greatest innovations come from out of the box thinking.

But what exactly is out of the box thinking? Yes, we can easily stretch the boundaries of the box. However, often, the best thing to do is to look in a completely new direction.

This is what Create Thinkering is about. Taking a problem and finding a...more
Craig
Of the three Michael Michalko books I've read (Thinkertoys and Cracking Creativity), this was the least useful.

Michalko starts by expanding on the technique of association for generating ideas and spends much of the book on variations of this theme. This was the least useful portion of the book.

Michalko does later present two ideas that I found extremely useful:

1. Write a letter to your subconscious mind. After mulling over the problem for a period of time, write an extremely detailed letter to...more
Hugh Egener
I read this book to try to understand innovative thinking which would help me at work. I need to design creative eLearning projects. Basically innovative ideas come from combining a multitude of things, ideas or experiences. For example, a unique German shower head was used to solve the Hubble telescope problem of not being in-focus. Book contains multiple examples of creative thinking.
Darrell
Eh, this book was ok. I stopped reading halfway through because the author started repeating himself. I really liked the first few chapters, but after that, I felt like no new ideas were being presented.
His basic premise is that we can be creative when we take 2 different things and combine their different elements together. It will lead to ideas we didn't have before.
Andy Anderson
Awesome book on thinking out of the box. Chapter on changing your speech and how you answer people. Discussion on changing your attitude and some great ideas on how to think out of the box on any subject. Very good book for those of us who feel we need to think a little bit more creatively. Great ideas on how to think and how to get the ball rolling on new ideas.
Ozzy
I like to think I've always been pretty creative and reading Creative Thinkering just puts those practices into a sort of scientific container. Michalko easily outlines how creativity comes out of us. Not only that, he gives tips and steps on how to be more creative.

A must read for those who strive to be forward thinking.
Melissa Lindsey
The first part about cognitive blending drags on a bit too long, but the second part of this book on positive thinking could prove to be life changing for some people. I finished this book eager to be fully present in life, to live this life as a full and active participant, each and every moment.
Katherine
It took me a long time to get through this book, but in the end I found it repetitive but inspiring. I think (or at least hope) I will return to it in the future when I need a creative spark or ideas for a class activity for brainstorming.
Cristobal
The book has some interesting ideas and exercises to help foster creativity. However, I found that the writing was unstructured making it feel like the book ends all of a sudden without reaching any sort of conclusion.
Kathleen Rainwater
Have you ever asked yourself “ Why didn’t I think of that?” The step-by-step exercises in this book will show you how to enhance your creative thinking skills and strengthen your intuition.
Sharon
LOVED this book. so engrossing as well as informative. the idea of combinations was really an eye opener! lots of very good examples and exercises to keep you going.
Sam
Lots of good ideas. I'm going to pick up the paperback version, as I'd like to be able to flip through it from time to time.
Kirei
Lots of fun stuff in this book...you can tell just by the imaginative title that it is good! I love how it ends, very upbeat.
Amanda Eckler
Five stars because this book is full of great suggestions that I'm sure I will revisit again and again.
Dennis
Must Read: 3
Kept Attention: 5
Well-written: 3
Meaningful: 5
Accessible: 5
Mary Louise
Yippeee! Michael Michalko has written a new book. Always helpful.
Vaida Bogdan
Vaida Bogdan marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
Shibasish Das
Shibasish Das is currently reading it
Oct 15, 2014
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2014
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2014
Bryn Coape-arnold
Bryn Coape-arnold marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2014
Rob
Rob marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2014
Warren
Warren is currently reading it
Oct 16, 2014
Friedhelm Filler
Friedhelm Filler marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
Kimberly Buckmister
Kimberly Buckmister marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
  • Wabi Sabi Love: The Ancient Art of Finding Perfect Love in Imperfect Relationships
  • If... (Questions For The Game of Life)
  • Your Creative Brain: Seven Steps to Maximize Imagination, Productivity, and Innovation in Your Life
  • Rapt: Attention and the Focused Life
  • Oneness With All Life Treasury Edition: Inspirational Selections from A New Earth
  • inGenius: A Crash Course on Creativity
  • Disciplined Dreaming: A Proven System to Drive Breakthrough Creativity
  • Guesstimation: Solving the World's Problems on the Back of a Cocktail Napkin
  • Dear Mr. Buffett: What an Investor Learns 1,269 Miles from Wall Street
  • The Undefeated Mind: On the Science of Constructing an Indestructible Self
  • The Key: A True Encounter
  • Brain Candy: Science, Paradoxes, Puzzles, Logic, and Illogic to Nourish Your Neurons
  • The Genius in All of Us: Why Everything You've Been Told About Genetics, Talent, and IQ Is Wrong
  • Clutch: Why Some People Excel Under Pressure and Others Don't
  • Think Better: An Innovator's Guide to Productive Thinking
  • Finding Atlantis: A True Story of Genius, Madness, and an Extraordinary Quest for a Lost World
  • Creative Intelligence
  • Grimoires: A History of Magic Books
Michael Michalko is one of the most highly acclaimed creativity experts in the world. As an officer in the U.S. Army, Michael organized a team of NATO intelligence specialists and international academics in Frankfurt, Germany, to research, collect, and categorize all known inventive-thinking methods. His team applied the methods to various NATO military, political, and social problems and produced...more
More about Michael Michalko...
Thinkertoys: A Handbook of Creative-Thinking Techniques Cracking Creativity: The Secrets of Creative Genius Thinkpak: A Brainstorming Card Deck Yaratıcı Dehanın Sırları Rhythm and Rhyme