Start by marking “Amish Prayers” as Want to Read:
Amish Prayers

Amish Prayers

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  163 ratings  ·  26 reviews
A beautifully illustrated treasury of prayers newly translated from the original German Amish and Mennonite prayer book, with an introduction from Beverly Lewis.
Published April 1st 2011 by Bethany House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Amish Prayers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Amish Prayers

Amish Prayers includes a selection of prayers that have been translated from the original German and is introduced by Beverly Lewis. Each prayer is accompanied by a scripture from the King James Version of the Bible and includes beautiful black and white drawings of the Amish throughout. I found the prayers to be very insightful and with the inclusion of scriptures I think I may make use of this book for devotion guide.

About the Author:
Beverly Marie Jones (Lewis) was born in the heart of Amish
Author: Beverly Lewis
Publisher: Bethany House
April 2011
ISBN: 978-0-7642-0882-9
Genre: Inspirational/nonfiction/prayer

AMISH PRAYERS is a selection of prayers from the German Prayer Book, Die Ernsthafte Christenpflicht, available in English for our ease in reading—and praying—along with these heartfelt prayers.

The prayers are translated from the original German, with an introduction by Beverly Lewis. She also pairs each prayer with a Scripture passage. Accentuated by beautifull
Maureen Timerman
The Amish as well as other Anabaptist groups have used the same book of prayers for centuries. Now for the first time a selection of these prayers is readily available in English. This exclusive authentic translation from the original German--with an introduction by Beverly Lewis--will give readers insights into the spiritual foundations of the Plain people. Each prayer is paired with a Scripture passage to draw readers closer to God. This hardcover illustrated gift book is perfect for old and n ...more
Amish Prayers is a set of prayers, compiled by Beverly Lewis, translated from the original German prayerbook of the Anabaptists, Amish. Many of these prayers are learned by heart amongst Amish families and read aloud with the children in the mornings and in the evenings. These same prayers have been passed down for many generations and the German prayerbook is a cherished possession in the Amish home.

I couldn't help but feel I got a closer glimpse of the Amish as I was reading this devotional bo
Abbie Riddle
In the pages of this book the very heart of the Amish community is lain open for the world to see. It is in these prayers that were originally printed as Die Ernsthafte Christenpflicht in 1708 that we are invited into a deeper understanding of the faith that these people hold so dear. In prayer we each express those convictions of our faith that we hold close, those things that drive and influence us. It is in prayers that communities, families and churches are drawn together into a deeper more ...more
Beverly Lewis

AMISH PRAYERS compiled byBEVERLY LEWIS is a beautiful, small prayer book for every moment of a life. I am certain to read and reread prayers over and over again in this book. At the bottom of the page of each prayer there is a scripture verse that fits the particular prayer. The prayers are wide ranging in theme.There are prayers for: unity, gratitude, guidance, praise, strength and for the evening as well as other themes I have not named here.

What I liked most about the prayer book
I generally do not favor prayer compilations, as we tend to consider them more than the Bible - a practice that I disagree with, as I believe our prayer should be a personal communication with our Creator. However, I Mrs. Lewis's novels, which depict the Amish people with straightforwardness and a caring heart that reflects their deep communion with God. This sparked my curiosity about this book, knowing that the compilation would be made by someone knowledgeable in the matter, and despite that

Beverly Lewis has compiled a selection of prayers from the prayer book of the Amish. They are translated from the original German. They are organized into topical chapters such as Prayers for a New Day, Prayers for Comfort, and Prayers for Purity of Heart. Lewis wrote an introduction for the book and paired each prayer with Scripture.

There is a reason that these prayers have been around so long. They are Biblical, thought provoking, and honoring of God. The reader is left with plenty to think ab
Marie Ralston
Amish Prayers is compiled by Beverly Lewis. This book is a series of prayers which has been divided into different categories such as prayers for: a new day, divine guidance, gratitude, repentance, comfort, praise, strength, purity in heart, unity, humility, submission and the evening. This book is remarkable in that this is the first time that many of these prayers have been translated from their original source in German to English.

Each prayer is beautifully written and meaningfully phrased t
Jan 21, 2014 Audrey rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All Christians
This little book is full of prayers that have been prayed by Amish and Mennonite believers for hundreds of years. The prayers came from an old German book written in the 1700's entitled "Prayer Book for Earnest Christians: A Spiritually Rich Anabaptist Resource". This is a book every Christian would benefit from reading.
Admitedly I read this because I loved the irony of reading a e-book version of an Amish Prayer book. But these prayers are beautiful, theologically rich and self reflective. They come from the German prayerbook Die Ernsthafte Christenpflicht which is used by the Amish and other Anabaptists. The prayers are arranged here, topically as prayers for: a New Day, Divine Guidance, Gratitude, Repentance, Comfort, Praise, Strength, Purity of Heart, Unity, Humility, Submission and the Evening.

As the inter
Bluerose's  Heart
As the title says, this is a book of Amish Prayers. I found it to be a great devotional-type book. I'm not one who memorizes or recites prayers. I think they should come from the heart. I like reading them, though, because they give me ideas about things that I should be praying about, but haven't thought about.
Although I love reading about the Amish, I don't share most of their beliefs. I do admire their simplicity and their desire to please the Lord. I think that desire shines throughout this
Apr 12, 2012 Margaret rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Amish Prayers is a book of common prayers used by the Amish. They are heartfelt, prayers and a nice guide to use when you don't know exactly what to pray. They tend to be on the formal side but that does not take away from the content!

Overall I gained much from the forthrightness and humbleness (is that a word?) of these prayers. This is a book I will keep on my phone/kindle for reference.

This was a free download from Barnes and Noble, part of my personal collection.

Love and Blessings Always,
Kayla Eklund
I thought this was a great short read. Beverly Lewis's books are usually good, and this one is no exception. I was hoping for a little more amish stories in it, not just prayers and bible verses. However, it was still a very inspirational book. I didn't really have a favorite prayer or bible verse in Amish Prayers. I liked all of the book equally. It made a great Christmas gift for my mom, who absolutely loved it. It will definitely also make a great gift for anyone who likes Christian or Amish ...more
Vicki Krivak
English translations of a selection of prayers from "Die Ernsthafte Christenpflicht", and early
eighteenth century prayer book that has been used by the Amish and Mennonites for generations. It
was a great, short read. It's a very inspirational book. Would make a great gift for someone.
This book is beautiful in every way. It is not just the wonderful prayers to read everyday over and over again, but the size of the book is handy to have by your bedside and the illustrations are simple and meaningful. This is a book you will treasure and keep forever.
This book was a book of prayers from the Amish community. It was a good reminder of all the things we should pray for -- repentance, gratitude, our leaders, grace, humility, strength, etc. I found it very uplifting.
This was a very comforting and inspiring book. The prayers in this book were uplifting and helpful. I loved how every prayer ended with a scripture verse, and the chapter illustrations were just lovely.
For me, this was a nice, enjoyable evening read. Prayers of gratitude, prayers of devotion, prayers for contemplation. Nothing overly unique, but a nice, bedtime read.
Clayton Chase
Help us forget all our hearts' temporal and earthly concerns and only strive earnestly for that which is eternal and of you.
A collection of beautiful and meaningful prayers used by the Amish.
Katharine Holden
Rather dull, very Germanic prayers, many of them excessively lengthy.
Mar 02, 2012 Dianna rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Dianna by: Amazon giveaway
This is a book of various Amish prayers
These prayers are good for today also.
Laura Schrillo
It was okay, that sort of says it all.
May 11, 2011 PWRL marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011-new
Leah marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2015
Nancy marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2015
Kellie Demarsh
Kellie Demarsh marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2015
  • Plain Wisdom: An Invitation into an Amish Home and the Hearts of Two Women
  • The Simple Life
  • A Time for Peace (Quilts of Lancaster County, #3)
  • Secrets of Harmony Grove
  • Amish Values for Your Family: What We Can Learn from the Simple Life
  • A Cup of Comfort Women of the Bible Devotional: Daily Reflections Inspired by Scripture's Most Beloved Heroines
  • Patchwork Dreams (Amish of Seymour County, #1)
  • The Way to a Man's Heart (Miller Family, #3)
  • A Rose Revealed (Amish Farm Trilogy, #3)
  • A Stranger's Gift (Women of Pinecraft, #1)
  • Lilly's Wedding Quilt (Patch of Heaven, #2)
  • Simply Sara (Plain and Simple, #2)
  • The Survivor (Families of Honor #3)
  • A Promise for Miriam (The Pebble Creek Amish, #1)
  • Treasuring Emma (Middlefield Family, #1)
  • An Amish Love
  • Naomi's Gift (Kauffman Amish Bakery -- Christmas Stories #2)

Beverly Lewis, raised in Pennsylvania Amish country and both a schoolteacher and an accomplished musician, has been an award-winning author for over a dozen years. Her acclaimed novel, The Preacher's Daughter, was a 2006 Quill Book Award finalist in the romance category. Her books have appeared on numerous best
More about Beverly Lewis...