Start by marking “The Rendering: The CyberSkunk Files” as Want to Read:
The Rendering: The CyberSkunk Files

The Rendering: The CyberSkunk Files

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  53 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Thirteen-year-old Doug narrates in a series of blog posts (many interrupted by either his best friend, smart girl Jamie, or the artificial intelligence who mothers him, the avatar) how he came to temporarily save the world and to be branded a terrorist and a murderer. He was innocently playing video games in the employee lounge of the biotechnology center where his aunt wa ...more
Published May 22nd 2012 by EgmontUSA (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Rendering, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rendering

Sheila
Doug Solomon is being hunted for murder but he's only a kid. He has to stay away from the cops to help solve the "murder" and to keep the world from being destroyed by Roach and his henchmen. To help him he has his best friend and neighbor Jamie, 3 skunk people, and his "cyber" aunt. How will they stop this madman?

This was fun! I liked the style of the writing. It was different. I love first person point of view and Doug's voice is a hoot at times. He is a gamer and will be more than happy to ex
Jan 15, 2011 Jennifer rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jennifer by: jennsicurella@verizon.net
Shelves: sci-fi-other
The Rendering is an action-packed adventure filled with advanced technology. Through blog posts, Doug tells his story. An evil genius has set him up to take the fall for the death of his aunt and the explosion that destroyed her workplace. Doug's hiding out with three genetically and technologically enhanced skunks that serve as his protectors at his aunt's request. Doug's aunt is dead, but her consciousness lives on inside the internet.

Technically speaking, the blog post format bothered me. The
Giovanni Gelati
You know I am a sucker for a good YA novel on occasion and yes, this is that occasion. The Rendering by Joel Naftali is a fun romp that can be shared with the young members of the family and for that, it scores some extra points. The cover looks to be something from a graphic novel, but then again I enjoy graphic novels, so I thought , how can I lose on the deal, I just couldn’t. So let’s enter the world of Doug, Jamie, Dr. Roach, The Skunks, and VIRUS shall we:
“Thirteen-year-old Doug narrates i
Brenda
I didn't love this one, but I think that younger teen boys would like it a lot. If you want to get your son into reading, and he loves video games, this would be a great place to start.

I didn't really care for the blog post format, and think a straightforward telling of the story would have been better. Normally I like quirky things like that in books, but this time it didn't really work. It was actually boring at times.

Also, the thing that bothered me most was how, when they were super pressed
Shanshad Whelan
Ms. Yingling
This is a hard review to write because of the I Was Never A Boy factor. I will buy this and vigorously recommend it, but found it personally hard to get through. Indeed, Charlotte's Library said that it was not for everyone, but it IS perfect for so many middle school boys.

How could you not like this description from the publisher? "Thirteen-year-old Doug uses his blog to describe the events that led him from an afternoon of playing video games to saving the world, after one of his aunt's ex-emp
Jon Huber
The Rendering is a interesting and adventurous book about a boy named Douglas and his friend Jamie. Doug's parents died when he was young, so he just lives with his aunt. Douglas is a kid driven crazy by video games, and plays a lot. One day when he was playing video games at the biotechnology center where his aunt works, an ex-employee broke in and stole the center's equipment to digitize anyone, and he killed Doug's Aunt. He also exploded the center. Douglas escapes from the center and creates ...more
Chelsea
When The Rendering opens, Doug is blogging furiously about what has happened to him. Wrongly accused of killing his Aunt Margaret, his goal is to tell the world what really happened that fateful day. Between fighting off terrifying boidroids, befriending cyberskunk hybrids, and attempting to finish his homework, Doug's story is one high-octane adventure!

The Rendering is an exciting book for those boys (and girls!) out there who embrace their computer-loving, dorky side. Packed with so much actio
Adam

have you been wanted for a crime you didn't do? Well in this book a kid named Douglas has been wanted for a crime did not do, and he's just a normal boy that plays video games every day. I like this book because it takes place in the future since it has robot skunks and travels through inside a computer. This book has small chapters in it. It also has some words that you will have to look in the back of the book.

This book takes place inside a computer and in Douglas's neighborhood. Douglas los
Jessica Strider
Pros: excellent pacing and tension, nifty creatures

Cons: technology gets farcical, fun but stereotypical protagonists

For Parents: some violence

Will appeal more to kids than to adults. While it was a fun romp that made good use of the blog post format to help with pacing and tension building, by the end of the story the unbelievable technology and crazy creatures were a bit much for me.

Doug's guardian, Antie M, works for a secret weapon's laboratory. One night, while she's working late and he's p
Ibrahim
The Rendering by Joel Naftali is a graphic novel about a thirteen year old name Doug.Doug narrates in a series of blog posts how he came to temporarily save the world and to be branded a terrorist and a murderer. He was playing video games in the employee lounge of the biotechnology center where his aunt was a director.Then an insane genius ex-employee broke in, stole the equipment to digitize anyone and make his own biodroid army.He killed Doug's aunt, and blew up the center. Doug managed to e ...more
Danna
This was a really cute book! The cover’s not really pretty, but the story itself was fantastic.
The Rendering is told in blog posts which I think is really cool. The main character Doug is just your average thirteen year old-except that he’s wanted for murder by the government. I really liked that Doug had an awesome sense of humor even though he was being hunted down by VIRUS and the government. The skunks were also awesome characters. My favorite was Cosmo because he was so hilarious. The su
Samantha Boyette
I got into this knowing it might not be quite my bag of tea, but it was actually pretty good. It's really aimed at a much younger audience and that's very obvious, but it was still a fun read. The book was creative, that's for sure. If you've got a little boy who isn't so into reading, this is probably a great book to give them. It's got action, adventure, video games, and mutant talking skunks. It's pretty much your typical ten-year-old boy's dream book.

Overall the story was good, the character
Jessica at Book Sake
I was eager to begin reading a book that had a Matrix-like description attached to it. To be able to tell an action packed story in the form of blog posts after the fact is a hard task to undertake. I’m not sure why the author chose this format, but it did nothing for the story. Adding in the continual interruptions from Doug’s aunt and best friend – it slows down the story tremendously. The story could have been fun to read, exciting, and move along at a better pace if the format was changed. T ...more
Sajjan
It was a good book. I can't wait to read more books by this author. I really enjoyed it some funny parts some violence. All in all it was a great book.
Janie
Told in "blog" form, and while the story was fast paced, the narration felt a little disjointed. Also, there was so much futuristic technology that played such a huge role in the entire thing that it got confusing. Also, the book didn’t really end. It wasn’t quite a cliff-hanger, but I’m not quite sure if there will be more. And if there is, I’m not sure that I would be interested in reading it.
Crystal
I am definitely not the target audience for this book (12-15 year old boys). There was so much futuristic technology that I was often confused. The unbelievable technology and crazy creatures were a bit much for me. The story did keep me engaged enough to finish. I am sure that 12-15 yer old boys will love this series, but I don’t think I will be reading any more of this series.
Mary
I had a hard time getting through this book. I don't like science fiction, but I'm trying to read more of it so I can help kids who like SF find books. Maybe a kid would enjoy this more, but I found it incredibly boring and difficult to understand. Yes, I fully admit to having a hard time understanding a book written for a 5th grader!
Martha
Kept me reading, in spite of not expecting to. I expect that 5th-7th grade boys would appreciate this sci-fi, turn real life into video game feel. And there's always the "what if it really is true" question, with a sequel wanted to continue the fight.
Marlana
I loved it.

I have never been big on science fiction, but the humor and plot just made this book a winner. 5 Stars from me and I can't wait to read the next installment.
Rachel
Interesting story and unique storytelling format of a blog. Some unique characters.
Jenny Mock

Overall - interesting concept but it simply did not grab me.
Miss
Miss added it
Feb 21, 2015
Kerry
Kerry marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
Persie
Persie marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2014
Chris
Chris added it
Sep 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
The author of several books for adults, Joel Naftali was surprised to receive an e-mail from someone claiming to be notorious fugitive Doug Solomon. Although he cannot vouch for the accuracy of this book, and does not endorse any illegal activity, Naftali agreed to help Doug find a publisher. Naftali lives in Maine with his wife and son and lawyer, who instructed him to mention that he’s cooperati ...more
More about Joel Naftali...
The Hyperlink: The CyberSkunk Files Cooking In Paradise: Culinary Vacations Around the World Generation E: The Do-It-Yourself Business Guide for Twentysomethings and Other Non-Corporate Types The Rainbow Serpent: A Kulipari Novel An Army of Frogs: A Kulipari Novel