Start by marking “The Hoboken Chicken Emergency” as Want to Read:
The Hoboken Chicken Emergency

The Hoboken Chicken Emergency

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  799 ratings  ·  59 reviews
When the butcher at Murphy's Meat Market loses the order for the Bobowicz family's Thanksgiving turkey, young Arthur brings home a chicken weighing two hundred sixty-six pounds which causes a bizarre crisis in Hoboken, New Jersey.
Audio CD, Abridged
Published June 1st 2004 by HarperChildren's Audio (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about The Hoboken Chicken Emergency, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hoboken Chicken Emergency

Rain Misoa
Mar 10, 2012 Rain Misoa rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Children and People raised in Hoboken
Recommended to Rain by: Nicole Terazue A.K.A. My Best Bud!
So my friend comes to visit me for the first time in five years from up North for nine days. What do we do with our time together? A lot of stuff… and go to the library! XD I am such a nerd when it comes to books so of course I had to drag my best bud to one of the many branches my library has. I wanted to take her to all of them but, alas, there’s only so much you can do in nine days. Oh well… at least I managed to take her to one of them! Anyway, we go to one of the branches and we start brows ...more
Cheryl
I've been a fan of Pinkwater for years but somehow never read this before. For shame, as it's one of his most iconic. Funny, touching, funny, clever, especially good for those infamous young boy reluctant readers, oh, and funny. Ok, fine, maybe a little quieter than some of the author's other works. Not as short as the Irving and Muktuk: Two Bad Bears stories but still a very quick read.
How can you not love a 266 pound potato eating pet chicken with hurt feelings?
Emma (Miss Print)
I wasn’t sure about the book when it was foisted upon me by one of the children’s librarians. Chickens . . . they don’t seem that interesting. This is not the case for 266 pound chickens like Henrietta.

Arthur brings Henrietta home on Thanksgiving having failed to procure a turkey (or duck, or normal sized chicken) for his family’s holiday dinner. But, upon meeting Henrietta, the family decides she might be more pet than poultry. Chaos ensues, however, when Henrietta gets loose.

It’s a cute story
Lisa
Arthur fails to find a suitable bird for Thanksgiving dinner; instead, he buys Henrietta, a 266-pound live chicken. They soon form a bond. After he sadly has to return her, she escapes in hopes of finding him, resulting in a wide-spread state of panic throughout the town of Hoboken. My fifth grade teacher, Mrs. Finley, read this book to my class. However, thanks to multiple ear infections that year, I only ever heard parts of the books. So, I’m re-reading those whose titles I can recall. This wa ...more
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
I admire any writer who can write humor for elementary age students. You have to have just the right combination of making it seem real and funny without going too far over the edge. Pinkwater does a great job with this book. Funny, touching, and just an enjoyable little book. Great for girls or boys though boys might appreciate it more. Also really more for 7 to 9 year olds than 9 to 12 year olds. I would also recommend it for reluctant readers.

The book is basically a tale of friendship betwee
Arjuna G
This book is so much fun. I read it as a kid, & just read it aloud to the 12-year-old I take care of, to much laughter.
Saul
I read this book to my daughter and she liked it a great deal. It's full of Pinkwater zaniness and made us laugh out loud many times. It also contains some nice themes: Fear not what you don't understand; violence is not a solution; playing with mother nature is not dangerous; respect your parents. Overall, a great book for kids.
Medford Children's Library
Mar 20, 2008 Medford Children's Library rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: kids who like comedic books
Thanksgiving is a special day for Arthur's family. They have to reserve a turkey in advance. When it is Arthur's job to retrieve the turkey, he finds there are none left. So like any rational child would do, he goes into the apartment of a mad scientist who gives him a 260 lb live super chicken named Henrietta (at the bargain price of $16). When Henrietta breaks loose all of Hoboken New Jersey goes on an angry chicken hunt. This book is humorous with a really cute moral plus I love chickens so t ...more
Tobinsfavorite
The fourth star is for the reader, who is also the author.

We borrowed this for a road trip. My kids are probably three to five years too young to really enjoy this one, but I remembered reading it as a young person myself. I was quite surprised to hear a quick reference to email, but I think the book got updated somewhere along the line.

The story is silly and speckled with very funny characters. It's worth a listen, especially if your children are a bit older than mine.
Anna
recommended for EL310 at Chase Academy

The plot's a bit absurd, but that's what I loved about it. Kid goes out to pick up the turkey for Thanksgiving dinner, ends up bringing home a giant chicken! I'm hoping that the 310 kids will find this book as funny as I did. The text to page ratio is a bit higher than a lot of the other books that the 310 students haven been reading, but between the illustrations and the fun plot, I think students will muster through.
Marilyn Belsham
I first read this book in grade 3 and it always stuck with me as being so fun and funny (to a kid) so I recently ordered it for my son who is now in grade 3 himself. And? He loves it just the same as I did. It's too bad it's hard to find this - I had to special order it - because it really should be a classic that all young kids are introduced to.
Ingrid
Arthur is sent to bring home a Thanksgiving turkey, but comes home with a 266 pound chicken, Henrietta. Instead of cooking her, Arthur keeps her as a pet. His family makes him return Henrietta to her original owner, but she escapes to find Arthur. As you can image there is all sorts of chaos in Hoboken as most residents are terrified of Henrietta. This is a very funny book and it would probably make a great read aloud.
Scott
This was cute. It is extremely short and not a terribly involved story, but it has a charm and cleverness that makes it worth picking up if you’ve got a spare half-hour. I was afraid it would depend on the novelty of a giant chicken to carry it along (since chickens, like monkeys and penguins, are kinda automatically funny), but Pinkwater’s humor is fresh, often in subtle ways.
Nicole
So a 6ft, 266lb chicken is loose in Hoboken, what could go wrong? I found this in the library on a whim and picked it up. It's funny, I mean picture a chicken doing tricks on a playground, or just sleeping on the floor of a kids bedroom, like a dog.

This is a story about how things can be blown out of proportion, and how just a little patience and kindness can go a long way.
Matthew
Daniel Pinkwater truly is an exceptional author. I can't believe it's taken me as long as it has to read it, and even now, I don't think I would have gone from to cover to cover this quickly if it weren't for Pinkwater reading like a man on the run. He's truly wonderful, not two ways about it. He makes everyday sequences into true wonders.
Tracey
children's fiction. I've heard this characterized as middle grade, but I would say 3rd-5th (maybe hi-lo for 6th). The movie they made from it was so memorable I found that I couldn't concentrate or appreciate the text as much; I kept trying to remember what happened in the movie. But I think it would make a fine read-aloud or even a read-alone.
Tracie
Sent out to get a turkey for the family Thanksgiving feast, Aruthur returns with a live, 266 pound chicken which he keeps as a pet. Things are going along fine until Henrietta makes a few mistakes and Arthur's Dad insists she go. Hoboken becomes gripped with fear as the angry chicken terrorizes the populace. Quick and funny.
Nick
A third grade boys bookclub choice. Great for those who like the silly perspective and engaging without being stupidly gross or mindlessly zany. Pinkwater is a master and, though this book is a quick read, gives the reader an entertaining journey and plenty to talk about in terms of personal responsibility and laying blame.
Sara
My Grandfather Casey grew up in Hoboken so it was fun to read a story about that city that seemed to be taking place in the 1950s. One reason I really liked it was that it was so silly - not the best silly story I've ever read, but still a fun one.
Heather
A fun, quick little read. Reads like a classic, though it's been updated (mentions of e-mail, etc.). I don't know if I could get my kids to read it on their own, but I will be reading it to them when I finish My Father's Dragon and sequels.
Kristina
Totally forgot I read this when I was little and just starting to get into reading. Loved this book when I was little and now it reminds me of the long days of camping with my grandmother with nothing to do but read.
Anne
Continuing in our chicken theme....
This is the first time we've read the actual book -- have rented the "After School Special" several times from the library -- and it was great to read the original.
Travis
A very amusing little story about a boy that wants a pet and ends up with a giant chicken instead and the trouble this causes in his New Jersey neighborhood.
Very odd, but very sweet story.
Sps
Gr. 3-4. Typical, wonderful, solid Pinkwater, though actually less outrageous than, say, The Neddiad. Or even the books about Larry the polar bear. I see a Roald Dahl influence.
I liked that this book was set in NJ and had an "old NY/NJ" feel to the characters and neighborhoods. The story of the large chicken on the loose was not overly captivating, however.
Lauren
We watched this movie on snowy days in elementary school. My mom got me a copy for Xmas. My brother and I swear this is a Jersey thing b/c no one outside of Jersey has ever heard of it@!
Kerry
A good Thanksgiving pick, short and sweet. Teaching us all not to judge a book by it's cover. Or was the lesson, don't scream at the sight of giant chickens, it only enrages them?
Kendall
Who hasn't read this? It even turned up on our state assessments! Pinkwater is hilarious, but I am sure only adults get some of the humor. Regardless, kids love this one.
Katy
quirky story about a boy in Hoboken, NJ, who saves a chicken (who is a giant chicken); cute story of kids who like the unusual or the larger than life
  • Knights of the Kitchen Table (Time Warp Trio, #1)
  • Skinnybones
  • Mr. and Mrs. Bunny—Detectives Extraordinaire! (The Bunny's #1)
  • Whales on Stilts (Pals in Peril, #1)
  • The Hero Revealed (The Extraordinary Adventures of Ordinary Boy, #1)
  • Sophie Simon Solves Them All
  • Melonhead
  • Lady Lollipop
  • Ricky Ricotta Y El Poderoso Robot (Ricky Ricotta, #1)
  • A Royal Pain
  • Hubert's Hair Raising Adventure
  • The Tattooed Potato and Other Clues
  • Three Tales of My Father's Dragon
  • Galaxy Zack: Hello, Nebulon
  • The Five Lost Aunts of Harriet Bean (Harriet Bean, #1)
  • Mississippi Bridge
  • Yang the Youngest and his Terrible Ear
  • The Wonderful O
20575
Daniel Manus Pinkwater is an author of mostly children's books and is an occasional commentator on National Public Radio. He attended Bard College. Well-known books include Lizard Music, The Snarkout Boys and the Avocado of Death, Fat Men from Space, Borgel, and the picture book The Big Orange Splot. Pinkwater has also illustrated many of his books in the past, although for more recent works that ...more
More about Daniel Pinkwater...
The Big Orange Splot Lizard Music The Neddiad: How Neddie Took the Train, Went to Hollywood, and Saved Civilization 5 Novels: Alan Mendelsohn, the Boy from Mars / Slaves of Spiegel / The Snarkout Boys and the Avocado of Death / The Last Guru / Young Adult Novel Alan Mendelsohn, the Boy From Mars