Start by marking “The Men of the Bible” as Want to Read:
The Men of the Bible

The Men of the Bible

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  220 ratings  ·  23 reviews
This book was converted from its physical edition to the digital format by a community of volunteers. You may find it for free on the web. Purchase of the Kindle edition includes wireless delivery.
Published (first published March 8th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Men of the Bible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Men of the Bible

Will Sinclair
I recommend this book to all Christian males who are dedicated to examining the character of godly men. My favorite part of the book was at the end and Moody's exposition about the theif on the cross. A very good read and very practical.
Tyler
Moody offers a unique take on some familiar (and some not-as-familiar) stories from the Bible. It wasn't the best book I've ever read, but I'm glad I read it. (And I'm glad it was a free Kindle download!)
Nora
Certain Men

D. L. Moody is a great teacher and preacher , he has great wisdom and insight. I enjoyed his book with all but one exception, his liberal embellishments of the Biblical accounts. He begins by using the correct scriptures, then adds to the story.
For example,"I can imagine that Abraham talks to Isaac and tells him how hard it is to offer him up." He further adds, "They fell on their faces, and prayed together. After prayer I can see the old father take his boy to his bosom.." This is n
Luis Branco
In this book Moody speaks about several men of of the Bible, starting in the Old Testament he goes on talking about their faith but also about their mistake. I was quite impressed with the simplicity of words used in this book but also with the profound way in which Mood speaks to the readers about the greatness of God, the simplicity of man, the great love of God and the rebellious attitude of man. It is quiet impressive when he pointed the blackest spot in the life of the father of faith, Abra ...more
Martha Roy
Enjoying older books

I have always enjoyed the Reverend Moody's books and sermons that I have seen in the past. This book is no exception. The men who were chosen for this book weren't the "important" men of whom.most of us would expect, but the men who Christ touched especially, the men like that hung on the crossed to Jesus. Many of our church's doctrine was explained by looting closely at these men. I 're a ally enjoyed this book.
Stephen Cooling
Heartfelt and earnest, an easy read speaking into your soul

This is an excellent and important read because it speaks to the heart of the matter. We all need a little encouragement, confrontation and inspiration in our daily life. There is not a lot of wordy explanation, just direct to the point. I would recommend this book for your library, to read often.
Deborah Lorde
Interesting take

I.loved the way Moody captures what I believe to be the essence of a life lived for God. I enjoyed his take on the stories and he deep reflection on how we as Christian should portray God to the world
chris davis
Thought provoking and a great study on faith

Thought provoking and a great study on faith

This book is very well written and an encouragement to be a man of faith. I recommend this book to others.
Gary
Really enjoyed the directness, practical application, and intricate weaving of scriptural references.
His description of Bible characters brings framework and living color to his illustrations.

Not a book about characters as much as a book revealing how God uses the weakest of vessels for his purposes. Not about taking possession but a challenge to empty our selves and surrender our will to His.!!!!

Definitely a must read!!!
Christopher Gage
Many thanks

Many thoughts came to mind as I read the book. Gave me a new look about these men. I am going to change my thoughts.
Jill
I really enjoyed this book. While I've read about DL Moody's life, I don't know that I've ever read any of his writings. What made this book unique is while he does write about well known men such as Abraham, Moses and John the Baptist, several chapters are devoted to those "lesser known." Moody takes the faith and life lessons from the likes of Nehemiah, Joseph of Arimathea and the thief on the cross and then brings the application home to the reader.
Alan Talbert
Great book

though this was written long ago, I admire Moody's style and ability to relate Jesus to me. The selection of men to relate to were unique and interesting. I highlighted many lines in this book due to the succinct wisdom and truth.
Christopher Yee
This was a very encouraging read in that I was able to see many men from the Bible whose faith is often overlooked if not given the time of day. This book takes the time to look at the easily apparent great men of faith as well as the not so easily apparent great men of faith.
Joshua
A very enjoyable read, Moody was certainly a character and has a good way of bringing out and expanding on the characters of the Bible. His explanations are brilliant and the comparisons and contrasts equally so.
Deeann Tinkle
Learned alot

The English is a little Shakespearean. I learned somethings I either didn't know or didn't think of it in that way. Very Preachy for an alter call!
Stan Horst
D.L. Moody was a powerful man of God who had a gift at bringing the Scriptures to life. His descriptions of these men of the Bible give you the feeling of being there.
Vaughn
This was a great read, written with down-to-earth sense, practical application, and exceptional insight. A very encouraging read and highly recommended.
Franc Woods
Enjoyed the insights into some of the Bible's most interesting men... and how their relationships with God can be a guide to our own journey.
Art Silva
D.L. Moody explains and just the way he writes, really easy to understand. Love his stories and the way he speaks. Very powerful book.
Amanda
Another one of my favorites from this past year. Super easy to read, outstanding content. So encouraging!
NVTony
Interesting reading. Author made easy read while being informative.
Jason
Moody encourages readers greatly with this book.
Sally
Private interpretation.
Eryn
Eryn marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
John K Crawford
John K Crawford marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
David Turgeon
David Turgeon marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
Becky Boivin
Becky Boivin marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
June
June marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
  • Lord, Teach Us To Pray
  • The Person and Work of The Holy Spirit
  • The NIV Gospel of John: With Devotional Notes
  • Church Zero: Raising 1st Century Churches out of the Ashes of the 21st Century Church
  • The Truth of the Cross
  • Jesus in the Present Tense: The I AM Statements of Christ
  • The Meeting of the Waters: 7 Global Currents That Will Propel the Future Church
  • Selected Sermons Of Jonathan Edwards
  • 101 Faith Notes
  • Moses - Steps to a Life of Faith
  • Seeing through the Fog: Hope When Your World Falls Apart
  • Discover the Mystery of Faith: How Worship Shapes Believing
  • All about Jesus: The Single Story from Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John
  • On Christian Liberty (Facets)
  • Glorious Ruin: How Suffering Sets You Free
  • In His Will (Heartsong Presents #718)
  • Believing God Day by Day: Growing Your Faith All Year Long
  • Grace Abounding to the Chief of Sinners
Dwight Lyman Moody was a predominant evangelist, author, and publisher. Raised on a farm in Massachusetts, he moved first to Boston, where he converted to evangelical Christianity in 1856, and then to Chicago, where he prospered in business. He gave up business in 1860 and engaged in missionary work with the YMCA (186173).

He founded Moody Church and preached in the slums, emphasizing literal inte
More about D.L. Moody...
Secret Power The Overcoming Life Experiencing Pleasure and Profit in Bible Study Sovereign Grace Pleasure & Profit in Bible Study

“A man acquainted with God has more power than any earthly potentate. Gold can’t do everything.” 2 likes
“I have made this discovery: that it takes more love and self-sacrifice for the father to give up the son than it does for the son to” 1 likes