Start by marking “The Men of the Bible” as Want to Read:
The Men of the Bible

The Men of the Bible

4.17  ·  Rating Details  ·  466 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
MEN OF THE BIBLE WILL GIVE YOU NEW WAYS OF LOOKING AT YOUR BIBLE HEROES!

The Bible is full of men and women who shapped our world. Here D. L. Moody tells the story of nine men. Some you know, Abraham, Moses, John the Baptist...some you may not know, Naaman, The Penitent Thief, Nehemiah. All had a role to fulfill and Moody tells their stories in a historical and enlightening
Published March 30th 2011 by Amazon Digital Services LLC (first published January 1st 1898)

To ask other readers questions about The Men of the Bible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Men of the Bible

Will Sinclair
Oct 31, 2012 Will Sinclair rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I recommend this book to all Christian males who are dedicated to examining the character of godly men. My favorite part of the book was at the end and Moody's exposition about the theif on the cross. A very good read and very practical.
Tyler
Feb 22, 2012 Tyler rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Moody offers a unique take on some familiar (and some not-as-familiar) stories from the Bible. It wasn't the best book I've ever read, but I'm glad I read it. (And I'm glad it was a free Kindle download!)
Nora
Feb 17, 2014 Nora rated it really liked it
Certain Men

D. L. Moody is a great teacher and preacher , he has great wisdom and insight. I enjoyed his book with all but one exception, his liberal embellishments of the Biblical accounts. He begins by using the correct scriptures, then adds to the story.
For example,"I can imagine that Abraham talks to Isaac and tells him how hard it is to offer him up." He further adds, "They fell on their faces, and prayed together. After prayer I can see the old father take his boy to his bosom.." This is n
Doutor Branco
Feb 04, 2014 Doutor Branco rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lidos-em-2014
In this book Moody speaks about several men of of the Bible, starting in the Old Testament he goes on talking about their faith but also about their mistake. I was quite impressed with the simplicity of words used in this book but also with the profound way in which Mood speaks to the readers about the greatness of God, the simplicity of man, the great love of God and the rebellious attitude of man. It is quiet impressive when he pointed the blackest spot in the life of the father of faith, Abra ...more
Martha Roy
May 23, 2014 Martha Roy rated it really liked it
Enjoying older books

I have always enjoyed the Reverend Moody's books and sermons that I have seen in the past. This book is no exception. The men who were chosen for this book weren't the "important" men of whom.most of us would expect, but the men who Christ touched especially, the men like that hung on the crossed to Jesus. Many of our church's doctrine was explained by looting closely at these men. I 're a ally enjoyed this book.
Stephen Cooling
Heartfelt and earnest, an easy read speaking into your soul

This is an excellent and important read because it speaks to the heart of the matter. We all need a little encouragement, confrontation and inspiration in our daily life. There is not a lot of wordy explanation, just direct to the point. I would recommend this book for your library, to read often.
Deborah Lorde
Sep 09, 2014 Deborah Lorde rated it really liked it
Interesting take

I.loved the way Moody captures what I believe to be the essence of a life lived for God. I enjoyed his take on the stories and he deep reflection on how we as Christian should portray God to the world
chris davis
Jul 21, 2014 chris davis rated it it was amazing
Thought provoking and a great study on faith

Thought provoking and a great study on faith

This book is very well written and an encouragement to be a man of faith. I recommend this book to others.
Ramonita Rodriguez
excellent book by the well known preacher DL Moody...jeremiah, david, Elisha, Elijah, Isaiah, Abraham, Moses, etc...well written and a gem to have in your library!
Ben
Aug 05, 2015 Ben rated it it was amazing
Men of Faith

The Men of the Bible are so amazingly human,but yet so strong. Faith and forgiveness to inspire us in our own times that we may be given a chance to redeem ourselves at make it to the Kingdom of God our Father.
Anna
May 19, 2015 Anna rated it it was amazing
Moody does not waste an opportunity to preach the gospel and bring it in to every story shared and explored in this book. Refreshing reminders of the sweet salvation offered to us.
Charles Moore
Jan 27, 2016 Charles Moore rated it it was amazing
A must read!
Gary
Aug 08, 2014 Gary rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed the directness, practical application, and intricate weaving of scriptural references.
His description of Bible characters brings framework and living color to his illustrations.

Not a book about characters as much as a book revealing how God uses the weakest of vessels for his purposes. Not about taking possession but a challenge to empty our selves and surrender our will to His.!!!!

Definitely a must read!!!
Christopher Gage
Jan 30, 2014 Christopher Gage rated it it was amazing
Many thanks

Many thoughts came to mind as I read the book. Gave me a new look about these men. I am going to change my thoughts.
Jill
Sep 22, 2013 Jill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. While I've read about DL Moody's life, I don't know that I've ever read any of his writings. What made this book unique is while he does write about well known men such as Abraham, Moses and John the Baptist, several chapters are devoted to those "lesser known." Moody takes the faith and life lessons from the likes of Nehemiah, Joseph of Arimathea and the thief on the cross and then brings the application home to the reader.
Bironé
Nov 23, 2013 Bironé rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow, am I really the first to write a review on this? I only read this book because it was free for Kindle and I just started on it while I was riding on the train/waiting etc. but I really found it very good. Moody must have been a good preacher he really connects Bible characters and events to our daily experience. What would John the Baptist do today what it means to be an Abraham today...it was very inspirational a good reading altogether
Alan Talbert
Jan 01, 2014 Alan Talbert rated it it was amazing
Great book

though this was written long ago, I admire Moody's style and ability to relate Jesus to me. The selection of men to relate to were unique and interesting. I highlighted many lines in this book due to the succinct wisdom and truth.
Christopher Yee
Jul 11, 2014 Christopher Yee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a very encouraging read in that I was able to see many men from the Bible whose faith is often overlooked if not given the time of day. This book takes the time to look at the easily apparent great men of faith as well as the not so easily apparent great men of faith.
Joshua
Apr 08, 2013 Joshua rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very enjoyable read, Moody was certainly a character and has a good way of bringing out and expanding on the characters of the Bible. His explanations are brilliant and the comparisons and contrasts equally so.
Deeann Tinkle
Nov 12, 2014 Deeann Tinkle rated it really liked it
Learned alot

The English is a little Shakespearean. I learned somethings I either didn't know or didn't think of it in that way. Very Preachy for an alter call!
Stan Horst
Apr 28, 2013 Stan Horst rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
D.L. Moody was a powerful man of God who had a gift at bringing the Scriptures to life. His descriptions of these men of the Bible give you the feeling of being there.
Vaughn
Nov 20, 2011 Vaughn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great read, written with down-to-earth sense, practical application, and exceptional insight. A very encouraging read and highly recommended.
Franc Woods
Nov 15, 2013 Franc Woods rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed the insights into some of the Bible's most interesting men... and how their relationships with God can be a guide to our own journey.
Art Silva
Apr 23, 2013 Art Silva rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
D.L. Moody explains and just the way he writes, really easy to understand. Love his stories and the way he speaks. Very powerful book.
Amanda
Sep 17, 2013 Amanda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another one of my favorites from this past year. Super easy to read, outstanding content. So encouraging!
David Turgeon
Mar 13, 2015 David Turgeon rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book, challenging, talking not only about their lives, but how it applies to today.
NVTony
Sep 08, 2012 NVTony rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting reading. Author made easy read while being informative.
David Tai
Nov 13, 2015 David Tai rated it really liked it
Shelves: ministry-books
Free download from kindle. A good and practical read.
Mwizz
  • Let God Change Your Life: How to Know and Follow Jesus
  • Selected Sermons Of Jonathan Edwards
  • Moses - Steps to a Life of Faith
  • All about Jesus: The Single Story from Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John
  • The Meeting of the Waters: 7 Global Currents That Will Propel the Future Church
  • Discover the Mystery of Faith: How Worship Shapes Believing
  • Be Still
  • 101 Faith Notes
  • Godspeed: Making Christ's Mission Your Own
  • The NIV Gospel of John: With Devotional Notes
  • It's Your Call: What Are You Doing Here?
  • God Built (Joseph) - Forged By God...In The Bad And Good Of Life (Bold Man Of God, #2)
  • The Promises of God: Discovering the One Who Keeps His Word
  • Church Zero: Raising 1st Century Churches out of the Ashes of the 21st Century Church
  • The Top Ten Leadership Commandments
Dwight Lyman Moody was a predominant evangelist, author, and publisher. Raised on a farm in Massachusetts, he moved first to Boston, where he converted to evangelical Christianity in 1856, and then to Chicago, where he prospered in business. He gave up business in 1860 and engaged in missionary work with the YMCA (186173).

He founded Moody Church and preached in the slums, emphasizing literal inte
More about D.L. Moody...

“I believe that many a time trouble and sorrow are permitted to come to us that we may see the face of God, and be shut up to trust in Him alone.” 4 likes
“A man acquainted with God has more power than any earthly potentate. Gold can’t do everything.” 3 likes