Start by marking “Pagan in Exile (Pagan Chronicles, #2)” as Want to Read:
Pagan in Exile (Pagan Chronicles, #2)

Pagan in Exile (Pagan Chronicles #2)

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  428 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Catherine Jinks’s follow-up to PAGAN'S CRUSADE is another tale with special appeal for boys — filled with action, featuring a witty young narrator, and loaded with down-and-dirty details of medieval life.

The year is 1188, and Jerusalem is in the hands of the Infidel. Upstanding Crusaders and their squires—like Lord Roland Roucy de Bram and Pagan Kidrouk—are returning to Eu
Published January 19th 2004 by Candlewick Press (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Pagan in Exile, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pagan in Exile

Riv
Mar 12, 2011 Riv rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: high fantasy fans, history fiction fans, humor fans with a taste for the non-contemp
Can I say that I'm obsessed with The Voice?
<3Pagan<3
This quartet is definitely a favorite, though I really didn't like the ending (because of Pagan-love and Roland-love, not because it was bad) and also, for similar reasons, I didn't like what was going on with Roland and Esclaramonde.
Almost cried at the ending. The weirdest books are tearjerkers for me.

Another thing about the voice; this book has a really interesting writing style. It uses sentence fragments, but not because of the charac
Lana Del Slay
So I'm not much more coherent than when I finished the book because, um, all-night gaming bender = not enough sleep. Nevertheless I will try to give you something more than "OMG Roland/Pagan 4eva!" Because really, when it comes to these books, that's my default setting.

A quick note about accuracy: Jinks got honours in medieval history. Indeed, while we may think of it as a modern name, "Jordan" was in use at least in the early 13th century, contemporary to this story. That said, and I did go loo
cecille
3 1/2 stars

"Pagan in Exile" is the second in a four-book series about Pagan Kidrouk, a Christian Arab from Jerusalem who joins the Order of the Temple. In this book, 17-year-old Pagan serves as the squire of Sir Roland Roucy de Bram, a Templar Knight, who has gone home to recruit men for the Second Crusade. However, Sir Roland's family is content to stay and wallow in dirt, eat and drink to oblivion, and fight petty wars with neighboring fiefdoms.

The reader experiences the story unfold through P
Lady Knight
Catherine Jinks does it again! Typically sequels either fall flat or are much better than the original. I'm happy to report that "Pagan in Exile" is just as good as "Pagan's Crusade"! Pagan is still an ideal narrator with his biting wit and brilliant observations about everything.

This time the story picks up a few months after the battle for Jerusalem. Pagan and Lord Roland have travelled back to France (Languedoc) and intend to stay with Roland's family. Pagan expects them to be much like his m
Jamie
Apr 14, 2014 Jamie added it
Youth fiction, but still a very interesting read. Nice character development, and a really cool time period to read about. The second in the series, progresses nicely from the previous book.
Alison
I thought this book was a great read; it had humour, action a touch of romance and it was practically full of emotion. It's the second book in the series and I thought this book was just as good as the first book.
Roland, Pagan's squire returns to his homeland.. He meets his father but his father and family are as about as welcoming as (and I quote) ''a steaming turd.'' Pagan meets many new people, some bad and some good.. A series of events start to take place and Pagan and Roland find themse
Shannon
Very addictive, once you get into it. Pagan, as always, is colorful and full of the quips, but the setting here is far different from the one in the lively first novel, "Pagan's Crusade." Here, the majority of the story takes place within the Bram castle, with Lord Roland's vulgar relatives. Let's just say I lost my appetite for three days I spent reading this book in my spare time. After finishing it, though, I immediately checked out the third, "Pagan's Vows." This series is such a hidden gem!
Melody
I didn't like this one as much as I liked the first, but I do very much like Pagan as a character. Roland's turning out to not be very bright. The setting this time was France, and there's a lot of action but the plot wasn't strong. The only good thing was Pagan's voice- and it was good enough that I'll be picking up the next book in the series. With trepidation, but still.
Gloria
Just finished this one, and I will say I really enjoyed this a bit more than the first. This time we are filling out some of Roland's back story, by going to medieval France. Interesting examination of heretics, I think-- something I really had grasped when thinking about that time period.

Looking forward to getting to the next two books...
Nathan
If you enjoyed "Pagan's Crusade", as I did, you'll like this too. Catherine Jinks has developed a formula --witty dialogue, gritty action and educational historical settings-- that should appeal to young adult readers. I think I'm getting a little too old for these, but I'm not quite there yet. Quick and easy.
Catherine
Pagan and the Lord Roland have finally made their way to Roland's home in England. Pagan is very surprised at the frankly revolting family that Roland has come from. A sad tale with a very sad ending, I found it really hard to read because Roland's family is so hateful and sad.
Jenny
Since Jerusalem fell to Saladin, Lord Roland and his squire Pagan have traveled to Lord Roland's home to recruit soldiers for another Crusade. All is not well with the family, and soon Pagan and Roland are caught up in a land dispute . . .
Aphie
I love this series, and this book (the second) is probably my favourite. Although Pagan's acerbic wit is more restrained than in the other books he narrates, this is a compelling, easy read that illustrates life in Dark Ages France.
Louise
An easy read. More like a stream of consciousness than a narration, but that only adds tothe impact of Pagan's words as he describes his feelings and fear, and his loathing for Roland's family.
Clickety
Both fun and insightful. The characters are painted with a broad brush and become archetypal, though they did not seem (quite) stereotypical to me. Fascinating depiction of a heretic commune.
Jean
I liked these books but I can't get junior high students to read them. I think they don't have enough back ground knowledge about the middle ages to understand them.
Bronwen
I read the first four Pagan novels when I was younger and loved them, particularly the narrative style. I'd love to read them again some day.
Catherine
I don't remeber what this book was about... So I guess it wasn't that good... If it was I would have something better to say.
Brandon Meikle
A really good book. You get to know more about Lord Roland and his family and how they disprove of him becoming a Templar
Terry
Mar 20, 2009 Terry rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: ya
In the same vein as the first Pagan book, we are shown France in the late 1100s and learn a bit about the Cathar heresy.
Melanie
The continuing hilarious adventures of Pagan and Lord Roland as they try to take on Lord Roland's awful family.
Autumn
Oct 06, 2014 Autumn rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Autumn by: MaryAnn Crawford
Not quite as enjoyable for me as the first Pagan book, but still a really enjoyable book with great characters.
Elizabeth
Jun 21, 2008 Elizabeth rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Elizabeth by: Edith Kimbell
More misadventures of the intrepid young squire. This time a look at midieval knightdom in France- not a nice sight.
Robert Probst
Pretty good book, more for teens and young adults, but I'm a medveil junkie ,lol. It's a good read.
Lisa
A bit darker than the first book, it's like the Empire Strikes Back of the series.
Kr
Written for younger readers, but quite engaging nonetheless.
Rebecca Radnor
kindle
Wesnetz
Wesnetz marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2015
  • Blue Flame (Perfect Fire Trilogy, #1)
  • The Book of the Maidservant
  • The Lioness and Her Knight (The Squire's Tales, #7)
  • Bloodline (Bloodline, #1)
  • The Fire and the Light (Souls of Aredyrah, #1)
  • The Legend of Lady Ilena (Lady Ilena, #1)
  • Entre ciel et terre (Vango, #1)
  • Montmorency On The Rocks: Doctor, Aristocrat, Murderer? (Montmorency, #2)
  • The Ramsay Scallop
  • The Falconer's Knot: A Story of Friars, Flirtation and Foul Play
  • The Faithful Dead (Hawkenlye Mysteries, #5)
  • Serendipity Market
  • Sun Horse, Moon Horse
  • Dogboy (Brind, #1)
  • The Dreamer Vol 1: The Consequence of Nathan Hale
  • King of Shadows
  • The Cross-Legged Knight (Owen Archer, #8)
  • Ruse: The Victorian Guide to Murder
Catherine Jinks is the Australian author of more than thirty books for all ages. She has garnered many awards, including the Children’s Book Council of Australia Book of the Year Award(three times), the Victorian Premier’s Award, the Aurealis Award for Science Fiction, the Australian Ibby Award, and the Davitt Award for Crime Fiction. Her work has been published in Australia, New Zealand, Britain, ...more
More about Catherine Jinks...

Pagan Chronicles (4 books)
  • Pagan's Crusade (Pagan Chronicles, #1)
  • Pagan's Vows (Pagan Chronicles, #3)
  • Pagan's Scribe (Pagan Chronicles, #4)
Evil Genius (Genius, #1) The Reformed Vampire Support Group Genius Squad (Genius, #2) The Genius Wars (Genius, #3) The Abused Werewolf Rescue Group

“My lord-' (Pagan)
'I just want you to be happy. Safe and happy' (Roland)
'My lord, I'm safe and happy with you.' In God's name, Roland, why do you even ask? 'Where you go, I will go.”
1 likes