Start by marking “Carrying Mason” as Want to Read:
Carrying Mason

Carrying Mason

What does it mean to lay down your life? Luna has learned an awful lot in her thirteen years—how to skin a rabbit, how to gut a fish, here to pick the perfect wildflowers—but it’s not enough. When her best friend, Mason, dies, she decides to honor his memory by moving in with his mentally disabled mother, Ruby Day. While cooking and cleaning for Ruby Day isn’t always easy, ...more
Published August 23rd 2011 by Zonderkidz (first published August 9th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Carrying Mason, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Carrying Mason

Written Melodies
Nov 09, 2011 Written Melodies rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: 4th-8th grade
Recommended to Written Melodies by: Z Street Team
Shelves: families, christian, arc
**Quotes taken from ARC**

Promises are to be kept.

Thirteen year-old Luna Gleason, the third of six children, is not your typical teenager. Following the surprising death of her best friend, Mason, Luna decides to move in with his special needs mother, Ruby Day. Once permission is granted from her parents, Luna sets her plan in motion. Luna and Ruby Day quickly fall into a routine that is threatened by exposed secrets prompted by the arrival of Aunt Sapphire, Ruby Day’s aunt.

Luna, despite the ob
Meagan Myhren-bennett
Nov 05, 2011 Meagan Myhren-bennett rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Z Street Team
CARRYING MASON

By Joyce Magnin

Luna’s best friend has died and she is determined to be a pall bearer in Mason’s funeral even though her father says girls can’t. But then 13 year old Luna finds a bigger challenge - Mason’s mother needs help. Mason always told Luna about the things that his mother forgot to do – things like turning off the stove or remembering to go to bed.

Luna feels that she owes something to Mason as he was always there for her, so she asks her parents to let her stay with Ruby D
Amanda Macnaughton
Mar 14, 2012 Amanda Macnaughton rated it really liked it
A true Christian book for young people, this one goes way beyond the feel-good Christian fiction popular nowadays (you know, a Christian kid who faces some peer pressure and typical temptations,but ultimately does the right thing). This book is about doing the truly Christian thing when it's really, really hard, which is why I appreciated the book so much. I'm giving it four stars mostly because of its ethical content. Luna's best friend Mason dies, leaving behind his mother, Ruby Day, who is me ...more
Michelle (Much Loved Books)
Jun 11, 2011 Michelle (Much Loved Books) rated it liked it
Recommended to Michelle by: netgalley
“Mason listened to me and never made me feel like it didn’t matter”

This was my favourite qoute in the book. Carrying Mason is about Luna, and how she deals with her friends death, and feels the need to be there for Ruby Day, and look after her in place of Mason.

The book explores the relationships Luna has with her family, and her older sister Delores and how the town treats Ruby Day.

We start the book with Luna talking to her Father about being a pallbearer for Mason. The books moves at a steady
Shonna Froebel
Nov 21, 2012 Shonna Froebel rated it liked it
This children's novel is set in the late 1950s in a small town in Pennsylvania. Luna is 13, the second oldest in her family of five children, and mourning the death of her best friend Mason. Mason was an only child, who lived with his mentally disabled mother Ruby May. At first Luna is struck by her own loss, but she soon feels for Ruby May, who having previously lost her husband, has now lost her only child. Ruby May is grieving and is missing the support she had from Mason. Luna approaches her ...more
Trish
Sep 16, 2011 Trish rated it liked it
3 stars/Juvenile

Ruby Day isn't like everyone else in her small town. Her disability draws the attention of her small community, but not always in a positive way. After Ruby Day loses her only son in an accident, his best friend Luna decides that it is now up to her to move in to look after Ruby Day. When Ruby's Aunt shows up to escort her to back to Philadelphia to a hospital for the feebleminded, she finds out how determined a town is to save one of their own.

I enjoyed this novel for several re
Megan
Sep 28, 2011 Megan rated it liked it
Recommends it for: grades 6-8
Recommended to Megan by: Z Street Team
Even while mourning the unexpected death of her best friend, Mason, Luna realizes that Mason's mentally disabled mother will need someone to help her. Luna convinces her parents to let her move in with Ruby Day to help her out with day to day tasks. Things get to be too much for Luna to handle by herself when Ruby Day's aunt shows up and insists that Ruby Day be returned to a mental institution.

I liked the realistic way this book dealt with grief, and I liked Luna's relationship with her parents
Librarybarbie
Jun 29, 2011 Librarybarbie rated it really liked it
Luna grows up quickly when her best friend Mason dies unexpectedly. Suddenly her days that used to be filled with laughter and fun with Mason are replaced with the self-inflicted need to take care of Mason's mentally impaired mother just as Mason had.

Thirteen year old Luna shows a wisedom and strength beyond her years as she grows emotionally in her journey from "carrying Mason" in his coffin to carrying him in her heart as she makes sure his mother, Ruby Day, is taken care of in her own home to
Kait
Oct 26, 2011 Kait rated it liked it
This was a quick intresting read that had me in tears more than once, after the sudden death of her best friend Mason, Luna feels it's her calling to take care of his mother who isn't all there. This was a very touching story of a little girls faith, and her power to do what she believes she was called to do. If you want a short inspiring read don't be afraid to pick this up.
Lyn Ehley
Apr 21, 2012 Lyn Ehley rated it it was amazing
This was a really good story for teens and young adults about seeing the value in everyone, including the developmentally disabled, and standing up for their rights. Faith and determination carry Luna to a mature and positive story ending. Well written, true human reactions and character developed, I recommend this quick read.
Kathy Chung
Aug 15, 2014 Kathy Chung rated it it was amazing
I think Joyce magnin is an incredible writer. I have read 3 of her books as at todate and all three made me feel good.

this one us no exception. I love Luna's spirit..It gives hope.
Aug 29, 2011 Laura rated it it was ok
Shelves: bks-grade-4-5
Sorry, it is just too hard to believe that even in 1958 parents would let a 14-year-old leave home to care for a special needs adult who was not related to them.
PWRL
Nov 05, 2014 PWRL marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-new
A
Brenda
Aug 24, 2011 Brenda marked it as abandoned
I got bored and gave up. Too unrealistic for me
Ally Healy
Feb 11, 2016 Ally Healy rated it it was amazing
GREAT REALLY LOVED IT
Laura rated it really liked it
Jan 14, 2013
Jennifer rated it liked it
Aug 12, 2013
Sherry
Sherry rated it liked it
Jan 05, 2015
Jessica Garner
Jessica Garner rated it really liked it
Dec 15, 2011
Jordyn
Jordyn rated it it was amazing
Jun 08, 2014
Bayliegh Boo
Bayliegh Boo rated it really liked it
Nov 20, 2013
Diana Flegal
Diana Flegal rated it really liked it
Jan 30, 2013
Marie Lamontagne
Marie Lamontagne rated it it was ok
Sep 08, 2013
Attagirl83
Attagirl83 rated it really liked it
Sep 25, 2013
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it it was ok
Jan 04, 2017
Diana Sharples
Diana Sharples rated it it was amazing
Sep 24, 2015
Runnergirl
Runnergirl rated it liked it
Jun 18, 2014
Candy
Candy rated it it was amazing
Aug 01, 2014
Halee
Halee rated it really liked it
Jul 18, 2016
Heather
Heather rated it it was amazing
Oct 17, 2011
Um, I like cross stitch, baseball, my children and grandkids, but not elevators or laundry. I've been known to run from mayonnaise and I play RPG video games. I don't have a favorite author although I read a lot.
More about Joyce Magnin...