Start by marking “The Plan of Chicago: Daniel Burnham and the Remaking of the American City” as Want to Read:
The Plan of Chicago: Daniel Burnham and the Remaking of the American City

3.4 of 5 stars 3.40  ·  rating details  ·  261 ratings  ·  38 reviews
Arguably the most influential document in the history of urban planning, Daniel Burnham’s 1909 Plan of Chicago, coauthored by Edward Bennett and produced in collaboration with the Commercial Club of Chicago, proposed many of the city’s most distinctive features, including its lakefront parks and roadways, the Magnificent Mile, and Navy Pier. Carl Smith’s fascinating histor ...more
Published August 15th 2006 by University Of Chicago Press (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Plan of Chicago, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Plan of Chicago

London by Peter AckroydSeven Ages of Paris by Alistair HorneA History of Venice by John Julius NorwichSalonica, City of Ghosts by Mark MazowerA Short History of Byzantium by John Julius Norwich
Histories of Cities
39th out of 97 books — 49 voters
The Devil in the White City by Erik LarsonLiliana by Neva Squires-RodriguezGang Leader for a Day by Sudhir VenkateshThere are No Children Here by Alex KotlowitzAmerican Project by Sudhir Venkatesh
Chicago!
30th out of 34 books — 7 voters

More lists with this book...

Elizabeth
The Plan of Chicago by Carl Smith (pp. 172)

The Plan of Chicago discusses the classic 1,650 page, two volume city planning document of the same name published by Daniel Burnham, Edward Bennett, and the Commercial Club of Chicago. Carl Smith tells the story of the over 300 individuals who came together over almost two decades to influence the growth and development of Chicago.

While only 172 pages and supported with numerous illustrations and turn of the century photos, Smith’s work is a dense rea
Pang
The book was ok for me. It was interesting, though not fascinating. To me, the book seemed more like a book review, with a little bit of history and nice pictures injected into the text. I didn't learn anything new than what I'd seen and watched on WTTW. I guess I was looking for more details of the Plan, which I may have to read other books for. It did, however, made me appreciate a grand planning and ways to gain public support. Burnham and co. did think big!
Mumford observes, however, that des
Jason Pettus
(Full review can be found at the Chicago Center for Literature and Photography [cclapcenter.com].)

It's simply impossible to understand the importance of architect Daniel Burnham's 1909 Plan of Chicago without first looking at some pre-Plan statistics: for instance, the fact that from 1840 to 1900, the population of the city grew from 5,000 to over two million; that by then the city limits stretched over 180 square miles, including 3,000 miles of streets and 1,400 miles of alleys; that barely hal
Stephen Rynkiewicz
Chicago has dozens of neighborhood groups that try to nudge the course of development. A century ago there was "The Plan of Chicago," a coffee-table book produced by Daniel Burnham's architectural practice, funded by Burnham and a host of business heavyweights. It's comforting that community organizers now can speak with the same authority as those captains of industry once did with the Burnham Plan. But as a community volunteer who reads a lot of planning documents, I can't help but think that ...more
Heather
When Nate gave this book to me and I started reading it, I realized that this wasn't the text of THE plan of Chicago, but a kind of paraphrasing of it, and I said to Nate "why can't I just read the real thing." Well, one reason is it's a huge honking book, that's why. But I was definitely glad because this short and sweet book, filled with pictures, covers the history of Daniel Burnham, and what led up to the plan, as well as (my favorite part) the actual changes made in the city, after the plan ...more
Karin
Not much to say here, other than it’s a non-fiction book about the making and implementing of the Plan of Chicago. Since I live here, I thought I should read it. It’s pretty cool to see how things in the plan played out in real life.
Erica
I like moving through Chicago with some background about why and how buildings, trains, and streets were constructed. This book did not give me that history. The book missed exciting opportunities to draw parallels between Chicago of the late 1800s/early 1900s and today, characterize Burnham and others realistically as opposed to iconic men of History, describe "City Beautiful" and other intellectual movements, and comment on prevailing sexism, racism, and classism logics. Instead, the book spen ...more
Bill
An interesting follow up for anyone who read "Devil in the White City." Daniel Burnham (the primary planner of the Columbian Exposition of 1893) drafted a comprehensive plan for improvements to the city of Chicago. There are several things that are remarkable about the plan, but I thought it was fascinating that this was a privately-funded plan.

The book itself is too dry and academic for my tastes. I wish the book explored more of the implementation of the plan itself. But otherwise, if you've
Sheila
This fall's One Book, One Chicago selection.

An interesting book that tells the story of the creation of The Plan of Chicago (often referred to as the Burnham Plan), describes the Plan itself, and discusses the impact it had on Chicago city planning.

I found it dense in spots, and when I didn't have personal knowledge of the area of the city that was being discussed, I got a little lost, but it's worth it for the accompanying art alone--illustrations from the Plan, and pictures of Chicago over the
Clare
Interesting and thorough, if somewhat dry. An obvious choice for anyone who loves Chicago and/or urban planning. I think I would have liked it more if Smith sprinkled in more "and you can see the effects of this today..." explanations throughout the book rather than saving it to the last couple chapters. Very nice to have the illustrations and photos. It was fun to see what they thought chicago would look like and how it actually turned out. Grant park? Got it! Giant domed building at Congress a ...more
Jean
The Fall 2009 "One Book One Chicago" pick. We're celebrating the 100th anniversary of the Burnham Plan for making Chicago a livable city, notably by turning the lakefront into open parkland for all. After multiple library renewals, finally made the effort to finish this. It was rather boring in sections, with lots of mundane detail on the committees. The last two chapters about how the plan was promoted and which parts of the plan were actually implemented were the most interesting.
Larissa
Though the title screams beach read!, this slim history of the Plan of Chicago and its primary mustachio'd planner, Daniel Burnham, is a densely packed account of an era's mindset, aesthetic, ideals and flaws. Equal parts repetitive and educational, it's a must-read if you want a better look at one of Chicago's defining documents and an example of big plans stirring major blood. Plus it's 75% cheaper than a reproduction of the actual Plan of Chicago and has pretty pictures!
Leahc
Being a Chicago girl, I am addicted to learning more about the city. In 1909 Daniel Burnham published a book called The Plan of Chicago. This book is by Carl Smith and talks about that book, why it was needed and what came out of it.

I thought it was really interesting to see many of the proposals at the turn of the century alive and well today.

There are tons of cool city pictures from the book itself as well as photographs taken at various times.
Linda
I enjoyed reading this more than the actual Plan. Smith turns a healthy critical eye on the Plan and its creators and gives credit where merited. I appreciated that he mentions on several occasions that there is no proof Burnham said "Make no little plans!". Our politicians flock to that quote to justify any wreckless boondoggle, like the 2016 Olympic bid. Little and medium plans are also worthwhile.
Shannon Maza
This certainly wasn't a page turner, but from a historical perspective, very informative. When the book referenced certain areas of Chicago, it helped that I live here and could picture what they were talking about. This would be good for a history class but not if you are looking for something to appeal to your imagination.
Ben
I enjoyed the sections about Chicago's development since Burnham the most. I kinda feel bad for Burnham. From everyone I've talked to about Devil in the White City, people without a background in architecture preferred the Burnham story while readers with a background in architecture enjoyed the murder story more.
Jerry Delaney

Every Chicagoan should know about Daniel Burnham. I hope most do. But this book us through the 1909 Plan of Chicago, one of the first urban planning documents. Not everything in the plan was implemented, of course, and it's fun to speculate what things would look like now if they had.
James
Carl Smith's review of The Plan of Chicago was written for the original's 100th anniversary. I found it a surprisingly written with a good pace and level of detail. I would have loved more illustrations, but maybe I'll just have to go find and explore a copy of the actual Plan.
Alisa
This book was great because I truly will never have the time to read the entire plan. It was very honest about the times and Burnham's role in writing this plan. As with his architecture, he was the big idea guy, who had others execute.
Baja
Urban Planning book about Chicago and understanding how the Plan of Chicago was created. Anyone interested in the history of Chicago and how certain streets, buildings and bridges came to be would like this book.
Kathleen Lockhart
A little too detailed and dry for my taste. ( disclaimer- I'm not usually a fan of straight history so I'm probably not the intended audience)
Matico
Jul 08, 2008 Matico added it
Useful as an introduction to the subject, though lacking the comparative material that would make the story really interesting and valid as historical research. A quick, light read.
Amanda Lonis
Interesting choice for One Book, One Chicago. I found it interesting, especially after living Chicago. This would be good to read along with Devil in the White City.
Michael
May 07, 2009 Michael marked it as to-read
As the centennial of the 1909 Plan of Chicago approachs, reading this should help get a headstart on the upcoming festivities and related monkey-wrenching projects.
David Eppenstein
A thought provoking look at probably the pivotal work of contemporary city planning. Not a book for somebody not interested in this field of endeavor.
Bam
I read this book after finishing The Devil in the White City to learn more about Burnham. I found this book interesting but a little dry.
Britt
Aug 31, 2009 Britt added it
Very interesting explanation of the revolutionary urban plan for Chicago. This year (2009) is the 100th Anniversary of the Plan.
Rachel
I learned so much about what makes Chicago such a dynamic and singular city. Plus it was history...I just LOVE the subject
Drew
Mar 26, 2010 Drew added it
The Plan of Chicago: Daniel Burnham and the Remaking of the American City (Chicago Visions and Revisions) by Carl Smith (2006)
Melanie
Great background and history about Burnham and his plan for the city - a bit dense with details - but a good read.
  • City of the Century: The Epic of Chicago and the Making of America
  • Lost Chicago
  • Chicago: A Biography
  • Never a City So Real: A Walk in Chicago
  • Heat Wave: A Social Autopsy of Disaster in Chicago
  • American Pharaoh: Mayor Richard J. Daley - His Battle for Chicago and the Nation
  • Chicago: City on the Make
  • Boss: Richard J. Daley of Chicago
  • Division Street: America
  • Nature's Metropolis: Chicago and the Great West
  • Making the Second Ghetto: Race and Housing in Chicago 1940-1960
  • Making a New Deal: Industrial Workers in Chicago, 1919-1939
  • Death in the Haymarket: A Story of Chicago, the First Labor Movement and the Bombing That Divided Gilded Age America
  • The Measure of Manhattan: The Tumultuous Career and Surprising Legacy of John Randel, Jr., Cartographer, Surveyor, Inventor
  • There Goes the Neighborhood: Racial, Ethnic, and Class Tensions in Four Chicago Neighborhoods and Their Meaning for America
  • Variations on a Theme Park: The New American City and the End of Public Space
  • Twenty Years at Hull House
  • The Promised Land: The Great Black Migration and How It Changed America

Chicago Visions and Revisions (5 books)
  • Barrio: Photographs from Chicago's Pilsen and Little Village
  • Soldier Field: A Stadium and Its City
  • The Wagon and Other Stories from the City
  • The Third City: Chicago and American Urbanism
Urban Disorder and the Shape of Belief: The Great Chicago Fire, the Haymarket Bomb, and the Model Town of Pullman Chancellorsville 1863: Jackson's Lightning Strike Gettysburg 1863: High Tide of the Confederacy (Campaign) The Shady Dragon Inn (Dungeons & Dragons accessory AC1) Pearl Harbor 1941: The Day of Infamy - Revised Edition