Start by marking “Dear Mr. Holmes: Seven Holmes On The Range Mysteries” as Want to Read:
Dear Mr. Holmes: Seven Holmes On The Range Mysteries

Dear Mr. Holmes: Seven Holmes On The Range Mysteries (Holmes On the Range Mystery)

Big Red and Old Red Amlingmeyer have starred in five novels, rustling up award nominations and fans aplenty as they cracked mysteries using the methods of their hero, Sherlock Holmes. How did these Old West drifters first discover Holmes, though? And how did their early, awkward stabs at "deducifying" turn out? These seven short stories provide the answers. In "Dear Mr. Ho ...more
Published (first published April 7th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Dear Mr. Holmes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dear Mr. Holmes

Cathrine Bonham
Apr 22, 2012 Cathrine Bonham rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sherlockia
Any fan of Steve Hockensmith's Holmes on the Range series will love this collection of seven short mysteries featuring Old Red and Big Red Almingmeyer. These seven stories cover about a year in the lives of the cowboy detectives, starting before the first book Holmes on the Range and ending just before the fourth The Crack in the Lens. The author is even nice enough to point out where each of the three novels should have come in at. The obsessive reader will notice a few inconsistencies but if w ...more
David
Nov 11, 2012 David rated it it was ok
The Description of this book on GOODREADS is wrong. These aren't HOLIDAY mystery stories. But rather, seven short mysteries featuring Old West detective Old Red and his brother, who wander about the old west attempting to apply Holmesian techniques to solving mysteries.

As with any story collection, this one is a bit uneven. Meaning that some of the stories are pretty good, have the right hooks and flavor to keep the reader reading. These were in the front of the book. It is almost as if the stor
Julie Davis
Apr 27, 2011 Julie Davis rated it really liked it
"Holmes on the Range" stories are about two cow-punching brothers who read Watson's stories about Sherlock Holmes and then use similar deductive techniques to solve mysteries in the Old West. More correctly Old Red solves the mysteries a la Holmes and Big Red writes the stories up a la Watson. Author Steve Hockensmith says in the introduction that he was trying to think of a way to write Holmesian stories in an unusual way when his wife asked him to go hiking. He realized that the Old West and V ...more
Summer
Aug 02, 2016 Summer rated it really liked it
Having finally read all the Holmes on the Range books, my final verdict is that the first two novels and a decent proportion of this short story anthology are five star material, but if you're looking for what I'm looking for in a series, better to ignore the rest.
These short stories were written before the third book, and it really shows. Most of the stories were exactly what I was looking for in this series - solid and funny writing, a vivid narrative voice, and a strong yet plausibly contenti
Donna Robbins
Jun 08, 2014 Donna Robbins rated it really liked it
If you're a fan of Hockensmith's "Holmes on the Range" novels featuring the Amlingmeyer brothers, then you'll want to read this too; it's a collection of short stories, I think most of them originally published in Ellery Queen Mystery magazine. I'm not a big short story fan, but I enjoyed these easily as much as the novels.

I love the entire series, especially the audio versions of the novels narrated by William Dufris, whose the narration is over the top (which matches the voice of the narrator
Jan McClintock
Aug 30, 2011 Jan McClintock rated it it was amazing
Whether or not you've read any of the "Holmes on the Range" books yet, you will love this set of stories set in the 1890's west with adventure, mystery and humor. I'll bet afterward you'll be stamping at the bit for more.

Most of these seven stories were originally published in a nationally-known mystery magazine, but because I don't read that prestigious periodical, they were all new to me. The author was kind enough to send me this book to review, and since the Amlingmeyer Brothers are two of m
Jessica at Book Sake
Jul 10, 2011 Jessica at Book Sake rated it really liked it
Book Review
I really wanted to read this book (and any of the Holmes books by Hockensmith) after reading Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: Dawn of the Dreadfuls (Quirk Classics) and Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: Dreadfully Ever After (Quirk Classics). I love Sherlock Holmes tales, but I have never read anything that would be considered Western, still this series intrigued me and reading the short stories seemed like a great way to get an introduction to these characters.

Big Red and Old Red are
J. York
Apr 13, 2011 J. York rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
This is a fun and enjoyable adjunct to Steve Hockensmith's five excellent "Holmes on the Range" mystery novel series, reprinting seven short stories featuring his range-roving Sherlock Holmes wanna-bes, Big Red and Old Red Amlingmeyer reprinted from various mystery magazines.

If you've never heard of Hockensmith or his characters, this is a great introduction, including the very first story to feature his crime-solving cowpoke brothers. And if you've read the novels and hunger for more, this is a
Cathy Cole
Jan 03, 2014 Cathy Cole rated it really liked it
Sometimes I just want to have fun while I'm reading, and when that mood swept over me this month, I found myself turning to Steve Hockensmith's collection of seven short stories about the Amlingmeyer brothers-- the cowboy detectives of the Old West. It did not disappoint.

When reading the author's collection of Christmas short stories, I learned to read everything included so I wouldn't miss a single laugh, and the same thing holds true for Dear Mr. Holmes. Since most of these stories were origi
Gail Gauthier
Jan 11, 2015 Gail Gauthier rated it really liked it
I'm a big fan of the Holmes on the Range novels. While these short stories are well done mysteries that stay true to the Holmes on the Range premise, I found it difficult to stay with the whole book. I kept leaving it between stories. I enjoy the novels more, probably because I can get into the world and then stay there for a while.
Melody
Jun 07, 2014 Melody rated it really liked it
Excellent stories from our detective cowboys. The stories explain what happened to the brothers in between the books. More mysteries and misfortune for the boys. Someday their ship will come in and big Red will get credit for his deducifying and get a job worthy of his skills.
Leslie
Sep 18, 2016 Leslie rated it really liked it
I am neither a Sherlock Holmes fan or much of a fan of Westerns, but this book tickled me. It may be my Wyoming roots and growing up with cowboys. Regardless, this is a fun collection of short stories. Lots of colorful descriptions add nicely to the tales.
Brad Mcbride
Oct 02, 2014 Brad Mcbride rated it liked it
This was a great concept, but the mysteries are very disappointing. I've watched Scooby-Doo mysteries that were more intricate.
Calvin
Oct 23, 2015 Calvin added it
Shelves: sherlock-holmes
I think the characters of Big Red and Old Red work better in short stories
David Isgur
Jun 02, 2015 David Isgur rated it it was amazing
I love the "Holmes on the Range" series, and this short-story collection works for the die-heard fan as well as those just meeting Old Red and Big Red for the first time. For the novice, this is a wonderful introduction to these cowboys and their detecting and storytelling skills. For those readers who have devoured every word of this series, these stories remind us why we love these two characters and what made them so special. Of course, this collection really justs whets one's appetite for mo ...more
Dava Stewart
Oct 22, 2013 Dava Stewart rated it really liked it
I'm not a huge fan of short stories -- mostly because I usually want to dig in for the long haul when I get into a story. But, I really enjoyed these. I liked the letter-format a lot and think it added a hint of mystery to the story. Where would the brothers turn up next?

The whole combination of cowboy, humor, and detective made this irresistible. I'm not going to immediately download Holmes on the Range right now, but definitely will in the future.

I recommend this one to anyone who likes char
Mark Baker
Mar 02, 2014 Mark Baker rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011, mystery
I had never read any of the short stories about Old Red and Big Red, although I've read all the novels. So I enjoyed getting to go back and find out about some of their other cases. This collection of 7 short mysteries is fun for fans of Sherlock Holmes or Westerns.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Chris
Seven short de-ducifying mysteries in the form of letters. This filled the need for some Sherlock like stories as it doesn't appear the author will be writing another book about these two brothers for awhile.
Sariene
Love this series, and these didn't disappoint. I don't much like the short story format, as a rule, but these were great. It helps a lot that they're part of a larger series, so they weren't packed too full of cumbersome exposition, which is what I generally hate about short stories.
Fullfaun
Feb 21, 2014 Fullfaun rated it it was amazing
These stories fit in around the books.
Really really good.
Kevin Lanahan
A good collection of short stories that fills in some of the blanks between the novels, and tells how the Amlingmeyer boys got started deducifying in the first place. A solid read.
Carolyn
Aug 02, 2013 Carolyn rated it it was amazing
I was fortunate to win a giveaway of the audiobook - a great series of stories to quell your Amlingmeyer withdrawal symptoms ;D
Darlene Cypser
Aug 20, 2012 Darlene Cypser rated it really liked it
Shelves: sherlock-holmes
Clever little mysteries set featuring cowboys. If you like westerns and you like classical puzzle mysteries, give these a try.
Marty Clarke
Entertaining, but it was like watching batting practice. Or maybe the deleted scenes from a movie.
Kirsten
Feb 28, 2012 Kirsten rated it it was amazing
I already miss this book! I love Hockensmith!
Tor
Tor marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2016
Krissy Lee
Krissy Lee marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2016
Loriann
Loriann rated it really liked it
Sep 05, 2016
Krissy
Krissy marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2016
Lili
Lili marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2016
  • Schemers (Nameless Detective, #33)
  • The Ionia Sanction (The Athenian Mysteries, #2)
  • Dandy Gilver and a Bothersome Number of Corpses (Dandy Gilver, #7)
  • A Murder of Crows (Sir Robert Carey, #5)
  • The Sultan's Seal (Kamil Pasha, #1)
  • Nine Inches
  • The Snake Stone (Yashim the Eunuch, #2)
  • The Canary Trainer: From the Memoirs of John H. Watson, M.D.
  • Toros & Torsos
  • Irene At Large (Irene Adler, #3)
  • Sons of Texas
  • Good People
  • Old Gold
  • Made of Stone
  • Eye of the Cricket (Lew Griffin, #4)
  • The Storm Without
  • The Disappearance of Sherlock Holmes
  • Drink the Tea
Steve Hockensmith is the author of the New York Times bestseller Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: Dawn of the Dreadfuls and several other novels, including the Edgar Award finalist Holmes on the Range. He lives in Alameda, California.
More about Steve Hockensmith...

Holmes On the Range Mystery (6 books)
  • Holmes on the Range
  • On the Wrong Track
  • The Black Dove
  • The Crack in the Lens
  • World's Greatest Sleuth!