Start by marking “31 Days to Clean - Having a Martha House the Mary Way” as Want to Read:
31 Days to Clean - Having a Martha House the Mary Way

31 Days to Clean - Having a Martha House the Mary Way

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  239 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Journey with me for 31 Days as we get our homes and our hearts in order. Give me 31 days and I'll give you not only a cleaner home, but a vision for one.

I am not a natural when it comes to cleaning. In fact, sometimes I think my DNA is allergic to it! However, I know that if I am to care for my home, and more importantly my family, I need to persevere in creating a clean,

Published April 10th 2011

Be the first to ask a question about 31 Days to Clean - Having a Martha House the Mary Way

Amy
I started reading this book today and it is exactly what I need. The subtitle -- having a Martha house the Mary way -- told me exactly what I was getting. This is not a book for those who need a list of items to clean. It is a book for those who find it difficult to balance the workload of a home with the more important aspects of life. The tasks at the end of each chapter are not enough to clean the whole house, but they are a good beginning. The website has more info (including lists and calen ...more
Mandy J. Hoffman
MY REVIEW:

There are lots of books out there to help those who want a clean house, but I don't know of any others that break it down into such "bit-sized" bits for each day. I really appreciate and respect Sarah Mae's day-by-day approach to getting your home clean all the while keeping Christ at the center.

This book is balanced with helpful how-to hints and Biblical perspective for each day and the why behind what we do to keeping our home clean. 31 Days to Clean isn't about making you fit into
April
I thought the concept behind this book was a good one. Remembering the 'why' of what we do in our homes. I felt it could have used a bit of skilled writing behind the ideas (fewer uses of the word 'kiddos', for example).
This is more like a one month devotional calendar than a plan to get your house in order. If I only did the tasks listed at the end of each day, total chaos would reign!

I did get some great little gems and insights from the book and it was an overall enjoyable and quick read.
April
This was an interesting read. I do already do many of these things when trying to get the house picked up, or the "big" jobs done...(you know things you don't pay the 'cleaning lady' to do!) While my husband and I have established it's worth some of the things we give up to pay for someone to come in 2 times a month to clean...there is still the constant picking up that comes with being a SAHM with 3 kids. I think the main thing that struck me about this book...and stayed...was in the first seve ...more
Melissa
This book was pretty funny. Sarah Mae infuses the daily tasks with a lot of humor and quotes from scripture. Some of my favorite sections were about dealing with feeling guilty and having a welcoming home not a perfect home. At the end of the 31 days you will not have a designer magazine/Martha Steward home but a realistic clean and enticing home built to suite your families needs. If you are looking for a fun way to whip the house into shape without feeling totally Inadequate and hopeless in th ...more
Kristin Call
Bought and read it all in one day and am starting the challenges tomorrow. (I wanted to get an overview of what I was getting myself into!) I LOVE THE IDEAS IN THIS BOOK. I am so excited to try them out. Sarah validated every one of my hesitations and feelings towards cleaning. I love that she prods you to really find the deeper motivation to keeping a clean home. Worth every penny of the $5 it cost. I've convinced my sister to do the challenges with me. Here's to the next 31 days!
Marcia
The scriptures and intentional side of cleaning/ organising (it actually felt more like organising than cleaning to me) were great.

I wonder if people would feel like they got enough how-to though...

Also, a reminder why you have to proofread as I found about 3 - 5 spelling errors :)
Lyndsi
I borrowed this book through Lendle. It was not exactly what I was expecting but was not a bad book. This would be ideal to use as a devotional during a month long spring clean. However, it is not as helpful for your everyday cleaning tasks.
Amanda
Nothing really new or ground breaking.
Carlie
Sarah Mae has an intensely approachable style, which I love. This short devotional focuses on cleaning house, while keeping God at the centre of your motivation. Not only does she provide a daily 'Martha' cleaning challenge, but she also dares readers to spend time at the feet of Jesus, focusing internally on what the gospel is telling us about our lives and how our relationship with him is reflected in our homes.
Melissa
31 Days to Clean and being inspired by God's Word

This is a great book! Wow! Opens a person's eyes on daily tips of keeping an organized house. Also, how starting a person's morning off right is by spending it with the Lord.
I would recommend this book...to learn something... :)
Heidi Schaap
I gave this book 4-stars because I just love Sarah Mae - love her heart, her honesty, her humor. This is a good book for getting moving in the right direction toward a cleaner home, but after the book is done…you may have a vision for what you want, but not a plan…unless you start the book all over again. So maybe 5-stars for Sarah Mae and 2-stars for the process itself. Overall, I'd recommend it because of Sarah Mae.
Nichole
This book breaks down your household chores into tasks to complete each day to clean your entire house in 31 days. While that part of the book was very helpful, I felt it was lacking in suggestions on how to keep your house clean. That being said, this is great if you want to do a "spring cleaning" but don't know where to start.
Michelle Williams
I liked this book. Sarah Mae keeps everything short and sweet! I love that, if you follow her challenges, you get a clean home in 31 days. She also helps the reader discover a purpose to cleaning.
Heather Waters

The word kiddo has never been so grating or overused Couldn't finish this one sadly. Nothing new in it to keep me reading.
Jenn
I can't say I stayed on plan with this, but I did enjoy the honest approach and my house is nice and clean now. :-)
Ashley
This is a wonderful guide to finding the spiritual in the mundane tasks of homemaking.
Jill
Some good chapters and some that I found obnoxious, but overall some helpful ideas.
Christa
I actually read through this as a devotional.
Rebecca
Love the ideas in this book.
Farah Nasruddin
Farah Nasruddin marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
B.
B. marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2015
Julie Foret
Julie Foret marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2015
Whitney Werling
Whitney Werling marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
  • One Bite at a Time: 52 Projects for Making Life Simpler
  • Hope For The Weary Mom
  • Beautiful in God's Eyes
  • Better Basics for the Home: Simple Solutions for Less Toxic Living
  • Real Simple: The Organized Home
  • Simple Living - 30 days to less stuff and more life
  • Authentic Faith: The Power of a Fire-Tested Life
  • Get Organized! Your 12 Month Home Clutter Killer Guide : 2nd Edition (Revised) : Organizing The House, Decluttering And How To Clean Your Home To Perfection (Gleam Guru)
  • Houseworks: Cut the Clutter, Speed Your Cleaning, and Calm the Chaos
  • The Hour That Matters Most: The Surprising Power of the Family Meal
  • Minimalist Living: Decluttering for Joy, Health, and Creativity
  • The House That Cleans Itself: Creative Solutions for a Clean and Orderly House in Less Time Than You Can Imagine
  • The Good Wife's Guide: Embracing Your Role as a Help Meet
  • Tell Your Time: How To Manage Your Schedule So You Can Live Free
  • Say Goodbye to Whining, Complaining, and Bad Attitudes... in You and Your Kids
  • Sex Begins in the Kitchen: Creating Intimacy to Make Your Marriage Sizzle
  • Songs in the Key of Solomon: In the Word and In the Mood
  • Clutterfree with Kids
Sarah Mae (sarahmae.com), listed as one of The Christian Broadcasting Networks Six Women Leaders to Follow on Twitter, is an influential Christian blogger, conference host, and author of the bestselling eBook 31 Days to Clean.

Because of her drive to inspire women to hold fast to biblical ideals, Sarah Mae has established herself as a social media expert by cultivating blogs and websites that have
More about Sarah Mae...
Desperate: Hope for the Mom Who Needs to Breathe The UnWired Mom Frumps to Pumps How to Market and Sell Your eBook - Everything You Need to Know to Make Money with ePublishing Core Lies – Discovering and Dealing With the Lies We Don’t Even Know We Believe