Start by marking “Chloroform: The Quest for Oblivion” as Want to Read:
Chloroform: The Quest for Oblivion

Chloroform: The Quest for Oblivion

3.5 of 5 stars 3.50  ·  rating details  ·  30 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Right up until the 19th century, physicians and philosophers regarded sleep as a state of near-oblivion in which there was no mental activity, a kind of halfway stage between wakefulness and death. For the Victorians, therefore, when anaesthesia was first practised, it was commonly seen as traumatic--for doctors were being asked to induce a condition looked upon as partial ...more
Published February 1st 2005 by Sutton Publishing (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Chloroform, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chloroform

Beth Cato
My feelings on this book are mixed. It's not a bad book. It's not even dreadfully dull. But it also felt scattered in its approach and almost dizzying with the number of names it introduces, and didn't live up to my expectations.

Chloroform is a fascinating subject matter. It's a powerful anesthetic. It's a tool of rapists and murderers. I was intrigued by the early debates against chloroform, especially regarding its use in labor--that a woman should experience pain, because it's God's edict ag
^
I didn't know how little I knew about the history of chloroform (trichloromethane) as THE modus of anaesthesia in the nineteenth (and twentieth) centuries ... until I read this book.

The author cleverly teases her reader by first establishing the question of establishment of a safe dosage (and the progressive invention of medical devices to administer a known dosage) given the significant number of healthy patients who inexplicably died during the process of anaesthesia. The social and medical h
Meaghan
This started out well, but after a very detailed account of the first hundred or so years of chloroform use and all is pitfalls and controversies, it ended quite abruptly. It was around 1900 and then suddenly it was like, "So, this is the state of chloroform today..." It was like the author got tired of writing. I would have given the book four stars if it weren't for the hasty ending, which left me hanging.
Jasmine
I loved this book. It's very accessible without being over-vague. It's basically the history of the discovery and use of chloroform as an anaesthetic, and a little debunking of that old standby, "Does this smell like choloroform to you?" Pretty cool.
Douglas Fyfe
Great read. Excellent science history. Fascinating tales, although some a little oblique to the topic at hand. Would recommend for anyone interested in chemistry, history, and even a bit of detective-like intrigue!
R.H.
An essential addition to any history of surgery, anaesthesia, or pharmacy. Well-written and far more lively than its soporific subject matter.
Liz Brown
A fascinating and well-researched look at an interesting chapter in medical history
Leah
Leah marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2015
Anne-lie
Anne-lie marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2015
Tammy
Tammy marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
Darryl
Darryl marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
Hayley Nehoff
Hayley Nehoff marked it as to-read
May 31, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2014
Lucy Santos
Lucy Santos marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2014
Suzanne
Suzanne marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2014
Sarah Christopher
Sarah Christopher marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2014
Savannah Darling
Savannah Darling marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2014
Jce
Jce marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2013
Lindsey
Lindsey marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2013
Nicola
Nicola marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Linda Stratmann is a British writer of historical true crime, biography and crime fiction.
More about Linda Stratmann...
The Poisonous Seed (A Frances Doughty Mystery, #1) The Daughters of Gentlemen (A Frances Doughty Mystery, #2) A Case of Doubtful Death An Appetite for Murder Cruel Deeds and Dreadful Calamities: The Illustrated Police News 1864-1938