Start by marking “Westward Ho!” as Want to Read:
Westward Ho!

Westward Ho!

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  122 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Books for All Kinds of Readers ReadHowYouWant offers the widest selection of on-demand, accessible format editions on the market today. Our 7 different sizes of EasyRead are optimized by increasing the font size and spacing between the words and the letters. We partner with leading publishers around the globe. Our goal is to have accessible editions simultaneously released ...more
Published July 16th 2009 by ReadHowYouWant (first published 1855)

To ask other readers questions about Westward Ho!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Westward Ho!

h
read for my nation, empire, and literature class. an english bestseller. fascinating from an historical and sociological perspective. an obviously nationalistic book. it was fun to write a paper on, though. and it made my recent robin hood obsession suddenly relevant.
Wanda
Oct 05, 2014 Wanda marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
5 OCT 2014 -- by the author of Water Babies (a story I listened to on the BBC and appreciated enormously). I am certain to enjoy this one too.

Project Gutenberg for Westward Ho --

And because now you are curious about Water Babies --

Enjoy!
Sally
I'm no snob when it comes to old books, but the appeal of this one escapes me. Westward Ho! is the story of an Englishman, Amyas Leigh, who leaves his English town searching for maritime adventure and the chance to avenge a grudge. Kingsley completely avoids political correctness as he present the Spanish as beasts who care for nothing but themselves and their evil Papist religion. Amyas, having lost his brother and his true love to the Inquisition, chases a Spanish villain all over the world ho ...more
Raagavan Rants
It has every possible human emotion that I can relate to every part of my life, and at the right proportion. Truly a magic portion!
Erin Winslow
When I first read this in the 6th grade (in 1976) I absolutely LOVED it! The story had action, adventure, chivalry, a hopeless cause. . .what more could I want. After rereading the book in 2011 I can still enjoy it for the genre BUT it is so dripping with anti-catholicism, racism, and a colonial mentality that I could never recommend it to any kids! Take Westward Ho! for what it is: a 19th century writer's take on the 16th century. It is valuable as a primary source on 19th century popular liter ...more
Dave Turner
This is basically a sea adventure novel that turns into a vengeance story set against an fascinating time in history (spanish inquisition, the new world).

Written by a Church of England priest during the 19th century, there are times where this reads like simply anti-catholic propaganda, but if you can get past that, you'll be rewarded with a brilliant story, unique, clear characters and a wonderful history lesson.

Well worth the read, despite its faults.
Christofer Boeyink
I came across a chapter of this book in a collection of adventure stories in a book appropriately titled, "The Book of Adventure," and realized that I had Westward Ho on my shelf (found it in my parent's attic). Thoroughly anti-Catholic, yet if one can get past that, it is truly a great adventure book. I found it fascinating as it is a 19th century view of the 16th century. Any male Anglophile will love this book. Not about the American West like I assumed.
Ann
Read before traveling to the area from Illinois. Enjoyed the old story.
Scott Holmes
Swashbuckle from my childhood.
Medusa
Medusa marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2014
Joy
Joy is currently reading it
Nov 03, 2014
Terry
Terry marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2014
Samia Khan
Samia Khan marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2014
Barbara
Barbara marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2014
Michael Schiller
Michael Schiller marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2014
Malak Adny
Malak Adny marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2014
Laura marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2014
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2014
Celine
Celine marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Jason Cummins
Jason Cummins marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
Meri Victoria
Meri Victoria marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2014
Jill Mills
Jill Mills marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2014
Andd Becker
Andd Becker marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2014
  • The Scottish Chiefs
  • Mr. Midshipman Easy
  • Brothers at Arms: Treasure & Treachery in the Amazon
  • Under Drake's Flag: A Tale of the Spanish Main
  • The Adventures of Robin Hood: An English Legend
  • The Mousewife
  • The White Company
  • The Boy's King Arthur: Sir Thomas Malory's History of King Arthur and His Knights of the Round Table
  • Adoniram Judson: Bound for Burma (Christian Heroes: Then & Now)
  • The Man on a Donkey
  • Playmaker
  • Nightrunners of Bengal (The Story-Tellers)
  • The Corn King and the Spring Queen (The Hera Series)
  • The Last Days of Pompeii
  • New Treasure Seekers (Bastable Children, #3)
  • The Arabian Nights: Their Best Known Tales
  • White Fang (Fast Track Classics)
  • Goshawk Squadron
Charles Kingsley was an English clergyman, university professor, historian, and novelist, particularly associated with the West Country and north-east Hampshire.

He was educated at Helston Grammar School before studying at King's College London, and the University of Cambridge. Charles entered Magdalene College, Cambridge in 1838, and graduated in 1842. He chose to pursue a ministry in the church.

More about Charles Kingsley...
The Water Babies The Heroes, or, Greek Fairy Tales for My Children  Hypatia Alton Locke, Tailor and Poet: An Autobiography Hereward, the Last of the English