Start by marking “Vanity and Vexation: A Novel of Pride and Prejudice” as Want to Read:
Vanity and Vexation: A Novel of Pride and Prejudice

Vanity and Vexation: A Novel of Pride and Prejudice

3.11 of 5 stars 3.11  ·  rating details  ·  304 ratings  ·  48 reviews
"Tall, dark, and arrogantly handsome - not to mention distinguished, powerful, and rolling in money. Mr. Darcy? No, that's just the woman director of Pride and Prejudice," reports Nicholas Llewellyn Bevan, impoverished novelist and occasional (reluctant) journalist, when a TV production company trundles into his sleepy North Yorkshire valley. Amusedly Llew watches these gl ...more
Published July 1st 2005 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published January 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Vanity and Vexation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vanity and Vexation

Ivonne Rovira
Sometimes updated adaptations work wonderfully: Think of the film Clueless, a delightful update of Jane Austen’s Emma, or Helen Fielding’s Bridget Jones's Diary, a modern-day retelling of Austen’s Pride and Prejudice. But most of the time, the result is god-awful: Just consider the Ethan Hawke version of Hamlet or Baz Luhrman’s over-the-top gangster take on Romeo and Juliet. Yikes!

Kate Fenton, fortunately, falls in the former camp, not the latter. Like Fielding, Fenton retells the tale of proud
Meredith (Austenesque Reviews)
This was such a fun book to read. It is the story of "Pride and Prejudice" in our time period. So if you are looking for a book that carries on the Regency style period and Jane Austen's style of writing this is not it! I recommend this book to anyone who enjoyed watching or reading Bridget Jones's Diary. It is similar to BJD in the language mostly. One, the author uses profanity occasionally and Two, some words or phrases may be hard to understand if you are not British or in this case Welsh.

T
Wealhtheow
Pride and Prejudice in modern times with the genders switched. Could have been good; instead, it just sort of meandered.
Sandy D.
Witty, fun and very, very British novel about a novelist and the director of a remake of Pride & Prejudice. The story parallels are pretty damn clever, with the added bit that the sexes are reversed - the proud, controlling, and misunderstood character is the female, and the male is down to earth and charming. With very fine eyes.

And since it is set in the present and not the 19th century, there is some sex in addition to the letter writing and country dances.

The cover blurb says "frothy" at
Kristen
I would call this a Pride & Prejudice-"esque" book, as opposed to a sequel. It's set in present day, and the twist is that in this story the "Darcy" character is a woman, and the "Elizabeth" character is a man. It sounds weird, but it's actually pretty cleverly done.

This is more of an homage to the underlying themes from P&P rather than any direct connection to the original, but it's a fun romp, I liked the characters, and the story is enjoyable. A fast, light read, and if you're looking
Courtney Laperriere
Vanity and Vexation is a modernized, 278 page book, based on Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice. The author Kate Fenton used a clever and deceiving way to retell Austen's novel by changing the genders of the characters but having sharing characteristics and personalities. When I picked up the book I was aware of the gender role witches, but it was sill hard at first to pick up on which characters were matched with the ones in Pride and Prejudice. It was fun to try to figure out based on the story ...more
Lisa Murray
The trick to this book is to 'hold it loosely.' I was startled to be introduced to two men (rather than marriage seeking girls) on the first pages. Reality and the gender-bending recapitulation by Llew, the main character, blur WHAT EXACTLY HAPPENED. But this has all the fun of pride and prejudice with some interesting modern twists--even a couple quick jaunts overseas. If you want something fun and light with witty repartee and lots of Austen-esque characters, this is your book.
Angie
Slightly Naughty Modern day Pride and Prejudice with a twist. Roles were not totally obvious at first (probably because genders were reversed) which made it more interesting. If your not from the UK though, you might need a translator. A lot of regional slang is used. :)
Marsha
What happens when an independent film crew filming “Pride and Prejudice” comes to a small sleepy town? Pandelirium! Read along with the struggles of Mr. Nicholas Llewellyn Bevan as he tries to get his next novel published (he’s got to write it first but that’s a mere formality) and court the attentions of a famous director while striving to keep out of her romantic clutches.

See how many Austen references you can spot in this hilarious take-off from Jane Austen’s most familiar and popular novel
April
A lover of Jane Austen fan fiction the concept of gender role reversal appealed to me.

Mary Dance - Darcy
Nick - Lizzie Bennet
Nick's son Christopher - Lydia
Sasha Floyd - Wickham
Candia Mayhew - Bingley
John - Jane Bennet
Sarah - Mr. Bennet
Bernard - Mrs. Bennet

It was great fun trying to figure out which character was which. However, the fun for me stopped there. I wouldn't recommend this to young adult as there was smoking, references to drunkenness, a sex scene,and profanity. Perhaps it is the Brit
Angela
One of the better Jane Austen based books. It had some humor in it although some of the characters were a bit wimpy. The gender switching was a new and interesting twist.
Elizabeth Hernandez
Jun 09, 2008 Elizabeth Hernandez rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: P&P fans with a love of the brits
Recommended to Elizabeth by: The Corvallis Library
This book was nice read. A few twists and turns kept it lively enough and I liked that's it's British. I read it with the accents in my head =)

I like the premise...P&P with the genders switched (the "Lizzy" character is a welsh guy...etc). And that the main character is an author so he's writing a book with the same premise as the book he's in. It's a little crazy. Eventually you pick up and who everyone represents from Jane Austen's Pride & Prejudice and then the plot becomes pretty eas
Janisu-chan
I didn't know if I should give this book 2 or 3 stars. I really enjoyed the gender switch of characters from P&P, but could have done with quite a bit less of the vulgar language, 'modern' sexuality, and the British slang was hard to follow. I mean, how many times do you really have to insert the 'F'-word into a book? It looses it's shock value with so many repeats. But the story itself was fun to follow--to see how the author would incorporate the modern version of P&P. If you don't min ...more
Cheryl
I couldn't stick with this one to finish it. The idea of a gender-bending remake of P&P is interesting, but I think the fatal flaw in the book was that the two central characters--the Lizzie & Jane-alike males--were not much of interest. And maybe contemporary, small-town Britain lacks the romantic haze of Austen's day. I appreciated what she was trying to do, and I soldiered on through as much of it as I could, but the writer's crafting was too heavy-handed and artificial for my taste.
Jennifer Wilken
I couldn't get past the bad British slang and the plot not moving along. I just couldn't finish it.
Kathryn
A modern retelling of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice with gender reversal makes this an interesting read. It tried a little to hard to hit you over the head with the idea that it was Pride and Prejudice. The movie they are shooting in the town is P&P and the main character decides to write the novel he is starring in. I didn't find that part necessary and I think it would have been better without it it.
Qnpoohbear
A modern retelling of Pride and Prejudice. In the novel, BBC is remaking Pride and Prejudice and the locals and actors get mixed up in situations that parallel a novel. A twist halfway through really confused me. I could not like this book as much as I tried. I felt it was too contrived and that Pride and Prejudice just didn't work in that type of modern setting.

Dancer
This was a bit difficult at first due to the dialect used, but once that became commonplace, it was worth the reading. This is a Pride and Prejudice variation. Only in this one the female is a movie producer, and she's the Darcy character. The male is the a writer and is the Elizabeth character. It has some nice twists and turns.
Sandra
I just cannot get into this book. It just doesn't seem like anythign exciting is going to happen. The wording of this book is just harsh abd the characters are just not believable. I'm sure it's a personal thing for me as I hold some high standards for P&P variations as well as particular ways I need this book to be retold.
Jennifer Johnson
"With its interesting gender-bending twist, Vanity and Vexation earns three stars. The novel started strong with great parallels to Austen's original, but the ending felt rushed."

Read the rest of Inspired by Austen's review at http://inspiredbyausten.com/pride-and...
Leslie Hickman
Apr 25, 2009 Leslie Hickman rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who like Austen sequels!
This was an OUTSTANDING book. Very well written, well thought out and I just adored it. I liked how the characters sexes twisted from Austen's version from this being on the males version. Several times I could actually forget myself and think it was "real" and written by a man. LOVED it! TWO Thumbs up!
Autumnpaw♥
I was interested to read this modern-day twist of Pride and Prejudice but ended up very disappointed. There was plenty of swearing and I just couldn't like the main characters. I ended up just skipping to the end and reading the last page. I wouldn't recommend this book to anyone.
Danielle
I was excited to read this modern-day twist of Pride and Prejudice, but ended up very disappointed. There was plenty of swearing and I just couldn't like the main characters. I ended up skipping to the end and reading the last page. I wouldn't recommend this book to anyone.
Barbara
Variation making the Elizabeth Bennett character male and the Mr. Darcy character female. It works pretty well. Gave only 4 stars as the Mary Hamilton character is not as attractively described as I think is needed in this tale.
Abi
This was very clever - the reversal of the genders worked surprisingly well and the plot itself was well worked out and wasn't ridiculously forced. I think this is one of the better P&P adaptations that I've read.
Rachel
Aug 18, 2008 Rachel rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who want to laugh.
Seriously? the most wacked out version of Pride and Prejudice I've ever read, and that's saying something. Not only is the gender switched, but there's also a purposeless story-within-a-story thing happening.
Shawna
I haven't actually finished this book, but as much as I love the Pride and Prejudice premise, this variation was simply not compelling to me. I might finish it before it's due back at the library. We'll see.
Elizabeth
Originally published as Lions & Liquorice, I believe. There are so many updates of Pride & Prejudice, most of which are dreadful. But this is wonderful -- witty, romantic, believeable... I lurved it.
Brigid
It was light, fun and a quick read. About a third of the way through, there's a small plot twist that took me a minute to figure out, but it was well done and, ultimately, I quite enjoyed the book.
  • Excessively Diverted: The Sequel to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice
  • The Road to Pemberley: An Anthology of New Pride and Prejudice Stories
  • And This Our Life (Chronicles of the Darcy Family #1)
  • Mrs Darcy's Dilemma
  • Presumption: An Entertainment: A Sequel to Pride and Prejudice
  • Pemberley Shades: A Lightly Gothic Tale of Mr. and Mrs. Darcy
  • Emma & Knightley: The Sequel to Jane Austen's Emma
  • By Force of Instinct: A Pride & Prejudice Variation
  • Netherfield Park Revisited (The Pemberley Chronicles, #3)
  • A Marriage Worth The Earning: ~To Have And To Hold~
  • Darcy's Temptation: A Sequel to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice
  • Darcy on the Hudson: A Pride and Prejudice Re-imagining
  • The Darcys Give a Ball: A Gentle Joke, Jane Austen Style
  • More Letters from Pemberley: 1814-1819: A Further Continuation of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice
The Colours Of Snow Picking Up Too Many Godmothers Balancing On Air Dancing To The Pipers