Start by marking “The Twelve Days of Kindergarten: A Counting Book” as Want to Read:
The Twelve Days of Kindergarten: A Counting Book

The Twelve Days of Kindergarten: A Counting Book

3.73  ·  Rating Details  ·  83 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
A cumulative counting verse in which a child enumerates items in the kindergarten classroom, from the whole alphabet, A to Z, to 12 eggs for hatching.
Published August 1st 2003 by Harry N. Abrams

To ask other readers questions about The Twelve Days of Kindergarten, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Twelve Days of Kindergarten

The Kissing Hand by Audrey PennDavid Goes To School by David ShannonMiss Bindergarten Gets Ready for Kindergarten by Joseph SlatePete the Cat by Eric LitwinThe Night Before Kindergarten by Natasha Wing
Picture Books About Kindergarten
16th out of 105 books — 15 voters
The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack KeatsOwl Moon by Jane YolenThe Snowman by Raymond BriggsThe Mitten by Jan BrettHow the Grinch Stole Christmas! by Dr. Seuss
Winter Children's Books
124th out of 175 books — 52 voters

More lists with this book...

Laurie
Feb 16, 2015 Laurie rated it it was ok
Isabel Hernandez
Jun 23, 2011 Isabel Hernandez rated it it was amazing
Shelves: math-class
This book is a great introduction to counting. Not only does it address the nerves that come with being in school for the first time, but it makes connections to things that new kindergarten students are learning about. This book encourages them to count the things in their classroom, and it makes it engaging to read due to the rhythmic nature of the twelve days of Christmas song. I'm excited to read this book to my students in the first few weeks of school!
Nikki
Jan 10, 2015 Nikki rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
Cute book! A fun introduction to Kindergarten using the familiar 12 days of Christmas that makes counting fun. I couldn't help putting it to song for my girls. The 12 days of Christmas was always one of my favorites to sing during Christmas time so I really enjoyed this book. I also loved the cute and funny illustrations. I borrowed this from the library but I want to buy it for my girls.
Monchel Jones
Feb 28, 2012 Monchel Jones rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved the poetry book, "The Twelve Days of Kindergarten" because it has singing and repetition coming from the song, "The Twelve Days of Christmas. This poetry book was about A child's experience in entering kindergarten. The teacher in this story is very lovable and has the kindergarten students doing varies of activities. For example, On art day, a boy spills a big jar of green paint, one kid picks his nose in every scene, bees get loose from a display on a field trip, ect. The ag ...more
Kim T.
Apr 17, 2014 Kim T. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I...hahahaha...loved...hahahaha....this...hahahahaha...book! I don't know how anyone could give it less than five stars. It was hilarious and t-totally cute. Seriously! You have to see the pictures. The 12 Days of Christmas have nothing on this adorable book. Hahaha...
Rachael
Sep 19, 2014 Rachael rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
This would be a wonderful book to sing along to with Kindergartners. I like how the blonde girl in the classroom is holding the things the teacher gives to the class on each of the twelve days. I didn't catch this until the end of the book.
Naomi
May 07, 2015 Naomi rated it really liked it
OMGG this book is ADORABLE! What a cute intro to Kindergarten. Done in the 12 Days of Christmas, it talks about all the things kids learn in Kindergarten. Partner that with some really cute illustrations and you have a winner!
Vanessa Easley
Great for counting and a fun concept for students. Could Teach this to students as a song.
Drusilla
Sep 16, 2015 Drusilla rated it it was amazing
Great book for start of kindergarten.
Dolly
Jan 01, 2015 Dolly rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a great story to read/sing aloud to children. The narrative follows the song to The Twelve Days of Christmas and the illustrations are hilarious, with so many fun and educational activities and the teacher getting more and more harried as the days progress. We really enjoyed reading this book together and have borrowed it a few times from the library.
Tam
Jul 23, 2014 Tam rated it really liked it
Shelves: school
My 4-year-old loved this story (perhaps it helped that we sung it to the tune of "12 Days of Christmas"). It's a great teaching book. One page shows the classroom with all the letters along with a photo of what starts with that letter. It also has a poster hanging with labeled colors (pink pig, red ladybug, etc). For each "day", a child can count the objects. And there's always something fun going on in the photos.
Kristy Haight

Kindergarten Poetry.
American poetry.
Counting.

Illustrator: Armstrong-Ellis, Carey

Notes: A cumulative counting verse in which a child enumerates items in the kindergarten classroom, from the whole alphabet, A to Z, to twelve eggs for hatching.

Missy Kirtley
It's just the 12 days of Christmas, set to a Kindergarten theme. I wasn't really impressed with the writing. The illustrations were good, as it kept my nearly-three year old looking all over the page, exploring for all the hidden details. But really, it's so monotonous and boring that I don't think I'll read it with her again.
Kathryn
Jul 18, 2012 Kathryn rated it really liked it
Shelves: math
I loved the illustrations. They made the book quite entertaining! This was probably not the best book to begin to learn counting because the illustrations were distracting from the main idea, even though I loved the illustrations!! It might be pretty self-evident that the book is a take off on the the twelve days of Christmas.
Lde212_06
Nov 26, 2012 Lde212_06 rated it really liked it
This is a good book to read to students during the first week of school. It can help students to understand that their are going to be common routines established in the classroom. It also is a fun read aloud that the students can relate to since it's to the tune of a Christmas song.
Karen Arendt
Jul 14, 2010 Karen Arendt rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The pictures depict different scenes in a kindergarten classroom, everything from students picking their nose to a pulling on the teacher's skirt to get her attention. A great way to start out the school year in kindergarten and introduce some classroom rules.
Molly
Aug 16, 2010 Molly rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Big hit with my newbie kindergartener. He loved looking for the kids on each page. Should I be surprised that his favorite character was the nose picker? He laughed out loud at the escape attempts of the class hamsters. A nice choice to start of the school year.
Katy Houseman
This book would be great for the first days of kindergarten. It is a funny book that can be sung and has repition. Plus, it can be read or sung to the familiar tune, "The Twelve Days of Christmas". In addition, students can practice counting up to 12.
Tricia
Nov 15, 2009 Tricia rated it really liked it
can be sung...girls really enjoyed this book showing different things done at kindergarten and frankly, they enjoyed looking for the characters on each page repeating--specifically the boy with his finger up his nose.
Chris Schoettmer
Feb 26, 2013 Chris Schoettmer rated it really liked it
The book is a twist on the Christmas holiday song, “The Twelve Days of Christmas”.I really like the illustration in the book. I think that this book could help children with memory and counting.
Andrea
Nov 16, 2012 Andrea rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
Prob a 4-star book from the boys' perspective. I really liked the book...I just can't give it a 5-star bc of the illustrations of the boy with his finger up his nose on every page.
Rebekah
Jan 31, 2008 Rebekah rated it it was amazing
Read to the tune of "The twelve days of Christmas"! Very cute, watch for the nose picker and other types of children on each page.
Rebecca Dean
This is a very cute book. I would use this in my classroom while teaching number and counting. This book could even be read while singing!
Irene Chen
Mar 31, 2015 Irene Chen rated it liked it
Shelves: read-with-rp
ingenious idea, but in the pictures we cannot find all the clues of the items as chanted. A bit disappointed..
Joy
Joy rated it did not like it
Apr 22, 2016
Kelly Ward-smith
Kelly Ward-smith marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2016
Rida Desai
Rida Desai marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2016
Nina Torres
Nina Torres rated it it was amazing
Mar 13, 2016
Kaitlin Marshall
Kaitlin Marshall rated it liked it
Feb 18, 2016