Start by marking “UC_The Best Democracy Money Can Buy” as Want to Read:
UC_The Best Democracy Money Can Buy

UC_The Best Democracy Money Can Buy

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  2,617 ratings  ·  96 reviews
Investigative journalist Palast here collects his best work, which appeared in British and American publications. He exposes corruption worldwide, and his targets include the WTO, Jeb Bush and Katherine Harris, Tony Blair's administration, Exxon, Pfizer, Hillary Clinton, and the IMF.
Published (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about UC_The Best Democracy Money Can Buy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about UC_The Best Democracy Money Can Buy

Among other things you get great stuff from Palast as he exposes the election fraud during the 2000 Presidential election that ultimately decided the outcome of the race, the attached strings that come with IMF "bailouts", Pat Robertsons hypocritical money making scams, the CIA/Kissinger/Corporate engineered coup in Chile, Wal-Mart using Chinese prison slave labor while at the same time promoting themselves as a squeaky clean all American entity, the Exxon Valdez oil spill and clean up, the horr ...more
Patrick McCoy
The Best Democracy Money Can Buy by Greg Palast is a fascinating, eye-opening and disturbing collection of investigative journalism. Greg Palast is an investigative journalist, who is currently working for the BBC and The Guardian. He formerly worked fighting corporations with Labor Unions and consumer groups. He brings his investigative experience from these organizations to uncover greed, avarice, and injustice the world over. He is probably most well know for uncovering the voting shenanigans ...more
This was incredibly hard to find, in fact I had to special order it which I sure put me on a government list somewhere... well, okay, I sure it secured my position on that list.
JF William
Step one to really understand WTF is happening to America !

The end of democracy, cronies parade & general mayhem all wraped up in one awfull mess of ignorance and greed.

“Even a banana Republican would be distressed to discover how much of our nation’s treasury has been siphoned off by our vice president in the interest of his Cosa Nostra company, Halliburton, the lawless gang of mercenaries set loose by his administration in the Middle East. I have known for a long time that the media of the
Joe Walp
Palast takes seriously the investigative role of the (recently anemic) fourth estate. As a longtime reader of The Economist, I found the tales of corporate malfeasance and global finance raiding to be most useful, as counterexamples and caveates to that paper's (mostly laudible) market liberalization cheerleading.
I loved this book! I'm sure I'm on some government watch list because I bought it and am now recommending it to others, but Greg Palast is an amazing journalist. He lays out the truth about much of what goes on in government and big business. It is a very eye-opening read. (He's funny, too.)
Wendy Kobylarz-Chouvarda
He trashes the right, he trashes the liberals -- and all with a sense of humor and documented facts. Eye opening, depressing and funny.

Because what you think you know you realize is either just the tip of the iceberg, or just plain wrong.
La pointe de la sauce
A couple of weeks ago I was watching a session of the Joint Economic Comitee where Ben Bernanke (Chairman of the Fed. Reserve Board) was being grilled by Sen. Charles Schumer.

Schumer: It’s clear to me, and many experts agree, that China’s policy of keeping its currency pegged to the U.S. dollar helps to perpetrate the imbalances in the global economy by subsidizing even more Chinese exports at the cost of increasing American — increasing American exports. It makes us too much of a consumption co
Dec 21, 2008 Jonathan rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jonathan by: Matt Dehart
I really didn't know if I was going to be able to make it through this book. Matt my old co-worker at the day care gave it to me when I left staff. The first chapter is about the purging of voters from the roles in Florida in the 2000 election. Not only does it feel a little middle of the decade, the author's tone made me feel like I am being yelled at. And he has this odd practice of reprinting articles that he wrote at the time in the book: as if to say look how smart I was. I imagine it is li ...more
Leon M
Greg Palast's "The Best Democracy Money Can Buy" is a collection of the most important of his investigative reports about dozens of shocking events all around the world.

Palast writes about the "fixed vote in florida" that allegedly made George W. Bush president, as well as the secret deals of IMF, WTO and World Bank. The chapter about the "Lobbygate" scandal was most interesting, as well as the information about the lack of a "freedom of press" right in Great Britain.

Basically the message is t
James Hatton
What happened in the 2000 U.S. presidential election? How is it that the election even got so close that we ended up counting "hanging chads"? After the attempts by some to restrict voter access to the polls in the 2008 and 2012 presidential elections, it's worth looking back to the 2000 presidential election and reviewing what happened then. Read this book and judge for yourself.
Evan Grady
I really enjoyed this book. I always like to talk about the flaws in the system of government and how the rich get away with things and how injustice runs rampant in Washington. I like how the author gives all the details about what went down and how people work around the law to make a bunch of money illegally. These are our wonderful politicians at work.
Tariq Mahmood
This is a tough emotionally challenging book which dueled with all of my established and secure blocks my world stands on.

Democracy is the best system of governance.......
Corporations are successful due to all their collective hard work and customer focus.....
Western governments are not corrupt.........
Big Media always tells us the unedited truth......
Standing for ones right against authority is bad.........

I think the world need more Palasts to help us deal with our learned helplessness.

A solid collection of the products of Palast's career in investigative journalism. Eye-opening, sobering, frustrating, depressing - all adjectives that come to mind when trying to summarize this book. I especially appreciated the chapter focusing on globalization, the IMF, the World Bank, and the WTO.
It took me longer to read this book because I could only take a little bit of the ugliness reported at a time. While most of the stories are from the early 2000, I think they're still relevant for everyone to know. This was also written before the supreme court made it okay for corporations to legally contribute to campaigns. I'll definitely have to check out his new book Vulture's Picnic which I think came out last week which features Liberia. He acknowledges in the last chapter that others hav ...more
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Every chapter of this book left me feeling more and more depressed. I was happy to get to the next to the last page and read, 'I've got a stack of letters that read, "Your book is depressing." True, but only if you put your hands in your pockets, look at your shoes and whistle. You can shut the book and use the binding to scratch your nether parts or you can do something. Read, learn, join, holler, act. Sue something....If not, then don't come crying to me; I don't have time for the corporate ab ...more
Sara Human
الكتاب بشكل عام يفضح السياسة الداخلية للولايات المتحدة الأمريكية وتزويرها للانتخابات وقضايا متعلقة باقتصاد البلد ..وهو موجه للشعب الأمريكي
فيما يخص السياسة الخارجية فكلامه حول سياسات العولمة وصندوق النقد الدولي والضغط على الدول النامية بالابتزاز المالي وإعطاء القروض مقابل شروط اقتصادية مقيتة ..كلام مهم ينبغي علينا قراءته والبحث فيه ..إضافة إلى التآمر على الرئيس الفنزويلي المناهض للعولمة للإطاحة بهةبسبب رفضه للشروط المفروضة من قبل سياسة الهيمنة الأمريكية.

على كل الدول أن تنتفض بوجه حكامها الذين يوا
Greg Palast has a chip on his shoulders, as he should. The state of journalism in this country blows and nobody seems to give a damn. He writes about some real important overlooked stories, mostly aimed at the bush administration and the world bank. It's sad we live in a country where election fraud and rampant corruption at such high levels are overlooked. He writes with a subjective voice though which can get a little distacting at times. Otherwise it's a good read. Also it was about current e ...more
Alex Gleason
Some important subjects given a disappointingly slapdash treatment.
Paul Billy-Bong-Gong
"Dont let them lie to you", Greg wrote in my book. I hadnt even read it at that point. Was passing a lamp post, saw a sign and dropped inhibitions. Real informative lecture. BBC Newsnight and crew dropped by. So I drop everything; psychology degree, Rehab role, and girls. Great job done well. Sure i still hear lies, but i sense a lot more. What better that being here and knowing what goes on.

another influence; but what else can a book do but capture me in the moment... thats you who is being li
Greg Palast is a polemic journalist, which will lead some to dismiss the contents of this book as partisan nonsense. They shouldn't. Particularly with the Florida election in 2000, this tome contains the stories that should have been headline news but weren't. Infuriating at times, maddeningly subjective at others, this is nonetheless a tremendously important contemporary political work on all the things we ought to be reading in the papers but aren't.
Jim Grammond
This book is liberal propaganda, as I already knew going in. But the parts about Florida handing the election to Bush are pretty damning. The guy has actual documents in the book which show that the BS they pulled regarding felons likely cost Gore over 10,000 votes. He claims it's more than that, but it dooesn't even matter since Bush only won the state by about 500 votes. But ultimately, it doesn't matter because Gore was a crappy candidate.
Drew Pyke
Palast is/was pretty big in the UK doing features for the Guardian and BBC during the New Labour project. This book focuses on the US election rigging of 2000 and 2004 and domestic issues (like Waco and the artificial blackouts) as well as international topics such as the conditioning of loans by the "unholy trinity" of the IMF, WTO and World Bank. Well written, although the topics and themes might come across as endemic of its time
Deby Depreta
This book could have been written and edited much better than it was. I also wish the documentation would have been much more extensive. I guess my biggest gripe is that Palast overstates his bias; by presenting the factual data without the hand-wringing, his thesis would have been much stronger. Overall, though, the book is very much an eye-opener and lends credence to the broad accusations leveled at many public figures.
Read it and dispair. Here is the truth about economic liberalisation and a thorough exposure of the lies which go under the name of the Free Market. Basically the great unwashed have lost the struggle. We have been brought off with trinkets and cholera infected iMacs. The world belongs to the criminal elite who fill the boards of the multinationals and the rubber stamping chambers of parliaments and congresses.

Worthwhile. The information he gets and the in-depth reporting is very interesting and insightful. Eye-opening.

The thing is, his writing sucks. He goes for this over the top almost cheap way of putting things, probably so as to highlight the sleazy way government and buisness get into bed together, but I writhe whenever I read it.

Good for what it is, but not to be taken too seriously.
A few years too late and entirely disgusting (so far) in its content. Really spells out just how apathetic and sheep-pathetic we are as a country. Maybe, as my husband says, I do tend to get outraged about too much stuff. I just say I'm passionate. Maybe, if more people were passionate, things like Palast described wouldn't happen. I'm still reading so I'll let you know...
John Edvin
It's been awhile since I read this, and if I read this nowadays I might not be so generous with the stars - but this book truly opened my eyes to, first of all how Cheney stole the 2000 election, and also Exxon's crimes against Alaskan natives.
Investigative journalist Palast writes about the most odious conspiracies, with a sort of irony and wit you just gotta love!
I went to hear him give a lecture Houston, of all places. He said that because of the Freedom of Information Act, anyone can write the kind of books that he does. That was inspiring. It really was. Still, I'd rather just let him do all the spewing than try to write the kind of books he writes myself.
Kathie H
Aug 13, 2007 Kathie H rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: "Adults"
They impeached Bill Clinton because he had an affair & lied about it, & the Bushes & Dick Cheney & Karl Rove have bankrupted (financially & morally) my beloved United States & he's still in the Oval Office? You couldn't make this stuff up, folks. Pray without ceasing for January 20, 2009. I'm counting on you, HRC.
  • American Dynasty: Aristocracy, Fortune and the Politics of Deceit in the House of Bush
  • The Exception to the Rulers: Exposing Oily Politicians, War Profiteers, and the Media That Love Them
  • The Great Unraveling: Losing Our Way in the New Century
  • How Would a Patriot Act? Defending American Values from a President Run Amok
  • Blinded by the Right: The Conscience of an Ex-Conservative
  • Weapons of Mass Deception: The Uses of Propaganda in Bush's War on Iraq
  • Nemesis: The Last Days of the American Republic
  • What Liberal Media?: The Truth about Bias and the News
  • Unequal Protection: The Rise of Corporate Dominance and the Theft of Human Rights
  • The Hunting of the President: The Ten-Year Campaign to Destroy Bill and Hillary Clinton
  • Shrub: The Short but Happy Political Life of George W. Bush
  • Worse Than Watergate: The Secret Presidency of George W. Bush
  • The Lies of George W. Bush: Mastering the Politics of Deception
  • Reason: Why Liberals Will Win the Battle for America
  • House of Bush, House of Saud: The Secret Relationship Between the World's Two Most Powerful Dynasties
  • Smells Like Dead Elephants: Dispatches from a Rotting Empire
  • The New Rulers of the World
  • American Fascists: The Christian Right and the War on America
Greg Palast is the author of the New York Times bestsellers Billionaires and Ballot Bandits, Armed Madhouse and The Best Democracy Money Can Buy and the highly acclaimed Vultures' Picnic, named Book of the Year on BBC Newsnight Review.

Palast turned his skills to journalism after two decades as a top investigator of corporate fraud. Palast directed the U.S. government’s largest racketeering case in
More about Greg Palast...