Start by marking “Baby Geisha” as Want to Read:
Baby Geisha

Baby Geisha

"Half ingenuous and half wily, winningly hard to pin down. The result is a kind of everyday fantastic. Dalton nails the Walserian trick of evincing a sincerity nearly indistinguishable from irony. The effect is a poised instability, more uncanny than the magic the stories sometimes describe."
-Bookforum

"Dalton handles her narratives with a deft skill and a keen, distinct, c
Published January 16th 2012 by Two Dollar Radio (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Baby Geisha, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Baby Geisha

Mike Young
Mar 07, 2012 Mike Young rated it it was amazing
from NOÖ [14]:

Read this mostly waiting for buses in Baltimore. A man came up and said he was going to vomit. I told him there was a hospital up the street. He said “Yeah, there’s a CVS too and a motherfucking baseball stadi—” and then he vomited. Reading Baby Geisha is like meeting two people in bathing suits high on peyote at an In-And-Burger in Laurel Canyon, and you become best friends with them for one night until you realize they’ve been lying to you the whole time. These stories flip a pan
Lori
Aug 18, 2011 Lori rated it liked it
Review copy from publisher

Read 12/10/11 - 12/26/11
3 Stars - Recommended to established fans of Indie Short Stories / Not as an intro book to Two Dollar Radio
Pgs: 144
Publisher: Two Dollar Radio
Release Date: Jan 2012

As a fan of independent literature, I find myself interestingly torn when it comes to the indie short story collection. Not one to sway undecided on the boundary of love or hate, I tend to have extremely strong feelings one way or the other once I finish reading them.

Baby Geisha, of co
Tuck
Apr 16, 2012 Tuck rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories
such teasing sexy stories that slip away just as you think you see them, on to the next, and next. one group is even illustrated, in the set "the sad drag monologues". here is the first lines of the first story in that "the sad drag monologues", "small time spender":
"Ive noticed a new austerity floating around town like the ghost cocaine left behind. Austerity: eat the organic raw honey sparingly! Don't overdo that boutique goat cheese that roars at you like a lion from the fridge, Cheese up in
Ben Bush
I liked the story about Joan Didion-idolizing reporter on assignment communing with South American sloths that soothe humans.
Andrea Ta-wil
Sep 25, 2016 Andrea Ta-wil rated it really liked it
I gave this a 4 instead of a 5 because I didn't like the monologues at the end. I don't know why it just didn't do anything for me. But the short stories are stellar – quirky and humorous in some areas, grounded and heartbreaking in others.
Patrick Mcallaster
Sep 20, 2011 Patrick Mcallaster rated it liked it
(ARC review) Felt unfinished. Some of the sentence structure and word order made for difficult reading.

On the other hand, Dalton's scenes, characters, and concerns are compelling enough to keep things moving.

It's from Two Dollar. Their output is usually worth a look.
Nancy
Dec 21, 2012 Nancy rated it liked it
I love short stories but collections always vary widely in their appeal. Some of these stories were charming, funny and strange, and some just didn't hold my interest at all.
Amelia
Mar 08, 2016 Amelia rated it liked it
I found myself saying "What the fuck?" - aloud- while reading several of these stories. But sometimes you need that.
Brian
Feb 08, 2012 Brian rated it it was ok
Shelves: tao-lin
two stars sounds negative. but i really thought what the pop-up says when you hover over it: it was ok.
Janelle Gustafson
Janelle Gustafson rated it really liked it
Mar 17, 2012
Dana
Dana rated it liked it
Sep 26, 2012
Pamster
Pamster rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2012
Anne-Marie Kinney
Anne-Marie Kinney rated it it was amazing
Feb 28, 2012
Júlía
Júlía rated it liked it
Jul 04, 2012
Sirena
Sirena rated it really liked it
Oct 27, 2014
Leah Rials
Leah Rials rated it liked it
Apr 14, 2014
Jordyn
Jordyn rated it it was amazing
Nov 21, 2015
Ian Dingman
Ian Dingman rated it liked it
Jun 25, 2013
Mia
Mia rated it really liked it
May 13, 2014
Taylor Loftin
Taylor Loftin rated it it was amazing
Oct 03, 2016
Tom Carey
Tom Carey rated it liked it
May 24, 2013
45th Parallel Communications
45th Parallel Communications rated it really liked it
Sep 26, 2012
Jim Taone
Jim Taone rated it liked it
Dec 20, 2012
Chelsea Hoskisson
Chelsea Hoskisson rated it really liked it
May 14, 2013
Stina
Stina rated it really liked it
Jul 21, 2015
Wildwomble
Wildwomble rated it really liked it
Mar 06, 2012
Rebecca Tingley
Rebecca Tingley rated it liked it
Nov 29, 2015
Yani C
Yani C rated it liked it
May 05, 2015
Andrea
Andrea rated it it was ok
Jan 22, 2012