Start by marking “Uprooting Racism: How White People Can Work for Racial Justice” as Want to Read:
Uprooting Racism: How White People Can Work for Racial Justice

Uprooting Racism: How White People Can Work for Racial Justice

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  270 ratings  ·  36 reviews
In 2008 the United States elected its first black president, and recent polls show that only twenty-two percent of white people in the United States believe that racism is a major societal problem. On the surface, it may seem to be in decline. However, the evidence of discrimination persists throughout our society. Segregation and inequalities in education, housing, health ...more
Paperback, Third Edition, 352 pages
Published September 27th 2011 by New Society Publishers (first published November 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Uprooting Racism, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Uprooting Racism

Monica
This book was contradictory. I was offended and disappointed. As a "person of color" as the author would put it, I felt that the book tried to help white people learn how to work with and advocate for people of color but because the book was not written with any empathy it just ends up leading white people astray. If white people want to know how to work with people of color this book is NOT it. They should read a book written by those of color because they can navigate those who are willing. I ...more
Margot
I have very mixed feelings about this book. My biggest problem is that Kivel is racist. Which makes it difficult to swallow when he's shoving his "All whites are racist! You are racist!" message down your throat on the basis of his own racist, white upbringing. It's like he's bitter at the fact that he is subconsciously racist, despite his best efforts, but he makes himself feel better by telling everyone else that they're racist too. Well, I'm sorry Kivel, but when I see an African American man ...more
Rev. Sharon Wylie
This is one of just a few books written by a white person FOR white people in an effort to educate about white culture, institutionalized racism, and privilege in the United States. This is an important book for any white person who hopes to combat racism.

Published in 1996, some of the examples feel a little dated by now, and readers may need to wade through a certain amount of redundancy to get to Kivel's main points. But his sections on being an ally and fighting institutionalized racism give
ReGina
The concepts in this book are good, and I think the overall message is effective. However, it seriously annoyed me that the book takes the position that the reader is a clueless, white male (at least most of the time it's from a male perspective). I'm not white, and I know several white people who are aware of the privileges their race affords them. I appreciate the honesty in the book, just not the assumptions.
Christopher C
Pretty good book. Very easy to agree with his goals and the big picture he presents. Unfortunately, he occasionally makes a factual error (e.g., stating that California and Wyoming have the same number of Electoral College votes) that undermines his larger message.
Unwisely
This was actually my book club book for the month. It's an area I have a background in, but I liked the book - it dealt with not just race but the intersection of race, class, racism, gender, anti-Semitism. It's quite a bit to read in one go, but luckily it is broken up into sections of 2-7 pages, which are pretty easily digestible.

Even with my background in anti-racist, anti-sexist thought, this book taught me things, plus gave me ways to talk about things that I have had trouble articulating.
Matt
This book is like an enema for your mind. I like how Kivel focuses on systemic issues and challenged the reader to look at how racism infects every aspect of our lives.
He also does a good job of pointing out how White racism hurts White people and sprinkles it throughout the book.
The book has practical suggestions for each arena, although all of the suggestions put together feel overwhelming.
This was probably a bad book for me to read alone and the book even suggests talking to other White pe
Greg
Kivel presents an important and unpleasant argument that racism is a part of all of us regardless of whether we acknowledge it or not. While I greatly appreciate what this book has done for me in changing how I see institutionalized racism, the way Kivel presented his arguments is at times so generalized and flawed that I had a hard time taking his insights seriously. However, I will be ever changed by the points made in this book and I hope to become a more multiculturally aware ally.

Rocky
I guess I need to use another word to describe this book other than crucial. It's written in a really easy to read style but it took me a while to finish it because it really made me evaluate my life and how I perpetuate and benefit from white supremacy. He also offers strategies and suggestions for confronting racism both on a self/interpersonal level and on a systemic level. I would recommend it to all of the white folks in my life.
Patricia
The guide (maybe even The Guide) for white people wishing to examine their own racism. Also the guide for white people who are sure they are not racist, but are concerned about other people's racism. (Note: both of these groups most likely has some white privilege things to acknowledge.) Each chapter ends with discussion questions making this a very good book to use for a study group. Well written and recommended.
Korri
Kivel touches on many topics in an introductory way. It's not bad but it's basic. This is the kind if book I'd have my relatives read except they'd rightly (if for the wrong reasons) demand deeper analysis instead of generalizations. I'd recommend this for white folks who have not thought about systemic institutional racism at all but would also ask that they please read what people of color have to say.
Jeremy A
Launched some really valuable and illuminating discussions in a class I took while earning a graduate degree. Also gave me opportunties for some serious introspection as I continue the journey of dismantling negative aspects of my own socialization and try to equip myself to do my part to create an anti-racist society and world.
Lauren
This is an extremely well-organized, thoughtful, clear book on racism that should serve as an introduction for all white people unclear about the issues and what our part has been in them. Kivel also supplies action items to help anti-racist activists in their work. A must-read for anyone interested in social justice!
Carol
First I will admit that I did not completely finish the book. I was reading as part of an Urban Education grad school class. While I understood Kivel was making some significant points, the book could not hold my attention. I fell asleep reading it several times, and I felt the other text we had was more effective.
Maria S
Essential reading for any white person who believes in racial justice, especially if you feel even a bit defensive about being white. Good breakdown of understanding institutionalized racism, letting go of white "guilt" and becoming an anti-racist ally to people of color.
Amy Wilks
I had to read this book for a workshop I attended last weekend. I liked it, although I admit not having time to read it cover to cover. It was eye-opening in many ways, and I think the subject is something that everyone should ponder on occasion.
AJ
This book is not for the slight of heart. It is an "in-your-face" look at racism and ways to notice that its happening and how to combat. There are some shocking statements made that lead to just as shocking realizations.
Quinn
This book is a great resource. It provides a lot of food for thought. I find myself continually going back to this book to re-read its chapters. It's laid out in an acessable and easy to reference short chapter style.
Mrs.soule
This book was excellent - everyone should at least read his chapters on White Benefits, Middle Class Privilege and The Cost of Racism to White People. Inspiring and deeply thought-provoking as well as practical.
Callie
This book can be a useful tool. I feel like it kind of dumbs down the issue though. I prefer the book "Possessive Investment in Whiteness" I think people can understand and appreciate the depth of this issue.
Julie Ariano
Interesting, informative, and, for a white person such myself, helpful in deepening my understanding of issues surrounding whiteness and race, racism, and race relations. Easy to read and thought-provoking.
Allison
A great book for those first exploring race, privilege and oppression. There just wasn't enough time to talk about how complex racism is when coupled with other identities (ability, nationality, etc)
Sara
I think this is a great primer. I had some of my favorite white people read it and they were shocked and amazed. Unfortunately, some of the ideas in this book are new for many white people.
Courtney Ali
This book was a bit too simple for my interests. It would be great for someone just getting into topics of racism. It does have great suggestions and questions for discussion in it.
Thea
This book is actually intended for white folks, but I really loved it. It validated a lot of things I have felt for a long time but not really had language to express.
Halcyon Westall
More on systems and racism. We just can't hide from this. Change will come from not only individual work, but addressing societal imbalance of power.
Atena Oyadi
Nov 11, 2007 Atena Oyadi rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Excellent book on institutional racism - contains histories of relationships between white people and other groups, and breaks it all down. Good stuff.
Shane
Kivel's easy-to-understand and accessible book around privilege, oppression and racial justice makes this book not only a must read but a massive eye-opener!
Ajeng Puspitasari
Although it's a book written especially for white people... everybody should just read it for the sake of not-being-ignorant.
Christine Theberge Rafal
Accessible and compassionate, encouraging responsibility (as in response-ability), rather than blame...
  • White Privilege: Essential Readings on the Other Side of Racism
  • Memoir of a Race Traitor
  • The Heart of Whiteness: Confronting Race, Racism, and White Privilege
  • Racism without Racists: Color-Blind Racism and the Persistence of Racial Inequality in the United States
  • White Women, Race Matters: The Social Construction of Whiteness
  • The Possessive Investment In Whiteness
  • Medicine Stories: History, Culture and the Politics of Integrity
  • Speaking Treason Fluently: Anti-Racist Reflections From an Angry White Male
  • killing rage: Ending Racism
  • The Wages of Whiteness: Race and the Making of the American Working Class
  • The Invention of the White Race: Racial Oppression and Social Control (Volume 1) (Haymarket Series)
  • Learning to Be White: Money, Race, and God in America
  • Post Traumatic Slave Syndrome: America's Legacy of Enduring Injury and Healing
  • From a Native Daughter: Colonialism and Sovereignty in Hawai'i
  • Privilege, Power, and Difference
  • How the Irish Became White
  • Freedom Dreams: The Black Radical Imagination
  • How Jews Became White Folks and What That Says About Race in America
Men's Work: How to Stop the Violence That Tears Our Lives Apart You Call This a Democracy? Boys Will Be Men: Raising Our Sons for Courage, Caring & Community Living in the Shadow of the Cross: Understanding and Resisting the Power and Privilege of Christian Hegemony Making the Peace: A 15-Session Violence Prevention Curriculum for Young People