Start by marking “A Dissertation on God's Last End in the Creation of the World. by the Late President Edwards, A.M. Revised and Corrected by the REV. C. de Coetlogon” as Want to Read:

4.49 of 5 stars 4.49  ·  rating details  ·  78 ratings  ·  15 reviews
The 18th century was a wealth of knowledge, exploration and rapidly growing technology and expanding record-keeping made possible by advances in the printing press. In its determination to preserve the century of revolution, Gale initiated a revolution of its own: digitization of epic proportions to preserve these invaluable works in the largest archive of its kind. Now fo ...more
Published May 29th 2010 by Gale Ecco, Print Editions (first published 1765)

Be the first to ask a question about A Dissertation on God's Last End in the Creation of the World. by the Late President Edwards, A.M. Revised and Corrected by the REV. C. de Coetlogon

benebean
This was a lot more technical than I thought it would be. Honestly, I was sort of lost/bored/indifferent to a lot of the stuff after the beginning (I'm not a scholar). But it became much more meaningful and enjoyable when Edwards actually started listing the reasons God created the world along with numerous scripture references backing up his claims around chapter 2 section 4ish.

So for me the book is sort of like:
beginning: meh
middle: huh?
end: oooo!

I'm giving is 3 stars, but I suspect the ratin
Jeremy Egerer
Starts off with a beautiful treatise about the objects of human action, and ends with a good old-fashioned Scriptural bulldozing about how God created the world for His own glory.

If you've ever wondered how God could create a universe while in a state of absolute self-contentedness, or if you've ever wondered exactly what it *means* to glorify God -- or what good He gets out of it at all, being God -- then this book is a must-read.
Zachariah
May 13, 2009 Zachariah rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Christians
Recommended to Zachariah by: John Piper
(I read this in a complete works of Edwards series in my university library, so not this exact edition. Mine had tons of foot notes =] )
The first half of the work is going over the logic by which he proposes the Supreme Being would work (obviously the Christian God, but not necessarily so, at this point it is general). The second half brings in scripture, and Edwards goes through how scripture fits into his outline painted in the first section to display God's plan for the world. He wraps it up
Mike Conroy
Wow. What can I say? This book is filled with Scripture after Scripture after Scripture all showing that the chief end that God created the world for is the display of His own glory. Edwards, at times, is too philosophical and can impose systems of thoughts on the Bible rather than reading systems of thoughts from the Bible.

This book follows that pattern, but it’s right. The first half is all a philosophical look at motives, and ends or goals in people’s pursuits. And then he applies that thinki
Tom
What a beautifully written book, reminding us that God's glory is the highest good. While it could have been a bit more "devotional", this was still a soul-stirring reminder that we should strive to glorify God in all we do.
James Mc
One of the most beautiful and helpful books that I have ever read. Stunning. Hard work, though!
Josh
Very dense reasoning, but excellent.
Noel Burke
In summary, why did God make the world? For His glory. This world and all in it, though we may delight in many things is ultimately not for us. It is for the glory of God. After all, what is the chief end of man as the Westminster confession boasts? It is to glorify God and enjoy Him forever. A deep book and probably not a good one to listen to on audio-book. This one is for reading and going slowly.
Lindsay Kennedy
This work is so God-centered and it's contagious. This is the theology the church today needs! It's not an easy work to read, but it's contents are for all. I want to always be dwelling on the message of this book, so as to keep my life in the correct perspective.
Steve
Not this edition. This is solid Edwardsean stuff. I wonder if the answer to the objection if selfishness in God seeking His own glory may not be supplemented with the unfolding of intraTrinitarian relations? Ie mutual glorification and submission and love?
Jenkins
man, the grasp on God's holiness and glory is articulated so amazingly. this book helped me glimpse into the vastness and bigness of God.
Jeff Boettcher
Edwards can be difficult to wade through, but this is a seminal work on understanding God's purpose for himself and for us.
Brian
4th reading; also read 8/19/98 and the two times I read Piper's God's Passion for His Glory
Daniel Alvers
Edwards is just that guy I love reading his work.

David Harris
David Harris is currently reading it
Mar 13, 2015
Collin Flake
Collin Flake marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2015
Chuck Gibson
Chuck Gibson marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
Dillon Hill
Dillon Hill marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Ryan Lupardus
Ryan Lupardus is currently reading it
Dec 05, 2014
Jessica Hughes
Jessica Hughes is currently reading it
Nov 09, 2014
Aaron Munoz
Aaron Munoz marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2014
Noel Bass
Noel Bass marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the Goodreads database named Jonathan Edwards.

Jonathan Edwards was the most eminent American philosopher-theologian of his time, and a key figure in what has come to be called the First Great Awakening of the 1730s and 1740s.

The only son in a family of eleven children, he entered Yale in September, 1716 when he was not yet thirteen and graduated fou
More about Jonathan Edwards...
The Religious Affections Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God Freedom of the Will Jonathan Edwards' Resolutions: And Advice to Young Converts Charity & Its Fruits