Start by marking “Slugfest: A Dirty Business Mystery” as Want to Read:
Slugfest: A Dirty Business Mystery

Slugfest: A Dirty Business Mystery (Dirty Business Mystery #4)

3.53  ·  Rating Details  ·  214 Ratings  ·  50 Reviews
Anthony and Agatha Award-nominated Rosemary Harris is back with her fourth Dirty Business mystery, Slugfest, set at a legendary Northeast flower show where more than the plants are dying.

When Paula Holliday agrees to act as exhibit manager for a reclusive artist she’s expecting a laidback weekend picking up gardening tips.She doesn’t expect to be knee-deep in horticultural
Published April 12th 2011 by Minotaur Books (first published March 31st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Slugfest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Slugfest

Gerald Weaver
Oct 09, 2015 Gerald Weaver rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Slugfest Romps in Fields of the Classic Detectives.

I grew up reading Dashiell Hammett, Raymond Chandler and James M. Cain and of course Arthur Conan Doyle. I was a bit of snob about not even being able to read Ross Macdonald, Ruth Rendell, Earl Stanley Gardner or even Agatha Christie. My crime and detective writers had to have an edge, a literary bent, and be a bit cynical. Now, I have to admit Rosemary Harris into my pantheon of detective writers, while asking, “Where has she been all my life?”
Steve
Jun 18, 2012 Steve rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gardener and amateur sleuth Paula Holliday journeys to a New York flower show for what she thinks will be a restful weekend smiling at people and exhibiting the found art sculpture of a reclusive artist. Before the exhibition even opens, a security guard dies in an apparent tumble down an escalator. The next day, a young man who entrusted Paula with his backpack is found floating face down in the river.
Well, the more elaborate the garden, the more pests you have to overcome. This flower show h
Ellen
Aug 24, 2012 Ellen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-cozy, harris

Slugfest
~Chestnut Hill Books
(27)
The nitty gritty of a flower show, August 24, 2012
By Ellen Rappaport (Florida)
This review is from: Slugfest (Paperback)
"Slugfest" proves once sand for all that Rosemary Harris knows how to write and write well. This 4th in her dirty business series with adventuress Paula Holliday pulled out all the stops. From the get go the excitement never let up. The characters both new and the regulars we've grown to expect worked together as a team in following and se
Nora-adrienne
Mar 29, 2011 Nora-adrienne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozies, mystery
Slugfest
By: Rosemary Harris
Publisher: Minotaur Books
Copyright April 2011

Paula Holliday is doing a good deed. She’s agreed to help a friend by acting as Exhibit manager for a reclusive artist in her town. She’s headed for New York City and is expecting a laid back weekend, selling a few pieces of garden art at the show and maybe see some great sample garden displays while she has the chance.

Little did she know that she would be neck deep in horticultural sabotage, murder and something called The
Ruth Hill
Oct 05, 2012 Ruth Hill rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Once in a while, I read a mystery book that just does not capture my attention and imagination the way I hoped it would. I never see it as the author's fault--I just see it as one of those things. Unfortunately, this is such a book. No doubt it is well-written and has a good mystery story to it, but I found myself and outsider and uninvolved. I just could not connect with the story nor the characters.

The first problem is possibly the setting. I have virtually no interest in flower shows, so mayb
Suspense Magazine
Remember that old adage, “No good deed goes unpunished?” I wouldn’t blame Paula Holliday, the likeable protagonist in Rosemary Harris’ mystery, “Slugfest–The Flower Show Murders,” if she allowed that thought to fester in her brain for a while. Paula runs Dirty Business Garden Solutions in Springfield, Connecticut, and often hangs out at a local eatery called the Paradise Diner. As does an eccentric artist, Dunstan Primo who fashions imaginative garden sculptures out of leftover lawn furniture, a ...more
Ed
#4 in the Dirty Business Mysteries. Series protagonist, Paula Holliday takes a break from her normal Connecticut milieau to exhibit in the Big Apple Flower Show, held at the Wagner Center (surely a fictional stand-in for the Javits Center)in New York City.
The series is an interesting concept but time will tell if it has legs; in any event, the logical change of venue can only add to the life of the series.

Dirty Business Mysteries - Takes Paula Holliday Manhattan for the Big Apple Flower Show. He
Lisa
Oct 28, 2012 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It’s always a good thing to discover a new series that you really enjoy. A while back, I reviewed the third Dirty Business Mystery, Dead Head by Rosemary Harris, I immediately picked up the first book, Pushing Up Daisies and made sure to keep my eyes open for new installments in the Dirty Business series. I devoured Slugfest on my recent vacation.

Paula Holiday left New York City for the peace and quiet of small-town Connecticut. She opened a landscaping business and she’s getting by, making frie
Allison Collins
Jul 07, 2012 Allison Collins rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rosemary Harris hits another one out of the ballpark with "Slugfest."

“Slugfest”, the fourth in the Dirty Business Mysteries, opens with Paula Holliday back in her old stomping grounds of New York City. She is there to help a friend and reclusive artist from Springfield, CT by selling his artwork at a legendary Northeast flower show. Little does she know that the next four days will involve murder, mayhem, The Javits Curse, and a cast of diverse and zany characters.

I have been a fan of Rosemary
Marge
Jun 17, 2012 Marge rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the 4th book in the Paula Holliday gardening series. I have read the previous books and enjoy this refreshing mystery series.

This entry takes the reader behind the scenes at a top flower show. We are introduced to quirky exhibitors, fun and multi-dimensional exhibit hall staff and quite possibly a new love interest for Paula. The story unwinds at a pleasing pace, the murder does not happen at the beginning of the book which allows the reader to enjoy Paula and the show scene. As more cha
Kathy
Aug 05, 2012 Kathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Can you say a murder mystery is likeable, I wonder? Well, I guess I just did. This is the first Rosemary Harris I've read, and it does make me want to seek out her earlier novels. Brash, witty, and very fast paced, it is populated by an assortment of colorful characters. Since I do street outreach, the seeming runaway, his girlfriend, the kid trying to make good...well, they tugged at my heartstrings overmuch. And I think another mystery writer might have been more dismissive...you know the sort ...more
Lynn
Jul 18, 2011 Lynn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Paula Holliday has gone to New York City to the Flower Show. Babe, the diner owner and dear friend, has convinced her to show a friend's recycled found garden sculpture. The town "eccentric" is too shy to go himself and since Paula is a New York native it seems the perfect set up ... until bodies start piling up and Paula is knee deep in another adventure.

Paula is staying at her friend Lucy's apartment and has many experiences with that ... a downstairs neighbor and a peeping tom that gives fash
Louise Pledge
Jul 26, 2012 Louise Pledge rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the fourth in the Dirty Business Mystery Series and has the same clever and witty dialogue as the others. Paula Holliday. the heroine in the series was formerly a NY media exec, who has now turned to gardening, opening a business called... you guessed it, "Dirty Business".

In Slugfest, She's serving as an exhibit mgr to help a friend out at a large garden show at NYC's Wagner Center. While she expected this to be a great vacation, this is Paula Holliday we're talking about. Death and mys
Dee
Aug 06, 2014 Dee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I took a star away because I like the books better when Paula is at home in Springfield, CT with all the wacky folks there. The New York wackies are too wacky. Otherwise it was just as good a book as the first three.
Chi Dubinski
Jan 19, 2014 Chi Dubinski rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the fourth "Dirty Business mystery," landscaper Paula Holliday is in NYC for the Big Apple Garden show. She's agreed to man a booth for a sculptor friend, but when some of the exhibits are vandalized, students from a local high school are blamed. Along the way she befriends a mob wife with than overprotective husband and a security guard whose mission is to keep miscreants out of the show. Funny!
Jane C.
I couldn't really get into this one, maybe because there wasn't enough about the flower show & plants. (I've felt this way about so many cozy mysteries. There's just not enough content about its sub-genre, ie. garden mystery, bookstore mystery etc.) I skimmed so much of the book that I found myself not knowing what was going on. Backtracking didn't help.

I did really enjoy one exchange between two exhibitors. A Zen gardener tries to console a woman by saying 'Sometime plants die, it's a circl
Laurie
Sep 26, 2014 Laurie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Worth reading. I have enjoyed the series. They are all easy reading and the mystery is good and interesting. I give all her books so far a 3.5.
Marisa Young
Sep 23, 2015 Marisa Young rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At a NYC flower show, an exhibitor investigates mysterious accidents and wonders about the actions of her fellow exhibitors.
Susan
Jun 15, 2011 Susan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-new-york
Gardener Paula Holliday is back in New York, helping out a friend by selling his sculpture at the Big Apple Flower Show. Strange accidents seem to be plaguing the prestigious show, and Paula meets a number of people who are having problems with the show or with each other. There's a charming young man who's desperate to get a message to someone inside, a smart, tough security guard, a mobbed-up entrepreneur whose wife's veronicas died. Then the deaths start. The plot gets a little wonky at the e ...more
Donna
Jan 05, 2012 Donna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Slugfest (Dirty Business Mystery #4) by Rosemary Harris

I love a series and this one just keeps getting better. In Slugfest Paula Holliday is in NYC working a garden show for an artist friend of Babe’s. She doesn’t have her regular crew to help her when things start to go wrong. But she makes do with some new friends and Lucy. I suck at solving mysteries and this one was no exception. But it was fun watching Paula and pals figure it out.

I’ll definitely be looking for the next installment.
Dawn Cronk
I got the chance to read and review Rosemary Harris’s fourth book in the Dirty Business mystery series. I have to say this book was so fun, lots of silliness, and a cast of the most colorful characters ever. Paula Holliday returns to be in a flower show helping to man an exhibit booth. The shenanigans that happen are just hilarious. I had not read any of her previous books, but will be doing so very soon. I think this book would be a great read for the summer on the beach.
Becky H
May 27, 2011 Becky H rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just finished this book. I love that it was set outside of her little town and we got to meet new and different characters. Its a fun and fast read. I was able to finish it in one sitting. I don't know when her next book in this series is coming out but I will continue to read these books because I really like the main character and enjoy learning new things about gardening even though I am totally not a gardner. Other than that it was a fun read, good mystery and fun characters.
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
Our gardening sleuth, Paula Holliday is helping her artist friends out by manning an exhibit booth at the annual Big Apple Flower Show in New York City.

From the first setting up day, when a body is found on the escalator, to the last thrilling scene at the ending of the show, you will be breathless following the trail (a slug trail?) behind Paula. Why behind? Because, Ms. Harris knows how to keep us readers one step behind.

This was a very colorful and interesting novel.
Krisanne
May 06, 2013 Krisanne rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I am clearly out of sync with the rest of the readers, but this entry in the series did not really do much for me. The mystery seemed a bit confused and did not capture my interest as well as the others. The extra characters were unusual and chuckle worthy. However, if this was my first exposure to A Dirty Business mystery I am not sure I would read more.
Tricia
Sep 12, 2011 Tricia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked it. That pretty much sums it up. Paula is working a garden show for a friend we haven't met in previous books. It takes a long time to get to the mystery and realization that there has been foul play. So lots of build up of characters that were ok, not great, and nothing from my old favorites.
Caroline
May 17, 2011 Caroline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Rosemary Harris' Dirty Business mysteries! Paula is smart and funny and the situations in which she often finds herself are fascinating and sometimes dangerous. I always enjoy reading about these characters (and the gardening info) and hope that this series continues for a long, long time.
Debra Goldstein
Aug 24, 2012 Debra Goldstein rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Who knew being an exhibitor (or working around) at a gardening show could be this deadly and delightful? Rosemary Harris, in her witty funny style, has given us another excellent Paula Holliday mystery. Fast paced with well-developed characterization, Slugfest is a must read.
Jan
Oct 13, 2012 Jan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nicely done and a very enjoyable story. Harris introduces several new characters to keep Paula company at a Garden Show where she's showing garden sculpture for a reclusive artist. More than the plants wind up dying and Paula solves another mystery and makes several new friends.
Gretchen
Mar 16, 2012 Gretchen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This series is really growing on me. Paula is working a booth at a big flower and garden expo in NYC. Vandalism is occuring and people are ending up dead too. Paula's right in the midle of it. I kind of like her away from her hometown and usual friends.
Carol Waller
Aug 21, 2011 Carol Waller rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Like cotton candy for the brain. Just the thing after too many heavy books. Or maybe raspberry sorbet is more appropriate. Witty, warm with equal parts charm and attitude, this was the first in the series I read. And I thoroughly enjoyed it.
  • Death on Tour (Jocelyn Shore, #1)
  • The Lost Women of Lost Lake (Jane Lawless, #19)
  • Formula for Murder (A Maternal Instincts Mystery, #3)
  • Swift Edge (A Charlie Swift Mystery #2)
  • How to Party with a Killer Vampire (Party Planning, #4)
  • Angel Condemned (Beaufort & Company Mystery, #5)
  • Polished Off (Southern Beauty Shop, #2)
  • Dangerous Alterations (A Southern Sewing Circle, #5)
  • Well-Offed in Vermont (Pret’ Near Perfect Mystery #1)
  • Sweet Revenge (A Lady Arianna Regency Mystery, #1)
  • Force of Habit (Falcone & Driscoll Investigation, #1)
  • Cat Sitter Among the Pigeons (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery, #6)
  • Evil Genius
  • Headaches Can Be Murder
  • Make, Take, Murder (Kiki Lowenstein Scrap-n-Craft Mystery, #5)
  • Champagne: The Farewell: A Vengeance in the Vineyard Mystery
  • Beef Stolen-Off (A Clueless Cook Mystery, #2)
  • Town in a Lobster Stew (A Candy Holliday Mystery, #2)

ROSEMARY HARRIS has worked in marketing for Crown Publishers and American Express Travel Related Services and as a producer for Disney/ABC and WNET. She lives in New York City and Connecticut.

Series:
* Dirty Business Mystery
More about Rosemary Harris...

Dirty Business Mystery (5 books)
  • Pushing Up Daisies (Dirty Business, #1)
  • The Big Dirt Nap (Dirty Business, #2)
  • Dead Head (Dirty Business, #3)
  • Corpse Flower (Dirty Business Mystery, #2)