Start by marking “Sin” as Want to Read:

What would you do? Could you kill a killer? Does the death of one appease the deaths of a hundred? What about that hundred against a thousand?

What if you had no choice?

Meet Sin. No, not that sort of sin, but Sin, crazy as a loon (you ask Sister Moon), and proud of it. Sin locks himself away in a mental home and, every so often, gets violent. That’s only so they’ll give him
Published March 25th 2011 by Singularity Books (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Sin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sin

Divergent by Veronica RothCity of Bones by Cassandra ClareFifty Shades of Grey by E.L. JamesHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingGabriel's Inferno by Sylvain Reynard
Best Break Out
175th out of 2,016 books — 4,700 voters

More lists with this book...

Shaun Allan
May 07, 2015 Shaun Allan added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Mar 07, 2012 Jack rated it liked it
This novel is beautifully written with some wonderful psychotic/poetic prose. I thought the whole story was a little too flat for a full length novel though, perhaps because of the first person telling. I'll be looking out for more from the author in the future.
L.K. Watts
May 13, 2011 L.K. Watts rated it really liked it
I thought this book was excellent! Written in my favourite style of first person, I couldn't put it down.
Belinda Buchanan
Jul 04, 2011 Belinda Buchanan rated it really liked it
This isn’t my usual genre as I prefer romance/chick lit. But, I was intrigued after reading the summary of this book. The book starts off with the written ramblings of a psychiatric patient. The author leads us to believe he is insane. But as the story progressed, I found myself not so sure.
People do die around him. Did Sin cause their deaths? Can he tele-transport? Is there a sinister force following him causing this destruction? All these thoughts ran through my mind as I read.
The plot twists
Donna K Fitch
Jul 15, 2011 Donna K Fitch rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
Sin is an intriguing and enthralling story of a man who checks himself into a mental hospital because of his seeming ability to cause the deaths of those around him. The story is told from the point of view of Sin Matthews in a light and humorous tone that belies the increasing strange twists of fate in his life. Shaun Allan's prose is at the same time comfortable and lyrical. My favorite example was "The expanding pools of blood and oil, merging together like a ying-yang pictogram were just som ...more
Kim (Wistfulskimmies Book Reviews)
This is the story of Sin. A young man who checks himself into a psychiatric hospital because he can kill people just by thinking about it. He then tries to commit suicide by teleporting out of the hospital but he ends up on a beach somewhere. Not knowing what to do or where to go - he is visited by his dead sister. She has come to show him that all is not as it seems and is his doctor as benevolent as he first appears or does he have some skeletons in his closet?

This was a fantastic story. Writt
Miz Love
Aug 31, 2011 Miz Love rated it it was amazing
Insane, that’s what this book is, and I mean that it the nicest possible way. The first time I was treated to Sin’s point of view, I wondered if I had gone insane myself and muttered, “What the hell…?” He’s off-the-charts random, but there’s a very good reason for it. He’s in a mental institution—asked to be put in there himself—because he found a 2p coin that makes weird things happen. If he flips it, bad things occur. He didn’t realise it at first, but the more he flips it, the more bad things ...more
Alison DeLuca
Incredible book so far. Allen's style is amazing - be prepared to be pulled out of your seat and headlong into Sin's psyche. This psychological thriller / fantasy is quite unlike anything I've ever read before.
Sep 27, 2011 Donna rated it it was amazing
I've never been a fan of books written in the first person. I like to know what everyone is thinking, not just the main character. This book could not have been written any other way but in the first person. I did not like the character of Sin much at the beginning of the story. Slowly, over the course of many pages, I found myself sympathizing with him.
Several people have compared Shaun Allan to Alfred Hitchcock. I agree 100%. This is a psychological roller coaster ride that would hav
Alison DeLuca
I love urban fantasy and horror, so I knew that Sin would be a great read. And indeed it is. The action is nonstop, although much of it plays out in Sin's head. And believe me: that is a scary place to be.

It's not often that I read a book with a completely original character who lives and breathes; who comes alive. Sin is that character. The way he thinks, how he interacts with his dead sister, Joy, and the strange events surrounding a coin that Sin found and that completely changed his life.

Nov 27, 2011 Books rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
"Sin. That's my name, don't wear it out, as I used to say once upon a very long time ago." (excerpt)

When I received this book for review and read the blurb, I thought to myself that this sounds like it’s going to be a dark, disturbing read, exploring the mind of an “I-was-abused-as-a-child” sorry-ass psychopath. That was my very first impression of “Sin”. With trepidation, I sat down to read, preparing to wrestle my way through to the last chapter, (I mean really, who wants to read about a crazy
Rachel Tsoumbakos

Over the past few months, I have read several books that revolve around characters in mental institutions, Sin being the most recent. I found, right from the start, being sucked into the mechanics of Sin's world and, more importantly, his mind. He drags you along on a merry-go-round that runs not only round in circles, but sideways, backwards and upside down!

This novel, I found, was one that is not easy to categorise. It involves a main character who can kill people with the flip of a
Dean Lappi
Sin is a ground breaking novel by Shaun Allan that grabs the reader from the first page and never lets go. The main character is named Sin and he is quite insane, or is he?
Sin is probably one of the most unique characters I have ever had the pleasure of getting to know in a book.
This novel is very well written, engaging, quickly paced, and just plain fun to read.

I highly recommend it!
Dec 11, 2011 SATIN SUE rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Annette M Guerriero Nishimoto
Today’s review is on Sin by Sean Allen

Sin is the first book that I have read by Allen and it has been by far the most thrilling; for me, as I was a Mental Health Professional. This extraordinary tale into the life and mind of Sin Matthews had me inthralled throughout the pages. Unlike his sister Joy; who seems to bring joy to everyone, Sin brings death. Literally.

We have all seen it and perhaps have even done it. Picked up that solitary penny that you see on the sidewalk or the road. We may have
Jan 16, 2012 Bethica rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: couldnt-finish
Loop-oop-dee-doo it's too dumb to finish you. What a waste.
Jan 16, 2012 Debbie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When my new friend at work told me he was a writer I thought, “Yup. Sure. OK.” We all write don’t we, in one way or another. I’m forever helping my daughter with phrasing her uni assignments; composing personal and business letters to all and sundry; I’ve even written short items about ancestors for my family tree website.

To humour him (and because I was intrigued) I downloaded this book and started to read it. And carried on. And on.

Now I know what a “page-turner” is – and what they mean abou
Jan 23, 2012 C rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book opens with Sin's case report and a statement as written by Sin. This is an interesting opening to the story, as you find out that Sin purposely admitted himself into a mental institution. Flip. Catch.

The story seems almost disjointed at first, with the random thoughts Sin expresses. The story pulls you in, not willing to let you go until Sin's good and ready. As you meet the other characters in Sin's world, you begin to realize Sin's not as insane as he thinks himself to be. (Even if he
Vonda Norwood
Mar 22, 2012 Vonda Norwood rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Psychologically - thrilling ride!!! Took me where I did not expect it to. A murder mystery? Loved it!!! There I was gettin into Sin's obvious OCD head and never once did I fink he was going to end up behaving as rationally as he does. You can't predict this story as you enjoy reading along. And that's an automatic, much-loved, joy of mine!!! And I more than found it here with Shaun Allan's "Sin".
Mar 23, 2012 Andrewreilly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting concept. Well executed.
Home. Love. Books.
To read this review and more like it check out my site

First and foremost this book is pretty cool. The concept is pretty cool, and honestly I don't think you get the full picture of what kind of book you are getting yourself into until you start reading. It definitely wasn't what I was expecting, but I mean that in the best way possible.

The book is interesting from the very beginning, and you want to keep reading to find out more about not only the character Sin, but what he
Susanna Mahoney
Apr 13, 2012 Susanna Mahoney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This work is a surreal story describing the weird twist about a mental patient who voluntarily commits himself to a psychiatric facility to escape or stop his delusions under heavy medication. As the reader continues into the story the question to ask is he insane or actually san being manipulative by a dark evil doctor. The journey to insanity to sanity takes the reader for a wild ride; the humor excites the brain, because this author ingenious incorporates all sort of humor from dark to light ...more
Jun 17, 2012 Teresa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Welcome to Sin's mind.

Sin is a confused guy. He thinks he can kill people by tossing a coin...flip and catch...flip and catch. He is so sure of it, in fact, that he voluntarily enters a psychiatric hospital. As the story unravels through Sin's thoughts (first person) and his impression of what is happening, the reader is forced to wonder... Is he crazy? Did these things really happen? Is he dreaming? Or is it all the effect of the drugs he is flooded with on a daily basis?

As the story progresse
C.D. Sutherland
Sep 01, 2012 C.D. Sutherland rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shaun Allan gives you more than expected with this stream-of-consciousness onslaught of what initially appears to be the ramblings of an insane man, who insists he is really a sane man who has a little problem--he causes buses to crash into buildings, earthquakes to appear on the other side of the planet--all sorts of catastrophes small to large, communal to personal. How does he do it? Simple, it's all done with the flip of a boomerang two-pence coin, and he just wants it to stop. Stop it does ...more
Darreck Kirby
Jun 26, 2013 Darreck Kirby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting character to say the least. Very unique and quite strange. A little uncertain about the ending but I think that was by design.
Wendy Janes
Feb 17, 2014 Wendy Janes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sin shuts himself away in an asylum because he seems to have picked up a rather anti-social habit: people tend to die when they’re around him. He wants to know why. We all want to know why.

I saw the cover and thought – gorgeous. On reading the blurb I realized this book was very different to my usual reading genre, but the description was intriguing and that cover was calling, “Buy me, buy me.” I took a chance and bought the paperback.

I’m very glad I did. Reading this book is a little like exper
Lisa M. Green
Nov 21, 2014 Lisa M. Green rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've compared this to a cross between Stephen King, Doctor Who, and Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Lots of dark humor, with a writer's voice that shines through. A protagonist you can't help but like despite his...issues. Sin leaps off the page and captures your attention, holding you hostage for however long it takes you to finish. I'll be reading the second book, no question. I was honestly surprised at how much I enjoyed the book, considering I'm not a horror fan, but there is enough of th ...more
Brooke Dingwell
I loved this book SO. MUCH.
Sin's voice is the most unique voice I've ever read. He's so funny and he's so crazy. I've never had so much fun reading a book ever. There might not be much to the plot, but Sin's voice makes up for all of that. I could read him forever.
His thoughts are so dark and witty and I've fallen in love. 5 huge sparkling gold stars.
Hind H.
Jul 11, 2015 Hind H. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wattpad, e-books
At some parts I couldn't just follow, he would branch off the storyline and talk about many things. Regardless, it was a good read.
Gurmukh Sandhu
Oct 01, 2016 Gurmukh Sandhu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Smooth as silk...reading wise
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Announce/Brag/Sho...: 2500 hits! wow! 2 9 Aug 22, 2011 01:40PM
  • Black Numbers, Edition One
  • Emeline and the Mutants
  • The Awakening (Rebirth Trilogy, #1)
  • Losing Beauty
  • Beloved
  • Sand
  • Not Magic Enough (The Coming Storm, #3)
  • Brother, Betrayed
  • Theatre of Curious Acts
  • Last Kiss In Tiananmen Square
  • Inheritance (The Dark Gifts, #2)
  • Secrets
  • [sic]
  • The Last Good Knight (Billy's Revenge #1)
  • The Empire (The Empire #1)
  • Foreshadow (The Shadow Imperium, #1)
  • I Am Wolf (The Children of Nox, #1)
  • A Perfect Canvas
A writer of many prize winning short stories and poems, Shaun Allan has written for more years than he would perhaps care to remember. Having once run an online poetry and prose magazine, he has appeared on Sky television to debate, against a major literary agent, the pros and cons of internet publishing as opposed to the more traditional method

Many of his personal experiences and memories are wov
More about Shaun Allan...