Start by marking “Hugs from Pearl” as Want to Read:
Hugs from Pearl

Hugs from Pearl

This is Pearl.

Pearl loves to hug.

Hugs are nice . . . except when they come from a porcupine.

Pearl tries and tries to solve her problem and finally fixes it in her very own way.

From the author-artist of A Pet for Petunia comes a prickly new character with a great big heart. Paul Schmid paints Pearl’s world with soft and dreamy colors that reflect just how sweet she is benea
Published November 22nd 2011 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Hugs from Pearl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hugs from Pearl

Nov 06, 2012 Laura rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books

Pearl loves to hug, but hugs and cuddles from a porcupine can cause ow and ouches galore. With cuteness and ingenuity, Pearl sets out to solve the problem.

Very cute, warm tale that encourages persistence, creativity, and of course *hugs*.

Sure to make readers smile and “awwww”. :)
Bethany Boutin
May 14, 2014 Bethany Boutin rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
The simple pencil drawings stand out against pastel backgrounds, highlighting the cute expressions on the face of this beaming little porcupine who loves others and loves to hug. When Pearl realizes her quills are "ouchies" to others, she is truly saddened and tries very hard to change herself in order to stop hurting others. It is this selflessness and the emotional dilemma of this gentle creature that inspires readers to root for her to find a creative solution to the problem. (The only thing ...more
Baby Bookworm
Aug 12, 2016 Baby Bookworm rated it it was amazing
Shelves: our-reviews
Summer Reading Day 68: Our book today was the adorable Hugs From Pearl by Paul Schmid. In it, Pearl is a little porcupine who just loves to give hugs, and while her friends love her hugs, neither they nor Pearl can deny that they can be a little ouchey. So Pearl sets out to find a way to make her hugs less pointy so that she and her friends can enjoy them all the time.

I can’t begin to tell you how cute this book is. The pencil illustrations are absolutely precious, and Pearl’s story is just as s
Samuel Inskeep
Mar 29, 2015 Samuel Inskeep rated it really liked it
Pearl is a loveable, and kind porcupine who just loves hugging those she cares about. Unfortunately, Pearl is a porcupine, which means those who she hugs, end up getting poked by her quills… After thinking long and hard, Pearl figures out a way to hug her friends without hurting them - and more importantly, how to do so without changing who she is. A very interesting book. The artwork is very simple, with a “less is more” feel to it. Mostly done with what appears to be pencil drawn on a monotone ...more
Dec 30, 2011 Diane rated it liked it
Hugs From Pearl is a story for very young children. It's about a porcupine who is not happy with who she is, so she tries to change to please others. She loves to hug, but when she hugs her classmates at the Wildwood school, they always yell, "ouch" and end up needing a bandaid after each hug -- those quills hurt!

She tries long baths to soften her quills, she puts pin cushions on her quills, and nothing does the trick. One day she takes a special rose covered pillowcase of her moms, takes a pai
Jan 30, 2012 Tasha rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Pearl is a very friendly little porcupine, and one of her favorite things to do is give everyone hugs. But porcupines are prickly and Pearl’s hugs hurt! At first Pearl tried keeping Band-Aids handy after hugs, but she didn’t like to make her friends say “Ouch!” Then she tried pin cushions on her quills, but that took way too long and she couldn’t reach them all. Pearl tried a long hot bath, but her quills refused to soften. Pearl decided that she just couldn’t give hugs any more. But then she go ...more
Jan 21, 2012 Rakisha rated it really liked it
Every now and then I read a children's picture book that just makes squeal and go "awwwww" until the cows come home, and "Hugs from Pearl" by Paul Schmid is one such book. Pearl is a sweet little porcupine who shares, plays nice, and is the best friend to everyone. Her classmates love her. Pearl likes to give her friends hugs but that is hard to do because they get pricked by her quills. Although it hurts them, her friends and classmates accept the hugs without too much fuss because the teacher ...more
Kristin McIlhagga
May 20, 2012 Kristin McIlhagga rated it really liked it
Hugs From Pearl was on display in the children's room at our local (fabulous) East Lansing Public Library. It is a lovely story about Pearl the porcupine. Pearl loves being a friend, loves going to school, and LOVES giving hugs. Would you want a hug from a porcupine? Fortunately her teacher keeps a stock of band-aids and her friends are understanding, but Pearl is concerned that her hugs are ouchy for her friends. She decides to try some solutions to make her hugs a bit less ouchy. Schmid's illu ...more
Dec 12, 2011 Heather rated it liked it
Pearl is quite a cute little porcupine, but overall I felt like this book was just okay. The color scheme felt like a little TOO much pastel to me, although I did like the drawings. The story (even for a children's book) felt a little meandering and unmemorable. There were one or two slightly awkward phrasings ("Pearl was perhaps a little discouraged"), but for the most part the writing was fine.

Also, as the mom of a two and a half year old, I'm a little nervous about Pearl's solution - which in
Nov 26, 2011 Beverly rated it really liked it
Disclosure: I received a copy of this book from the Amazon Vine program in exchange for an honest review.

Hugs from Pearl by Paul Schmid

Summary: Pearl loves to hug. Hugs are nice, except when they come a porcupine. What's a friendly little porcupine to do?

What I liked about the book: Pearl is a resourceful little porcupine who works to find a solution to her problem rather than just whining about it. The illustrations are delightful.It is a quick easy read. Young children will enjoy the story and
Sep 28, 2015 Angie rated it liked it
I thought this was a very cute, short story that shows children that it is ok to be different,and sometimes you need to make adaptations for those differences, but people will still like you the way you are. A very entertaining read that will keep the attention of the younger readers.
Pamela (slytherpuff)
Aug 19, 2013 Pamela (slytherpuff) rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-books
Review originally posted at Bettering Me Up.

I didn't enjoy this book.

I'm pretty sure that the moral of the story is that you don't have to change who you are, but it lacked... something.

Pearl's friends may not like being stuck with Pearl's quills, but they're still her friends. So I don't understand Pearl's insistence that she has to cut her quills or soften them in order to reduce prickage*.

And when Pearl takes one of her mother's best pillowcases and cuts it up? I cringed. That is SO not the m
Ah--this was the gem of today's reading. I loved this. The illustrations were great and the story was, too. While the solution doesn't quite make sense, it's a happy world and I'm fine with making it make sense. My favorite part: "they were just a little ouchy." Ha ha!! I could totally read this in a preschool storytime. Maybe even a toddler one, though I'd have to think on that. School-age would enjoy it, too. And lap-reads and read-alouds would work great, too.

9/19/12 & 9/20/12: Perfect fo
Nov 18, 2015 Mary rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
An adorable porcupine who wants hugs finds a way to get them. Young listeners enjoy following Pearl's problem solving strategies.
Jun 14, 2015 Courtney rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
I really enjoyed this book. It's also a hit with the little ones. "Ouch! Thanks Pearl! Ouch!"
Linda Starr
Oct 27, 2014 Linda Starr rated it really liked it
Shelves: to-buy
4 stars just 'cause it was so cute, especially with those illustrations.
Debby Baumgartner
Pearl the porcupine loves to hug others but her quills hurt them. How will she solve this problem?
Dec 23, 2011 Beth rated it really liked it
There's nothing Pearl loves more than giving hugs to her classmates. But getting hugs from a porcupine is, well, a bit painful. Pearl's classmates still love getting hugs from her despite their prickliness, but Pearl is sad that her hugs are hurtful.

What's a porcupine to do? Pearl decides she must try to find a way to give out hugs without having to hear "OUCH!" every time.

I never thought a porcupine could be considered cuddly, but Paul Schmid manages to make me want to cuddle with Pearl. What
Peggy Tibbetts
Apr 09, 2012 Peggy Tibbetts rated it it was amazing
Pearl is a very friendly porcupine who loves to give hugs. But no one likes to get hugs from Pearl because they hurt. This makes Pearl sad. So she tries different ways to make her quills a little softer. Nothing works until she stops by to visit a rose bush one day and discovers the answer to her prickly hugs. Schmid’s simple and sweet pastel illustrations reveal Pearl’s softer side. Young children will enjoy watching Pearl solve her problem. Perhaps they will even be inspired to think of ways t ...more
The Brothers
Feb 04, 2016 The Brothers rated it really liked it
A cute story about a little porcupine who love to give hugs, but of course runs into problems because of her quills. She figures out a way she can indulge in her hobby without hurting others.

Very cute illustrations.
Jan 12, 2016 Jenny rated it really liked it
I want a hug from Pearl!
Apr 23, 2015 Alida rated it it was amazing
Lovely. Just lovely.
Apr 10, 2015 Trish rated it really liked it
Shelves: je, 2015
This is a really cute book.
Pearl is an affectionate little porcupine, and she feels bad that her hugs make her friends say, "Ouch! Thanks, Pearl! Ouch!" She brainstorms several ideas to make her hugs less ouch-y and takes a bit of a hint from a rosebush.

I like the way Pearl solves the problem herself, and that she doesn't give up after trying several ideas don't pan out. And her problem is sweet. This would be great to compare with "A Balloon for Isabel" by Deborah Underwood and Laura Rankin, where Isabel the porcupine r
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
A cute story about a little porcupine named Pearl who loves to give hugs. Pearl has a problem, she pokes anyone she hugs with her quills. But don't feel bad for this adorable character just yet. Pearl's on a quest to remedy her problem so she can give hugs to her friends, but you'll have to pick up Pearl's story in order to see if she's able to give hugs. To match this story's cuteness and are some adorable illustrations. I think this is a story young kids will enjoy.
Mel Raschke
Pearl the porcupine stars in this sweet-natured story about the hazards of hugging and she's also the source of its delightfulness. A visit to some similarly prickly rosebushes in the neighborhood leads Pearl to a solution that both pleases her and spares her classmate. Pearl's is a small-scale problem, but she surmounts it by herself, and readers have the reassuring sense that nothing awful will happen while she figures it out-at least nothing that a Band-Aid can't fix.
The illustrations are cute and I liked the idea behind this story, or at least what I'm assuming the idea is: to give kids inspiration for finding new and innovative ways to deal with problems. I'm not sure how educational it will be for kids, though, especially since Pearl did not ask her parents' permission before taking and cutting up one of her mom's special pillowcases. :-( This part of the story I really did not like. It is also the reason for my low rating.
May 16, 2012 Laura rated it really liked it
Pearl loves giving hugs! The problems is that sweet little Pearl is a pointy little porcupine. After injuring her friends too many times, she comes up with a brilliant solution to protect her friends from her quills.

Recommended for kindergarten and first grade. This book would be a great text to use with the Super3. Pearl makes a plan, puts it into action, and then tries it out.

I liked Pearl a lot! Maybe we'll see her in future books?
Feb 07, 2012 Jocelin rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
I loved this little book. It tells the story of a porcupine that loves to give her friends hugs. Of course, since she is a porcupine she has to be very careful. She is mindful of her quills and the pain that she could inflict on her friends. She finds a creative way to hug her friends. Pearl is such a little cutie and she shows such great concern for those around her. Loved her ingenuity and her heart. Recommended for children 6 and under.
Apr 22, 2013 Laura rated it really liked it
This book was super sweet. I liked Pearl and her generous personality. It was also neat to see her fix her dilemma. I was happy she could keep her friends and still give them hugs. The illustrations matched the story in that they had soft tones and alluded sweetness. I’d recommend - very cute!

*Taken from My Sentiments Exactly!:
  • I Don't Want to Be a Pea! (Hugo and Bella)
  • A Dog Is a Dog
  • Homer
  • A House in the Woods
  • Penguin and Pinecone
  • Bedtime for Bear
Paul Schmid is an author and illustrator of children's picture books.
He lives in Seattle with his wife, Linda, and their daughter, Anna. You can visit him online at
More about Paul Schmid...