Hugs from Pearl

Hugs from Pearl

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  291 ratings  ·  72 reviews
This is Pearl.

Pearl loves to hug.

Hugs are nice . . . except when they come from a porcupine.

Pearl tries and tries to solve her problem and finally fixes it in her very own way.

From the author-artist of A Pet for Petunia comes a prickly new character with a great big heart. Paul Schmid paints Pearl’s world with soft and dreamy colors that reflect just how sweet she is benea...more
Published November 22nd 2011 by HarperCollins

Oh, The Places You'll Go! by Dr. SeussMadeline by Ludwig BemelmansThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. SeussGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussIsh by Peter H. Reynolds
After School Club Books
74th out of 97 books — 7 voters
Bad Apple by Edward HemingwayBear and Bee by Sergio RuzzierSay Hello to Zorro! by Carter GoodrichLeonardo, the Terrible Monster by Mo WillemsBoy and Bot by Ame Dyckman
Friendship Storytime
16th out of 30 books — 10 voters

More lists with this book...

Pearl loves to hug, but hugs and cuddles from a porcupine can cause ow and ouches galore. With cuteness and ingenuity, Pearl sets out to solve the problem.

Very cute, warm tale that encourages persistence, creativity, and of course *hugs*.

Sure to make readers smile and “awwww”. :)
Diane
Hugs From Pearl is a story for very young children. It's about a porcupine who is not happy with who she is, so she tries to change to please others. She loves to hug, but when she hugs her classmates at the Wildwood school, they always yell, "ouch" and end up needing a bandaid after each hug -- those quills hurt!

She tries long baths to soften her quills, she puts pin cushions on her quills, and nothing does the trick. One day she takes a special rose covered pillowcase of her moms, takes a pai...more
Tasha
Pearl is a very friendly little porcupine, and one of her favorite things to do is give everyone hugs. But porcupines are prickly and Pearl’s hugs hurt! At first Pearl tried keeping Band-Aids handy after hugs, but she didn’t like to make her friends say “Ouch!” Then she tried pin cushions on her quills, but that took way too long and she couldn’t reach them all. Pearl tried a long hot bath, but her quills refused to soften. Pearl decided that she just couldn’t give hugs any more. But then she go...more
Rakisha
Every now and then I read a children's picture book that just makes squeal and go "awwwww" until the cows come home, and "Hugs from Pearl" by Paul Schmid is one such book. Pearl is a sweet little porcupine who shares, plays nice, and is the best friend to everyone. Her classmates love her. Pearl likes to give her friends hugs but that is hard to do because they get pricked by her quills. Although it hurts them, her friends and classmates accept the hugs without too much fuss because the teacher...more
Kristin McIlhagga
Hugs From Pearl was on display in the children's room at our local (fabulous) East Lansing Public Library. It is a lovely story about Pearl the porcupine. Pearl loves being a friend, loves going to school, and LOVES giving hugs. Would you want a hug from a porcupine? Fortunately her teacher keeps a stock of band-aids and her friends are understanding, but Pearl is concerned that her hugs are ouchy for her friends. She decides to try some solutions to make her hugs a bit less ouchy. Schmid's illu...more
Heather
Pearl is quite a cute little porcupine, but overall I felt like this book was just okay. The color scheme felt like a little TOO much pastel to me, although I did like the drawings. The story (even for a children's book) felt a little meandering and unmemorable. There were one or two slightly awkward phrasings ("Pearl was perhaps a little discouraged"), but for the most part the writing was fine.

Also, as the mom of a two and a half year old, I'm a little nervous about Pearl's solution - which in...more
Beverly
Disclosure: I received a copy of this book from the Amazon Vine program in exchange for an honest review.

Hugs from Pearl by Paul Schmid

Summary: Pearl loves to hug. Hugs are nice, except when they come a porcupine. What's a friendly little porcupine to do?

What I liked about the book: Pearl is a resourceful little porcupine who works to find a solution to her problem rather than just whining about it. The illustrations are delightful.It is a quick easy read. Young children will enjoy the story and...more
Pamela (slytherpuff)
Review originally posted at Bettering Me Up.

I didn't enjoy this book.

I'm pretty sure that the moral of the story is that you don't have to change who you are, but it lacked... something.

Pearl's friends may not like being stuck with Pearl's quills, but they're still her friends. So I don't understand Pearl's insistence that she has to cut her quills or soften them in order to reduce prickage*.

And when Pearl takes one of her mother's best pillowcases and cuts it up? I cringed. That is SO not the m...more
Heidi
Ah--this was the gem of today's reading. I loved this. The illustrations were great and the story was, too. While the solution doesn't quite make sense, it's a happy world and I'm fine with making it make sense. My favorite part: "they were just a little ouchy." Ha ha!! I could totally read this in a preschool storytime. Maybe even a toddler one, though I'd have to think on that. School-age would enjoy it, too. And lap-reads and read-alouds would work great, too.

9/19/12 & 9/20/12: Perfect fo...more
Beth
There's nothing Pearl loves more than giving hugs to her classmates. But getting hugs from a porcupine is, well, a bit painful. Pearl's classmates still love getting hugs from her despite their prickliness, but Pearl is sad that her hugs are hurtful.

What's a porcupine to do? Pearl decides she must try to find a way to give out hugs without having to hear "OUCH!" every time.

I never thought a porcupine could be considered cuddly, but Paul Schmid manages to make me want to cuddle with Pearl. What...more
Peggy Tibbetts
Pearl is a very friendly porcupine who loves to give hugs. But no one likes to get hugs from Pearl because they hurt. This makes Pearl sad. So she tries different ways to make her quills a little softer. Nothing works until she stops by to visit a rose bush one day and discovers the answer to her prickly hugs. Schmid’s simple and sweet pastel illustrations reveal Pearl’s softer side. Young children will enjoy watching Pearl solve her problem. Perhaps they will even be inspired to think of ways t...more
Kris
Pearl is an affectionate little porcupine, and she feels bad that her hugs make her friends say, "Ouch! Thanks, Pearl! Ouch!" She brainstorms several ideas to make her hugs less ouch-y and takes a bit of a hint from a rosebush.

I like the way Pearl solves the problem herself, and that she doesn't give up after trying several ideas don't pan out. And her problem is sweet. This would be great to compare with "A Balloon for Isabel" by Deborah Underwood and Laura Rankin, where Isabel the porcupine r...more
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
A cute story about a little porcupine named Pearl who loves to give hugs. Pearl has a problem, she pokes anyone she hugs with her quills. But don't feel bad for this adorable character just yet. Pearl's on a quest to remedy her problem so she can give hugs to her friends, but you'll have to pick up Pearl's story in order to see if she's able to give hugs. To match this story's cuteness and are some adorable illustrations. I think this is a story young kids will enjoy.
Mel Raschke
Pearl the porcupine stars in this sweet-natured story about the hazards of hugging and she's also the source of its delightfulness. A visit to some similarly prickly rosebushes in the neighborhood leads Pearl to a solution that both pleases her and spares her classmate. Pearl's is a small-scale problem, but she surmounts it by herself, and readers have the reassuring sense that nothing awful will happen while she figures it out-at least nothing that a Band-Aid can't fix.
Jen
The illustrations are cute and I liked the idea behind this story, or at least what I'm assuming the idea is: to give kids inspiration for finding new and innovative ways to deal with problems. I'm not sure how educational it will be for kids, though, especially since Pearl did not ask her parents' permission before taking and cutting up one of her mom's special pillowcases. :-( This part of the story I really did not like. It is also the reason for my low rating.
Pearl loves giving hugs! The problems is that sweet little Pearl is a pointy little porcupine. After injuring her friends too many times, she comes up with a brilliant solution to protect her friends from her quills.

Recommended for kindergarten and first grade. This book would be a great text to use with the Super3. Pearl makes a plan, puts it into action, and then tries it out.

I liked Pearl a lot! Maybe we'll see her in future books?
Jocelin
I loved this little book. It tells the story of a porcupine that loves to give her friends hugs. Of course, since she is a porcupine she has to be very careful. She is mindful of her quills and the pain that she could inflict on her friends. She finds a creative way to hug her friends. Pearl is such a little cutie and she shows such great concern for those around her. Loved her ingenuity and her heart. Recommended for children 6 and under.
Snorkle
This book was super sweet. I liked Pearl and her generous personality. It was also neat to see her fix her dilemma. I was happy she could keep her friends and still give them hugs. The illustrations matched the story in that they had soft tones and alluded sweetness. I’d recommend - very cute!

*Taken from My Sentiments Exactly!: http://reviewsatmse.blogspot.com/2013...
Mary
Karen Arendt
Cute story about a porcupine who likes to give hugs but gets discouraged when everyone says ouch (even though they like Pear and her hugs). Simple illustrations with a pale blue background portray Pearls expressions perfectly, particularly when her tongue juts out of her mouth while she tries to solve her problem. Great story about personal space and overcoming difficulties creatively.
Margaryta
This is THE MOST adorable picture book I have gotten my hands on. The art, the story, the genuine atmosphere in this. I'm gonna be reading this one every time I need a smile and a little pick-me-up - it's perfect for those kinds of things. Any adult or teenager would cherish this book because of how simple yet genuinely sweet it is, not to mention the beautiful artwork inside. I just loved it.
Melody
I loved the illustrations in this sweet, slight book. Pearl the porcupine has the slightest rosy blush, and her tiny face is so expressive that you want to hug her. Oh, wait! Hugging Pearl can be problematic, or so her classmates find out. What Pearl tries in order to make herself more huggable makes up the entire story here. Would be fun to read aloud, especially with a prickly child.
Emily
This book is so cute I might explode.
Sara Presnell
I absolutely LOVED Hugs from Pearl. Pearl is a sweet friendly porcupine who loves to give hugs. Everyone likes receiving hugs from Pearl but they are always quilly and prickly. She decides that she has to solve this problem and get creative. The way the book is written will make anyone fall in love with Pearl. I would say this would be appropriate for ages three to seven.
Kristin Waitkus
Great read aloud to help students get along and learn to accept one another for who they are. I like to read this story whenever I notice by students starting to argue with one another. Sometimes we will read it multiple times in one year, sometimes I will only read it once. Regardless each time I read the story I notice a change in my classroom dynamics instantly!
Angela
Who doesn't want a hug from a porcupine? Everyone! Friends try to be nice about it, but it's just too painful to accept such kindnessess. Luckily, Pearl is a creative thinker. When inspired, she can solve even the prickly problem of porcupine hugs! A charming story with unique, tender illustrations in a calm minty palate. Recommended for ages 3-4.
Mickey
Pearl is a sweet little girl who loves to give hugs. The problem is that she's also a porcupine. She's sad when she realizes that she can't hug her friends without hurting them, even though they say they don't mind. Inspiration strikes Pearl as she watches some bees in a garden and she comes up with a charming, creative solution to her problem!
Sandy Brehl
When a porcupine is in every sense a good friend, hugs are tolerated, even though they hurt. Pearl, being such a kind porcupine, doesn't want to hurt anyone and searches for ways to solve her problem. Resourceful character and very appealing images.
This could be paired with How DO You Hug A Porcupine, by Laurie Isop.
Shelli
Pearl loves to hug! She is a caring person and great friend to have. Her classmates always respond to her hugs, even though it hurts them to do so. One of the consequences to having a porcupine as a friend. Hurting her friends is contrary to what Pearl wishes, she has to get creative to resolve this problem.
Lorna
Gotta love Pearl! She's sweet and friendly, but also prickly. Her friends are very accepting of her despite this little problem, which is such a great message to share with kids. I love how she problem solves around the prickly issue so that she can do what she loves best--share her love with her friends!
  • I Don't Want to Be a Pea! (Hugo and Bella)
  • A Dog Is a Dog
  • Ribbit!
  • Prudence Wants a Pet
  • The Christmas Quiet Book
  • Silly Doggy!
Paul Schmid is an author and illustrator of children's picture books.
He lives in Seattle with his wife, Linda, and their daughter, Anna. You can visit him online at www.paulschmidbooks.com.
More about Paul Schmid...
A Pet for Petunia Perfectly Percy Oliver and his Alligator Petunia Goes Wild Oliver and his Egg