Start by marking “Honey Bee Hobbyist: The Care and Keeping of Bees” as Want to Read:
Honey Bee Hobbyist: The Care and Keeping of Bees

Honey Bee Hobbyist: The Care and Keeping of Bees

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  23 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Bee keeping isn't just for the professional farmer?bees can be kept in any situation from the simple backyard patio and garden to large expanses of farm land. This comprehensive and attractive beekeeping guide, from Hobby Farm Press, the same people who bring you Hobby Farms and Hobby Farm Home magazine, Beekeeping takes readers from finding their bees, housing them, colle...more
Published April 1st 2011 by Hobby Farm Press (first published November 23rd 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Honey Bee Hobbyist, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Honey Bee Hobbyist

Emily Mellow
This book is great, but I have to say it kind of left me wanting to read beekeeping for dummies, and I hate those books, but I almost want the info simplified. This book goes into so much detail, it is the embodiment of all I don't know about beekeeping. And I know it's not a book-learning kind of thing. We are totally inexperienced and, after reading this book, now I am intimidated. Of course David said if you have a mentor it's easy. We're ready to get started, but it's a lot of work. Maybe wh...more
Laura Gilfillan
I've always wanted to know about beekeeping, and I found this book a fascinating and entertaining read. It was really interesting to learn about the bees' life cycle, why they swarm, and how beekeeper's manage a hive in order to get honey. I'd like to see it in action sometime, but I can see that beekeeping is a lot of work, and something you have to experience in order to learn how to do well. But I already suspected that. I really loved the great pictures in this book too.
I bought this book after reading an article in the newspaper. I'm currently getting back into keeping a few chickens and thought I might enjoy trying something new. I feel a little discouraged after reading the first couple chapters. I can see that this project will take more than I can get from a book, but I am still hopeful that I may read this book slowly over the winter and see how I feel once spring gets closer. I also plan to visit a beekeeping store.
Arminzerella
Norman Gary has been working bees (and studying them) for over 60 years and this book he has written for the honey bee hobbyist offers a lot of valuable tips for folks who are just getting started keeping bees. He shares both a wealth of information (without scaring readers off) and his sense of humor (there are some very quotable moments in this book). Sharp photographs and detailed illustrations enhance the text. A good overview.
Jason Houx
my first intro book to bee keeping - certainly a good book to get you going on the lingo to bee keeping more to follow so seeing how this is my first deep read i'm not sure how to rate it. lots of pictures to help visualize the topic and understand where to go for further reading.
Chelsea
Very helpful book for a starting beekeeper. The author is a little bit corny at times in his attempt to add humor to a non-fiction book but the information is easy to understand with plenty of photos for you to review before checking your hive.
Mckinley
Great layout packs lots of information from biology to keeping. Helpful and well done.
Russ Biaggi
This book has some great information on beekeeping for new hobbyists.
Laura marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
Moufid
Moufid is currently reading it
Apr 14, 2014
Megan W
Megan W marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2014
Jess Zerr
Jess Zerr marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2013
Joan
Joan marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2013
Erica
Erica marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2013
Sonny
Sonny added it
Sep 14, 2014
Katie
Katie added it
Feb 03, 2013
Yazmin
Yazmin marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2012
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2012