Start by marking “Hangman (Special X, #8)” as Want to Read:
Hangman  (Special X, #8)

Hangman (Special X #8)

The game begins in Seattle, where a hanged woman is found with one leg missing. Then, in Vancouver, a corpse is found with both legs missing. The clue that binds these horrific crimes together is a game of "Hangman" crudely drawn at each location--painted in the victim's blood.

The victims, it seems, were jurors on a controversial case years ago, in which a man was sentence
Mass Market Paperback, 352 pages
Published May 9th 2001 by Signet (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Hangman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hangman

Erin
Jul 31, 2013 Erin rated it it was ok
I had a really hard time rating this book. On the one hand, it was a compelling mystery. On the other, it was (as another reviewer noted) written at times like a textbook about the history of hanging (and the Canadian court of law). This could be partly because Michael Slade is actually the pen name of a father-daughter writing team, so the lack of consistency between writing styles could be related to who wrote which characters.

I'm willing to overlook all that for the sake of an otherwise good
Mike
Mar 05, 2010 Mike rated it it was ok
2 Stars for this one. Really did not like the time jumping: "tonight", "16 days ago", "tonight", "2 weeks ago", etc. Hard to follow and keep characters aligned. Written by two people, father and daughter, and it shows. An excellent history of hanging, primarily in the English legal system but some in the American. Some interesting background on word origins: "toe the line", "red herring", etc. Very anti-capital punishment, much on the Canadian legal system, comparisons of US and Canadian law. se ...more
Nancy
Jan 28, 2016 Nancy rated it it was ok
Didn't like the way the story jumped around. I found it hard to keep track of who was where and when...
Pat
May 22, 2013 Pat rated it it was ok
Basically, the writing style frustrated me. I made it about halfway through and gave up.
Kristina
Feb 19, 2017 Kristina rated it liked it
Shelves: own
3.8 stars [Not a 4 because of the slow start. More than 3.5 because of how quickly I became interested once it picked up for me]

This book started out so slow for me, honestly. The storyline sounded interesting and I wanted to get as anti-Valentine's Day as I could, so I grabbed the closest book on my TBR list. I was reading what I assume was a 2000 paperback copy, so the print was really small and took some getting used to. For the first hundred pages or so, I found my attention straying. Somewh
Mark
Feb 07, 2011 Mark rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2011, thriller
I thought this book was trying to do two things at once; 1) Tell a story about a serial killer and 2) Give the readers a history lesson on Hanging. To me this didn't work and I found the story was written very oddly because of this. I think some of the scenes were written very well but the back cover says "This revivals Stephen King." and "Would make De Sade wince." Reading those made me laugh because I've read nearly all of De Sades works and I don't think he'd bother with a single page of this ...more
Gypsykat
Oct 20, 2013 Gypsykat rated it liked it
Shelves: crime-mystery
A good crime story in its own right for sure, but it wasn't Michael Slade! The style was totally different, part of it even written in first person! Lots of jokes & puns and places that actually made me groan & shake my head... nominal gore... Like i said, a cool crime novel, but it wasn't the HORROR-Crime that it usually is. If i wanted this, i'd read Dean Koontz.

I wonder if the daughter part of the re-formed Slade duo was the one who did most of the writing this time. It was just too
Teresa
Jul 30, 2013 Teresa rated it it was ok
I finished reading Hangman more out of curiosity. I needed to know who the "real" hangman was! Getting to that last page was more work than I care to go through when I am reading for enjoyment. There was A LOT of unnecessary detail in this book. I learned more about hanging than anyone really needs to know in order to enjoy this book. Many details were repeated, again without necessity. Michael Slade is intelligent and has done his research. His characters are real and believable. It just took t ...more
Karen Magill
Feb 12, 2012 Karen Magill rated it it was amazing
This book kept me on the edge of my seat! A serial killer is crossing the Canada/US border and killing victims in both countries. What connection do the victims have with each other?

Set in Vancouver and Seattle, Hangman kept me guessing and when the killer was finally revealed it was a surprise. Slade is a master and planting misleading clues that make the reader think he or she has the plot figured out when in fact they don't.

Calli
Aug 18, 2012 Calli rated it it was amazing
Definitely not a book for those with weak stomachs, but an AWESOME read nonetheless.

Unfortunately, one can't really review this book without giving spoilers but I have to say it's a must-read for horror and crime fans.
Courtney Torres
Mar 10, 2011 Courtney Torres rated it it was amazing
Very well written!
Loved poping from one person to the other, city to city...never knowing who was the killer and then hoping it wasn't who they were hinting at!
The ending is totally a suprise!
Loved it! Loved it! Loved it!
Gevera Bert
Jul 25, 2009 Gevera Bert rated it liked it
This wasn't a bad book, but I could not get into it. Too many similar characters doing similar things made it hard to keep track of who was who and after a while I just didn't care. The end came totally out of left field and was rather disappointing.
Ed
Nov 28, 2016 Ed rated it it was ok
Like all Slade books, this is gory and contains a lot of history. The problem here is that most of the story is a history of hangmen. There are an awful lot of rabbit trails in this one. The story is okay, but I would not go out of my way to find and read this one.
Jeff Dickison
Apr 22, 2016 Jeff Dickison rated it it was ok
Not really a good book. It is violent, often just for violence sake. The twist ending just ruins the whole book as the good guys become murderers, suicidal murderers, and murder victims. Why bother writing a book if that is what you do to your good guys? Not recommended.
Ronald
Jan 16, 2014 Ronald rated it really liked it
This was very good. A few shocks and surprises. Very gory killings and an interesting method/reason behind the killings. Will be reading more by this author. A fast read, also. And you get a history of hangings and hangmen throughout. Highly recommended to those who like mysteries.
Jara Eunice
Oct 17, 2012 Jara Eunice rated it really liked it
It was good, kept me hooked.

I recommend it to anyone who's a fan of crime/mystery.
Patrick
Jan 23, 2008 Patrick rated it did not like it
Michael Slade is the alias for a father/daughter writing team specializing in violent, gory detective thrillers. I casually liked this, but unfortunately not enough to actually finish it.
Jaret
Oct 16, 2010 Jaret rated it really liked it
very exciting psychological thiller
Zaraliyana Adijaya
Feb 17, 2011 Zaraliyana Adijaya rated it it was amazing
Shelves: zaza
I want to read it again & again ♥ I love the drama & the suspicion ♥ Who ever thought !
Tim Potter
Aug 04, 2015 Tim Potter rated it it was ok
This was the first of the series I read. Having read the prior installments I believe I would have found in more compelling and the characters more developed.
William Thomas
Jul 19, 2008 William Thomas rated it it was ok
just some junk to read in between good reads. actually, the other book i read by thrm was better, it was called bed of nails and much more sadistic, much more brutal.
Taylor
May 17, 2012 Taylor rated it it was amazing
Great psychological thriller. I will definitely have to re-read this book.
Nan
Sep 15, 2013 Nan added it
Didn't finish it. Too many "coincidences" to be believable.
Brian
Feb 09, 2016 Brian rated it it was amazing
Bought this for a vacation read. Was great. Haven't been able to find anymore of the novels by this father-daughter duo.
Brian Sammons
May 25, 2012 Brian Sammons rated it really liked it
Not a bad addition to the Slade mythology/universe. A bit of a throw back to his earlier, better books. Not as good as Headhunter, Ghoul, or Ripper, but still an enjoyable read.
Mii
Jul 26, 2014 Mii rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned-books
This book is a great read!
Ryan Bailey
Apr 09, 2013 Ryan Bailey rated it liked it
Pretty good. I don't read much fiction but I read this one while in the hospital.
Barbara ★
This is the first book I've read in this series and it'll be the last. Though I liked the plot and the surprise ending, the execution was irritating. Too much like a textbook - preachy and teachy.
Denzel Ruiz
Jul 24, 2015 Denzel Ruiz rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: crime fans
Recommended to Denzel by: no one
Fantastic read depicts the crimes quite gruesomely also, you never know who the murder is at the plot twists like 3 times.
Sandra
Sandra rated it it was ok
Dec 12, 2011
  • Sleeper Cell
  • The Bone Parade
  • Midnight Rain
  • Final Vector
  • Conversations with the Devil
  • The World on Blood
  • State of Decay (Revivors, #1)
  • Blackfly Season (John Cardinal and Lise Delorme Mystery, #3)
  • The German
  • The Select
  • Silent Screams
  • Suspicion
  • Compulsion (Frank Clevenger, #3)
  • Dracula's Brood: Neglected Vampire Classics
  • Fat White Vampire Blues (Fat White Vampire, #1)
  • Total Silence
  • The Devil's Peak (Devil's Deep, #2)
  • The First Victim (Boldt/Matthews, #6)

Slade on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MountieNoir

Slade on Twitter: https://twitter.com/MountieNoir

Criminal lawyer MICHAEL SLADE has acted in over one hundred murder cases. His specialty is the law of insanity. He argued the last death penalty case in Canada’s highest court.

Backed by his forensic experience, Slade’s Special X and Wyatt Rook thrillers fuse the genres of police and legal proce
More about Michael Slade...

Special X (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Headhunter Reimagined (Special X Thrillers)
  • Ghoul  (Special X, #2)
  • Cutthroat  (Special X, #3)
  • Ripper  (Special X, #4)
  • Evil Eye  (Special X, #5)
  • Burnt Bones  (Special X, #7)
  • Death's Door  (Special X, #9)
  • Bed Of Nails  (Special X, #10)
  • Swastika  (Special X, #11)
  • Kamikaze  (Special X, #12)