Start by marking “Hangman (Special X, #8)” as Want to Read:
Hangman  (Special X, #8)

Hangman (Special X #8)

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  361 ratings  ·  19 reviews
A killer turns the child's game of hangman into a nightmare of escalating horror after his first two victims are discovered in Seattle and Vancouver. "A psycho to end all psychos. Makes Hannibal seem like an Oxford don". ("The Vancouver Sun").
Mass Market Paperback, 352 pages
Published May 9th 2001 by Signet (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Hangman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hangman

The Wide Game by Michael  WestCinema of Shadows by Michael  WestPoseidon’s Children by Michael  WestSpook House by Michael  WestGone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Five Star Faves
47th out of 61 books — 9 voters
61 Hours by Lee ChildAnd Then There Were None by Agatha ChristieMystic River by Dennis LehaneThe Alienist by Caleb CarrThe Onion Field by Joseph Wambaugh
Great Crime and Mysteries
50th out of 98 books — 46 voters

More lists with this book...

Pat
Basically, the writing style frustrated me. I made it about halfway through and gave up.
Erin
I had a really hard time rating this book. On the one hand, it was a compelling mystery. On the other, it was (as another reviewer noted) written at times like a textbook about the history of hanging (and the Canadian court of law). This could be partly because Michael Slade is actually the pen name of a father-daughter writing team, so the lack of consistency between writing styles could be related to who wrote which characters.

I'm willing to overlook all that for the sake of an otherwise good
Mark
I thought this book was trying to do two things at once; 1) Tell a story about a serial killer and 2) Give the readers a history lesson on Hanging. To me this didn't work and I found the story was written very oddly because of this. I think some of the scenes were written very well but the back cover says "This revivals Stephen King." and "Would make De Sade wince." Reading those made me laugh because I've read nearly all of De Sades works and I don't think he'd bother with a single page of this ...more
Gypsykat
A good crime story in its own right for sure, but it wasn't Michael Slade! The style was totally different, part of it even written in first person! Lots of jokes & puns and places that actually made me groan & shake my head... nominal gore... Like i said, a cool crime novel, but it wasn't the HORROR-Crime that it usually is. If i wanted this, i'd read Dean Koontz.

I wonder if the daughter part of the re-formed Slade duo was the one who did most of the writing this time. It was just too
Teresa
I finished reading Hangman more out of curiosity. I needed to know who the "real" hangman was! Getting to that last page was more work than I care to go through when I am reading for enjoyment. There was A LOT of unnecessary detail in this book. I learned more about hanging than anyone really needs to know in order to enjoy this book. Many details were repeated, again without necessity. Michael Slade is intelligent and has done his research. His characters are real and believable. It just took t ...more
Karen Magill
This book kept me on the edge of my seat! A serial killer is crossing the Canada/US border and killing victims in both countries. What connection do the victims have with each other?

Set in Vancouver and Seattle, Hangman kept me guessing and when the killer was finally revealed it was a surprise. Slade is a master and planting misleading clues that make the reader think he or she has the plot figured out when in fact they don't.

Ronald
This was very good. A few shocks and surprises. Very gory killings and an interesting method/reason behind the killings. Will be reading more by this author. A fast read, also. And you get a history of hangings and hangmen throughout. Highly recommended to those who like mysteries.
Gevera Bert
This wasn't a bad book, but I could not get into it. Too many similar characters doing similar things made it hard to keep track of who was who and after a while I just didn't care. The end came totally out of left field and was rather disappointing.
Courtney Torres
Very well written!
Loved poping from one person to the other, city to city...never knowing who was the killer and then hoping it wasn't who they were hinting at!
The ending is totally a suprise!
Loved it! Loved it! Loved it!
Calli
Definitely not a book for those with weak stomachs, but an AWESOME read nonetheless.

Unfortunately, one can't really review this book without giving spoilers but I have to say it's a must-read for horror and crime fans.
Patrick
Michael Slade is the alias for a father/daughter writing team specializing in violent, gory detective thrillers. I casually liked this, but unfortunately not enough to actually finish it.
Brian Sammons
Not a bad addition to the Slade mythology/universe. A bit of a throw back to his earlier, better books. Not as good as Headhunter, Ghoul, or Ripper, but still an enjoyable read.
William Thomas
just some junk to read in between good reads. actually, the other book i read by thrm was better, it was called bed of nails and much more sadistic, much more brutal.
Quincess Za
I want to read it again & again ♥ I love the drama & the suspicion ♥ Who ever thought !
Ryan Bailey
Pretty good. I don't read much fiction but I read this one while in the hospital.
Jara Eunice
It was good, kept me hooked.

I recommend it to anyone who's a fan of crime/mystery.
Taylor
Great psychological thriller. I will definitely have to re-read this book.
Nan
Sep 15, 2013 Nan added it
Didn't finish it. Too many "coincidences" to be believable.
Jaret
very exciting psychological thiller
Rich
Rich marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2014
Alex Maclean
Alex Maclean marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2014
Rebecca Kennedy
Rebecca Kennedy marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2014
Kyle Kimberley
Kyle Kimberley marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
Jennilynn
Jennilynn marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
  • Sleeper Cell
  • Body Work
  • Bad Games: Hellbent - A Dark Psychological Thriller (Bad Games Series, #3)
  • Blackfly Season
  • Bloody Bank Heist
  • Halloweenland
  • City of Ice
  • State of Decay (Revivors, #1)
  • Pushed (Held, #2)
  • Moon
  • Magic Terror

Slade on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MountieNoir

Slade on Twitter: https://twitter.com/MountieNoir

Criminal lawyer MICHAEL SLADE has acted in over one hundred murder cases. His specialty is the law of insanity. He argued the last death penalty case in Canada’s highest court. Backed by his forensic experience, Slade’s Special X and Wyatt Rook thrillers fuse the genres of police and legal proce
More about Michael Slade...
Headhunter  (Special X, #1) Ghoul  (Special X, #2) Ripper  (Special X, #4) Cutthroat  (Special X, #3) Burnt Bones  (Special X, #7)