Start by marking “Pemberley” as Want to Read:
Pemberley

Pemberley

2.43  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,021 Ratings  ·  183 Reviews
As Jane Austen's beloved novel Pride and Prejudice comes to a close, Elizabeth Bennet proudly announces her engagement to Mr. Darcy, boasting, "We are to be the happiest couple in the world." But after the nuptials, can a marriage between two people as strong-willed as Elizabeth and Darcy survive? With all the wit and style of Jane Austen, Emma Tennant brilliantly imagines ...more
Published August 8th 2006 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Pemberley, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pemberley

Kressel Housman
Jun 23, 2008 Kressel Housman rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: nobody
Shelves: fiction, austenesque
It is a truth universally acknowledged that a fan in search of a good sequel can safely skip anything by Emma Tennant. She gets the language pretty well (except for "must needs," which I never read anywhere in JA) and she puts in a few melt-worthy Darcy/Lizzy scenes, but the overall plot annoyed me, particularly with the insinuation about Bingley, which was just a foil to raise Lizzy's suspicions against Darcy. So as I said, Jane Austen fans, skip this one. You'll find better sequels in the wide ...more
Julie
Feb 28, 2009 Julie rated it did not like it
I honestly am shocked that any publishing company actually published this. I think Jane Austen, herself, would despise Emma Tennant's idea of what Elizabeth Bennet Darcy was like after a year of marriage with Mr. Darcy.

The book was not true to the characters that Jane Austen created in Pride and Prejudice. Even as far as slandering poor Mr. Bingley, that is if a fiction character can be slandered.

The story was ridiculous. Elizabeth was weak minded, insecure, and foolish. The story was not belie
Chelsea
Sep 21, 2007 Chelsea rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one
Painfully boring. I was literally unable to finish this book. I got to the scene where Elizabeth throws an out-of-character hissy fit and runs off into the rain, disappearing on the grounds of Pemberley. Darcy's a mess, and they send people out searching for her. And it's quite literally the most boring "dramatic" passage I have read in my life. I don't care how big an Austen or Pride and Prejudice fan you are, don't subject yourself to this.
Lynn
Jan 11, 2014 Lynn rated it did not like it
This was one of the 1st P&P sequels I read many years ago. I recently gave it a reread to see if it was as bad as I remembered. It was. I was going to go for a 3rd read for the P&P challenge, but just couldn't do it.

The biggest problem with Pemberley is the "wimpification" of Elizabeth. Emma Tennant has the woman who said "There is a stubbornness about me that never can bear to be frightened at the will of others. My courage always rises with every attempt to intimidate me;" for whom "t
Georgiana 1792
Feb 15, 2013 Georgiana 1792 rated it did not like it
Caccia alla Magagna

Come al solito, non sono una persona che si scandalizza davanti ad un sequel o ad uno spin-off. L’autrice può inventare quello che le pare, purché cerchi di restare quanto più fedele possibile a Jane Austen. Però esigo che l’autrice sia preparata, che conosca l’argomento di cui tratta in modo che non si possano cogliere imprecisioni.
Ed effettivamente questo sequel non è peggio di tanti altri dal punto di vista delle invenzioni, con Mrs Bennet, ormai vedova con un pretendente (
Kortney
Nov 27, 2007 Kortney rated it did not like it
Shelves: jane-jane-jane
I read this story not long after reading "Pride & Prejudice" for the first time. I did not like it, but mostly because it stirred up conflict between Elizabeth & Darcy and cast a darkness over their marriage. I think that Austen needs no sequel.
Laurel
If you can, take yourself back to 1993. Some of you reading this review were not even born yet, so bear with me. Imagine the Jane Austen universe pre Colin Firth as Mr. Darcy emerging soaking wet from Pemberley pond in the 1995 A&E/BBC miniseries Pride and Prejudice. No dripping Darcy. No thousands of Jane Austen-inspired prequels, sequels and inspired-by novels and self-help books brimming book shelves at your local bookstore. No buy-it-now button at your favorite online retailer. No INTERN ...more
Sharon L
Nov 21, 2013 Sharon L rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
It is no secret I'm a big fan of Jane Austen, and though Pride and Prejudice is not my most favourite of her books it was still so good I did not want it to end.

I wanted more, I wished for more, I really wanted to know how would Eliza and Darcy interact as a married couple.

then, I heard this book was a continuation, that Emma Tennant put a lot of research and tried to write according to the little stories that were exposed in Jane's letters to her sister.
some of the reviews I read (not here)
Katherine
Aug 27, 2014 Katherine rated it did not like it
Sadly I had to agree with all the other reviewers.. This book was upsetting as I cannot imagine Elizabeth and Darcy having these types of communication issues with each other after a year of marriage. Misunderstandings amount to an excessive degree and every time Elizabeth perceives something in Darcy that reminds her of his prideful nature he does something that pieces how much he loves her and yet she distrusts him which is frustrating! Darcy doesn't have many lines in this novel but they were ...more
Christina
Aug 23, 2007 Christina rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one
I really disliked this book. I had high hopes for it, but it just wasn't true to the spirit of Pride and Prejudice. I didn't feel like she had a good grasp of the characters, the events were too overblown, and the writing was repetitive and unoriginal. In other words, it was a big disappointment. I'll just stick with the original Jane Austen books from now on.
Eduardo
May 07, 2015 Eduardo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Those readers who judge this novel as too un-Jane Austenesque, and then rate it with one or two stars, are probably looking for something in this work they cannot find.
In the prefatory note Tennant quotes from a letter J. Austen wrote in 1813 from London to her sister Cassandra, about how she would envision the future of her heroine Lizzy from Pride and Prejudice to be. Austen imagined her married life as “[a] mixture of love, pride and delicacy.” That is what probably those readers who have jud
Bonnie
Feb 23, 2008 Bonnie rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
I read this and thought is was the best of the stories out there trying to continue the saga.
Marsha
The tone and much of the dry humor of Austen’s original novel remain intact in this sequel. The characters are much as we remember them, so much so it’s as if they’ve been dipped in plaster and left to harden. Eliza shows little of the maturity we might have expected from her, allowing herself to be bullied by her nasty in-laws and all too easily inferring that her new husband has a bastard child from a former liaison.

No one she confides to seems to be able to point out how difficult it would be
Elizabeth Hernandez
Jun 03, 2008 Elizabeth Hernandez rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: girls feeling a bit sappy and bored
I liked this book (surprisingly enough). I wouldn't recommend it to P&P fans though. I really wanted to give it 2 1/2 stars rather than 3 because I can't decide if I like "liked" it or if it was just okay. I read it quickly, mostly because it became easier and easier to get through as the story progressed and also because I really wanted to get to my next book (it's a library book so there's a time limit ;)
The start is slow, I wanted to stop reading and move on after each of the first few ch
Skylar Burris
At first, I thought the author’s style of writing somehow rigid, in that I had difficulty reading her words with ease; but in time, I grew used to the writing, and it flowed well enough to read. The plotline is unbelievable and not in keeping with the personalities of Austen's original characters. Elizabeth is suddenly a figure utterly lacking in self-confidence, and Georgiana is intermittently pleasant and haughty, as though the author was not sure how to draw her. (In the original, I think sh ...more
Barb
Apr 02, 2011 Barb rated it did not like it
What an awful book! I have exclaimed over the explicit sexual P&P sequels, but this makes me realize there is another way to write poorly. Elizabeth and Darcy are having everyone ever mentioned in P&P to Pemberley for Christmas. Elizabeth is a bit uneasy about her role of Mistress of Pemberley, and that is to be understood. But, Elizabeth experiences dismay, regret, anxiety, annoyance, insult, embarrassment, uncertainty, disdain, etc. throughout the entire book. There is NO LET UP. The s ...more
Julie
May 06, 2009 Julie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one, really
Recommended to Julie by: found it in the library in London
I finally tracked down which P&P sequel I read while I was in London. Thank goodness I only got it from the library, because it was GODAWFUL. Tennant took utterly ridiculous liberties with the characters and I found the entire plot completely unbelievable, especially the end!

The only positive bit about it was the portrayal of some of Elizabeth's difficulties in getting used to her role as headmistress of a house such as Pemberley - things like being unsure quite when to "disappear" with the
sara
Jan 15, 2015 sara rated it it was ok
من به این کتاب 2 دادم به دو دلیل اول اینکه با توجه به اینکه این کتاب توسط نویسنده دیگری نوشته شده و بسیار سعی شده خصوصیات شخصیت ها حفظ شود با این حال شخصیت الیزابت بسیار فرق دارد و دومین دلیل: در انتهای داستان اتفاقاتی افتاد که نظرم را نسبت به یکی از شخصیت ها به کلی عوض کرد
Leslie Hickman
Jul 10, 2008 Leslie Hickman rated it it was ok
I was a bit disappointed in that it made it as if Elizabeth & Darcy did not have communication with each other. But in the original they had NO problem of saying what was on their mond, especially Lizzie! So this character makes her like a milksop. It still was a quick read that made me think of a different time than now, but it needed help with its timing greatly. It was all off!! It aged some people much faster than that of others. If it was only Lizzie's first Christmas with Darcy than Ly ...more
Laurie Allen
Dec 11, 2015 Laurie Allen rated it did not like it
WARNING: stay away from this book. Far, far away. Also, spoilers may be involved.

I rarely rate or review a book. Even if it's really good. I leave it for my blog. But this one. This was just too disappointing in so many levels, for so many reasons. I really thought I would like this book. I mean Berdoll had so many bad reviews but I actually enjoyed the series. Maybe this wouldn't be any different. Maybe you're thinking of the same thing.

No. Stay FAR away.

First off, I know that the author wante
Jane
Feb 09, 2015 Jane rated it it was ok
Mullgirl
Mar 18, 2014 Mullgirl rated it did not like it
Um, how about shockingly bad? For a start? Sigh. Three hours of my life I won’t get back; that’s for damn sure.

This horrid sequel to Pride and Prejudice can only claim to be the sequel if Elizabeth Bennet was destined to turn into the ridiculous, fluttering creature that is her mother. I never thought of her as a jump-to- conclusions kind of girl in the real story–over-eager to believe the worst in someone, if it suits her, sure. But insipid, guarded, able to hold her tongue when she shouldn’t.
Susanne
Jun 16, 2015 Susanne rated it liked it
This was not one of the stronger continuations of Pride and Prejudice, but it was entertaining enough. I was annoyed by Darcy called Elizabeth "Eliza" as Miss Bingley had done. The rest of the book was okay; I appreciate the fact that it didn't paint a totally rosy picture of wedded bliss; in fact, it dealt more with Darcy and Elizabeth learning how to communicate within marriage. I felt it was fairly realistic in that way--they both have their usual responses to deal with and learning how to ac ...more
Crystal
May 07, 2009 Crystal rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'd forgotten I read this book until I saw a friend's review and had a flashback. I think I'd repressed the memory. What an awful book! all the fun and light hearted wit of the original was sucked out, and replaced with awkward scenarios and miserable characters. awful, awful, awful! I do not recommend this book to anyone!
Janis
Only read 50 pages before putting it aside--and I never do that! The writing style is the only reason I gave it 2 stars. Her characterization of my favorite heroine is so off putting, I couldn't continue. It reminds me of late 80s-early 90s tv dramas. Didn't like them then, really don't like them now.
Kathy
Jun 15, 2009 Kathy rated it it was ok
I am sad to say that I could not really recognize the Darcy in this book. Her Elizabeth I feel was about 80% true to Austen, but the Darcy in this book appears to have Multiple Personality Disorder. While Austen's Darcy is not faultless by any means, he did not appear to be afflicted with MPD in particular.
Naomi
Jun 07, 2007 Naomi rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A passable attempt at a sequel to Pride and Prejudice. I had a hard time believing that Elizabeth would be so cold to her mother after her father's death, or that she was so mystified by Mr. Darcy. Any warmth the couple had in P&P was sucked away in this novel.
Katherine
Apr 11, 2010 Katherine rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was so disappointed with this book. I really wanted a sequel to Pride and Prejudice because I wanted to contine the story further but this was awful.

This has put me off reading sequels to any other classic book as it was such a bad story.
Carine
Dec 28, 2009 Carine rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nobody
I needed something light after reading Le vide and indeed to was. I don't know how I read the whole thing! It was pretty boring, to say the least. I mooched quite a few P&P sequels a long time ago. Guess I won't be in any rush to read them!
Jen
May 02, 2008 Jen rated it it was ok
Where did the lovely and sprited Elizabeth Bennett disappear to? Nowhere near the pages of this disappointing Pride & Prejudice follow-up. Our heroine was nowhere to be found in this dreary Austen knock-off
  • Mrs Darcy's Dilemma
  • Desire and Duty: A Sequel to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice
  • Darcy's Temptation: A Sequel to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice
  • Presumption: An Entertainment: A Sequel to Pride and Prejudice
  • Mr. Darcy's Decision: A Sequel to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice
  • The Private Diary of Mr. Darcy
  • Pemberley Shades: A Lightly Gothic Tale of Mr. and Mrs. Darcy
  • Mr. Darcy Presents His Bride: A Sequel to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice
  • More Letters from Pemberley: 1814-1819: A Further Continuation of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice
  • Mr. Darcy's Daughter (The Pemberley Chronicles, #5)
  • Lydia Bennet's Story: A Sequel to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice
  • Pemberley Manor
  • Pride/Prejudice: A Novel of Mr. Darcy, Elizabeth Bennet, and Their Forbidden Lovers
  • Mr. Darcy's Dream
  • Really Angelic
  • Vanity and Vexation: A Novel of Pride and Prejudice
  • Eliza's Daughter
  • The Road to Pemberley: An Anthology of New Pride and Prejudice Stories
Since the early 1970s, when she was in her mid-thirties, Emma Tennant has been a prolific novelist and has established herself as one of the leading British exponents of "new fiction." This does not mean that she is an imitator of either the French nouveaux romanciers or the American post-modernists, although her work reveals an indebtedness to the methods and preoccupations of some of the latter. ...more
More about Emma Tennant...