Start by marking “The Territory of Men: A Memoir” as Want to Read:
The Territory of Men: A Memoir

The Territory of Men: A Memoir

Born into the turmoil of mid-sixties San Francisco, the daughter of a flower child and a surfer, Joelle Fraser grew up with no bedtime, no boundaries, and no father. But “dads” she had in abundance, as her mother worked her way through boyfriends and husbands, caught between the traditional rules of her upbringing and the new freedoms of the “me generation” and women’s lib ...more
Published July 16th 2002 by Villard

To ask other readers questions about The Territory of Men, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Territory of Men

Traci Wheeler
Aug 24, 2008 Traci Wheeler rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hard not to love this book as my personal friend wrote it and i'm actually mentioned in it! Fascinating and troubling that a woman as young as Joelle could already write a memoir but when your life has been as charged as hers has been, it is possible. She has lived more lifetimes in her short 40 years than most of us and reading about her ability to live and cope is interesting.
Stephan
Aug 07, 2007 Stephan rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: children of the 60s
I read this memoir of growing up the child of the sixties and alcoholism while taking a Greyhound going north from Mendocino County to Prince Rupert, British Columbia. Along the way, I could look out the window and see many of the locations in northern California and Oregon that Fraser wrote about. It was one of those magical readings, when the author's talents are so prodigious you simply cannot remove yourself from her world. This is a great, great book, deserving of a wide readership.

Shannon
Nov 12, 2008 Shannon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The main character grew up the daughter of a freeloading mother with no bedtime, rules, or father. Joelle grew up with various father figures and learned very quickly that her mother relied on men to survive. The story shows how this kind of life style affects a person later on in life.
Jan 31, 2008 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir-biography
I enjoyed this book as I am fascinated with childhood stories that are so different than my normal, middle class upbringing.
Indra
Jan 15, 2011 Indra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really fine writing...I related to a lot of her experiences. I agree with other reviewers--writing this good deserves more readers. I would love to hear her read and/or take a class from her, and her book has stayed with me--it made me think about the memoir I've been trying to write for way too long. I love that she put a note at the end saying it was the hardest thing she'd ever done; I certainly believe it. It takes a great deal of courage to put your truth out there, and kudos to her.
Jenna
Sep 22, 2007 Jenna added it
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: memoirs
I really loved this book, but it's been so long since I've read it, I believe I'm due to re-read it to give a proper analysis on it! It's one of my favs and I usually recommend it! One of the first memoirs I've read and got me hooked on them!
Barbara
Dec 29, 2009 Barbara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir, non-fiction
Memoir of growing up in a fractured family in the 60's and 70's California and Hawaii. Well written and thought provoking.
Melissa
Feb 27, 2013 Melissa rated it it was amazing
I read this book in 2002 because the author is a good friend and was also my college roommate at UH, Manoa. I think the writing is excellent and I could see so clearly how Joelle put herself "out there" with a lot of humility. It was a courageous book to write and for that I admire her. There is so much truth and vulnerability that she exposed and I don't believe this is an easy thing for any author to undertake. She wrote about an interesting time, when children were raised by what I will call ...more
Kelly Goldthorpe
Picked this book up in Susanville, CA, which is in the middle-of-nowhere in norcal, because the bookseller said it was written by a local author. I lugged it around for 9 months and finally read it! Glad I waited - she mentions a number of other cities on the West Coast that I have memories at over the last 12 months, specifically San Fran and Sausalito, CA. Easy read and interesting life. I want to know how her professional/education success stemmed from the personal chaos that speckled her lif ...more
Cari
Nov 01, 2008 Cari rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading about her experiences in locations that I've been - San Francisco, Lincoln City, Hawaii. Reminded me in a way of Glass Castle.
Jeannie
Sep 16, 2008 Jeannie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed reading this book. Excellent read~
Todd
Jul 14, 2008 Todd rated it really liked it
Oh, this is sad book of a girl's childhood through her 20's.
Really well-written.
Mandy
Apr 03, 2009 Mandy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a pretty good book. I enjoyed reading about Joelle's childhood. I have a few unanswered questions,but over all it was a fast read that I enjoyed!
Colette
Jan 16, 2008 Colette rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Story of my life.. in a way. Read in Portland during Christmas.
Hannah
Jan 04, 2016 Hannah rated it did not like it
I always feel bad giving memoirs bad reviews because I'm sure it's hard to share such personal events in a book. I commend the author for doing so. But honestly, this book is awful. I don't mind memoirs jumping around to different time periods or events, but this one does so in a way that's so incoherent it's hard to understand. Nothing particularly interesting even happens in the book. I definitely think that some people with ordinary lives can pull off writing compelling memoirs, but this auth ...more
Dana
May 02, 2016 Dana rated it liked it
This book had some iffy points to me. The beginning started off appealing, but somewhere around the middle I felt like it got a bit "off" in the style. I had a hard time following things. By the end, however, it was back to the original style and seemed to finish strong. I enjoyed reading about Joelle's experiences, both positive and painful. It was very real, and very easy to imagine. Her life is unique, for sure. The insight she had about her experiences was admirable. Though she endured a lot ...more
Maureen
Mar 17, 2016 Maureen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I felt this book and enjoyed it. I know Joelle, and read it while we were in a book club together. In her early life she was a beach waif in SF, and I think I remember seeing and talking to her. I was a young adult hippie and she was a flower child's child.
Glenda
Jan 24, 2012 Glenda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure what I was expecting but for me this book was only ok. While it was well written I just found it kind of boring. I hate saying that about a memoir because that is someone's life but it was drawn out and lacked excitement.
Chris
Apr 25, 2011 Chris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: human-drama
Got at the Writer's conference. Was a disappointment.
Jamie
Nov 12, 2008 Jamie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was.... OK. It was a long winded. I was expecting a lot more than what I got.
Chelsea
Nov 18, 2016 Chelsea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This memoir was very sad yet insightful and well written. My heart truly goes out to the author and pray she finds peace and is able to settle down and be happy in her life.
Leslie Clary
Leslie Clary rated it liked it
Mar 06, 2015
Julie
Julie rated it really liked it
Nov 11, 2008
Erin
Erin rated it liked it
Aug 31, 2012
Terena Scott
Terena Scott rated it really liked it
Jul 13, 2007
Misty
Misty rated it liked it
Feb 06, 2008
Marcus
Marcus rated it liked it
Apr 22, 2014
Naomi Ascencio
Naomi Ascencio rated it it was amazing
Aug 26, 2012
Chartreuse
Chartreuse rated it really liked it
May 28, 2012
Mercedes Dúmmer
Mercedes Dúmmer rated it really liked it
Mar 03, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Girl Boy Girl: How I Became JT Leroy
  • Seeking Rapture: Scenes from a Woman's Life
  • Love Sick: One Woman's Journey through Sexual Addiction
  • West of Then: A Mother, a Daughter, and a Journey Past Paradise
  • Harley Loco: A Memoir of Hard Living, Hair, and Post-Punk, from the Middle East to the Lower East Side
  • Solitaire: The Compelling Story of a Young Woman Growing up in America and Her Triumph over Anorexia
  • 8: a Memoir