Start by marking “The Territory of Men: A Memoir” as Want to Read:
The Territory of Men: A Memoir

The Territory of Men: A Memoir

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  131 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Born into the turmoil of mid-sixties San Francisco, the daughter of a flower child and a surfer, Joelle Fraser grew up with no bedtime, no boundaries, and no father. But “dads” she had in abundance, as her mother worked her way through boyfriends and husbands, caught between the traditional rules of her upbringing and the new freedoms of the “me generation” and women’s lib ...more
Published July 16th 2002 by Villard

To ask other readers questions about The Territory of Men, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Territory of Men

Traci Wheeler
Hard not to love this book as my personal friend wrote it and i'm actually mentioned in it! Fascinating and troubling that a woman as young as Joelle could already write a memoir but when your life has been as charged as hers has been, it is possible. She has lived more lifetimes in her short 40 years than most of us and reading about her ability to live and cope is interesting.
Stephan
Jul 03, 2014 Stephan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: children of the 60s
I read this memoir of growing up the child of the sixties and alcoholism while taking a Greyhound going north from Mendocino County to Prince Rupert, British Columbia. Along the way, I could look out the window and see many of the locations in northern California and Oregon that Fraser wrote about. It was one of those magical readings, when the author's talents are so prodigious you simply cannot remove yourself from her world. This is a great, great book, deserving of a wide readership.

Shannon
The main character grew up the daughter of a freeloading mother with no bedtime, rules, or father. Joelle grew up with various father figures and learned very quickly that her mother relied on men to survive. The story shows how this kind of life style affects a person later on in life.
I enjoyed this book as I am fascinated with childhood stories that are so different than my normal, middle class upbringing.
Indra
Really fine writing...I related to a lot of her experiences. I agree with other reviewers--writing this good deserves more readers. I would love to hear her read and/or take a class from her, and her book has stayed with me--it made me think about the memoir I've been trying to write for way too long. I love that she put a note at the end saying it was the hardest thing she'd ever done; I certainly believe it. It takes a great deal of courage to put your truth out there, and kudos to her.
Jenna
Sep 22, 2007 Jenna added it
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: memoirs
I really loved this book, but it's been so long since I've read it, I believe I'm due to re-read it to give a proper analysis on it! It's one of my favs and I usually recommend it! One of the first memoirs I've read and got me hooked on them!
Barbara
Memoir of growing up in a fractured family in the 60's and 70's California and Hawaii. Well written and thought provoking.
Mandy
This was a pretty good book. I enjoyed reading about Joelle's childhood. I have a few unanswered questions,but over all it was a fast read that I enjoyed!
Cari
I enjoyed reading about her experiences in locations that I've been - San Francisco, Lincoln City, Hawaii. Reminded me in a way of Glass Castle.
Todd
Oh, this is sad book of a girl's childhood through her 20's.
Really well-written.
Colette
Story of my life.. in a way. Read in Portland during Christmas.
Jeannie
I really enjoyed reading this book. Excellent read~
Melissa
I read this book in 2002 because the author is a good friend and was also my college roommate at UH, Manoa. I think the writing is excellent and I could see so clearly how Joelle put herself "out there" with a lot of humility. It was a courageous book to write and for that I admire her. There is so much truth and vulnerability that she exposed and I don't believe this is an easy thing for any author to undertake. She wrote about an interesting time, when children were raised by what I will call ...more
Kelly Goldthorpe
Picked this book up in Susanville, CA, which is in the middle-of-nowhere in norcal, because the bookseller said it was written by a local author. I lugged it around for 9 months and finally read it! Glad I waited - she mentions a number of other cities on the West Coast that I have memories at over the last 12 months, specifically San Fran and Sausalito, CA. Easy read and interesting life. I want to know how her professional/education success stemmed from the personal chaos that speckled her lif ...more
Glenda
I'm not sure what I was expecting but for me this book was only ok. While it was well written I just found it kind of boring. I hate saying that about a memoir because that is someone's life but it was drawn out and lacked excitement.
Jamie
This book was.... OK. It was a long winded. I was expecting a lot more than what I got.
Chris
Got at the Writer's conference. Was a disappointment.
Maggie Moritz
Maggie Moritz marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2014
Absinthe
Absinthe marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2014
Leslie Brand
Leslie Brand marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2014
Angel
Angel marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2014
Katrina
Katrina marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Janice CA
Janice CA marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
Sydney
Sydney marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Tiffany
Tiffany marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
  • Girls of Tender Age: A Memoir
  • Have You Found Her
  • The Sky Isn't Visible from Here: Scenes from a Life
  • West of Then: A Mother, a Daughter, and a Journey Past Paradise
  • Solitaire: The Compelling Story of a Young Woman Growing up in America and Her Triumph over Anorexia
  • Can't Think Straight: A Memoir of Mixed-Up Love
  • 8: a Memoir
  • True Pleasures: Memoir of Women in Paris, A
  • Color Blind: A Memoir
  • Mississippi Solo: A River Quest
The Forest House: A Year's Journey Into the Landscape of Love, Loss, and Starting Over Too Good To Be True: A Short Story HardRider Series #3 The Ride: A Short Story HardRider Series #1 Virginia City: A Short Story HardRider Series #2