Start by marking “Family Blessings” as Want to Read:
Family Blessings

Family Blessings

4.09  ·  Rating Details ·  4,470 Ratings  ·  112 Reviews
A novel that explores the devastation of loss, the elation of love -- and the bonds that shape our lives. Lee Reston has three wonderful children and a successful business. But the loss of her oldest son shatters everything. Then the grieving Lee shares with her son's best friend becomes something more, making Lee question where family ties end -- and her needs as a woman ...more
Paperback
Published October 1st 2000 by Berkley Trade (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Family Blessings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Family Blessings

Rachel Regina
Overall rating: 5 stars!

Triggers:
Cheating: (view spoiler)
Love triangle: (view spoiler)
Sex with om/ow: (view spoiler)
Intimate pasts: (view spoiler)
Sera
May 28, 2016 Sera rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: age-gap
How refreshing this book was, but what else would I expect from LaVyrle Spencer. She just has a way of weaving a truly memorable story with such relatable characters. It was an honest story about grief and finding love in the unexpected. I loved both Lee and Christopher so much. They were very genuine and the build up was gradual and believeable. It was sweet without being cheesy. Just the right amount of everything.
BJ Rose
WOW! This story was so emotionally draining through the first part that I had to put it down and do something physical to recharge. As this story opens, the heroine is a widow who loses her oldest child in a motorcycle accident, and we soon learn that two decades earlier she lost a baby to SIDS. This sounds like a bad soap opera, but in this author's hands, it becomes an uplifting story of dealing with loss.

Unfortunately, IMO, this is marketed as a romance, and the focus in readers' minds is on
Jane Stewart
A wonderful relationship - much more than lust. A full story, a good story.

This is romance with a womens fiction feel. There is a lot of grief in the first third of the book. A mother Lee loses her 25 year old son Greg in a motorcycle accident. Chris is Greg’s roommate and coworker. Chris mourns the loss with Lee and her family. I don’t want to read books about grief and depressing topics. But this was less troubling than I expected. The author wasn’t focused on making me cry or feel bad. Instea
Kathy
May 11, 2016 Kathy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one is hard to rate. I've waffled between 3 and 4 stars, but I think I'll have to split the difference to be fair.

The first third is very, very emotional dealing with the death of and grieving for Greg Reston, Lee's oldest son and Christopher Lallek's best friend. The grieving process was handled in such a genuine empathetic way, though there were times I felt overwhelmed by the intensity of their grief, making me long for it to become a little bit lighter in tone.

The romance between Chris
Pikolina
Apr 11, 2016 Pikolina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Preciosa historia, con su toque agridulce.
Muy romantica, con protagonistas inmejorables.
Recomendable sin ninguna duda.
Kristen Anderson
I read this book years ago, and decided to search for it for Kindle. It was more expensive than the books I usually buy for my Kindle, and filled with typos, but I don't regret my choice for a second. This book was even better than I remembered it being, and is one of my favorites by this author. The characters are vividly drawn, and the changing of the POV between characters is done very well. Lee and Christopher are thrown together when Lee's son, and Christopher's roommate, dies suddenly. As ...more
Kris - My Novelesque Life
3.5 STARS

"Widowed at an early age, 44-year-old Lee Reston has overcome many obstacles to raise three children and build a successful business. When her eldest son is killed in a motorcycle accident, Lee turns to his 30-year-old best friend for comfort--and falls in love with him." (From Amazon)

I enjoyed this contemporary family fiction.
Cindy
Jan 06, 2016 Cindy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
As usual, Spencer is able to take a sensitive subject and handle it with grace. I really liked this book till the end when I thought the main character became selfish, immature and overly mushy and it kind of ruined the whole premise of the story for me. Otherwise, it was easy to read, down to earth and relatable.
Umi
Aug 14, 2016 Umi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, fiction
Lee Reston adalah seorang janda berusia 45 tahun dengan 3 orang anak. Selain kehilangan suami di usia 36 tahun, dia juga pernah kehilangan putranya yang baru berusia 3 bulan. Dia adalah seorang single mother yang mendedikasikan dirinya untuk anak-anaknya. Lalu putra sulungnya, Greg yang berprofesi sebagai polisi tiba-tiba tewas dalam kecelakaan. Dunia Lee pun runtuh. Dia tidak bisa menanggung lagi kehilangan keluarga. Untungnya datang Christopher. Teman sekamar Greg yang juga berprofesi sebagai ...more
kim
Jun 17, 2009 kim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great descriptive writing,

This is the 2nd book I've read by this author and have enjoyed them both. Though she is billed as a 'romance' author, she is really a 'relationship' author, because her character definitely develop relationships. This author does a great job with character development, and with descriptions of people and places.

I did feel the book dragged at one point, shortly after the relationship became physical. I guess the point was to let us know how passionate they were for each
Apr 08, 2016 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely Best Book Read In Years

This was the first LaVyrle Spencer book that I have ever read and now I am a fan for life. I've been really getting bored with writers like Nora Roberts who change the names of their characters and release the same stories over and over and there's never anything that causes the reader to remember the book when it's finished. The same can never be said about Family Blessings. From the first paragraph to the last sentence, it's very hard to put down. It's a sweet
Susan
Feb 14, 2015 Susan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-reads
I guess you would consider this a chic lit book, but it was pretty good and a fast read. It is about a woman whos son is killed in a motorcycle accident. The first part of the book deals with the grief she endures. I thought it was pretty hard to read because it dredged up some painful memories for me about my brother. The second part of the book is about her falling in love with one of her son’s friends and the struggle to find some happiness in her life again. Even though the second half was p ...more
Elaine Cougler
Aug 12, 2016 Elaine Cougler rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Family Blessings was really quite intriguing. It starts with a young policeman dying and prodeeds through the ensuing days with Christopher, his best cop friend, and Lee, his mother. The two move from grief sharing to so much more, leading to Lee's conflicts within herself and with her family. Good story.
Madeline
Okay this book is a little bit weird, but that is just because of the age difference between the main couple. Always a little weird when the woman is like twenty years older then the man. Altogether it was a good book, though. Very bittersweet. Her son is dead, but she gets a whole new chapter to her life. A pretty sweet read.
Eileen Carter
Sep 21, 2015 Eileen Carter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great story that talks about a love that is sometimes though not so often any more consider taboo. An older woman with a much younger man. This book is well written and will be enjoyed by all who read it.
Vickie Simpson
I love LaVyrle Spencer's books but was disappointed in this one. I just did not like the characters very much and it did not hold my attention. However, that is just my opinion. Other LaVyrle Spencer fans may love it.
Maggie Shanley
Feb 16, 2015 Maggie Shanley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great tearjerker of a story, grabbed hold and made me cry through the whole thing! A story of death and an unexpected romance.
Mary DiGrazio
This is one of a few of my favorite LaVyrle Spencer books. I've read it so many times - I get in the mood to0 read it. I've always loved the older woman/younger man theme.
Diane Wachter
HB-B @ 1993, 11/98. A widow with 3 children loses her oldest son in a motorcycle accident, and falls in love with his best friend. Good.
Brenda French
Jun 21, 2015 Brenda French rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my all time favorite books I have read it again and again over the years. I hate that Mrs. Spencer stopped writing.
Barbara
Jan 26, 2016 Barbara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent
Joie Andrews
Nov 03, 2015 Joie Andrews rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love anything by LaVyrle Spencer. Morning glory is my favorite, though.
C.L. Howland
Jun 30, 2016 C.L. Howland rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A sensitive subject that Spencer handles with the beauty that is her style.
Julie Dickerson
Nov 04, 2015 Julie Dickerson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My second favorite LaVyrle Spencer book!
Karen Montplaisir
Have always loved her books
Candace
I first read this book when I was in my early 20's and loved it. I bet I read it at least 10 times over the next few years and the story stuck with me. I kept thinking about it and I it took me a few months to remember the name of the book so I could find it again. After my recent read I still felt that the book had a great appeal but not the appeal it had in my earlier days. The language was a bit to formal, for example, calling boys socks stockings, and the family members reaction to Lee's rom ...more
4DRAKE: Family Blessings 1 8 Dec 11, 2013 04:42PM
  • Red's Hot Honky-Tonk Bar
  • For My Daughters
  • Fall Into Me (Hearts of the South, #7)
  • The Rainbow Season (Turner's Rainbows Saga, #1)
  • Tangled Vines
  • This Time Forever
  • Sleeping Beauty
  • A Promise of Spring (Web, #4)
  • No Place Like Home
  • Texas Sunrise (Texas, #4)
  • Midnight Confessions
  • A Place to Call Home
  • Morning Comes Softly
  • One Summer
  • A Sudden Change of Heart
LaVyrle Spencer is an American best-selling author of contemporary and historical romance novels. She has successfully published a number of books, with several of them made into movies. Twelve of her books have been New York Times bestsellers, and Spencer was inducted into the Romance Writers of America Hall of Fame in 1988.

Spencer is known for creating realistic characters and stories that focu
More about LaVyrle Spencer...