Dubai Dreams: Inside the Kingdom of Bling

Dubai Dreams: Inside the Kingdom of Bling

3.24 of 5 stars 3.24  ·  rating details  ·  37 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Sun, sea, shopping, roaring nightlife, the world's tallest building, seven-star resort hotels and sprawling championship golf courses... these all come to mind when thinking about Dubai, the newest and most luxurious hotspot for business and leisure. But what lurks behind this glitzy glamour-town? Raymond Barrett investigates, and finds some fascinating results. Incredibly...more
Published December 15th 2010 by Nicholas Brealey Publishing (first published 2010)

A.R. Zander
I thought this book was excellent. Gives anyone that wants to know about Dubai a real insider's account of what the place is like. I definitely recommend it.
Alice
I had no idea that Dubai was almost entirely populated by expats. According to the author, only a small percentage is Arab. At first it annoyed me that he spent the first several chapters talking about the "seedy underbelly" and the lower-rung imported workers. But, he eventually got to every group and lifestyle in the Emirate, talked about the history of the place, and even had side trips to the neighboring Emirates, putting Dubai in context with its neighbors. After reading this, I'll save my...more
Carol
I enjoyed this book as having been to Dubai and not understanding the place, I am vindicated! Very interesting book, combining history and a sensible account of what it's like today.
Ellie Revert
Fascinating story about the underbelly of the posh Dubai world---the workers who are imported from Bangladesh and India and Pakistan--and how they are treated. (kindle)
Sheridan
An honest account of Dubai - it's dreams, hopes, hypocracies and shadiness
Jane
Wow-have YOU ever wondered about Dubai?
Girishbhide
Girishbhide marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
Anne
Anne marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2014
Jannel
Jannel marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2013
Sujay
Sujay marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2013
Grich
Grich marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2013
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2013
Amal
Amal marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2013
Abrar Ahmed
Abrar Ahmed marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2013
Milind Trivedi
Milind Trivedi marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2013
Kawther
Kawther marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2013
Tia
Tia marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2013
Laura Harrington
Laura Harrington marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2013
Diego
Diego marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2013
Kazi Afzal
Kazi Afzal marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2013