Start by marking “Compendium: Catechism of the Catholic Church” as Want to Read:
Compendium: Catechism of the Catholic Church

Compendium: Catechism of the Catholic Church

4.42 of 5 stars 4.42  ·  rating details  ·  801 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Pope Benedict XVI gives the Church the "food" that it seeks in the 598 questions and answers comprising the official summary of the Catechism of the Catholic Church. Because of the book's format, parents, pastors, teachers, principals, and catechists have a unique opportunity to dialogue with the faithful, and reinvigorate the Church's ongoing mission of evangelization and...more
Published March 1st 2006 by USCCB (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Compendium, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Compendium

K.D. Absolutely
If you are a Catholic and you want to know your church better, go for this book. This is a compendium and prior to reading this book I did not know what the word meant. A compendium according to the dictionary is a collection of concise but detailed information about a particular subject, esp. in a book or other publication. So, there is a thicker and more comprehensive Guide to the Cathechism of the Catholic Church for those who want to dig deeper. This is not a summary or an abridged but a com...more
Julie Davis
I got this when it came out, flipped through it, and then put it on the shelf, where the poor thing was never moved until I gave an explanatory talk last night to the RCIA class about how to navigate your way around the Catechism (and other related topics such as Imprimatur stamps, etc.)

When I was looking through it this morning to attempt to answer a question (this group is sharp and curious, although I TOLD them I wasn't an expert on the Catechism, but was good at navigating the numbering syst...more
Deborah
Interesting to see how progressive the Church is with interpreting the 7th Commandment - Thou Shalt Not Steal. Includes not using too much of our natural resources. Looking forward to the revision for the 21 century regarding the 6th Commandment, particularly for our LGBT community, birth control, and just generally a sex-positive approach to life.

Reminder of the 7 Capital Sins

7 Corporal Works of Mercy
1. Feed the hungry
2. Give drin...more
Ms. B
This is the one my husband and I read for our Understanding the Catholic Faith class (aka RCIA). The question and answer format is easy to understand and it's much less daunting than the unabridged version.
Joyce
Oct 22, 2013 Joyce marked it as not-going-to-read
I use the Baltimore Catechisms
Karina
Nov 25, 2010 Karina is currently reading it
This little book costs more than the actual Catechism that it's meant to summarize. But I have the Catechism and it's a little daunting, whereas this looks manageable, and I like the question-answer format and all the nice color illustrations, haha.

This is good. I know that it's brief, and I still have questions about certain questions, but like I said, it's more manageable reading it in this shorter format, and I enjoy the illustrations, and the explanations of the symbolic meaning of these il...more
Paul Lee
Good for specific questions and for those that are new to the church. Organized well. Wasn't quite what I was expecting. A whole book of Q&A format was a little much and the questions are laid out in an ok order. The table of contents could be better and I think that would help people find what they are looking for more easily.
Michael Hsu
A must read for all those interested in understanding the Catholic faith. This is an excellent summary of the actual Catechism which is much more challenging to read (so I’ve been told). The questions and answers format make it very easy to read.
Randy
An excellent review of he Roman Catholic faith. It's question and answer format are similar to the classic Baltimore Catechism.
Becki
This is a very brief overview of the Catholic Catechism. I only recommend it for quick reference. It is not for a new Catholic because is not as detailed as the Catechism. I would not use it as a substitute for the Catechism. It does Biblically back up all beliefs of the church and Magesterium.
David S. T.
I read this right now because I don't have time to read the complete Catechism, while incomplete this does serve its purpose and provides a quick rundown of many fundamental topics of the Catechism with numbers to cross reference it.
LH
I got issues with these teachings/practices. Not all of them, but a bunch of them. In light of the gay pedophiles and other sexual abusers and cover-ups at very high levels of the Catholic church, these teachings are BS.
Jeannie Scheirman
This isn't really the type of book you like or don't like, but it was informative to anyone who has questions about their Catholic Religion. Appreciated the information.
Guille Heff
I think if you have any doubts or questions regarding your faith this is kinda like a textbook, it should stay on your bedside table so you can consult anytime.
Greg Reed
Good reference to use when looking for quick answers about Catholic doctrine. Very helpful to use when doing a study of the Catechism of the Catholic church.
Derrick Gibson
A bit easier to read than the full version of the Catholic Catechism of the Catholic Church and really useful, especially if you are pressed for time.
Kevin de Ataíde
I keep the physical copy of this and an electronic copy of its big sister for reference.
1catholisalmon
A shorter version of the Catechism of the Catholic Church.
Valentin
A great follow up book for every catholic.
Gino
a summary of the CCC in Q&A format.
Daniel Arseneault
An improvement over the 1992 Catechism.
Dan
Excellent compendium.
Michael Vonschwartz
Michael Vonschwartz marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2014
Valentina
Valentina is currently reading it
Sep 27, 2014
John Gazzelli
John Gazzelli marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2014
Frtony Neusch
Frtony Neusch marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2014
Jason Blevins
Jason Blevins marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2014
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2014
  • The Gospel of Life
  • The Spirit of the Liturgy
  • Of Human Life: Humanae Vitae
  • Catechism of the Catholic Church
  • Catholic Christianity: A Complete Catechism of Catholic Beliefs Based on the Catechism of the Catholic Church
  • Catholicism and Fundamentalism
  • Lord, Have Mercy: The Healing Power of Confession
  • Ignatius Catholic Study Bible: New Testament
  • Surprised by Truth
  • The Way
  • Born Fundamentalist, Born Again Catholic
  • Theology for Beginners
United States Catholic Catechism for Adults Bible: New American Bible, Revised Edition 2011 General Instruction of the Roman Missal National Directory for Catechesis Catholic Household Blessings and Prayers