Start by marking “Compendium: Catechism of the Catholic Church” as Want to Read:
Compendium: Catechism of the Catholic Church

Compendium: Catechism of the Catholic Church

4.45  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,250 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
Pope Benedict XVI gives the Church the food that it seeks in the 598 questions and answers comprising the official summary of the Catechism of the Catholic Church. Because of the book's format, parents, pastors, teachers, principals, and catechists have a unique opportunity to dialogue with the faithful, and reinvigorate the Church's ongoing mission of evangelization and c ...more
Published March 1st 2006 by USCCB (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Compendium, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Compendium

K.D. Absolutely
If you are a Catholic and you want to know your church better, go for this book. This is a compendium and prior to reading this book I did not know what the word meant. A compendium according to the dictionary is a collection of concise but detailed information about a particular subject, esp. in a book or other publication. So, there is a thicker and more comprehensive Guide to the Cathechism of the Catholic Church for those who want to dig deeper. This is not a summary or an abridged but a com ...more
Julie Davis
Mar 07, 2013 Julie Davis rated it it was amazing
I got this when it came out, flipped through it, and then put it on the shelf, where the poor thing was never moved until I gave an explanatory talk last night to the RCIA class about how to navigate your way around the Catechism (and other related topics such as Imprimatur stamps, etc.)

When I was looking through it this morning to attempt to answer a question (this group is sharp and curious, although I TOLD them I wasn't an expert on the Catechism, but was good at navigating the numbering syst
Deborah
Feb 15, 2014 Deborah rated it it was ok
Interesting to see how progressive the Church is with interpreting the 7th Commandment - Thou Shalt Not Steal. Includes not using too much of our natural resources. Looking forward to the revision for the 21 century regarding the 6th Commandment, particularly for our LGBT community, birth control, and just generally a sex-positive approach to life.

Reminder of the 7 Capital Sins

1. Feed the hungry
2. Give drin
Ms. B
Mar 12, 2013 Ms. B rated it liked it
This is the one my husband and I read for our Understanding the Catholic Faith class (aka RCIA). The question and answer format is easy to understand and it's much less daunting than the unabridged version.
Karina
Nov 25, 2010 Karina is currently reading it
This little book costs more than the actual Catechism that it's meant to summarize. But I have the Catechism and it's a little daunting, whereas this looks manageable, and I like the question-answer format and all the nice color illustrations, haha.

This is good. I know that it's brief, and I still have questions about certain questions, but like I said, it's more manageable reading it in this shorter format, and I enjoy the illustrations, and the explanations of the symbolic meaning of these il
Maria
May 26, 2015 Maria rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned, reviewed, faith
An awesome little book that I left unread for much too long! ;)
I received the book in 2008, during the World Youth Days is Sydney and since then it has been laying around in my room.
I'm glad I read it now! Although it is a little tough to read sometimes, I love how it is divided in topics and works with questions. Information is clear and to the point.

For everyone who wants to know the Catholic faith of the church this book is an absolute must-read! ;) Also, as I was raised a Christian, I alrea
Gil Michelini
May 25, 2015 Gil Michelini rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent resource for those serious about studying our faith, which is outlined in the Catechism of the Catholic Church (CCC). Written in the catechetical question/answer format, this book is a guide to the major topics found in the CCC. If you have a goal of someday reading the CCC, the Compendium would be helpful is achieving that goal.
Paul Lee
Feb 04, 2014 Paul Lee rated it liked it
Good for specific questions and for those that are new to the church. Organized well. Wasn't quite what I was expecting. A whole book of Q&A format was a little much and the questions are laid out in an ok order. The table of contents could be better and I think that would help people find what they are looking for more easily.
Michael Hsu
Sep 10, 2014 Michael Hsu rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christianity
A must read for all those interested in understanding the Catholic faith. This is an excellent summary of the actual Catechism which is much more challenging to read (so I’ve been told). The questions and answers format make it very easy to read.
Stephen Tuck
Jul 19, 2016 Stephen Tuck rated it it was amazing
The compendium is invaluable for rebutting the quaint misconceptions many of our separated brethren seem to hold about Catholicism. more substantially though it is something of a 'how to' for applying the Word of God in daily life.
Jill
This is the book that was used in my RCIA class to teach the Catholic faith. It's in question/answer format. I wish that it gave more biblical references. It wasn't always easy to understand. I much preferred "A Catechism For Adults" by Rev. William Cogan.
Zachary
Dec 17, 2014 Zachary rated it really liked it
The Compendium is very user-friendly thanks to its question-answer format, and it gives good, concise answers that can be the jump-off point to further study on almost any doctrinal issue in the Church.
Becki
Jun 06, 2010 Becki rated it really liked it
Shelves: catholic
This is a very brief overview of the Catholic Catechism. I only recommend it for quick reference. It is not for a new Catholic because is not as detailed as the Catechism. I would not use it as a substitute for the Catechism. It does Biblically back up all beliefs of the church and Magesterium.
Fredrick Danysh
Jun 06, 2016 Fredrick Danysh rated it really liked it
Shelves: religion
This is a synopsis of the Catholic catechism that has been approved by the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops. The fundamental lessons and teachings of the Catholic Church are covered and it is an excellent introduction to Catholicism.
David S. T.
Jan 15, 2015 David S. T. rated it really liked it
I read this right now because I don't have time to read the complete Catechism, while incomplete this does serve its purpose and provides a quick rundown of many fundamental topics of the Catechism with numbers to cross reference it.
LH
Nov 18, 2011 LH rated it liked it
I got issues with these teachings/practices. Not all of them, but a bunch of them. In light of the gay pedophiles and other sexual abusers and cover-ups at very high levels of the Catholic church, these teachings are BS.
Jeannie Scheirman
Jun 22, 2013 Jeannie Scheirman rated it liked it
This isn't really the type of book you like or don't like, but it was informative to anyone who has questions about their Catholic Religion. Appreciated the information.
Guille Heff
Apr 03, 2013 Guille Heff rated it it was amazing
I think if you have any doubts or questions regarding your faith this is kinda like a textbook, it should stay on your bedside table so you can consult anytime.
Greg Reed
Oct 28, 2013 Greg Reed rated it really liked it
Shelves: catholic
Good reference to use when looking for quick answers about Catholic doctrine. Very helpful to use when doing a study of the Catechism of the Catholic church.
Derrick Gibson
A bit easier to read than the full version of the Catholic Catechism of the Catholic Church and really useful, especially if you are pressed for time.
Randy
Jul 05, 2016 Randy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion
An excellent review of he Roman Catholic faith. It's question and answer format are similar to the classic Baltimore Catechism.
Kevin de Ataíde
Aug 03, 2011 Kevin de Ataíde rated it it was amazing
I keep the physical copy of this and an electronic copy of its big sister for reference.
1catholisalmon
A shorter version of the Catechism of the Catholic Church.
Valentin
Apr 18, 2016 Valentin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christianity
A great follow up book for every catholic.
Gino
Aug 23, 2012 Gino rated it really liked it
a summary of the CCC in Q&A format.
Daniel Arseneault
Sep 29, 2012 Daniel Arseneault rated it liked it
Shelves: religion
An improvement over the 1992 Catechism.
Dan
Apr 26, 2009 Dan rated it it was amazing
Excellent compendium.
Cristina
Cristina is currently reading it
Aug 27, 2016
Richard F Salvin
Richard F Salvin rated it liked it
Aug 26, 2016
Emily Davis
Emily Davis rated it liked it
Aug 26, 2016
  • God Is Love: Deus Caritas Est
  • Evangelium Vitae: The Gospel of Life
  • Catholic Christianity: A Complete Catechism of Catholic Beliefs Based on the Catechism of the Catholic Church
  • Humanae Vitae: Of Human Life
  • Catholicism and Fundamentalism
  • Lord, Have Mercy: The Healing Power of Confession
  • Born Fundamentalist, Born Again Catholic
The United States Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB) is the episcopal conference of the Catholic Church in the United States. Founded in 1966 as the joint National Conference of Catholic Bishops (NCCB) and United States Catholic Conference (USCC), it is composed of all active and retired members of the Catholic hierarchy (i.e., diocesan, coadjutor, and auxiliary bishops and the ordinary of the ...more
More about United States Conference of Catholic Bishops...