Start by marking “Chihuahuas for Dummies” as Want to Read:
Chihuahuas for Dummies

Chihuahuas for Dummies

3.99  ·  Rating Details  ·  150 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Are you crazy about Chihuahuas? Chihuahuas For Dummies, 2nd Edition, is fully updated to show you how to find the one you'll love most and make him or her part of your family. This one-stop guide gives you all the information you need to raise and care for your plucky little pooch. You'll find expert advice on everything from feeding and healthcare to housebreaking, groom ...more
Published March 3rd 2011 by For Dummies (first published 2000)

ValerieC
This was a great book and had exactly the information I wanted to find.

My mother-in-law recently and suddenly passed away and my H and I are the only family members who want her 7 year old Chihuahua, Mia. My husband has met Mia several times on visits and says she is sweet and adorable, so we will give her a good home.

In preparation before we travel from Texas to N. Carolina to get our new pet, I downloaded this book and read most of it in a short time.

I appreciate the information about the diff
Vicky
Aug 05, 2012 Vicky rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: essais-etc
I've had dogs before but never a chihuahua, so I thought I'd read up on this particular breed a bit. I feel like I haven't learned much. That most of the book is in fact "Dogs for dummies" and that the word dog has been replaced by chihuahua throughout the book. The only places are when show-dogs are concerned and that isn't interesting to me, our dog is meant to be a family dog, not a show-dog. There was a few specific information about chihuahuas but not much, not enough to justify buying this ...more
Kat
Jan 29, 2012 Kat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was pretty interesting. But a lot of it dealt with the "before you get" the dog. By the time I read this I'd had the dog for 5 months so a lot of it didn't apply to me anymore. There were some game ideas that I might try with my little guy, but other then that nothing much useful for me. In fact a lot of the "temperament" that the author talks about and the "norm" for Chihuahua's doesn't fit my puppy AT ALL lol. He's like the opposite of everything (he loves going for long walks, etc e ...more
Nico Ducharme
I don't think this was particularly useful as a breed-specific book: it reinforced too many stereotypes, a lot of them untrue.
Madison
Jul 02, 2014 Madison rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book it is amazing and it tells me EVERY THING I need to know about chis
Jan 06, 2012 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
A must-read for all Chihuahua owners, especially new ones. Chihuahuas should never just be treated as a dog. They are a special breed, and require some special care and attention. This book gives fabulous insight into the care, handling, feeding, bathing, and the history of the breed. I sat in a bookstore and reviewed about 8 or 9 Chihuahua books before choosing this one - as it seemed to have the best level of detail, and a great overview of many topics. It's very thorough.
Aaron
Feb 17, 2012 Aaron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great Chihuahua-specific book I'd recommend for anyone adopting one of these cute little creatures. If you haven't adopted yet, but are interested, there is PLENTY of info on how to make an informed decision. There's also info on training, grooming, bringing in other dogs to the house, and how to care for geriatric Chihuahuas. A great "go to" manual to have on hand.
Caitlinleah
Oct 15, 2011 Caitlinleah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dogs
first, i'm kind of put off by the for dummies concept. second, this book is geared toward people who want to show chihuahuas, i feel. it has a lot of info about picking a good breeder, if you should fix your dog or not, stuff like that, and as far as training their advice is how to hire a good trainer. all in all, not the best one out there.
Karen Harper
Mar 15, 2013 Karen Harper rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very helpful book for a first-time dog owner. I read it before I got my Chihuahua and the author's interesting facts about this breed got me super excited to bring him home! I'm glad I read this before I got my dog because I would have been almost clueless otherwise.
Maura
Mar 15, 2011 Maura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book in 2003 when I got my dog. It was helpful for being a first time dog owner. I think additional material on training and discipline is useful for an owner also.
Margaret Hanson
Not scintillating literature for sure but was useful when I got my bad dogs. They are not well behaved, but it is not because of this book. The book was useful.
Matimate
Oct 13, 2012 Matimate rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, 2012
I stepped across this book and read it out of the pure boredom during my flight. I can not tell if it is accurate or not, but it was interesting to read.
Jean
Jun 03, 2014 Jean rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good introduction for the Chihuahua. More information than the thin guides have; well-indexed so you can find what you want when you need it.
Amy
May 10, 2009 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone that owns or is thinking about owning a chihuahua
Recommended to Amy by: Found on the library website
Shelves: advice
We checked out five books on chihuahua dogs from the library and this was, by far, our favorite. Lots of good information to help us with our puppy.
Gosia
Nov 23, 2012 Gosia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
I got this book, right after I got my chihuahua, Chico. It's a great little reference guide to learn more about your pet.
Tracy
Jul 19, 2015 Tracy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alison
Alison marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2016
Donna Cooper
Donna Cooper rated it it was amazing
Aug 03, 2016
Tacy Mowrey
Tacy Mowrey rated it it was amazing
Jul 07, 2016
Jessie Olson
Jessie Olson is currently reading it
Jun 29, 2016
Pamela Newkirk
Pamela Newkirk rated it it was amazing
Jun 24, 2016
Robin Gowin
Robin Gowin marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2016
Michelle Boyington
Michelle Boyington marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2016
Chuck Robinson
Chuck Robinson rated it liked it
May 31, 2016
Holly Marks
Holly Marks rated it it was amazing
May 29, 2016
dawn
dawn rated it it was amazing
May 20, 2016
  • Dog Training For Dummies
  • Wicca & Witchcraft for Dummies
  • Genealogy Online for Dummies
  • Tarot for Dummies
  • Irish History for Dummies (For Dummies)
  • Thinking Toolbox
  • Essentials of Business Communication (with www.meguffey.com Printed Access Card)
  • Fibromyalgia for Dummies