Start by marking “Nursing Mother, Working Mother: The Essential Guide for Breastfeeding and Staying Close to Your Baby After You Return to Work” as Want to Read:

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  186 ratings  ·  46 reviews
Essential advice and encouragement for the millions of breastfeeding mothers who work.
Paperback
Published July 1st 1997 by Harvard Common Press

To ask other readers questions about Nursing Mother, Working Mother, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nursing Mother, Working Mother

Carrie
Very useful and comprehensive, but repetitive. Why does every book about breast feeding try to convince you of its merits and go over the top? If I'm reading it, chances are I'm doing it and I don't need to be hit over the head with all the benefits. It'd be nice for such books to at least acknowledge that it's not for everyone.
Liz Diamond
I like the encouraging nature of this book, but I feel that some of the practical "advice" is way off. I liked the chapter on the nutritional benefits of breastmilk - it went into great detail and I learned some new fun facts. But now for the problematic material...First up - she often writes "babies" when she means to say "newborns". The advice given is mainly for babies less than 6 weeks. Next - the "study" claiming babies need to nurse on both sides for 10 minutes to get enough hindmilk. Not ...more
Marisa Renteria
It is for sure a good book, full of great ideas and how to blend in motherhood and career through breastfeeding. I think it is wise to keep in mind all babies and mothers are different, different things work for different people. Yet this book offers a wide array of ideas to come up with your own combo of things that work for you. I really appreciated the empowering words on breastfeeding in public, and using a wrap, incorporating your baby and your breast into your life, I loved the emotional s ...more
Amie
I found this book damn near perfect. It seamlessly combines all the practical advice a working mother needs about pumping and storing her milk with the emotional wisdom about how to meld the two spheres of a working mother's life in a way that is mutually beneficial for all parties involved, especially her baby. The authors also give a nice nod to all of the working mothers in our anthropological history and point out that the phenomenon of stay at home "homemaker" mothers is a relatively recent ...more
Inder
An excellent little book for women who wish to continue to breastfeed after going back to work. It is full of practical advice about pumping, finding a caretaker, etc., but I don't think that's the book's great strength (that advice can be found elsewhere in greater detail). The best part about this book is the sensitive advice on how to deal with the emotional job of balancing professional life and motherhood, while maintaining a strong attachment to your baby. Real advice without a guilt trip ...more
Not quite as informative on the logistics of building supply as I would have liked; I guess there's not a cookie-cutter formula that works for all moms, but some examples of how different moms made it work would be very helpful and was what I was really looking for when picking up this book. Had a hard time with the approach that its the woman/mother that will have to carry most of the home and caring responsibilities rather than the partner. Had a very attachment parenting, baby wearing, co-sle ...more
Leah
No, I'm not a working mother. But a lot of people come to me for breastfeeding advice and I like to have read the books I recommend to them. This one was pretty awesome. It was a tad dated (published in '97, so she kept talking about modems and "internet message board communities" which sound really dated now - perhaps you have to read it to understand what I mean?). But other than that it was a spectacular book. It touched on every aspect of nursing while working. It didn't go too in depth abou ...more
Kristen
Good resource, but overly positive. The author seems to really think that you should be able to alter your work hours or convince your boss you can go part time or at least bring your baby to work. She does occasionally recognize "outliers", like the police detective who was in her car with a male partner all day, but lostly it seems you should be able to make your situation better. As if I didn't have enough to do.
That said, she offers good advice about pump selection, keeping up supply and co
Alicia
I found this book to be useful but the beginning was filled with information to convince someone that they should be breastfeeding and made it sound like the concept of a working, nursing mother is frowned upon. I was looking more for information about how to best juggle this dual role.
Alissa
Apr 26, 2010 Alissa rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all working mothers
I would recommend this book to anyone going back to work after baby.
Not only did it have practical and good advice about how to make nursing work, it also reassured the reader abou
t the bond between mother and child and how to integrate your new role as "mom" into your life and blend it with "employee."
Really good information and a quick read.

My favorite quote on page 96 "Mothering can teach you to ride life instead of directing it, to be open to unexpected opportunities and ready for sudden
Alison
I thought this was a good book dealing with breastfeeding and going back to work, though it seemed a bit preachy at times- I agree with other posters that if I"m reading it, I am probably already convinced that breastmilk is best and I did feel a bit guilty that I don't co-sleep with my baby, though she sleeps in the same room for now. If I would recommend only one book for moms going back to work, I would recommend Milk Mamas instead, it was just more practical and felt more contemporary. But i ...more
Meredith
This book is very supportive of mothers who intend to continue breastfeeding when they return to work. However, most of its advice is really applies to newborns and the first 3 months, so if you should read it before returning to work because if you read it afterwards, it won't be very helpful especially when it comes to establishing milk supply and early troubleshooting. It does discuss pumping and storage with many helpful pointers more than general breastfeeding guides, so even if you pick th ...more
Karen Chow
This book had loads of information about returning to work while breastfeeding, which was exactly what I was looking for. I only wish that it had some sort of basic calendar highlighting when you should start introducing the bottle and start pumping and such. Just so it is clear and visual.

There was a lot of pre-cursor pro-breastfeeding info that I felt was unnecessary. But that could be because I went into the book knowing for sure (vs. wavering) that I wanted to breastfeed.

The meat of the book
Tasha
I thought this book was a well-balanced mix of practical advice and encouragement for mothers to trust their instincts.
Michelle
The 2010 edition of this book is a perfect addition to the library for women who know, from pregnancy, that they will be returning to work after their child is born. It covers early breastfeeding tips, ideas for returning to work and reminds parents that breastfeeding might make returning to work EASIER rather than harder on both mother and child.

LLL-vetted it is available in many LLL group lending libraries for LLL Members, so contact your local group to see if it's available.
alayne
I feel a little bit more confident about going back to work & nursing my baby after reading this book. However, I didn't think the book was an "essential guide." The conversations I've had with a couple mothers who have worked while nursing have been more beneficial to me than this book was. I also felt like the authors were really redundant and included a lot of irrelevant information. But some of the information was good and I'm glad I read it. It was easy to read.
Amanda
A very useful book for nursing mothers who are planning to return to work. Although some of the opinions in the book I don't agree with, the whole book itself was very informative. (There isn't a parenting book out there that I would agree 100% with). With suggestions, tips, and real mother stories this book has helped me to know what to expect and how to prepare to go back to work. From pumping to bonding this book covers a lot of territory and is a very easy read.
Kit Fry
Wish there was more practical advice for managing working while breast feeding. I don't necessarily felt like she missed anything, but it was more of a general nursing guide than I wanted or expected.
Also wish she approached it more medically rather than pop culture based. Co sleeping in the same bed is currently considered a significant suffocation risk. I do not recall her even mentioning the risk while she was pushing for it.
Linsey
Loved this book. Its the first book I've reas that really explained what to expect when breastfeeding. It also talks a lot about preparing to go back to work after baby and gives some great insight on how working moms can make breastfeeding while working full time a success.
If you are planning on breastfeeding or trying to decide if it will work for you, I think this is a must read book.
Kelly
This was a great overview of all the issues a breastfeeding, working mother will need to prepare for. And it actually had a good bit of information that would be useful even to non-breastfeeding mothers (child care options, flexible work schedules) or mothers who stay at home (breastfeeding basics, taking care of your baby and yourself in the fourth trimester).
Allison
Mar 12, 2011 Allison rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: nursing mothers going back to work
Great book for the nursing mother to read before her return to work. I found some great advice that I will take with me on my first day back at the office. I think its time for another revision of this book (last revision in 2007) because I found a few things that have changed (i.e. you are now advised to swirl breast milk instead of shaking it).
Kate
Most of the information in this I had already covered in other breastfeeding books, but I really liked the bits about continuing to breastfeed after returning to work as a way to keep the bonds between mama and baby strong. It was just what I needed as I am about to begin my 5 day a week pumping career when I get back to work.
Lisa
Liking the general support for working mothers (especially the emotional support and the acknowledgement that balancing work and motherhood is damn hard but doable), not liking the vagueness/lack of citations and inaccurate information. It's like talking to your aunt who is supportive but slightly out-of-date.
Leah
This is a great book for thinking about how to return to work after having a baby. I like their advice about using nursing as a way to stay connected to your baby. It also offers ideas about how to blend the mother in you and the working woman in you. Super helpful to new moms going back to work!
Michelle
I thought this book was excellent, the only problem I had with it was that I wanted more direction about how to transition from being at home to working while breastfeeding. That portion of the book was supportive, but mostly platitudes and general encouragement without a lot of specific advice.
Xana
Informative without bogging you down; discusses options without condescension or proselytizing; level-headed but considerate of your emotional response to returning to work. An easy, quick read which was most helpful and encouraging. The edition I read also had a pleasing dark blue font.
Jesse Menoni
this one had some strange ideas of spreading the joy of breastfeeding to the unwilling but other than that i thought it had some great ideas and instructions on how to get the most out of breastfeeding - including milk storage, proper technique and things that could go wrong.
Heidi
Good book to read if you are planning on breastfeeding while working full time. Explains a lot, gives good advice. Helped me to get a good picture of what to expect. This would be a book to read before you begin breastfeeding so you can be better prepared.
Melissa
Not nearly as practical a guide as I was seeking. Good information herein from foundations of why breastfeeding is important and how to seek space for nursing at work. I wanted more content about pumping strategies.
Stacy
This book saved me when I returned to work. It helped me realize that it was ok for me to have a career and be a mom too.
  • Mothering Your Nursing Toddler
  • The Nursing Mother's Companion
  • The Milk Memos: How Real Moms Learned to Mix Business with Babies-and How You Can, Too
  • Rediscovering Birth
  • The Breastfeeding Book: Everything You Need to Know About Nursing Your Child from Birth Through Weaning
  • Our Babies, Ourselves: How Biology and Culture Shape the Way We Parent
  • Adventures in Tandem Nursing: Breastfeeding During Pregnancy and Beyond
  • Ina May's Guide to Breastfeeding
  • So That's What They're For!: The Definitive Breastfeeding Guide
  • Active Birth : The New Approach to Giving Birth Naturally
  • Immaculate Deception II: Myth, Magic and Birth
  • The Breastfeeding Mother's Guide to Making More Milk
  • Your Amazing Newborn
  • The Ultimate Breastfeeding Book of Answers : The Most Comprehensive Problem-Solution Guide to Breastfeeding from the Foremost Expert in North America
  • Attachment Parenting: Instinctive Care for Your Baby and Young Child
  • The Birth Partner
  • Good Nights: The Happy Parents' Guide to the Family Bed (and a Peaceful Night's Sleep!)
  • The Politics of Breastfeeding: When Breasts are Bad for Business
Nursing Mother, Working Mother Nursing Mother, Working Mother - Revised: The Essential Guide to Breastfeeding Your Baby Before and After Your Return to Work Nursing Mother, Working Mother: The Essential Guide to Breastfeeding Your Baby Before and After You Return to Work Family Blessings for Special Moments Great and Small Nursing Your Baby: Revised