Start by marking “Foop!” as Want to Read:
Foop!

Foop!

3.23 of 5 stars 3.23  ·  rating details  ·  613 ratings  ·  80 reviews
Meet Joe, the ill-fated tour guide at the center of a story that beings with the death of Abraham Lincoln, at Joe's hands. There are strange happenings going on at Dactyl, Inc., the world's first and only time travel tourism company. So strange that Joe, a tour guide, is promoted to the new position of Chief of Probes. His first probe: find out who's been traveling back in ...more
Published March 24th 2005 by Eraserhead Press

To ask other readers questions about Foop!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Foop!

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. DickSomething Wicked This Way Comes by Ray BradburyPride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-SmithThe Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas AdamsI Was Told There'd Be Cake by Sloane Crosley
Best Book Titles
360th out of 2,232 books — 2,072 voters
House of Leaves by Mark Z. DanielewskiSloughing Off the Rot by Lance CarbuncleNaked Lunch by William S. BurroughsFear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. ThompsonThe Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka
Now That's REALLY Freakin' Weird...
73rd out of 266 books — 371 voters

More lists with this book...

Mark
First novel from some nutjob who likes to wear bear suits in his author photos. It's from a small press, so there are some typos (but what book doesn't have typos these days?), but dear Lord is this guy funny. I think he may also be borderline insane, but he manages to keep it together just enough to write one hell of a funny book. Fans of Palahniuk, Hunter Thompson, Augusten Burroughs, and probably Douglas Adams (because of the comedic sci-fi'ish elements) should dig Foop!
Amanda
This being a first novel I was super impressed. It did have quite a few typos, but almost everything does nowadays it seems like. The only author that has even come close to equaling the hilarity of Douglas Adams. It was so refreshing to read a so called humorous book that actually made me laugh. Reminded me quite a bit of Rudy Rucker, especially his book, Master Of Space And Time.

Overall, I really enjoyed it and would love to read more from this author.
Alan
Jul 24, 2009 Alan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Gropers for the absurd
Recommended to Alan by: The PCC library shelves
This is a crazy, loopy, surreal book. I ran across it quite by chance, perusing the shelves at a local community college library, and it was only after checking it out that I saw the cover blurb by a favorite writer of mine, Christopher Moore, that probably would have clinched the deal if I hadn't already been hooked.

Foop! was published by a local printing house, Eraserhead Press (though that site is now redirecting toward something called "Bizarro Central" that I'm not sure I like), and definit
Michael
Foop! starts off on a strong note, but it too convinced of its own wit to be anything more than a disappointment.

It should have been more entertaining and it’s trying so hard to be.

A Douglas Adams-like story about the absurdities surrounding time travel and its implication, Foop! never lives up to its early promise. The middle lags a lot and I figured out where the story was headed long before the main characters did. Whether it’s because I’ve read a bit of these type of stories in the past or i
Yvensong
Apr 06, 2011 Yvensong rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Yvensong by: Joe
I have to say, this was probably one of the strangest books I've ever read. It is hard to say I actually liked it, but I couldn't stop reading. I had to find out where these disturbed, lunatic creations of the author were going to end up.

There were a few issues that could have been fixed in the novel with tighter editing, but for a first novel, published by a small press to boot, this was not a bad start to what may be a lucrative career for Chris Genoa.
40 Forte
Another book, that's probably more like a 3.5 than a 4. However, as a 1st novel from someone it's definitely entertaining and the imagery inside is much better than average.

Time travel highlights one of the major themes, with a similar feel to elements of "Cat's Cradle" by Vonnegut.

It's got a share of humor as well as sci-fi, and the underlying premise of the difficulties and desires of human connectivity.

Solid effort.
Mykle
I'm a sucker for time travel stories, so Foop! is right up my alley. And it's witty as hell, though somewhat digressive and even rambling at moments. But as silly and far-flung and downright weird as the plot gets, it's never boring, and Joe's voice rings true through it all: funny, observant, yet so jaded and lonely that even time travel is "just a job," and not a good one.
Bradley
This is the best, and funniest, novel that I've read in a long time. Joe, the main character, really makes the book. I'm a sucker for self-deprecating characters that are a bit out of their head and really love the way that Joe describes his world. Highly recommended!
Carly
Hilarious... but I may have donated it to Amsterdam. Oops.
Kim Z
Sep 10, 2007 Kim Z rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of Christopher Moore
Shelves: goodstuff, novels
a fun read
Leah Wener-Fligner
When I marked Foop! "to-read", and subsequently found it at the library staring me in the face, I was delighted. Based mostly on the title, and somewhat on Goodreads' description, I was hoping to be caught up in a wacky science fiction adventure in the tradition of Douglas Adams. The sound "foop", you see, is what the Krikkit Masters' robots' ship makes when it departs (presumably through a wormhole) in Life The Universe and Everything. Well, I got about 100 pages in, the latter 50 or so by forc ...more
Tim
Aliens, robots, other planets, time travel, dystopias. All these archetypes of science fiction make their appearance in one fashion or another in Foop! , a first novel by Chris Genoa.[return][return]Foop! is a comedic and at times scatological look at where the Earth may be headed and why. Its hero is Joe, who, as the name implies, is just an average guy. Joe is a tour guide for the world's first time travel tourism company. He is assigned the task of discovering why persons unknown seem to be ...more
Cody
An Ok first effort. i thought there probably could have been about 100 pages less, because there was a lot of unnecessary filler content peppered through out this book. i also think this novel should have done away of the swearing and sex and just made this into a children's novel, i think it may have worked out better, could have made the story stronger and allowed the author to really explore the nether-regions of his creative sub-conscience. instead of going for a shock factor.

my major qualm
Jesse
This book is one of the slew that has been coming out of the west coast "avante-punk" movement that emphasizes the absurd and surreal. Foop! has it's moments where it almost becomes interesting--where the plot or ideas seemingly start to come together--but never does. It's a tale of a time-travelling tour guide who witnesses first-hand how his exploits begin to unravel the infamous but undefined "space-time continuum." In theory, this is a pretty fantastic idea but in execution, Chris Genoa gets ...more
Parallel Worlds
Eraserhead Press, 2005
Intended Audience: Adult
Sexual content: Explicit
Ace/Genderqueer characters: None
Rating: R for language, disturbing scenarios, and sexuality
Writing style: 3/5
Likable characters: 1/5
Plot/Concepts: 2/5

Joe is a time-travel tour guide, taking people to key moments in history so they can watch them unfold with their own eyes. Unfortunately, his insane boss Burk wants him to go back and prevent various unpleasant things from happening to Burk’s past self.

I picked this book up at
Rob
Sep 05, 2008 Rob rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Rob by: Amazon.com
Shelves: 2008, science-fiction
In my mind, Chris Genoa is some experimental plant hybridized in an Army research lab -- a little Warren Ellis pollen sprinkled onto the pistil of the Christopher Moore blossom. The experiment yields fruit but they're not taking it out of the greenhouse lab quite yet; perhaps further cross-pollinating it with the rare Tom Robbins tree? Time will tell...

As for Foop!: time travel is one of science fiction's oldest and therefore toughest tropes. Choosing to accept this assignment (in a poetical sen
Shayna L
Dec 29, 2011 Shayna L rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: no one but those who deserve to suffer
When this book begins, it's alright. Not stunning by a long shot, but ok. There's time travel, which is kinda neat. The plot has chances to become interesting. I'd have given it 3 stars just based on the start. Some things were less promising, though. Let's start with the characters.
Joe is our main character. He's boring and whiny and very lonely and, unfortunately, you have to hear the entire book from his sad POV. Joe spends a much too large piece of this book talking about how alone and despe
Aj
Foop! by Chris Genoa is an appealing science-fiction farce with healthy doses of amusing social commentary. I liked Foop! but wanted to like it more. All the ingredients were there, and it did taste good, but I couldn’t help but think that a dash more of this and a little less of that would have really made it a great read.

The story follows a rather overwhelmed and juvenile Joe, a time travel tour guide. We join Joe in crisis, having to step in for John Wilkes Booth and assassinate Abraham Linco
Dia
This is arguably the best book ever written. You should go read it now.

This is one of the few books I have read more than once and I have probably read it 5-6 times. I usually don't like the main character in books, but I love Joe. Even though I kind of don't like to admit it, I can very much relate to Joe. Sometimes when I am feeling down, I read this book to make me feel better about life. It is like therapy.

Here are a few things that make this book awesome:
- They travel in time.
- The shaved
Mick
I had high hopes for this novel but perhaps that was too much to ask from an author's first novel. Chris Genoa attempts to do for Sci-Fi/Humor what Terry Pratchett did for Fantasy/Humor. Well he fell short in a few key areas; the book isn't funny enough and the Sci-Fi isn't compelling enough for me to recommend this novel. Terry Prathett's first 3 novels were just so-so also, giving me hope that this author will improve.
Jim
Well, I expected a slightly bizarre, humorous read, and I will have to say that this delivered. Personally I would have rated the first half higher and the second half lower, but I am content averaging at four stars.

We start with the premise of a time travel agency that takes tour groups back in time to see interesting events, and eventually resolve to a strange multi-dimensional exploration of sorts. Of course, thinking this represents a hard sci-fi story is big mistake. We have blind, smoking
Phil
The author seemed to be concentrating too much on trying to be TOO surreal, to the detriment of the actual story. Missing links, random unexplained events of no link to the story, and far too much of the momentum based on rather dull coincidences, left you feeling a complete lack of sympathy for any of the characters, all of whom were quite unlikeable.

The world in which the book is set does seem like it could be interesting, but the book seems to not care about that and just throws in another '
John
It's got time-travel, aliens, ghosts, Abraham Lincoln, and a chimp trained in the art of hog-tying. So why wasn't it a better book? It made me laugh out loud a few times, but was ultimately a bit of a let-down. It's just tricky to write in first-person clueless-jerk narration. It worked for a while. The antagonist, Mr. Burk could have been made into a much better character too. I never really cared much about what happened to anybody, except maybe the mysterious Duo, Boogedy and Nibbles.
Apr 20, 2012 Sarah rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: scifi
Joe is a lonely, ugly, frankly pathetic time travel tour guide. After shooting Lincoln, though, he gets his first promotion ever, to Chief of Probes. His duty is to find out who is torturing his extremely unlikeable boss Mr. Burk at various points in his timeline. Burk himself is no help, due to the Shaved Cat Principle. In addition to this, and his own overwhelming ineffectiveness, Joe must deal with a pair of freakish stalkers, cultists with flashlights, and the unraveling of time itself. The ...more
I really liked this.. I've read a fair number of Eraserhead Press books and have found them hit-or-miss, especially as of late. I think the bizarro genre as a whole is that way though, more so than most others. Foop! had what a lot of bizarro fic books lack: a solid plot. So often authors are pushing so hard to be "bizarre" that it just winds up being a jumbled mess of forced strangeness without the benefit of a decent storyline. Foop! having a good plot makes it less "bizarro" perhaps, but a mo ...more
John
Jun 29, 2009 John added it
0 stars - Don't bother.
One of my guilty pleasures is absurd humor novels like stuff written by Douglas Adams (hitchhikers guide to the galaxy), Tom Holt (Beowolf), Christopher Moore (Fluke). I ran on to Foop by Chris Genoa while searching for reviews on Amazon.com for Tom Holt books. Amazon has a section of "People who liked the book you're searching for also liked......" It sounded crazy and funny so I thought I'd give it a try. Dick has a 50 page rule before quitting, I tend to give an auther
Rebecca
It started out strong, but then just fizzled and I didn't care what happened in the end. The changes in font were obnoxious and served no purpose; I think it was an error in the typesetting. The story could have been magnificent, a mix of science fiction, religion, and the foibles of man, but instead it is just silly and slightly boring. The time travel aspects could have been so well done! It's rare I don't finish a book, but this one was left unfinished.
Cara
Jun 07, 2011 Cara rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011
Zany, out-there and non-sensical storyline. I can't say Genoa is like Hunter S Thompson, but the main character Joe reminded me a lot of Johnny Depp's interpretation of Raoul from Fear and Loathing - without the drugs. Intentional? *shrug*

Some database out there thinks Chris Genoa is similar to Tom Robbins - which I don't agree with, other than Foop! being uncategorizable. Their writing styles are nothing alike, but each enjoyable in their own ways.
Denise
Dear person who sent this to me: I love you. But don't EVER do that again. ;-)

Starts out novel, funny, interesting. Quickly deteriorates to scatological, silly, depressingly stupid. It's like Genoa ran out of gas and couldn't remember why he was writing the book. I couldn't remember why I was reading it.

Perhaps there are folks out there with intellects greater than mine -- or folks who own TVs and are more culturally savvy -- but I just didn't get it.
  • Shatnerquake
  • House of Houses
  • Pseudo-City
  • The Bizarro Starter Kit (Orange)
  • Some Things Are Better Left Unplugged
  • Piecemeal June
  • Angel Dust Apocalypse
  • Zerostrata
  • Sky Tongues
  • Starfish Girl
  • Sorry I Ruined Your Orgy
Chris Genoa is the author of Foop! (2005, Eraserhead Press), Lick Your Neighbor (2010, Eraserhead Press), and The Monkey & the Barrel (2011).
More about Chris Genoa...
Lick Your Neighbor