Start by marking “The Unofficial Mad Men Cookbook: Dine like Draper and Drink like Sterling: Recipes to Satisfy a Mad Men Appetite” as Want to Read:

UNOFFICIAL AND UNAUTHORIZED

The appeal of AMC's award-winning period drama Mad Men, shortly to begin its fifth season, lies as much in its painstaking portrait of 1960s America as in the emotional lives of its characters. In The Unofficial Mad Men Cookbook, Judy Gelman and Peter Zheutlin explore the show's culinary backdrop, from the food we see on the table at Sterling C

Published November 29th 2011 by Smart Pop

To ask other readers questions about The Unofficial Mad Men Cookbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Unofficial Mad Men Cookbook

Tracey
Nov 14, 2012 Tracey rated it really liked it
I never read a cookbook cover to cover. My rationale with cookbooks is to flip through – pictures? Good. Lots of pictures? Great. A variety of recipes? Very good. Lots of caviar and truffles and other ingredients I couldn't bring myself to buy even if I could afford them? No thanks. And then if I buy the book it will go on a shelf until I need a recipe from it; if I agree to review a book (as I did with this from Netgalley) I will page through it to form an intelligent opinion of the layout and ...more
Jeanette Johnson
Nov 04, 2012 Jeanette Johnson rated it really liked it
This was insightful and interesting. More of a historical piece than a cookbook. I have not seen Mad Men but I do love the time period and the classy elegance of it. The book was perfectly descriptive in this manner and one could see themselves in that role. This would be a fantastic reference if you were going to throw a party in this time period. I appreciated the research needed to find just the right recipes to portray the refinement and sophistication of the era.
Caitlin
May 03, 2013 Caitlin rated it it was amazing
I received a free ebook copy of this from Netgalley.

First things first: I was instantly impressed with the dedication that the editors seemed to show, for this cookbook. The introduction tells us that the goal was to create it as true to the time period as possible, including digging up the older versions of recipes from restaurants seen in show. They didn't satisfy themselves with just getting the recipes, they made sure they were historically accurate. As someone who is at times disappointed b
Ms. Please Pass The Books
The Unofficial Mad Men Cookbook: Inside the Kitchens, Bars, and Restaurants of Mad Men is an unauthorized compilation of recipes for the ultimate Mad Men fan. Pulled from other cookbooks of the era, each cocktail, appetizer, salad, main course, and dessert featured has a prologue with a Mad Men reference and a bit of history.

If you are looking for a fun gift for a Mad Men fanatic, this little gimmick will do the trick. I'd wrap this book up with a set of martini glasses and stir sticks and call
Isabella Ayub
May 13, 2016 Isabella Ayub rated it really liked it
Grande livro pra quem é fã da série. Trabalho cuidadoso, envolveu muita pesquisa pra reproduzir drinks e pratos exatamente da forma que eram feitos na época, com os mesmos ingredientes e nas mesmas condições. Só senti falta de mais fotos.
Jana Perskie
Jan 16, 2012 Jana Perskie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
"Chop Suey" is a gem of a book which gives the reader a fascinating glimpse of the history, politics, and cuisine of two widely disparate countries, China, (The Middle Kingdom), and the U.S. This volume just came out in bookstores today, July 16, and I really hope it receives the consideration it deserves.

American trade with the Middle Kingdom began in February 1784, when the ship, "Empress of China," captained by John Green, set sail from New York on a previously uncharted course - the only gu
Darren
Dec 02, 2012 Darren rated it liked it
A bit of a strange book, to be sure, that is probably aimed at the ultra-obsessive "Mad Men" fan. A promised look inside the various kitchens, bars and restaurants that featured in a (popular?) American television series.

The book describes best its raison d'être: "To ensure an authentic Mad Men experience, every recipe is introduced through a specific scene in the show. And to enhance your enjoyment of the food and drink we scoured period cookbooks and magazines for tips on throwing a successful
Nancy
Jan 06, 2016 Nancy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Dine like Draper and Drink like Sterling," reads the back cover of The Unofficial Mad Men Cookbook, Inside the Kitchen, Bars and Restaurants of Mad Men, by Gelman and Zheutlin and published by SmartPop. The 70 recipes are inspired by specific Mad Men episodes and offer a culinary trip to the 1960s. Recipes were culled from vintage cookbooks and magazines and were kitchen tested. Recipes include cocktails, appetizers, salads, main courses, desert and sweets.

My childhood family gatherings always
Tina
May 28, 2013 Tina rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
If you have ever watched Mad Men and are a fan – this is a great book. It has stories as well as recipes. Every time we watched this show I wanted a martini and my husband wanted an Old fashioned.

We still haven’t seen the final episodes of this series, waiting on Netflicks, but that didn’t keep me from enjoying this book.

There are recipes for so many good drinks: Old Fashions, martinis, Manhattans, Mimosas and more.

Food too! Oysters Rockefeller, crown rib roast, turkey tetrazzini, pineapple upsi
Ellen
Feb 13, 2016 Ellen rated it really liked it
I don't generally read cookbooks cover to cover, but this one was worth it. Every period detail is given, much like in Mad Men itself. I loved learning exactly what the characters were eating in all those posh restaurants, and which posh restaurants they were, exactly. The recipes are either from those legendary establishments or, in the case of home-cooked meals, from period cookbooks. True to the era, the food is prepared as it was then: the microwave is only mentioned once. I read this book l ...more
Joy
Nov 20, 2013 Joy rated it really liked it
This is a fun cookbook for Mad Men fans. It ties the recipes in with different episodes of the show. Most of the dishes are from cookbooks used in the '60's so there is definitely an authenticity with the period. There are also recipes from famous New York restaurants, many of which are still in existence, as well as photos of the restaurants dining rooms. Also included are some vintage ads for products used in cooking during that time.

The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars is that I wish the
mw138
Jun 09, 2015 mw138 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, cookbook
If you're a Mad Man fan, this will be a great book for you. It provides recipes for cocktails, appetizers, main courses and desserts from the 1960s. Each recipe is tied to a particular episode or scene from the show, and the author also gives a brief history of each item. Those who are not familiar with the show probably won't gain much of the kitschy, nostalgic enjoyment from the cookbooks that fans will, but I still think it's a fun and interesting book. I will definitely try out some of the r ...more
Greg
Jul 11, 2012 Greg rated it it was amazing
If you love the cultural history of the US in the early sixties, you'll love this book. Although each entry references an episode of the TV series mad men, you don't need to have seen them to appreciate the book. Each recipe is prefaced by the history of a cocktail, appetizer, meal or restaurant that the characters either ate, drank or referenced in an episode and gives a well-researched description, history or anecdote. The "chapters" are breezy so you can read them leisurely one at a time, or ...more
Naomi
Apr 30, 2015 Naomi rated it it was ok
I agree with another reviewer that this book would be targeted towards the Mad Man show fan. In reviewing this book, I found it to be a simple regurgitation of common recipes from that period of time. Some of which are still popular today, but easily found.

What I found to be most interesting to me was the clear research that the author did on the period of time and the photos surrounding the tidbits of information. In the end though, I am reviewing a cookbook, not a "trivia" book.

Review copy pr
Mary
Jul 20, 2015 Mary rated it it was amazing
I have to admit that I did not watch one single episode of Mad Men. I do, however, love this cookbook inspired by the series. Many of the recipes are familiar to me having grown up in the 1960’s. They evoke an elegance of that time when folks dressed for dinner and families sat down together. This lovely collection has a great variety from cocktails to desserts. In addition there are wonder vintage photographs from that era and tie ins to the Mad Men series. Whether or not you were a fan of the ...more
Katrina
May 25, 2013 Katrina rated it liked it
Each recipe in this Mad Men cookbook is related to or has appeared in an episode of Mad Men. The authors have included background info on each recipe. This made the book much more than a cookbook. It becomes a culinary history book. The details on the various cocktails featured was especially interesting and thorough.
Peter Bosson
Jun 21, 2013 Peter Bosson rated it really liked it
I received this book through Goodreads First Reads program.

I great companion to the show. Full of great facts as well as wonderful recipes. I loved the way the recipes tie into specific moments from the show. Worth looking at even if you don't plan to ever cook any of the food, though I would hope that people would try out some of the quirky 60's dishes.
Margaret Sankey
Apr 10, 2015 Margaret Sankey rated it liked it
This is culinary time capsule of a world before microwaves, when sophisticated food was steak and creamed spinach, and Mai Tais were a window to the exotic world of the South Pacific accessible to jet setters.
Angie
Apr 21, 2015 Angie rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks, arc
This is a great book for Mad Men fans. It has a lot of trivia regarding episodes, restaurants, food, and --my favorite--cocktails. Great gift idea for Mad Men fanatics and a fun way to indulge in your favorite show.
Lisa
Nov 10, 2011 Lisa rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2015
Reading through this cookbook makes you want to step back through time to enjoy dinner parties with friends and neighbors and to amazing everyone with your home bar tending pizazz! Now, the only thing left to do is to through a themed dinner party wit my favorite drinks and cocktails!
Robin
Sep 22, 2013 Robin rated it liked it
Even if you aren't a fan of Mad Men this is a fun collection of vintage recipes. Well-researched look into what Americans ate and drank (cocktails!) in the 1960s and the trends of the time.
Kristin Lundberg
Nov 18, 2011 Kristin Lundberg rated it really liked it
Love how they not only give you the recipes, they tell you about their history and tie it in to the episodes I mad men. Very cool. Wish every recipe had a photo, my only complaint.
Jeannette M
An interesting glimpse at the food and drink featured in many Mad Men episodes, with a episode guides, food history, etc., especially to the delight of my cocktail nerd boyfriend.
Lisa Mcbroom
May 06, 2013 Lisa Mcbroom rated it it was amazing
I don't cook but loved these vintage recipes. I was a child in the early 60's and this brought back memories.
Ellen
Dec 05, 2011 Ellen rated it it was amazing
Woo Hoo!!! Thanks for the cookbook!! I love cookbooks and have already devoured (pun intended) this one cover to cover. I am looking forward to making some of the dishes after the holidays!!!
Violet
Jun 08, 2013 Violet rated it it was amazing
If your a big fan of the show like I am this is a must buy. Not only does it have great recipes but history on the show and time period. Great fun...
Kara

So cool! Fun recipes of food shown on the show along with very cool tidbits of history about the food and the era.
Helena
Helena rated it it was amazing
Sep 13, 2015
Victor
Victor rated it liked it
Feb 06, 2014
Jasmine
Jasmine rated it it was amazing
Nov 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Let's Bring Back: The Cocktail Edition: A Compendium of Impish, Romantic, Amusing, and Occasionally Appalling Potations from Bygone Eras
  • A Friday Night Lights Companion: Love, Loss, and Football in Dillon, Texas
  • Mad Men: the Illustrated World
  • A Return to Cooking
  • The Fashion File: Advice, Tips, and Inspiration from the Costume Designer of Mad Men
  • Fashionable Food: Seven Decades of Food Fads
  • Mad Men Unbuttoned: A Romp Through 1960s America
  • Gastroanomalies: Questionable Culinary Creations from the Golden Age of American Cookery
  • Comfort Food Makeovers
  • Mad Men and Philosophy: Nothing is as it Seems
  • Martha's Entertaining: A Year of Celebrations
  • Unraveling the Mysteries of The Big Bang Theory (Updated Edition): An Unabashedly Unauthorized TV Show Companion
  • Triumph of The Walking Dead: Robert Kirkman's Zombie Epic on Page and Screen
  • What Katie Ate: Recipes and Other Bits & Pieces
  • Out of the East: Spices and the Medieval Imagination
  • The Real Mad Men: The Remarkable True Story of Madison Avenue's Golden Age
  • Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives: The Funky Finds in Flavortown: America's Classic Joints and Killer Comfort Food
  • 100 Recipes Every Woman Should Know: Engagement Chicken and 99 Other Fabulous Dishes to Get You Everything You Want in Life
Judy Gelman is co-author of The Unofficial Mad Men Cookbook. She is co-author of The Book Club Cookbook: Recipes and Food for Thought from Your Book Club's Favorite Books and Authors (Penguin, 2004), the first cookbook designed for book discussion groups. The second edition of The Book Club Cookbook will be published in 2012. She is also co-author of The Kids' Book Club Book: Reading Ideas, Activi ...more
More about Judy Gelman...