Start by marking “Showdown with the Shepherd (Imagination Station, #5)” as Want to Read:
Showdown with the Shepherd (Imagination Station, #5)

Showdown with the Shepherd (Imagination Station #5)

4.35  ·  Rating Details  ·  98 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
The key to adventure lies within your imagination Cousins Patrick and Beth go to the Holy Land in the tenth century BC. Their goal is to get back the ring Hugh stole and return him to 1450s England where he belongs. But troubles await them as soon as they step out of the Imagination Station. First they meet an angry bear and later an angry giant. Set against the backdrop o ...more
Published October 1st 2011 by Focus on the Family Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Showdown with the Shepherd, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Showdown with the Shepherd

Faye
Aug 29, 2012 Faye rated it really liked it
A Biblical adventure in the Imagination Station.

Patrick and Beth are on a mission to find the ring stolen by Hugh and return him to his proper time. When they step out of the Imagination Station Beth and Patrick are flung into a full blown adventure!

I think that this particular novel in the series was especially cool because Beth and Patrick traveled back to Bible times, during the time when David faced the giant. What I love about these books is that they are so children friendly with big prin
Ruth Sophia
Aug 28, 2014 Ruth Sophia rated it liked it
Difficult to pull off a Biblical story, but overall not bad

I'd give this book 3.5 stars if I could, but I can't. It's not necessarily that this book is worse than the others in the series (solid average of 4 stars) but that it feels ... different when you're messing with the Bible. I think it's tasteful overall, but this one was a stretch for me, whereas I could usually accept the other adventures without issue.

Overall, I still recommend this book for early elementary aged children.

Word of warni
Kris
Jul 29, 2014 Kris rated it really liked it
Once again the eight year old cousins are off on an adventure, this time to ancient Israel where they bump into David just before he goes to the camp that Goliath is taunting. Unfortunately an evil knight from England has gone ahead and is trying to change history by showing the Philistines how to build a catapult. Can Patrick and Beth stop him and get him back to England? This one might be a little confusing for young children but entertaining for the slightly older one with the addition to the ...more
Elizabeth
Jul 14, 2014 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
In Showdown with the Shepherd, Patrick and Beth travel to Israel to find a stolen ring in order to take it back to England in 1450. While looking for the ring, they encounter dangers involving Goliath and a bear. As they see the story of David and Goliath unfold, they learn about trusting God even when it seems like failure is sure. This is a great book for young readers and not only does it have adventure that will appeal to kids, but it also has great Christian truths and historical facts inco ...more
Celena Janton
Jun 25, 2014 Celena Janton rated it it was amazing
This 5th book in the Imagination Station series is a bit different as it's based on a bible story (the others, so far, weren't). It follows the adventure of Beth and Patrick as they continue to uncover the mystery of the Imagination Station, Albert, Hugh, Lord Darkthorn, and the stolen treasures. This book is written at a 2nd grade reading level, but even I was captured with the story! Definitely a page turner that keeps you hooked and makes you want to read more about the real historical figure ...more
Brenten Gilbert
To be perfectly honest, this is what I expected when I heard about these Imagination Station books. A novelized version of Superbook or The Flying House. (Google those, if you need to.) Essentially, time travel, but to places and events from the Bible. I’m fine with that and there’s absolutely nothing wrong with this installment, but I’m kind of glad that more of history is covered by the series. I guess it kind of lends more credulity to the books and the Bible.

Now, the gist of the book. Beth
Louise Pearson
Aug 06, 2014 Louise Pearson rated it it was amazing
In this exciting story about David and Goliath, the cousins, Patrick and Beth, meet David who saved them with his slingshot from being eaten by a bear. They go with David to the war camp where they meet King Saul and hear David volunteer to fight the giant Goliath. Who is kidnapped when Hugh shows up at King Saul’s tent with a message from the Philistines? What had Hugh made that would enable the Philistines to win? What did Patrick do to prevent that?
Cristine
Jul 06, 2014 Cristine rated it it was amazing
Showdown with the Shepherd s Book 5 in the Imagination Station Series. This time Patrick and Beth meet David as he is about to meet Goliath. They are here to get a ring that was taken that was Mr. Whitaker's that a man from England from the last book had taken. He is also able to travel because of the ring. Now, you will have to read the book to see the adventure they go through to retrieve the ring. This was a very good book that goes quickly.
Amy
Jul 05, 2014 Amy rated it it was amazing
Showdown With the Shepherd is the fifth book of the Imagination Station series. This time Patrick and Beth get to meet the young shepherd boy, David. They get to live through the Biblical story involving their new friend, David and Goliath. They, also, had another meeting with troublemaker, Hugh. He just doesn’t give up.
I liked this book. It was enjoyable to “meet” David.
5 stars
Cathy Cramer
My 4th grader picked out this book as a favorite one of the series for me to read. It's a quick read. I think the 4th grader liked "living into" a known Bible story. This one is David and Goliath, and that part of the story stays pretty true to the Biblical version. The parts about chasing Hugh and about the catapult, of course, is not in the Bible.
Aaron Gannon
Mar 06, 2016 Aaron Gannon rated it really liked it
Sam says: I like when they kill Goliath and when Hugh gets away and they call for him when he got out of the Imagination Station

Amelia says: I like when Beth plays her harmonica and when they save her from the Philistine camp. I like when they pretend to be a bear and Patrick ties the knot.
Joy Strickland
Aug 31, 2014 Joy Strickland rated it it was amazing
This was another great story in the Imagination Station books. It was really neat how they had written about David & his brothers. Once again, Hugh is causing trouble and Patrick and Beth are trying to capture Mr. Whittaker's ring from him.
Liz
Jun 09, 2014 Liz rated it liked it
This book takes place during the battle between David & Goliath. It encourages people to trust in God, but the sub-plot is the focus.
Tristan
Apr 11, 2012 Tristan rated it really liked it
It was a very good book because it tell parts of the Bible.
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
May 23, 2016
Jill
Jill added it
May 12, 2016
Miah
Miah marked it as to-read
May 09, 2016
Maria Swift
Maria Swift is currently reading it
May 06, 2016
Anne
Anne marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2016
Virginia
Virginia marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2016
Reagan
Reagan rated it it was amazing
Apr 19, 2016
Kyle Roberts
Kyle Roberts rated it liked it
Apr 17, 2016
Wil
Wil marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2016
Emma Womble
Emma Womble rated it liked it
Apr 12, 2016
Leanne
Leanne added it
Apr 11, 2016
Jennifer L Gouldsmith
Jennifer L Gouldsmith marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2016
Jacks
Jacks rated it really liked it
Apr 10, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Marianne Hering is a prolific writer, having written hundreds of articles and a number of books for children and parents. For nine years she worked for several magazines in Focus on the Family’s periodicals department and became the editor of Clubhouse, a Focus on the Family children’s magazine with a circulation of over 100,000.

As a mother of three children, Marianne is interested in parenting an
More about Marianne Hering...

Imagination Station (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Voyage with the Vikings (Imagination Station, #1)
  • Attack at the Arena (Imagination Station, #2)
  • Peril in the Palace (Imagination Station, #3)
  • Revenge of the Red Knight (Imagination Station, #4)
  • Problems in Plymouth (Imagination Station, #6)
  • Secret of the Prince's Tomb (Imagination Station #7)
  • Battle for Cannibal Island (Imagination Station #8)
  • Escape to the Hiding Place (Imagination Station #9)
  • Challenge on the Hill of Fire (Imagination Station #10)
  • Hunt for the Devil's Dragon (Imagination Station #11)