The Many Revenges of Kip Flynn

The Many Revenges of Kip Flynn

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  25 ratings  ·  6 reviews
It all started with a black rose and a rich young man. And a house with a creek running through it. And then there she was, Kip Flynn, standing beside her boyfriend's dead body and agreeing to take a large sum of money from the young man's father to keep quiet. As if she could have done anything else, being so scared and grief-stricken and maybe pregnant.

But that's not the...more
Published October 4th 2011 by Coach House Books (first published September 13th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Many Revenges of Kip Flynn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Many Revenges of Kip Flynn

Pooker
Ah, now I think it a delightful coincidence that I've been reading this book at the same time as I've been reading this year's Canada Reads contenders. If it weren't for Canada Reads, I might not have come across Sean Dixon and his books.

Come to think of it, if it weren't for Canada Reads and Sean Dixon and Angie Abdou and a host of other wonderful Canadian authors, I would not have succumbed to the evil but glorious world of Twitter. But that's a whole n'other story.

It was October or November,...more
Shonna Froebel
This wonderfully quirky novel absolutely enthralled me. Great story, great characters, great writing.
Kip is a young woman who works hard at a variety of self-employed endeavors, making a living and enjoying her life. As the story begins, she and her boyfriend Mani are entering a house under construction, driven there by Mani's outrage at the house owner's attack against their livelihood. Things go horribly wrong.
Kip, in shock, agrees to a deal in exchange for her silence, and wanders back into t...more
Leanne B
Very unique and intriguing read. I enjoy a good meta-narrative and appreciated the historiography. Also quite liked the way it used Toronto as a device - certainly recommended reading for Torontonians.

I wasn't in love the the last quarter of the story, particularly the ending, but overall it's a quick, enjoyable read. I actually envision this making a great graphic novel or series.

Wish I could continue reading about Kip - very cool character who I'd love see further explored.
Chantale
A literary thrill ride. Replete with 'Girl With the Dragon Tattoo' butt kicking heroines, Kip and Nancy. They battle the modern architecture of J. Cyrus York and his son in order to maintain historical Toronto architecture. A very loose comparison to Ann Rand's The Fountainhead could be made. Vivid descriptions leave your mind full of dreamlike images.
Leah Bobet
I don't know how this reads if you aren't familiar with a little bit of Toronto literature, local politics and planning, psychogeography, Kensington Market, and a couple hundred myriad other things that just edge into the picture enough to make me smile?

But if you are, it's like a love song. It is a love song.
John
A lovely homage to Toronto, and a fabulous read, with a wonderfully unpredictable plot.
Julia
Julia is currently reading it
Aug 20, 2014
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
May 23, 2014
Sarah SE
Sarah SE marked it as to-read
May 01, 2014
Tania Gee
Tania Gee marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2014
Sarah Vecchi
Sarah Vecchi marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2014
Brookbend
Brookbend marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2013
Christina
Christina marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2013
Kellie
Kellie marked it as to-read
May 31, 2013
Ann Hattori
Ann Hattori is currently reading it
Mar 26, 2013
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2013
Lynn Bornath
Lynn Bornath marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2012
Linz
Linz marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2012
Nico Dob
Nico Dob marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2012
SEAN DIXON is the author of several plays, including Billy Nothin', Aerwacol, The Painting, and an adaptation of The White Bone, Barbara Gowdy's novel about a community of elephants.

His first novel, The Girls Who Saw Everything (aka The Last Days of the Lacuna Cabal in the UK and the US), was chosen by Quill & Quire as one of the top books of 2007.
More about Sean Dixon...
The Last Days Of The Lacuna Cabal The Feathered Cloak (The Trilogy of the Tree, #1) The Girls Who Saw Everything AWOL: 3 Plays for Theatre SKAM The Winter Drey (The Trilogy of the Tree, #2)