Start by marking “Mystic: The Tenth Apprentice” as Want to Read:
Mystic: The Tenth Apprentice

Mystic: The Tenth Apprentice

TWO TEENAGED WIZARDS. ONE DESTINY.
Can their friendship survive their greatest test?

The Limpet Hall Orphanage for Girls in the impoverished slums of Hyperion is no place for two young girls to grow up. But Gisells and Genevieve have always taken care of each other, waiting for the day they will be released from the servitude of the orphanage--and secretly daring to study th
Published January 25th 2012 by Marvel (first published December 21st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Mystic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mystic

Kurt
May 28, 2012 Kurt rated it really liked it
Recommended to Kurt by: Matt
This is a charming story that gives an example of how high-quality comics can still work when produced for children. Yes, it's simple, with a very Disney tone, as two young friends find themselves rivals when one is chosen for an elite wizard school and the other is left to join a populist revolution. The one in school deals with well-designed mean girls and pretty purple magic visuals, and the other deals with.. well, with yelling and strategic mud smears to convey "poor/dirty" without blocking ...more
Victoria
Jun 12, 2014 Victoria rated it liked it
This graphic novel had all the makings of something that would knock my socks off, with its strong female protagonists, fantasy setting, class conflict, and art that was overall quite good. Purple-eyed characters are even a favorite fantasy trope of mine. Perhaps that is why I felt somewhat sad when I finished it; this book features a huge amount of great ideas, and I wish the series had been somewhat longer to flesh out all of the different plot points with more depth. The story began to feel v ...more
Jamil
Apr 29, 2012 Jamil rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, fantasy, magic
The story may be a touch slight, but its world is set up nicely. There definitely remains some conceptual juice and potential here for a continuing, girl-friendly series--It reads a lot like a Disney princess film crossed w/ Harry Potter. Thanks to David Lopez (w/ Alvaro Lopez & Nathan Fairbarn), the art really sings with that animation cel sheen.
Brent
May 21, 2013 Brent rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: all readers
Recommended to Brent by: these fine creators and The Book Nook
Totally charming: wonder what's up with these CrossGen titles since this publication.
Actually, my reading was the four issues put together from bargain bins.
Recommended.
Kerry
Jun 13, 2012 Kerry rated it did not like it
I just couldn't get into this one. I've read a lot of the original CrossGen books and this one paled in comparison and the art was terrible, which for me, plays a large roll in my graphic novels.
Fate's Lady
May 12, 2017 Fate's Lady rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
This was a fun and charming story about two girls who both use their cleverness and aptitude for magic to change their poor circumstances. Unfortunately, that puts the two best friends at cross purposes. I really enjoyed this GN, and I'm sad to learn that it seems to have been a one off. Wilson is a terrific writer.
Tsana Dolichva
Jun 08, 2015 Tsana Dolichva rated it it was amazing
Mystic: The Tenth Apprentice written by G Willow Wilson and illustrated by David Lopez is a four issue series about two orphan girls in a secondary fantasy world. It's basically what I'm used to getting out of a fantasy novel, but in comic book form. (And hence obviously much shorter.)

The story is about two orphan girls living in a crappy orphanage in a gas-lamp fantasy style of world. Technology is powered by aether and aether must be collected by magicians, all of whom of from the noble class.
***Dave Hill
Jun 03, 2012 ***Dave Hill rated it really liked it
Shelves: illustrated
Reprint (a bit skinny) of the 4-issue mini-series revamping the Crossgen "Mystic" title (whose properties were bought up by Marvel). Two orphan girls are best friends with a love of magic, but only one will be selected as the apprentice to the top magician in the land, while the other will be drawn into a growing revolution against the magical aristocracy. Fun time, good art, tween-accessible but adults can appreciate it, too. Lopez art is light-hearted and appropriately mystic.

The primary prob
Christopher Mclean
May 15, 2016 Christopher Mclean rated it liked it
I read this while on a Willow Wilson high after Ms. Marvel and A-Force, unfortunately Mystic doesn't quite live up to those.

The setting, art and characters are all excellent, perfectly creating an anime inspired, magical, steampunk kingdom that I would like to spend time enjoying. The story itself leaves a lot to be desired.

Everything feels very rushed and it's one of those books where it often feels like reading the recap at the start of each issue provides a lot of information and context tha
Jacqulyn
Sep 08, 2014 Jacqulyn rated it liked it
Like many, I enjoyed the story, despite some glaring similarities to a steampunk French Revolution and a running out of natural resources theme. But it did seem rather rushed once it got about halfway through, and I would have liked to see it fleshed out more. I'm not very well acquainted with the graphic novel genre, and I'd say this is probably my first steampunk encounter (apart from, maybe, a certain place in Avatar, but I've only watched the series), but like I said, I liked the story. I ju ...more
Nicholas
To be honest, I'm still learning how to read & appreciate comics. These 4 issues told a nice little story. The real appeal seems to be in the details, as the main story is thin. I enjoyed it quite a bit, but lack the vocabulary to describe the nuance. The text seems thin, but the whole experience is not.

I picked these up while waiting for Ms. Marvel 2. I've become quite the fan of Wilson's work. Alif the Unseen, Cairo an Ms. Marvel all all terrific. Mystic isn't quite as fabulous as her oth
Beth
Oct 26, 2013 Beth rated it liked it
Pretty darn good story: many existing fantasy tropes such as "poor orphan makes it to be apprentice magician" and "bffs with opposite personalities and appearances" but still some surprises, and it's always good to see girl protagonists in graphic novels, with a multiethnic cast.

Recommended for teen fantasy-graphic novel fans, particularly girls. Fans of "Foiled" will like this though it's not as well-written or original.

Do these 2 protagonists remind anyone else of Katchoo and Francie from Stra
Eleanor
Mar 14, 2015 Eleanor rated it really liked it
This was a really fun books. It’s about two young women who have a talent for magic. They get driven in two different directions and end up living each other’s dreams. It was really good being able to read a story about two young women and their friendship, and that shouldn't be so rare. It’s only four issues long but it is still a really well plotted story arch. Also the magic is really cool. It’s very technological and scientific. Well worth reading.
Rincey
Sep 13, 2014 Rincey rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014, comics
Read these four issues through Marvel Unlimited.

Cute little story. It has a lot of great elements to it and just made me wish there were more issues because it had a lot of potential to tell great stories in this world. If you have some time and are looking for something different to check out on Marvel Unlimited, I recommend it. I don't know if it is worth purchases, though.
Rona
Feb 01, 2014 Rona rated it liked it
This is another graphic novel from G. Willow Wilson. Like her other works, it plays on the intersection of magic and daily life in the near East. It is pitched to girls and young women; it is probably a better book for them than for me. This one gets a low rating because it is not for me.
I didn't find it nuanced enough, although there were a couple of laugh out loud moments.
Hannah Givens
Feb 07, 2016 Hannah Givens rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel, fantasy, ya
3.5 stars. The setup is excruciatingly typical, maybe even more than the original CrossGen version. But Wilson is awesome and her writing makes it good, and it deals with class in more specific and meaningful terms than most stories of this type. I just wish there was more, so the antagonistic relationship developed here could progress further.
Lissibith
Jan 12, 2012 Lissibith rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic-trades, fantasy
A cute story about two friends in a fantasy world whose plans and hpoes for their futures are tested and turned upside down. The art was lovely and vibrant, and while many of the characters were fairly one-dimensional, the main leads were both interesting. Overall, I thought this series was cute but too short and I hope that at some point they'll return to this world.
Jen Sylvia
Jul 31, 2013 Jen Sylvia rated it really liked it
While I'm glad this was released in trade, it's disappointing that this is all there is. It has a bit of a West Side Story vibe to it and I would sincerely have loved to have read what was intended for these to protagonists.
Joseph
Jun 27, 2012 Joseph rated it really liked it
It's good, but there's far too much story crammed into far too little space. I wish that there was more focus on Genevieve's story, rather than that of Giselle, which feels much more familiar, with its blend of "mean girls" school politics and Harry Potter wizarding school adventures.
Marco
Jan 08, 2016 Marco rated it liked it
After a promising, though not entirely cliche-free, beginning the Story progresses too quickly, very much going through the motions, with the ending feeling rushed and stuck on to something that appears to have been meant to go on for a bit longer. Pity.
M
Jul 17, 2014 M rated it liked it
Very good premise. Felt a little rushed at times, but I chalked that up to the fact the series ended abruptly and was bought out by a different publisher. It is a shame this story wasn't given more time to flesh out and find it's feet.
Carli
Jan 03, 2015 Carli rated it liked it
This is a good option for fans of steampunk or boarding school stories like Gotham Academy or Harry Potter. I like the world that Wilson and Lopez created, but I felt that the book was a bit rushed; I wish it had been a bit longer to flesh out some plot elements more fully.
Minna
Not a lot to it; as others have noted, it looks like Alanna the Lioness (+) disney princesses (+) hogwarts (+) steampunk les miserables. The plot was a bit thin. I'm giving three stars nonetheless for the artwork. The book was fun to look at on the basis of the art alone.
Intisar Khanani
Jun 11, 2014 Intisar Khanani rated it it was amazing
Actual Rating: 4.5 stars

A quick and engaging read, with a fast-moving plot and a great set-up for the stories to come. I did feel like this plot wrapped up a little to quickly and easily for me, but I did enjoy it.
Holly Pracht
Aug 29, 2015 Holly Pracht rated it did not like it
Shelves: awful
ech. this was too short. seriously anticlimactic. I didn't expect such a small book to be all there was. and genevieve was a terrible person. gah. what a let down.
Snow
Feb 07, 2012 Snow rated it it was ok
Shelves: teen-comics, reviewed
reviewing for Good Comics for Kids
Nisah Haron
Nov 05, 2013 Nisah Haron rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
A great fantasy story! I want more!
Kirsten
Apr 30, 2015 Kirsten rated it it was amazing
Liked it a lot!!!
Dolores
Feb 18, 2013 Dolores rated it really liked it
Very classic story of destiny and circumstance dividing two lifelong friends. It's a quick read, but it has plenty of magic, adventure, humor, romance and tragedy to keep the reader engaged.
Raving Redcoat
Jan 23, 2016 Raving Redcoat rated it liked it
An interesting little steampunky tale of two orphan girls, a revolution, and an energy crisis. A quick read with some nice illustrations.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »