The Pocket Book of Modern Verse

The Pocket Book of Modern Verse

4.27 of 5 stars 4.27  ·  rating details  ·  33 ratings  ·  5 reviews
English and American poetry from the mid 1800s to the late 1960s, from Walt Whitman to Dylan Thomas. More than 500 great modern poems.
Published January 3rd 1979 by Pocket (first published 1954)

Sara
I found this book in a barn of a used bookstore, smelling like a used book. It's falling apart (I've taped the cover back on, but the edges are gone). A couple of authors on the inside cover have mustaches drawn on and there are banal notes on a few poems. But I love it. I love it more for all that. It's an amazing set of poems. I've said before and mean it, that if I had only one book of poems it would be this one.
John Freeman
For a while, my poetry shelf consisted of three books: this one, Contemporary American Poetry, edited by A Poulin, and Norton's World Poetry. After Twenty-five years, I wore out the first two, which were paperback/softcover editions. However, I've recently reacquired both.

Neither represent poets who are Modern or Contemporary, by today's standards. But that doesn't mean they don't rate a spot on every poetry lovers bookshelf.
Hannah Johnson
I found I enjoyed a ridiculous of the percentage of poems in this book considering it is an anthology. This book has opened the world of poetry for me single-handedly to poets such as WH Auden, EE Cummings, John Masefield, Robinson Jeffers, Marianne Moore, Louise Bogan, Alex Comfort, Frank O'Hara, and Bill Knottand provided fine examples of each artist's work. May not be too exciting for the established poetry reader as there are only a few perhaps well-known examples of each poets' work, but yo...more
Erik Graff
May 03, 2010 Erik Graff rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: poetry fans
Recommended to Erik by: Richard A. Hyde
Shelves: poetry
Richard Hyde and I went to high school together, were freshman roommates at Grinnell College and overlapped for three years as students at Union Theological Seminary. We were close in high school, closer still by the time we were in graduate school.

One of the ways in which Richard and I interacted was to share music and poetry. He was the more arts oriented, so most of the selections were made by him. He also had the fancy sound system while I had only an alarm radio. This book was one in his pe...more
Helen
I own SUCH an old edition of this it's not even funny! :) It's falling apart both from being old and from all the times I've read through it. Every time, though, I discover something new! I LOVE this book!!!!! Sheer, complex, ever-changing beauty :):):)
David
David marked it as to-read
May 23, 2014
Erin
Erin added it
Apr 11, 2014
Silea
Silea added it
Apr 04, 2014
Nick Dolan
Nick Dolan marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2014
Natalia
Natalia marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2014
Stacy
Stacy marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2014
Crugee
Crugee added it
Dec 31, 2013
Monica Madaus
Monica Madaus marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2013
Carter
Carter marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2013
Ernest Mares
Ernest Mares marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2013
Dan
Dan marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2013
Audioscience
Audioscience marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2013
Ali
Ali added it
Sep 02, 2013
Mayra Lopez
Mayra Lopez marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2013
Rogue
Rogue is currently reading it
Jun 10, 2013
Ginny Sweeney
Ginny Sweeney marked it as to-read
May 13, 2013
Marija Nincevic
Marija Nincevic marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2013
Juliette
Juliette marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2013
Candace
Candace marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2013
Willow Turner
Willow Turner marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Immortal Poems of the English Language The Mentor Book of Major American Poets The Mentor Book of Major British Poets The New Pocket Anthology of American Verse A Little Treasury of Modern Poetry: English and American