Start by marking “Antologia personale” as Want to Read:
Antologia personale

Antologia personale

4.45 of 5 stars 4.45  ·  rating details  ·  301 ratings  ·  28 reviews
After almost a half a century of scrupulous devotion to his art, Jorge Luis Borges personally compiled this anthology of his work-short stories, essays, poems, and brief mordant “sketches,” which, in Borges’s hands, take on the dimensions of a genre unique in modern letters. Some of this material had not previously been published in book form. English title: A Personal Ant...more
220 pages
Published 1981 by Longanesi (first published 1961)

To ask other readers questions about Antologia personale, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Antologia personale

Erik Graff
Apr 19, 2014 Erik Graff rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Erik by: Michael Miley
Shelves: literature
I rarely bother to go to see any speakers unless it is for some political cause when headcounts are important. Even then, however, I usually stick to the fringes of the crowd. It is so much easier to read a text than to hear it. It is so much more comfortable to listen to or watch a speech in the comfort of one's home and in accord with one's own schedule.

I made an exception for Borges, however, when he came to Loyola University Chicago in 1982 and spoke--quietly, for he was very old and blind--...more
Owlseyes
I liked Borges’ attempt to define a “classic”. Usually a classic evokes Eliot or Sainte-Beuve,… and others. Yet Borges prefers his own definition; a classic is “as if in its pages all was deliberate fatal, deep and like cosmos and CAPABLE OF ENDLESS INTERPRETATIONS”. As a major example he cites the “I king”: the 64 hexagrams allow for MANY MEANINGS.

He made some considerations on etymology and MEANING, which can undergo many transformations through time. Like the word “calculus” which originall...more
J.
Got this to reread the stories, alongside a first read of Borges' excellent lecture series Seven Nights. This compilation appears to consist of short fiction from both Labyrinths and Ficciones, along with verse.

If you haven't taken the Grand Detour of Literature that is Borges, this should be a perfect introduction. Nothing too inter-related or chronologically dependent, so can be read in any order.

You should know that you're involved in this already. Know that Borges wonders, and worries abou...more
Alonzo
This is one of my favorite anthologies. I continue to re-read several of the stories, poems and essays. Borges was a master of the author-identity concept. Many authors attempt to spin an identity separate from the "real" them which is the identity they present to their public, to their readers.

Borges writes that he wants the works in this anthology to be representative of his work; he wants these works to speak for him.

I don't read Spanish, yet, so I can't say how close to the original these t...more
Jeremy Bailey
Maybe the reason I pick this book up more than any other is because it puzzles me. I don't always understand his stories, some of them are very esoteric, if that's the right word, and yet consumed with structure, order. But every time I read one of them, I learn something new. Not like a new factoid about Argentina, but a new insight. His stories run the gamut - from the tales of murder and betrayal among the "gauchos" which would fit nicely alongside McCarthy to his fantastical and cryptic stor...more
Elidanora
La tengo en español, pero me gustó esta carátula.
En cuanto a los relatos me gustaron casi todos, algunos de los artículos ya los había leído en Otras Inquisiciones como Nueva refutación del tiempo, que aún leído por segunda vez me sigue costando entender (tal vez porque no entiendo nada de filosofía idealista), las poesías no me parecieron tan buenas.

Rita Varian
I don't know much about poetry, but I was pretty sure that with the poems in this book, a whole lot went over my head. Then a friend said that she studied some of his poetry as a literature major in her native Spanish, and Borges' poems were still really difficult and there's a lot to unpack, so I felt a little better.
The short stories and philosophical pieces didn't make me feel that was at all; the stories are electrical, and if all philosophers wrote like that...hmmm maybe I'm better off the...more
Althea Ann
A collection, edited and arranged by the author, of his favorite writings. It's described as being for a "reader who seeks a representative sampling of the great writer" and a "standard introduction to Borges in [English]."
I'd agree - there's a good mix here of short stories, essays and poetry. Some are well-known works which I've read more than once before' some more obscure (at least to me.)
As always, Borges' writing is lyrical, beautiful and thought-provoking.
اویس
divine,divine! thats all I can say!
something I will read,reread and reread!

Borges,

you thought me how to look at time how to feel the music of every grain,every particle of time,of matter the poetry of life..grasp it while you can!
Aaron
I've read some of these works before, but the particular order in which they're presented caused me to understand them differently. I now have a better idea of Borges as a specifically Argentine writer as well as a fantasist.
dusty.rhodes
This is a book of levels.
The structure,order and selection of the works in the anthology are all Borges. All but the translations.
If I picked one english anthology of his it would undoubtedly be this.

Borges and I.
4barbes
Quite necesary to keep in mind the great books that are the foundation of our culture.
A great testimony of the Library of Babel, an exemple of the shelve we can find in his books, in his line, in his thought.
Colie!
Jul 27, 2007 Colie! rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: musers
Good lord, this is shit is pithy. Didn't get the full five stars, because I can digest him only in small doses. But super rad indeed... some of these stories and essays will blow your freaking mind clear off.
Will
Do you like labyrinths? How about suspicious symmetries and meditations on time? Five pagers that feel filled with the import of a novel? Then you've probably already read this.
Robert
"Funes, The Memorious" is a story I just happened upon exactly when I happened to need it. Lovely, the chance gifts of life and the given attention to detail.
Joey
favorites were the circular ruins, chess, the golem, the other tiger, parable of the palace, the enigma of edward fitzgerald, the zahir, the aleph,
Lani
perfect to read while comparing to the modern day streets of Palermo, now called "Hollywood" and "Soho". Borges speaks for a time now gone.
Antonio
If for no other reason than that it contains one of my favorite quotes of all time, that music is "an immanence of a revelation".
Nancy
This makes me feel closer to Borges because he put these stories and poems in this order. Of course that is a GREAT thing.
Lindsay
thoroughly enjoying this, best read under trees, y su epitafio la sangrienta luna. next up: collected fictions.
Pippa
Not really my type of reading. I didn't finish it. A bit like Herman Hesse. Some of the poems were good.
George
This is a significant gathering of Borges' work, all the more moving because it is Borges' own compilation.
Jeff
Mind-bending, scholarly, diverse, a great collection of interesting works by an influential author.
Enrique alonso
una seleccion persanal, al estilo de borges, acusiosa.
Numayr
wham bam thank you ma'am
Carlos
  • More Pricks Than Kicks
  • The Portable Dante
  • In Youth is Pleasure & I Left My Grandfather's House
  • Isla Negra: A Notebook / A Bilingual Edition
  • My Oedipus Complex and Other Stories (Penguin Classics)
  • Venus as a Boy
  • Bacacay
  • The Book of J
  • Models of My Life
  • Grimscribe: His Lives and Works
Jorge Francisco Isidoro Luis Borges Acevedo (Spanish pronunciation: [xoɾxe lwis boɾxes], Russian: Хорхе Луис Борхес) was an Argentine writer and poet born in Buenos Aires. In 1914, his family moved to Switzerland where he attended school and traveled to Spain. On his return to Argentina in 1921, Borges began publishing his poems and essays in Surrealist literary journals. He also worked as a libra...more
More about Jorge Luis Borges...
Ficciones Labyrinths:  Selected Stories and Other Writings Collected Fictions The Aleph and Other Stories Selected Poems

“Wątpliwe, aby świat miał sens; jeszcze bardziej wątpliwe, aby miał sens podwójny lub potrójny, zauważy niedowiarek. Ja sądzę, że tak właśnie jest; (...).” 1 likes