Start by marking “The EveryGirl’s Guide to Life” as Want to Read:
The EveryGirl’s Guide to Life

The EveryGirl’s Guide to Life

3.68  ·  Rating Details  ·  922 Ratings  ·  107 Reviews
Raised by working-class immigrant parents and later exposed to Hollywood's most elite experts in every field, Access Hollywood's, Today's, and Nightly News's reporter Maria Menounos reveals her EveryGirl secrets on everything: her systems to organize life, manage time, and ascend the ladder of success; her lazy woman's workout; her weight-loss tips (how she lost forty poun ...more
Published April 19th 2011 by HarperCollins e-books (first published April 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The EveryGirl’s Guide to Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The EveryGirl’s Guide to Life

Belinda
Jul 31, 2011 Belinda rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I don't know a lot about Maria Menounos but decided to give this a try. Most of the so called advice are nothing more than common sense household tips that probably you've all heard before. Others are simply laughable. Some of the tips she offers to readers are:

-Buffing your nails makes them look great
-Sleep helps you recover from a cold
-Don't drink sugary sodas or else you will gain weight
-Dress conservatively for a job interview
-Don't date a man for his money
-Be green ("I drive a hybrid car!"
Jill Kemerer
Sep 06, 2011 Jill Kemerer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this one. Tons of great pictures, easy-to-read short chapters, and practical advice. Maria certainly made me want to get organized! I loved the sample workout, the organizational tips, and other basic advice.

My only issue is her lack of awareness on the I'm-just-an-everygirl topic. I would say that calling herself an "everygirl" is a stretch. Yes, she understands the value of a dollar and exemplifies the DIY mentality, but when she talks about budgeting and then shows picture a
Meghan Krogh
May 03, 2016 Meghan Krogh rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: xx, meatsack
This is really somewhere between a 2 and a 3, but it's not good enough to recommend to others. Her basic premise—that it's easier to succeed and achieve your goals if you have a good foundation in your life—is accurate, but hardly groundbreaking. So get your home clean and organized, plan everything from travel to your meal plan ahead, keep your health in good shape, and be a kind person.
Chrissy
Apr 14, 2014 Chrissy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Materialistic girls
Recommended to Chrissy by: Amazon search
I will admit I had high hopes for this book, not so much as a source of life advice I never had considered before, but as a fun and easy piece to bring to mind some of he highlights of good advice encountered before. Though in many ways this book did do just that (hence my giving it a solid three stars), the author seems to have lost touch with the reality that is life for most of us: seriously, I doubt there are that many careers out there where success depends upon the model of car you choose ...more
Stella
I think Maria Menounos really pulled it off - all in one self-help book and superb advice on organizing, decorating, finances, emotional support, dealing with people, career, make up, exercise, healthy eating and clothing. (Not in that order)

I really enjoyed every chapter, even if I know that I could never be bothered spending 25 minutes a day on make up for example, but it is good to know how, in case I wanted to.

I picked up a lot of great tips and got inspired to do better in many areas of my
Holly
Jul 12, 2011 Holly rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I think this book would be perfect for a girl 16 to maybe 28. I think I am just too old for it. Most of the information in The EveryGirls Guide to Life seemed like stuff that is pretty obvious to me now, but might have been helpful when I was younger. Also Maria Menounos used the book to brag about her achievements over and over again, which isn't what I thought the book was supposed to be about. Some of her advice is also a little too preachy, not like a suggestion or giving the reader several ...more
Ashley
Aug 18, 2014 Ashley rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I mean, it's a CUTE book, don't get me wrong, but there's not much in here that we haven't heard before. It also grated on me how she kept putting in things like, "as you'll read later," like she was hoping to bait people through the book or something, and the "OMG PRODUCT RECOMMENDATIONS" for Pantene and Dermalogica. I know celebs have to stand by their own promo stuff, but in a book it just comes off a little too puppeted.
I really liked the section on organizing/renovating, though, and she has
Julie
May 12, 2011 Julie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Laughably horrible.

Self-aggrandizing in the extreme and utterly lacking in any sort of subtlety, thoughtfulness, or humanity. I put this right up there with Danielle Steel's book of poetry titled "Love" for sheer humor's sake.

Were she performing cliche femininity the way Stephen Colbert performs cliche conservatism, this would be a five-star parody romp. As is, though... yikes.

Carissa
May 26, 2011 Carissa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Yeah, okay, I saw this book on the news and thought it would be interesting and I read some valid tips and pointers for things like applying makeup and organizing your closet, but I have a hard time getting tips from someone whose closet it literally as big as my bedroom. Interesting read and some of her tips are very usable but most of the "tips" were for people who are rich, skinny and famous.
Destinyhunt12
There were parts I found very informative and helpful. I also liked how she talked about empowering yourself through self sufficiency. Which seems obvious but I have read books that promote the opposite, (for example that women shouldn't learn to change a tire. as long as she is pretty, she should always be able to find a helpful man.)

However her personal stories, were a tad self aggrandizing. Little blurbs about how many celebrities she has met and mostly stories of how she has always been in
C
Jan 29, 2014 C rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'd give it a 2.5. There was some good information and suggestions in here, and I appreciate her conversational writing style. However, when you have a home spa, screening room, and staff, I kind of feel that you just moneyed yourself out of the "everygirl" category.
Lindsay
Apr 08, 2016 Lindsay rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
I thought that this book was a 'self-help' book, but it was more of a 'lifestyle' book. The first part is about organizing your home which read more like a home improvment book. And the part where she talked about make-up and hair sounded like something from a beauty magazine. The Health and Fitness section was pretty interesting, about how she lost 40 lbs and kept it off by eating smaller portions and exercise. It had some good advice, but when I think of 'self-help' its more on how to improve ...more
lovelyandliterate
Jun 15, 2011 lovelyandliterate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: selfhelp
To be honest, I never finished reading this book cover to cover. I started off that way, but got through a few chapters and then started jumping around to things that apply to my life now. This is a beautiful book (the photographs are amazing) and Maria writes in a wonderfully conversational style but not everything applies to my life now.

“The Everygirl’s Guide to Life” by Maria Menounos is a great, down-to-earth guide to everything a modern girl might encounter in life. From decorating and orga
Maria Miaoulis
Dec 23, 2015 Maria Miaoulis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
She’s a TV host, actress, spokesperson and journalist. She can renovate a home and enhance a property’s value just as easily as she can organize any space, including your car. She produces films by day and interviews celebrities on the red carpet by night. More often than not, she does her own hair and makeup for star-studded events to boot.

She pushes boundaries as she ascends the ladder of success, but still remains the most grounded person in her industry. She travels the globe, keeps fit and
Victoria George
Feb 10, 2014 Victoria George rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So, to be fair, I did not read this book cover to cover. But the sections I have read so far have been wonderful. This is a book you don't read all at once, but you read when you need advice. Menounos' Guide to Life is probably the most helpful book I've read, especially as a 22-year-old just starting out. From organization to weight loss to redecorating, almost anything you could think of to begin your life is in this book. I have a feeling I will continuously be coming back to use this wheneve ...more
Emi
May 13, 2014 Emi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 stars with a condition. This is more for the girls out there starting out in life. It would be a nice high school or college gift. Most of the stuff seems geared towards the girl who isn't in a relationship. While there is a section on boyfriends I skipped it.
It is worth the read and I'll keep this book in mind for when my daughter gets old enough to want simple hair and makeup tips. :)
I look forward to Maria's next book
Julee
Jul 05, 2012 Julee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was pleasantly surprised by this easy, breezy read. Maria writes in a charming and accessible way, imparting useful tips and advice that young(ish) women will find valuable. There is nothing earth-shattering or provocative here, just good and sound info she shares from her own experiences. Her bits of advice are simple to incorporate into your daily routine to get more organized. She talks about everything from the importance of home ownership to makeup tricks - she's not a professional in any ...more
Abby Foster
Mar 07, 2014 Abby Foster rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Renae
Dec 07, 2014 Renae rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Knowing that this celebrity, who I've admired for years, has the very same struggles as myself or anyone else makes this book even better, if that is possible. I highlighted so many sections in this book that I know I will refer back to over & over. It is sage advice & tip for everyday life. I absolutely love it!
Tracy
Jan 22, 2014 Tracy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The tips and information in this book are simplistic (boyfriends like girls that let them watch sports) or for the wealthy (steam showers and screening rooms for everyone!). I think Maria looked at the world and decided women were lacking common sense do she wrote some basic things down to help the Everygirl. If you are a Maria Menounos fan definitely give this book a read, you'll appreciate all the horn tooting she does.
Nadia  Saar
There is some practical advice for any woman looking to be successful. I don't know how much time you'll have for all of the organizational tips, but if you do one thing, take the small tips for travel and picking up after yourself. Honestly, the tips are common sense, but useful.
Tonya
Aug 21, 2014 Tonya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This is definitely a lifestyle book and one that is great for someone that is just starting out by herself. At first I attempted to read it straight like a regular book, but then it dawned on me its usefulness better served me by jumping around.
Myriah
Aug 15, 2011 Myriah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm really impressed with this book. Most "Guides to Life" are dumb and filled with useless information like, "Don't text while drunk." Instead, Maria does this awesome thing where she assumes everyone who is reading her book is smart, driven, and capable. She handles a lot of different things in her life, and tells us how we can handle and do it all as well. She never says there is only one way of doing something, but shares her experiences and details how we can accomplish the goals we want to ...more
Jillian
I read this after Maria Menounos offered to help my rescue group, The Animal Match Rescue Team (amrt.net), with adoption events after some of our volunteers met her on KTLA. Everyone raved about her and since my roommate bought her book, I read it too.

Honestly, at first I thought it was silly, especially the decorating advice. Most of us can't afford hot tubs or screening rooms, however I did find some good advice in here that I haven't read anywhere else. Also, Menounos convinced me to buy pep
Audra
Jul 08, 2012 Audra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nook-book
This is more than worth reading. Great advice for any woman but especially good advice for the single woman getting out in the world and taking care of herself. I read 96% of the book. I skipped through the chapter about makeup and hair. It is all good advice but having a different skin type and hair type I took what I thought I could use from it. I completely skipped the routine part of the exercises. I have gone to a trainer before and I go to a gym on and off and know what works for me. Readi ...more
Helen
Jul 13, 2015 Helen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots of good info on organizing from A-Z. Especially written for young women. I purchased the book learn more about Maria Menounos. There is a little about her. I would recommend to young women.
Jessica Sabo
Jul 25, 2014 Jessica Sabo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Basic guide on how to live a healthy, well-organized, and classy life. Some of the advice is not applicable to the everyday girl, but I still enjoyed it.
Minna
As other reviewers have mentioned, not the most original guide out there. But I did get several good ideas, and was entertained. I think Maria Menounos is super cute and I appreciate her honesty in telling the reader what works for her (which is really what guides are about, aren't they?).
I especially appreciated Maria's makeup and skincare picks, as I have similar skin and skin tone. Obviously they are not for everyone, but that's the nature of the beast. This book had some bits and pieces tha
Michele Malta
Aug 19, 2016 Michele Malta rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This advice is sorely needed for many ladies out in the modern world. What a "smart cookie" Maria is.
Courtney Cahoon White
Eh. Nothing that's rocket science here. Thought it would be more original - and Maria is not the greatest writer.
  • The Everyday Supermodel
  • Green Chic: Saving the Earth in Style
  • Freakin' Fabulous: How to Dress, Speak, Act, Eat, Sleep, Entertain, Decorate, and Generally Be Better Than Everyone Else
  • 20th Century Fashion: 100 Years of Style by Decade and Designer, in Association with Vogue.
  • Slaying the Debt Dragon: How One Family Conquered Their Money Monster and Found an Inspired Happily Ever After
  • Very Classy
  • Shift Your Habit: Easy Ways to Save Money, Simplify Your Life, and Save the Planet
  • Organizing Your Day: Time Management Techniques That Will Work for You
  • The Girl's Guide to Absolutely Everything: Advice on Absolutely Everything
  • You Can Do It!: The Merit Badge Handbook for Grown-Up Girls
  • Living The Savvy Life: The Savvy Woman's Guide to Smart Spending and Rich Living
  • Three Black Skirts: All You Need to Survive
  • Gorgeously Green
  • The Biggest Loser Simple Swaps: 100 Easy Changes to Start Living a Healthier Lifestyle
  • Have a New Husband by Friday
  • The Cute Book
  • Cupcakes and Cashmere: A Guide for Defining Your Style, Reinventing Your Space, and Entertaining with Ease
  • Beauty: The New Basics
Maria Menounos is a Greek-American actress, journalist, and television presenter known in America for her appearances as a correspondent for Today and Access Hollywood, and abroad for co-hosting the Eurovision Song Contest 2006 in Athens, Greece.
More about Maria Menounos...

“minds must remain in possibility” 3 likes
“Embrace your losses like you do your victories...you'll discover they're just preparing you for a greater victory in the future.” 2 likes